Configuring/Workaround Needed for Samsung ES8000 ARC Startup Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a fairly simple setup: HTPC with HDMI connected to the "Media Player" port of my Denon 2113ci AV receiver which in turn is connected via HDMI to the HDMI2/ARC port of my Samsung 65ES8000 TV. My HTPC has an infinitv cablecard tuner and a nVidia 650ti graphics card. I'm using Shark007 codecs configured to bitstream audio formats directly to the Denon. I have a Logitech Harmony remote. A vast majority of the content I watch/listen comes from my HTPC, however, I do use the Samsung apps and occasionally Pandora/Spotify/etc on the Denon. Since I do use the Samsung apps for HBO GO, etc, I would like to use the ARC functionality to return audio to the receiver from the TV when I use the various Samsung apps - therefore, in the Samsung settings under System, I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) set to ON and the Receiver sub-setting turned to ON. For the most part, this works pretty well. When I watch cable/movies or listen to music from my HTPC, the Denon source is "Media Player". If I decide to use the Samsung apps, the Samsung automatically sends a signal to the Denon to change the source to "TV Audio" and I'm able to listen to the apps with audio through my speaker system. When I exit the apps and go back to the HTPC content, the source is once again automatically switched back to "Media Player". Beautiful.

My only problem/complaint I haven't been able to work around is on startup of the components. I startup my system from the Harmony with a Watch TV command (same as "use HTPC" since that's where I receive my cable tv). This sends a Power On signal to both the Samsung TV and the Denon receiver as well as a set source to "Media Player" to the Denon since this is what my HTPC is connected to. It works well and then after about 15-20 seconds after the system is on, the Samsung sends a signal to the Denon to change source to "TV Audio". I then have to manually send a change back source to "Media Player" to the Denon. This is certainly possible with my Harmony, but it really makes for an awfully ugly startup. I really don't know why the Samsung has to send that initial change source to "TV Audio" signal and why it's not configurable. Or is it and I'm just missing it? Is there a workaround I can't see? After this ugly startup, everything works well as previously described. And with the HDMI-CEC functionality, I get the onscreen volume control as an extra benefit.

Thanks for any help or comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have exactly the same problem as pete547, same devices and Harmony set up, its just annoying having the TV go blank after 15 seconds as it reverts to the Denon TV setting, and I have to manually go to the Denon r/c to change over, in my case to sat/cable.

Is there anybody that could help with this, I have tried optical from Samsung ES800 to Denon 2113 and using a different HDMI output from the TV, but I do not get any audio.

PS Have rung Denon and Samsung, Denon say its the TV's fault and Samsung say there is no workaround.

Thanks
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes457 View Post

I have a fairly simple setup: HTPC with HDMI connected to the "Media Player" port of my Denon 2113ci AV receiver which in turn is connected via HDMI to the HDMI2/ARC port of my Samsung 65ES8000 TV. My HTPC has an infinitv cablecard tuner and a nVidia 650ti graphics card. I'm using Shark007 codecs configured to bitstream audio formats directly to the Denon. I have a Logitech Harmony remote. A vast majority of the content I watch/listen comes from my HTPC, however, I do use the Samsung apps and occasionally Pandora/Spotify/etc on the Denon. Since I do use the Samsung apps for HBO GO, etc, I would like to use the ARC functionality to return audio to the receiver from the TV when I use the various Samsung apps - therefore, in the Samsung settings under System, I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) set to ON and the Receiver sub-setting turned to ON. For the most part, this works pretty well. When I watch cable/movies or listen to music from my HTPC, the Denon source is "Media Player". If I decide to use the Samsung apps, the Samsung automatically sends a signal to the Denon to change the source to "TV Audio" and I'm able to listen to the apps with audio through my speaker system. When I exit the apps and go back to the HTPC content, the source is once again automatically switched back to "Media Player". Beautiful.

