Vizio E500i-A1 Calibration Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before anyone starts bashing about go search this and that, i have. Ive been on this site for 2 weeks looking up information.

So to my questions which is real simple. Whats in your opinion the BEST beginners calibration blu-ray disk for calibrating a LED back-lit HDTV? Ive heard of avia, dve, and wow, but i want to know which will produce the best results. I AM NOT paying for a professional which i know is the BEST choice by far as i don't have the means to do that at the moment. A little background on myself so one of you professionals can determine which disk will work best for me. I'm a computer/network tech with a BS degree in Computer Engineering and Network Management. I have a CompTIA cert in Security+ and Network+ and have been repairing PC's for over 10 years. Ive also done custom stereo installs for about 12 years. So I'm familiar with certain things. But when it comes to calibrating TVs I'm limited in what i know. So if one of you professional out there can guide me to which blu-ray will be best for me to calibrate my TV via my ps3 connected thru a Yamaha RX-V473, i will be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Check out this website...I'm not a pro by any means, but I have used the DVE disc in the past and it was easy. They gave the DVE disc very high marks: http://home-theater-calibration-review.toptenreviews.com/
MAC20 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks will do.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The AVS HD709 disk is free and is a fairly comprehensive calibration disk to accurately set the basics (brightness, contrast, aspect, sharpness, and color). You won't be calibrating your tv (for that you need meters and specialized software) but you can get some of the basics pretty close. I don't know how accurately the PS3 renders color so that may be a limiting factor. For example, the Panasonic BDT-210 blu-ray player had perfect colorspace output when tested at 4:2:2, 4:4:4, and RGB video. Make sure that all of the enhancements are disabled on the tv as well as the PS3 because you want the disk's (which ever one you use) video signal to be as pristine as possible.
MAC20 likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. i will turn all that off. so far im thinking the wow blu-ray will be the best fit. seems the dve is far more advanced and will need the equipment to use it. ill look into the avs disk.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC20 View Post

thanks for the info. i will turn all that off. so far im thinking the wow blu-ray will be the best fit. seems the dve is far more advanced and will need the equipment to use it. ill look into the avs disk.

Which ever disk you use, stick with it. Don't try to check your settings with another disk. They might not match exactly and you'll go crazy trying to figure out which one is correct. They should be very close, but.......

Also, find a well made blu-ray movie and use that as an eye-ball check. The bottom line is that what looks good to you is all that matters.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Which ever disk you use, stick with it. Don't try to check your settings with another disk. They might not match exactly and you'll go crazy trying to figure out which one is correct. They should be very close, but.......

Also, find a well made blu-ray movie and use that as an eye-ball check. The bottom line is that what looks good to you is all that matters.

Thanks Otto. Ive downloaded the AVSHD790 AVCHD.exe file. i dont have a blu-ray burner so this will have to work for now. im going to try this and see how it looks.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Otto. Ive downloaded the AVSHD790 AVCHD.exe file. i dont have a blu-ray burner so this will have to work for now. im going to try this and see how it looks.

If I remember correctly, the disk can be burned to a DVD but it has to be played back on a blu-ray player.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Got it burned and working. Now i need a blue filter and I'm set.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Do some research on the type of blue filter to get because it can't be just any blue filter.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do some research on the type of blue filter to get because it can't be just any blue filter.

will do. I used the AVSHD790 disk last night and set my tv to custom with the exception of the Color Enhancement set to rich color, Adaptive Luma set to Extended, and film mode set to auto. it worked wonders compared to what i was seeing. but i think once i get a color filter it will be better. i wish the tv had the blue mode on it but it doesnt. This is what i came out with on my settings:

Picture Mode - Custom
Backlight - 80
Brightness - 42
Contrast - 42
Color - 48 (this is without a blue filter)
Tint - 0 (this is without a blue filter)
Sharpness - 9

Color Temperature - Custom
Red Gain - 42
Green Gain - 51
Blue Gain - 35
Red Offset - 50
Green Offset - 50
Blue Offset - 50

Advance Picture
Noise Reduction - Off
MPEG NR - Off
Color Enhancement - Rich Color
Adaptive Luma - Extend
Film Mode - Auto
Smart Dimming - Off
Ambient Light Sensor - Off

