Wanting to buy a Samsung 8000 or 7000 Series TV, Need some help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm REALLY excited at the idea of a ES8000, though I'm not confident on the price point or differences on features between it and it's lesser ES7100 and ES7500 models, I've done a lot of research but every answer seems to vary with the source who writes it, my prime question is the difference in Micro Dimming and what are the actual specifications of the True Motion rates between these models, and does the higher rate even matter? If I could get actual contrast ratios as well. I've seen all different sorts of numbers across the web. Going through a few posts here I've seen some of the unboxing pictures of the ES8000 and the screen tests and the blacks in a dark room look absolutely fantastic, though I don't know if it's just because the LEDs are manually turned off or if the LEDs are off thanks to the Ultimate version of Micro Dimming. My room mate also found the older D8000 model, we know it's the older year model but what would we be losing? I've seen a ton of posts about flash lighting and clouding on the 7000 series but supposedly that was fixed in the 8000 series?

As for usage It's going to be a standard living room TV, only one window in the room, but a fairly large one, most usage will be at night though. We plan to fit the house with mostly indirect lighting so glare isn't too big of a problem and true blacks will be more preferred as I'm a heavy gamer and movie goer.. Who, compared to what our moms tell us, loves to play games in the dark with only the TV on. The viewing distance will be roughly 7-8 feet, smart features and apps are nearly irrelevant as is the 3D aspect, for the smart features we have an Apple TV, and general motion stuff we have the Kinect. I'm a big fan of fantasy movies so anything which will make Lord of the Rings, Avatar or Harry Potter style movies pop the most would be preferred. I've heard good thing about Samsung customer service, even one friend having a TV replaced outright with no hassle. As for a price point I'm looking to stick under 3000$, as I'm willing to fork out what's needed to get the quality I want (We've got a cheap TV now, the back lighting is awful, and makes watching horror movies in the dark a terrible experience thanks to the bleeding.) Though I would like to keep the price around 2000 - 2500$ if we can, the cheaper the better but I don't want to lose any quality as viewing quality, HD Input and Blu-ray will be most important (And... Adding a sound system in the future, so current simulated surround sound isn't important either.

Any suggestions, opinions or recommendations, as well as screen shots would be amazing! Not interested in Bias lighting at this time.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Bump.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I would get the 8000 if it were me. I'm still shopping and currently looking @ the Sony 950, Elite and the 8000.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page