My Samsung LCD (ln52a580p6f) Dead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
he TV I worked so hard to buy a few years ago decided that a bunch of vetical lines down the center of the screen wouuld make my viewing experience that much better. I disagree.

()

I did my research (including on this forum), and it seems as though this problem is not that uncommon. The majority of folks are being told that this is an issue with the LCD panel, which is a costly replacement for a TV that is only 4 years old. Others say it's the TCON or possibly blown capacitors on the power board. While I'm not a TV repair person, I do tinker so I opened up the set and the caps all look ok.

So I'm looking to see if anyone either has the same model as I do (ln52a580p6f), a similar Samsung, or a different brand that has had this issue before and did they succsfully fix it or ditch it? I still have an old CRT in the garage that is almost 20 years old with no problems, so it's hard to believe my 4 year old TV is already dead.

Another thing that blows my mind is that since this appears to be a common issue, Samsung refuses to do anything about it since it's past the one year warranty. This is a clear manufacturers defect, and Samsung will not take responsibility! If I'm not able to fix this issue for cheap, rest assure that this is the last Samsung TV I will buy. Whatever happened to making sure that the customer is happy and will buy your products life-long? Not only will they lose me, but I'll make sure that I don't recommend Samsung to family and friends (I'm the tech guy everyone goes to).

The only other thing I can do is to wait for a class action against Samsung...

/end rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 14
Your TV is a 2008 model and I can tell you that, the particular panel connect technology used during that time frame (e.g. tabs), has been prone to failure in numerous brands.

No doubt that Samsung gets a bad rap, because they by a wide margin, just sell more HDTV than anyone else.

Actually, I own a Mercedes Benz; that used similar tab bonding in the instrument cluster digital display , that failed within 4 years, in nearly every car they built.

Mercedes has not recognized the problem, nor would I foresee one for your issue.

From the symptoms, doubt it's a power board or panel issue.

Most likely would be a tab bonding, LVDS cable or TCON board.

Since you have researched in depth, you know how to test and fix problems in each.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional insight, I have not come across anything about tab bounding. I'm really hoping that it's not the panel, as it's just not worth the $1000 or so to replace it on a 4 (or 5) year old TV (I bought in Jan 2009 so it's most likely from 2008).

With regards to the this tab bounding, is there a sure-fire way to check visually or does it require testing equpiment to validate failure?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfrk View Post

he TV I worked so hard to buy a few years ago decided that a bunch of vetical lines down the center of the screen wouuld make my viewing experience that much better. I disagree.

()

I did my research (including on this forum), and it seems as though this problem is not that uncommon. The majority of folks are being told that this is an issue with the LCD panel, which is a costly replacement for a TV that is only 4 years old. Others say it's the TCON or possibly blown capacitors on the power board. While I'm not a TV repair person, I do tinker so I opened up the set and the caps all look ok.

So I'm looking to see if anyone either has the same model as I do (ln52a580p6f), a similar Samsung, or a different brand that has had this issue before and did they succsfully fix it or ditch it? I still have an old CRT in the garage that is almost 20 years old with no problems, so it's hard to believe my 4 year old TV is already dead.

Another thing that blows my mind is that since this appears to be a common issue, Samsung refuses to do anything about it since it's past the one year warranty. This is a clear manufacturers defect, and Samsung will not take responsibility! If I'm not able to fix this issue for cheap, rest assure that this is the last Samsung TV I will buy. Whatever happened to making sure that the customer is happy and will buy your products life-long? Not only will they lose me, but I'll make sure that I don't recommend Samsung to family and friends (I'm the tech guy everyone goes to).

The only other thing I can do is to wait for a class action against Samsung...

/end rant.

I believe it's the TCON problem, but that's just a recollection. There are some utubes and articles on the web about testing for that and fixing it. Google some sites on the web. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping it's the tcon or one of the issues that Thiao mentioned above. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be a sure way to check TCON besides just replacing it...such as running a volt meter across something.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 14
Perhaps the information in the following links can provide further insight.

http://www.fixya.com/support/r5093881-lcd_flat_panel_tv_troubleshooting_guide

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25276757/E40951307-TCON-Troubleshooting-10-22-09-OPT

Last link from Sony repair manual, but the basics are the same.

The 'tab' issue is due to electrical contact on the panel being made by pressure bonding between surfaces.

If it's a tasb bonding issue, sometimes it can be flushed out by applying external pressure around the bezel (e.g. squeezing) to see if the problem goes away. If so, the DIY repair is to insert additional material (e.g. high density rubber or foam) to increase the pressure between surfaces. Search this forum or Youtube for 'tabs'. tab repair' etc.

Another simple thing you can do is wiggle the LVDS cables / connectors to see if the symptoms goes away. I've seen cases where carefully cleaning or reinserting the connectors has solved the problem.