Noise Reduction is off due to me watching the whole episode of HD Nation on the disk and they recommended turning it off because its really no use after you make the changes they advise. From what i have posted besides the color and tint do you recommend anything Otto?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Otto ive also ready this thread and it seems as a lot of forum uses are not in agreeance on what filters to use. Would it be better to get just a blue filter or a filter with Deep Blue Tricolor #47B, Deep Red Tricolor #29, Deep Green Tricolor #61?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/808653/where-to-get-blue-filter
post #13 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Otto ive also ready this thread and it seems as a lot of forum uses are not in agreeance on what filters to use. Would it be better to get just a blue filter or a filter with Deep Blue Tricolor #47B, Deep Red Tricolor #29, Deep Green Tricolor #61?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/808653/where-to-get-blue-filter

That I can't help you with because my tv (LG) came with a very extensive set of calibration options accessible to the user (no need to go into the SM) and one of the "features" was built-in Red, Blue, and Green filters. You can ask in the Display Calibration forum for a consensus on the proper filter to use. Posting your settings is of little use because every tv is different due to tolerance issues so what looks good on yours may not, probably not, look good on another exact same model. Posting graphs from a metered/software calibration is useful to some because they can actually see how your panel performed and can make suggestions. You would be best to find a forum that is specific to your tv and ask there. Keep in mind that you are just making adjustments, and not calibrating with meters and software, so your settings could be way off from a set that has been calibrated to rec.709 standards. If you can't pay for a professional calibration or want to learn and DIY, then make changes until it looks good to you because that will be the best you can do.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That I can't help you with because my tv (LG) came with a very extensive set of calibration options accessible to the user (no need to go into the SM) and one of the "features" was built-in Red, Blue, and Green filters. You can ask in the Display Calibration forum for a consensus on the proper filter to use. Posting your settings is of little use because every tv is different due to tolerance issues so what looks good on yours may not, probably not, look good on another exact same model. Posting graphs from a metered/software calibration is useful to some because they can actually see how your panel performed and can make suggestions. You would be best to find a forum that is specific to your tv and ask there. Keep in mind that you are just making adjustments, and not calibrating with meters and software, so your settings could be way off from a set that has been calibrated to rec.709 standards. If you can't pay for a professional calibration or want to learn and DIY, then make changes until it looks good to you because that will be the best you can do.

Thanks for the info. Ill look further into the blue filter. I appreciate all the advise.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Try these settings Vizio E500i-A1 Calibration 

My Pic seems to be good now.. I almost returned this tv

have Century Link Prism HD 

Vizio TV Settings

Movie
Backlight 86
Brightness 51
Contrast 49
Color 61
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Horiz pos 33
Vertical 15
Hor size 0
Ver size 0

Color temp custom
Red gain 38
Green gain 44
Blue gain 53
Red offset 53
Green offset 48
Blue offset 50

Advance picture

Noise reduction off
MPEG nr high
Color enhancement rich color
Adaptive luma low
Film mode auto
Smart dimming on
Ambient light sensor off

Settings
Game mode on or off.. cant tell the diff for ps3

post #16 of 18 Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You replied to a thread that's almost a year old. That being said, using someone else's settings is an ok place to start but every tv is different so what looks good on one, doesn't necessarily mean it will look good on another. It's always best to adjust your tv with a calibration disk to at least adjust the settings on your tv in your viewing environment. At best, you'll have an accurately adjusted tv but it won't be calibrated.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-10-2013, 04:05 AM

Where do you get a calibration disk. I've tried a bunch op peoples settings and haven't found one I like yet!
post #18 of 18 Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogsparky View Post

Where do you get a calibration disk. I've tried a bunch op peoples settings and haven't found one I like yet!

That's why it's important to adjust your own settings. Every tv has different component tolerances etc. Sometimes it works using another's settings but most of the time it doesn't. The free AVS HD709 disk can be found on AVS. I don't have the link handy right now but you can use the Search feature above and find it. You can burn it to a CD but you'll need a blu-ray player to use it. The other commercial calibration disks are the WoW or Spears & Munsil, which are probably two of the more popular ones. There is a learning curve for any disk so take time and be patient. However, without a good light meter and software you won't be able to truly calibrate your tv with any of the disks. But you can make some very accurate picture adjustments to the basics (contrast, brightness, sharpness, aspect, color) and that may be all you need. Just make sure that all video enhancements are turned off or disabled on your tv as well as the blu-ray player. Write your initial settings down as a return-to reference should you make a mistake and give your eyes time to adjust to the settings ( a couple of days under varying light conditions) until you decide whether you like the settings or not. Keep in mind that source has a lot do with what you see (some stations look better than others, some movies look better than others, etc) so all you can do is adjust (or calibrate) your tv as best as you can knowing that if it doesn't look good from time to time it's more than likely the source that's the problem and not your tv. Games can also be a problem because they don't have to follow the same video standards (Rec. 709) that movies/tv do.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E500i A1 50 Inch Led Smart Fhdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page