Watching my new LED TV makes me sick... literally! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a LG 55LM8600 LED TV yesterday, set it up and have noticed right away that the TV makes me sick while watching it. It's similar to having motion sickness. In addition, things like watching a movie that will say camera pan from one side of a room to another seems to be overly done, it's very hard to explain but it just doesn't look natural.

I have three other older Samsung LCD TV's and none of them has ever made me feel sick to my stomach or given me headaches while watching. Honestly the only time I've ever felt this way is when trying to play first person shooting types games on my XBOX.

Has anyone else ever experienced this and maybe know of something I can do to change this? I've already made sure 3D was disabled.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Turn off the TrueMotion feature or whatever LG calls it. Should be in the picture menu somewhere.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

TheAnswer, Thanks I'm going to go try that now.

I actually just hung up the phone from the local place I bought the TV from and they went through the normal process of making sure 3D was disabled and such (which it was). So hopefully the disabling this TrueMotion feature will get rid of the issue.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 AM

My TV does the very same but I'm not certain if it's the LCD Sharp Aquos, the Scientific Atlantic cable box DVR, or an older Bose 2.1 audio system with subwoofer. It seems to be worse when the audio is turned up on the cable box DVR making it difficult to find a good audio balance between the cable box, Bose, and TV speakers. In order to hear what is said on some programs the Bose system must be turned up to nearly it's highest range which makes me feel sick to my stomach and I often get a headache. It's almost as if high frequency noise is being emitted that can't be heard but rather felt. I've tested the system for electromagnetic waves but the range is normal. I've tried shutting everything down and turning it on piece by piece, but the problem remains. I'd sure like to know how to address the issue.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 84
'Electromagnetic waves'?...
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperScribes View Post

My TV does the very same but I'm not certain if it's the LCD Sharp Aquos, the Scientific Atlantic cable box DVR, or an older Bose 2.1 audio system with subwoofer. It seems to be worse when the audio is turned up on the cable box DVR making it difficult to find a good audio balance between the cable box, Bose, and TV speakers. In order to hear what is said on some programs the Bose system must be turned up to nearly it's highest range which makes me feel sick to my stomach and I often get a headache. It's almost as if high frequency noise is being emitted that can't be heard but rather felt. I've tested the system for electromagnetic waves but the range is normal. I've tried shutting everything down and turning it on piece by piece, but the problem remains. I'd sure like to know how to address the issue.
So you have the TV and Bose speakers on at the same time?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 AM

turn backlight to full and trumotion OFF any motion smoothing eeffects to OFF the comfort eye motion to OFF

all these things cause strobing and flicker (PWM dimming backlight) which may be the cause
post #8 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 AM

I recently bought a 39 inch LG LED Full Hd Tv, and experience nausea, dry red eyes, headaches, irritation and sleep disturbances after watching it for even 5 to 10 minutes. I wear prescription glasses and my watching distance is about 7 feet.

I did some research online and found out about the blue light emanating from the backlights of these kinds of TV screens, and that it causes some of the symptoms I experience. I also found out about PWM flickering which causes the same symptoms.

I decided to buy a pair of Gunnar yellow tinted glasses, because I read that they filter some of the blue light. I have to say there is an improvement but it does not solve the problem completely. I then tried to increase the backlight setting to 100, which theoretically would stop the flickering because the backlights behind the LED's would be on constantly, but still that didn't help much.

I will now try lowering the backlight setting and see if it makes a difference.

I was wondering if any of you found any other solution to this problem?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm8600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Xbox 360 Elite 120 Gb Console System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page