LED vs Plasma question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I noticed that some of the newer LED TV's seem to have a more "actual" feel to them. Like when watching a scene, the image seems more "live" if that makes any sense. My plasma by comparison looks smoother and arguably more fluid, but there are a few LED screens I have seen that just look like the image pops out or something. Why is that? And what is that called?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
You're probably referring to the soap opera effect. Personally I don't like it but then I'm a film fan not a soap opera fan smile.gif. The technology is LCD vs plasma, too (LCDs can be lit by both LEDs and CCFLs).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Liked: 14
I've noticed the same with watching my sisters samsung led. Also, it looks like you can see details about the lighting in the scene more too, almost to a fault. Watching Captain America I found myself thinking about how the scene was lit and with what type of lights, etc. Plasma is smoother. Makes me wonder whats more correct or accurate.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
When you want to make a comparison both Plasma and LCd should be pro-calibrated and source should be clean (blu-ray).
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 10
Hi

Let me give you my subjective view on this matter.
I dislike Plasma exactly because of this "alive" effect, I much prefer the smooth and exact image of the LCD. The plasmas got better over the year (meaning less "vibrating" pixels) but I still see and really don't like it.
That doesn't mean the picture is worse on one of both, not at all, it's just a very personal decision.
In other words, go to a shop and compare your favorite technology and then choose the right tv for you smile.gif
Some years ago were big differences in contrast, colors and fluidity (lag, tearing) of the image between the technologies, but today are both extremely alike.

pato
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I don't know if that effect has a name, but I have noticed people tend to like or dislike it. I personally would much rather watch motion blur than any type of motion interpolation. I have met many of people who think it is amazing.

I believe by nature LCD TVs motion processing creates this effect.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

I don't know if that effect has a name, but I have noticed people tend to like or dislike it. I personally would much rather watch motion blur than any type of motion interpolation. I have met many of people who think it is amazing.

I believe by nature LCD TVs motion processing creates this effect.

The effect was named above in a previous post. It's collectively called SOE (Soap Opera Effect) and gives watching tv the appearance of watching a Soap Opera show (that "live" feeling). It is caused by motion interpolation algorithms (which has various names depending on the mfr) and the quality of implementation can vary significantly from mfr to mfr.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Vs Led , Led Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv