Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Albert Einstein once said:
Quote:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I bought a UN46ES6500FXZA a little over a month ago. I noticed that during a dark scene, there would be what is called "clouding". It's where the backlight is not even, and produces splotches.

I lived with it for a couple weeks and finally decided....if I paid $1200 for something, I should not have to live with any kind of issue.

I phone Samsung and created a ticket, a local TV repair company came out and picked the TV up.

The repair company replaced the panel in the TV.

While this get rid of the splotches to a degree, the problem is still there.

I did some reading on this particular set, and it appears it uses what is called "edge lit led".

This can cause this problem on certain sets. While the problem can be fixed to an extant, it cannot be gotten rid of.

So I called Samsung back, and told then it's still not right. I don't really like this model anyway. I cannot even watch it during the day, due to the very large glare from the glossy screen. I do not understand why Samsung uses such a glossy screen.

So I spoke with "Executive Customer Relations". I told them everything that occurred.

While I paid $1200 for this TV, there is a larger 3DTV made by Samsung, which is $400 cheaper. I would be happy if the set was replaced by this.

I was told by Samsung that for the TV to be replaced/refunded, that the TV would either need to be deemed non repairable, or repaired THREE times.

Now, mind you, I love watching TV, and I don't really want to do without one for over a month while this set gets fixed 2 more times, I also don't want to place this kind of burden on my local repair company.

So I asked if there is anything Samsung can do, and they said they are going to contact the Repair Company.

The company phoned me back this evening, and after speaking to a Samsung Engineer, they told me that I needed to run the backlight down to SEVEN.

I have owned 4 flatscreens since this set. I could run the backlight at it's full setting without any issue. A backlight value 7 out of 20 is also really dark.

So if Samsung is telling me to turn the backlight down low to fix it, then I can only assume that they know there is an issue with this model.

The repair company was also told by Samsung to not fix the TV, as there is "nothing wrong with it". Now how can a Samsung Engineer make such a statement, without ever seeing the TV in person?

I call Samsung back yet again. I asked to speak with a Supervisor, they are going to send all my info to the "review department" to make a final decision.

Here are several issues I see with Samsung's customer support.

1. If they tell me "turn the backlight down to 7 to fix the problem", then they KNOW there is a problem.

2. If they know there is a problem, and the TV has already been fixed once, then why on earth do I have to wait for a review?

3. Why on earth would a TV need to be repaired 3 times before they can do anything? I think that is insane.

4. How can a engineer tell me "there is nothing wrong with my tv"? I think it's rude to assume that I'm either making stuff up, or I'm a liar.

I will update this thread once I hear back from Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 18
Bleed through and clouding are very well know issues with LED tech. Full arrays typically perform better, but it will always be there to some extent. Also if your running your backlight at 20 then your washing out the picture anyway, it's not that something is wrong with your TV it's just a flaw of the tech. As far as the glossy screen it's done to make the colors pop more. If you don't like it look at a Sony or Panasonic.

Ignorance is a choice
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM

Liked: 10
I know what you mean! I had that same TV, set it up, and even in game mode noticed what can only be considered lag when playing Rock Band. If you are familiar with the game, the notes would "smear" together for very short periods of time (0.5 to 2 sec) then clear back up. I call Samsung customer care 5x (totaling about 5hr) and each time it was like it was a new call. They asked me the same fkn questions, told me to do the same things which I would then tell them I had tried and I needed to know the NEXT thing to try. It was like they didn't keep notes or anything. I work in sales and our customer care keeps notes on anything you call in about. I returned the system to Amazon and trying to make a decision between plasma and LCD. I will say I have a 2yo 6500 series that I absolutely love and see no lag issues I saw with this and have never had to call Samsung about it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page