LG 65LW6500 narrow vertical line - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have an LG 65LW6500 LED that has developed an intermittent red/purple narrow vertical line, always in the same place, a few inches from the right hand side. It only appears after several hours. If I turn the TV off for a few minutes, then turn it on again, the line is gone.

I'm re-posting the following from the dedicated thread, in hopes that it gets more views:

Well, I have a conundrum here. I wanted to do some testing before calling the LG hotline. As mentioned, the TV only gets that narrow vertical line after the set has been on some hours. So far I have ruled out inputs; doesn't matter if the input is HTPC, BD standalone, cable box via component or external hard drive via USB. I have an unshielded sub about 3' from the TV, but it was never a problem before, so I've tentatively ruled that out. The TV is wall-mounted, and the subwoofer is directly under the vertical line.

Here's the thing: apparently it *does* matter if the inbuilt wall electric heater is on. Now, that's on a separate 240 volt circuit, and the heater is 8' away from the TV. Normally it isn't used, but it's been quite cold the last couple weeks. Note also that the house is bone dry this time of year; primary heat is wood and coal, with propane furnace backup. That type of heating, unavoidably, makes the house a little dusty.

I've left the heater off and have been running the TV continuously the last two days and no vertical line.

Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing? Am I on the right track or not? Every mention I've read on this forum regarding lines appearing on a TV set seems to get a reply along the lines of: that TV is done for, kaput. Then again, I don't recall any mentions of *intermittent* lines.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, the line finally reappeared. Get this: instead of cycling the TV off/on, I lightly pressed the bezel directly under the bottom end of the vertical line.

Poof! Gone.

So at this point I'm thinking that, while ambient temperature has an effect, the root cause is that the bezel/frame is a little too tight. Does that sound reasonable?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had the same problem with the same TV. LG extended the warranty and installed a brand new panel. Everything was good for about 2 months...and then I got lines again. They are replacing the set
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I have some more information. Here's what I recently posted in the dedicated thread. I'm posting it here so someone searching the topic can find it more easily:

I should update you all about the intermittent thin red vertical line on my 65LW6500. It would appear some variable time after the TV warmed up. If you recall, I was able to make it stop by putting slight pressure on the rear of the set at the bottom of the line (the set was wall-mounted and tilted down). The line was a couple inches from the right side, facing the set.

I did some research and it seemed likely that it was TAB bond failure. It's a solder-less connection between a data cable and the panel. I even saw a few videos illustrating the problem on YouTube.

First of all, I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but my wife had the camera that day.

Anyway, I took the TV down and laid it flat on the carpet. Removed the back, then attached the stand and stood it up. Then removed the bezel. Under the bezel are four metal angle bars, one each for top, bottom, sides. I removed the top and right side one before realizing that if I removed any more, the panel would fall out.

So I screwed the top one back on, since the data cables were not at top or right side.. The side angles wrap around top and bottom, overlapping the horizontal members. Anyway, removing just the right side angle reveals the rightmost data cable at the bottom. Very thin and gold colored. At this time I took off the bottom, just to see the other cables. There are 12 of them, each evidently passing data for 165 vertical lines of pixels. It looked to me that the rightmost cable was slightly longer than the others, and had a little crease in it, probably from the bezel pressing on the over-long cable.

I put the bottom angle back on for safety's sake, and turned on the TV. Then hooked up and turned on an external drive with MKVs, and played one.

Here's the thing: Just like in one of the YouTube vids I saw, putting a little pressure on the suspect cable (with the non-conductive handle end of a screwdriver) caused the vertical red line to appear. So, again as in the video, I made a little pad out of electrical tape and placed it behind the cable, just below where it connects to the panel and directly behind the crease in the cable. There's a narrow space there. Now, pressing against the cable did *not* make the line appear. Fingers crossed, I re-assembled the TV. I ran it constantly all weekend and it was fine.

The TV has been running with no problems whatsoever for a few weeks now. It is now in the living room (not wall-mounted). I confess the mirror-like screen finally annoyed me enough to put a 70" matte-screen Sharp in my HT. (My wife is much less annoyed by the mirror screen, and the lighting there is less conducive to reflections).

Anyway, there you are. I'd call this a band-aid rather than a repair, although from what I've been able to gather, in many cases it seems to be a permanent fix. Actual TAB bond repairs are so expensive it makes more sense to just replace the panel.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 65lw6500 65 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv And Four Pairs Of 3d G , Led Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw6500 Hdtv , Lg Infinia 47lw6500
Gear in this thread