Angled Ceiling Mount? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am moving into a house where my bedroom is going to be on the second floor and the only walls are angled. There is no room for a TV stand or dresser with a television. My only choice is to mount the TV onto the ceiling wall diagonal from my bed so the TV would be angled directly at me but would be over my feet. The wall is at a 40 or 45 degree angle. Is there a special kind of mount for this or can I use a regular wall mount and hit as many studs as possible?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any reasons why this or this or this or this or this would not work? These appear to have a circular arm which I'd think would allow another axis for when the ceiling is not pitched directly at or away from where the TV needs to face.

I pursued hanging a TV from a ceiling with something flexible like chain or cord so that it roll with the bumps it would take and there wouldn't be any new holes in the irreplaceable wood panelling on the wall. The only problem was that it needed a yet-to-be-invented mechanism that precisely controls the balance so that viewing angle can be fixed. It didn't seem all that complicated, something someone who took metalshop at the JC could handle. Hanging by a cord isn't too far fetched. Research came across a couple intended for hanging a TV like a picture frame.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by equivocal View Post

Any reasons why this or this or this] or this or this would not work? These appear to have a circular arm which I'd think would allow another axis for when the ceiling is not pitched directly at or away from where the TV needs to face.

I pursued hanging a TV from a ceiling with something flexible like chain or cord so that it roll with the bumps it would take and there wouldn't be any new holes in the irreplaceable wood panelling on the wall. The only problem was that it needed a yet-to-be-invented mechanism that precisely controls the balance so that viewing angle can be fixed. It didn't seem all that complicated, something someone who took metalshop at the JC could handle. Hanging by a cord isn't too far fetched. Research came across a couple intended for hanging a TV like a picture frame.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not have the room for a dropped down pole from the ceiling. I am wondering if it would be okay to use a regular wall mount on the angled ceiling? The angle of the ceiling plus tilting the mount a little should put the screen at a good angle. I just want to make sure the mount will be able to hold the TV. Do you think there would be a problem?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The most important issue I see is being darn sure that your method of attaching the mount to the ceiling will support the weight of your TV and mount combined with ZERO possibility of failure. i.e. at least two ceiling joists with multiple lag screws or whatever..

If you're not familiar with construction, hite someone who is.

Another option would be a nice pedestal type floot stand, if there is such a thing, but I have no idea what size TV we are talking here...

Good luck. smile.gif

Dave

post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGUy View Post

Unfortunately I do not have the room for a dropped down pole from the ceiling. I am wondering if it would be okay to use a regular wall mount on the angled ceiling? The angle of the ceiling plus tilting the mount a little should put the screen at a good angle. I just want to make sure the mount will be able to hold the TV. Do you think there would be a problem?

That's something noted in the reviews--the extensions put the TV down at tabletop level. But, nice thing about "too long" is it can be fixed with a hacksaw. Depending on the specifics, the actual drop needed could be a little as 6".

The most tilt I've seen for a regular wall mount is 15 degrees. So on your wall the TV will be tilted at least 25 degrees which will make for tough viewing (plus whatever yaw is needed for the "diagonal" you mentioned will leave the TV unlevel). Maybe a megashim fashioned out of dimensional lumber, say a 2x6, to create a vertical plane to attach one of the many kinds of regular mounts to.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page