New TV-Soap Opera Effect- Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having read through many threads, I am aware that the 'soap opera effect' isn't exactly a popular effect and that's fine. However, I really like it and I am looking to upgrade to a new Full HD LED and the SOE is a big must for me. I'm not the most technically astute but it is my understanding that this effect is only created with a refresh rate of 120hz+. Correct me if I am wrong. I have scoured the internet for sale TV's with high refresh rates and the ones within my price budget have been misleading upon further investigation. For example, I have seen TV's advertising a 200hz refresh rate and then searched for reviews of the model and seen it is in fact operating at 50/60hz.

It'd be great if anyone can recommend any 40-50 inch LED's with SOE, with a maximum price point of £550. I don't want to open up a discussion over why SOE is good or bad, I like it and it's my own personal preference. Any suggestions would be great as I am losing my mind searching TV after TV and not really getting anywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Most all tv's are 60Hz (or 50Hz). 120Hz tv's are 60x2 = 120. Each frame is played twice, in simple terms. Anything above that is just multiples of 60 (or 50). TV mfs call their motion interpolation alogrithms by different names. LG, for example, calls theirs TruMotion. Besides the doubling etc of the refresh rate, most also offer controls to fine tune motion interpolation which are judder and blur. How good the implementation is will vary from mfr to mfr. Because everyone can perceive motion interpolation differently (some love it, some it makes sick, others are in the middle) you need to find a couple of tv's in your price range, look at the other features, and then see if you can "interview" them at a local store.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Take a look at the Sammys! I love interpolation too!

matrixj
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page