Anyone else planning on picking up the new Sony KDL 55W900A - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This will be the replacement version of the critically acclaimed HX850 of last year. Spec wise they are identical. Physically very different with a smaller bezel with a sony badge much like samsungs higher end models. No mention of gorilla glass. Could this be phased out?

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Internet-TV/en/p/KDL55W900A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
So what is replacing the 950? I can't find any links to that model.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Probably wont hear about that one until the Fall
Browninggold likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
With the HX850 gone... which I hesitated and missed, I'll be going with a w900a if the reviews don't rip it apart.

I'm sort of excited by the Triluminous quantum dots and the use of Rec.2020 (UHD) colorspace. I suspect Sony will be using that to enhance BD playback.

Brief explanation:
Sony has said that they may not be looking for a software format for 4k movies. (Probably just streaming and PS4 stuff.)

Instead they are favoring a Superbit like mastering process where they start with a 4k master and specially compress it to 1080p on Blu-Ray.
All BD players will be able to play Sony mastered BDs, but Sony BD players with Sony 4k TVs will produce a better quality upscale than from a standard BD.

While I believe 4k to be a placebo, the w900a will be using the same expanded color gamut and triluminous display as their 4k televisions.
One could easily assume a Sony BD using the above method will deliver Rec.2020 color expansion on the w900a.

Expanded colorspace might be a more pronounced improvement to TV than 4k on a 55" screen you would need to sit less than 6 feet from.
That's my prediction anyway.

@Browninggold, as said on some new sites, the HX950 will continue to be the standard HD XBR TV from Sony until the fall. At that point expect a w1000a or something that will incorporate the tech and features that are new to the w900a.
Browninggold likes this.

--
(this space for rent)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Unlike some, I'm a huge fan of the gorilla glass. I hope they incorporate it again on the w900a. The Sony rep ensured me they would be who knows. The pics don't demonstrate it or the description. I'm pumped to jump on this set. Might even get it around launch time if the price isn't too ridiculous.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
I also hesitated and missed out :S but im excited for the w900a and plan to pick one up as well. I really hope they offer multiple sizes though. I was reading on a UK site and it claimed that its going to be available in 55" 46" and 40" not sure if thats true but would be nice to have multiple options.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm pretty sure the current Triluminos with quantum dots is a recycling of the trademarked name 'Triluminous' and not the same tech used in '08.

--
(this space for rent)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

With the HX850 gone... which I hesitated and missed, I'll be going with a w900a if the reviews don't rip it apart.

I'm sort of excited by the Triluminous quantum dots and the use of Rec.2020 (UHD) colorspace. I suspect Sony will be using that to enhance BD playback.

Brief explanation:
Sony has said that they may not be looking for a software format for 4k movies. (Probably just streaming and PS4 stuff.)

Instead they are favoring a Superbit like mastering process where they start with a 4k master and specially compress it to 1080p on Blu-Ray.
All BD players will be able to play Sony mastered BDs, but Sony BD players with Sony 4k TVs will produce a better quality upscale than from a standard BD.

While I believe 4k to be a placebo, the w900a will be using the same expanded color gamut and triluminous display as their 4k televisions.
One could easily assume a Sony BD using the above method will deliver Rec.2020 color expansion on the w900a.

Expanded colorspace might be a more pronounced improvement to TV than 4k on a 55" screen you would need to sit less than 6 feet from.
That's my prediction anyway.

@Browninggold, as said on some new sites, the HX950 will continue to be the standard HD XBR TV from Sony until the fall. At that point expect a w1000a or something that will incorporate the tech and features that are new to the w900a.

I have seen the 65" in person with various movies and events on it. I viewed it from 11 feet away and I have to say it is not better than a 1080P HDTV. No change in sharpness or color. You have to sit 4 feet away ot see any sharpness difference. The whole 4K deal is a fraud. If you wish to see a 4K mastered blu ray on your machine, they are out now: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and the FIRST 9 JAMES BOND MOVIES.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page