Over 10 years outta the game! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Johninperth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,
It has been over a decade since I have been fully immersed in the the HIFI world, so please excuse my barrage of noob questions that will follow in the coming weeks.
I currently have a 58" Samsung plasma ps58c7000 that I'm looking at replacing, and I'm not sure what brand, model etc to look at for a replacement.
My current setup:
7.1 speakers
Yamaha rx-a1020
Bluray
3m viewing distance
Dark room

I basically want a tv that has better picture quality, larger than 58" and will last for another 4 or so years, but I do t want to spend close to 20k on a 4k tv.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Johninperth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
fritzi93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
At your viewing distance in a dark room, and coming from a plasma, have a look at 65" Panasonic plasmas. Cost effective, great PQ, big enough for your viewing distance.

Good luck.
fritzi93 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Johninperth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheers, is there any rivals in that price bracket?
It would be good to do a comparison in store

Panasonic 65" plasma:
TH-P65VT50A $4500
TH-P65ST50A $2400

Samsung 65" LED:
UA65ES8000 $3800

Samsung 64" plasma
PS64E8000 $2400

Sharp 70" LED:
LC70LE735X $3500

(AUD in stores)

Is plasma still the way to go? Or should. Consider LED TV too? And I don't mind waiting a few months if there is something exciting being released this year
Johninperth is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
fritzi93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well, here comes the standard response: They both (plasma or led/lcd) have their advantages and drawbacks, This subject gets argued about a lot here.

I have a 7 year old 42" plasma still going strong, and a couple LCDs, and a 65" LG LED/LCD I got about a year ago. I don't regret getting the LED at all. It doesn't quite compare with current plasmas for black levels or most other respects, but it's "good enough". Newer plasmas are significantly better than mine, but LED/LCDs have improved as well, and my 65" LG looks better than my older LCDs And it's a lot brighter than my plasma with good whites, which may or may not be important to you. I watch a fair amount during daytime and don't want to darken my home theater, although I could. I also usually prefer some bias lighting in the evening and night.

It's going to depend on what matters most to you. The Panasonic plasmas are very well thought-of here, and reasonably priced. Again, since you already have a plasma, you should at least have a look at them. If you want an LED that rivals a plasma for picture quality, have a look at the Sharp Elite or a top-end Sony. If you're not a purist and your budget won't go so far, there are more possibilities.

Good luck.
fritzi93 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Member
 
Eric290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another vote for the Panny 65ST50. Tremendous value, and perfect for you since you are coming from plasma.

I vote against the Sammy 65ES8000. Not a BAD tv, but overpriced for the level of PQ. 70 inchers from Sharp & Vizio perform just as good, and even better in some categories -- for a lot less money. I consider the 70" Sharps & Vizio to be great LED values -- huge screen and decent performance at a nice low price.

If you want plasma again, I would go ahead and get the 65ST50 or VT50 now. If you want to try LED/LCD, I would wait and see the 2013 offerings. I think the 2013 LED/LCDs will have a significant jump in PQ over the 2012 models.
Eric290 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Johninperth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric290 View Post

Another vote for the Panny 65ST50. Tremendous value, and perfect for you since you are coming from plasma.

I vote against the Sammy 65ES8000. Not a BAD tv, but overpriced for the level of PQ. 70 inchers from Sharp & Vizio perform just as good, and even better in some categories -- for a lot less money. I consider the 70" Sharps & Vizio to be great LED values -- huge screen and decent performance at a nice low price.

If you want plasma again, I would go ahead and get the 65ST50 or VT50 now. If you want to try LED/LCD, I would wait and see the 2013 offerings. I think the 2013 LED/LCDs will have a significant jump in PQ over the 2012 models.
Is there much difference between the Panasonic ST and VT series?
It's a catch 22 ATM, do I get a 2012 model for cheaper prices or possibly get a better 2013 model for more cash...
Johninperth is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The review of the 65VT50 at CNET should tell you all you need to know. The 65VT50 is available for under two bits at several locations now.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Johninperth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The review of the 65VT50 at CNET should tell you all you need to know. The 65VT50 is available for under two bits at several locations now.
Thanks ill check Cnet out.
What does two bits mean?
Johninperth is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Browninggold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Depends on who's looking for me
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think 25 cents...I think he means 2 Grover Cleveland's and 5 Benjamins. Check out the deals thread for each TV you listed. Pauls TV has one of the better prices on units right now.
I just noticed your in Australia...I don't believe you have a Pauls over there.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Browninggold is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Eric290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninperth View Post

Is there much difference between the Panasonic ST and VT series?
It's a catch 22 ATM, do I get a 2012 model for cheaper prices or possibly get a better 2013 model for more cash...

The ST series performs REALLY close to the VT series with regard to picture quality, at a considerable savings. The VT gets you additional inputs, THX mode and additional tweak options, and the single glass front panel. Tough call to decide if the extra money for the VT over the ST is worth it.
Eric290 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Johninperth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric290 View Post

The ST series performs REALLY close to the VT series with regard to picture quality, at a considerable savings. The VT gets you additional inputs, THX mode and additional tweak options, and the single glass front panel. Tough call to decide if the extra money for the VT over the ST is worth it.
Thanks for the input, decisions, decisions!
Johninperth is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off