I need a TV like the Vizio E601-A3 but worried about viewing angle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I love everything I have read about the Vizio E601-A3 except the viewing angle. I have a room that has 2 recliners straight in front of the TV about 12-14' away and a 3 seat couch to the left of the TV. I am worried about the viewing angle. All the reviews seem to say that its great from the front but anything to side is washed out.

Is this the case? If so, what TV is comparable that can handle wider angle viewing close to same price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Suggestions?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
As a suggestion, if viewing angle is critical to you, is go to your local store, pace off the distance and angle from the demo tv to approximate your viewing angles, and see which tv gives you the best viewing. You may have to make compromises to accommodate your viewing dilemma.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 13
It's easy to see the viewing angle deficiency using the Disney WOW test screen specifically designed for this purpose. The test screen is all one solid color that changes its apparent color the farther off-axis you move. I do not notice this effect at all while watching normal programming. Doesn't bother me at all.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the OP wants a way to determine off-axis viewing before he buys a tv. An IPS panel (preferably S-IPS) would be a good place to start if he can figure out what the mfr uses.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Correct. I like the Vizio for the specs and especially the price. The problem will be if the viewing angle doesn't have a wide angle for people sitting on the couch to the side.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 218
LCd tech in general has a off-angle problem (most people won't notice) . btw this will be more of a problem with dark-room watching. Go check Vizio models out in the store, doesn't has to be a specific Vizio model, that will tell you a lot.

If you can't live with this LCd problem there is only one option...go Plasma.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

LCd tech in general has a off-angle problem (most people won't notice) . btw this will be more of a problem with dark-room watching. Go check Vizio models out in the store, doesn't has to be a specific Vizio model, that will tell you a lot.

If you can't live with this LCd problem there is only one option...go Plasma.

My LG LCD has excellent off-axis viewing (horizontally and vertically, at least at the angles that we normally use) during day-time viewing and night-time viewing with the use of a bias light. But I agree, in general that is one of the drawbacks of LCDs because it's hard to get the panel (S-IPS) with the best off-axis viewing.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 13
Off axis like in this picture?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/180#post_22563640

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sort of. Stand in front of the tv at dead center from the distance that you would normally be viewing it, taking in consideration if the tv will be wall mounted (vertical off-axis viewing) or on some sort of stand, and then start to walk left to right and vice versa. Take careful note of the sharpness of the picture and the brightness of the colors (black is a good indicator). If the sharpness of the picture starts to diminish or the colors start washing out (black goes to gray), note where you are standing in relationship to dead center. Where the colors fade or the sharpness starts to drop off, that's your off-axis viewing angle. If it's at an angle that you would not normally watch the tv, then you're ok. If not......... Off-axis viewing is totally dependent on the panel type, some are better than others and quite often you have to go to your local B&M and checkout different tv's to see what's acceptable to you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page