My only problem/complaint I haven't been able to work around is on startup of the components. I startup my system from the Harmony with a Watch TV command (same as "use HTPC" since that's where I receive my cable tv). This sends a Power On signal to both the Samsung TV and the Denon receiver as well as a set source to "Media Player" to the Denon since this is what my HTPC is connected to. It works well and then after about 15-20 seconds after the system is on, the Samsung sends a signal to the Denon to change source to "TV Audio". I then have to manually send a change back source to "Media Player" to the Denon. This is certainly possible with my Harmony, but it really makes for an awfully ugly startup. I really don't know why the Samsung has to send that initial change source to "TV Audio" signal and why it's not configurable. Or is it and I'm just missing it? Is there a workaround I can't see? After this ugly startup, everything works well as previously described. And with the HDMI-CEC functionality, I get the onscreen volume control as an extra benefit.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youhorns View Post

I have exactly the same problem as pete547, same devices and Harmony set up, its just annoying having the TV go blank after 15 seconds as it reverts to the Denon TV setting, and I have to manually go to the Denon r/c to change over, in my case to sat/cable.

Is there anybody that could help with this, I have tried optical from Samsung ES800 to Denon 2113 and using a different HDMI output from the TV, but I do not get any audio.

PS Have rung Denon and Samsung, Denon say its the TV's fault and Samsung say there is no workaround.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Not trying to hijack this post but i have the same problem but different equipment.
Vizio TV (w/ CEC on), Onkyo 609 (using ARC), and Harmony one remote. When i turn everything on with remote it all starts out just fine on SAT input and then 10-15 seconds later onkyo switches to TV input and i have to go back in and change input back to SAT input. Very weird.
I am wondering if we could change or add something to the harmony remote.....i am not sure if there is a fix. Any questions let me know

James

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Liked: 11
I found this thread a little late, but did find a workaround. On the myharmony website, go to Activities and click Watch TV. Then hit "Customize this Activity." Next click "add delay". I added a 20 second delay (that was how long after my receiver powered on that it switch inputs back to the ARC HDMI input). Then click "add a step". I then added a command to switch back to the correct input on my receiver. Not ideal, but it does work.

BTW, since the command list would not let me chose the correct input for my receiver, I had to add a new command with the correct input so I could chose it when I modified the activity.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

I am trying to do the same thing. However, in the command option there is no way to pick any input. How did you get that step completed?
post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 AM

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my ES8000 and a Sony STR-DH820.

Is buying a harmony remote and creating a custom activity the only way around this?

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Just got a Samsung UN55F7100 and connected it to my Denon AVR 1913. All input devices routed through the Denon via HDMI, and one HDMI from Denon to the Samsung HDMI2(ARC). Same issue as above, plus a few other odd things. One reason I got the Samsung is so that I could use the Amazon Streaming, Netflix, etc. on the TV and use the ARC to run the audio thorugh my Denon. Spent a LOT of time running a new 1.4HDMI cable through cabinetry, walls, and brick to get this done. Enabled HDMI control on the Denon and Anynet on the Samsung.

1. Problem: Same issue people above mentioned - the Samsung would cause my Denon to revert to TV Audio a few seconds after turning on. Solution: None.
2. Problem: Volume control for the Samsun/Anynet would display, at the same time that the Denon volume control would display: Solution: While you can't turn off the volume display on the Samsung that I could find, you can turn off the Denon display. So that's what I did. Only annoying fact is that the volume number on the Anynet is different than what the Denon shows. And the response is a bit delayed.
3. Problem: While I can watch tv through the cable box/DVR, when I try to watch any programs that i have saved on the DVR, once I hit play the screen goes completely black. Nothing. Nothing will display, etc. Solution: None.

In the end, I just turned off Anynet because it irritated me so much. I got my old Apple TV out of the closet, hooked it up, and now I use that to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. via the Apple TV. Kind of sucks, as the Samsung seemed to have a lot of good apps/etc, and I spent a lot of time replacing the 1.3 HDMI (that was installed by professional installers) with the 1.4HDMI/ARC (that I did by myself and almost lost my mind).

I've updated the software on everything, but can't seem to get them to play nicely. If anyone finds a solution other than programming the Harmony One to send a delayed signal, please post. My wife doesn't like the Harmony for some reason, and my 3yr old loves it so much that we can't leave it laying around or it gets swiped.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 03:40 PM

I'm having the same issue on a Sony 2400ES. Can I ask, are people seeing the TV switching on the amp after 10 seconds happening on new amps with arc functionality?
Trying to decide if a new amp may be the way forward.
Gary.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page