Is this worth fixing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My beloved Mitsubishi was working fine I left my bedroom and when I got back this is what I found
Is this fixable or should I just move on...it is about 4 years old ...and I love it....oh well..what do you guys think

Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 AM

Hey Lynda,

There is most likely a problem with your TV's system board. This can happen over time as dust, static and moisture accumulate over the circuits. A sudden temperature change may also be to blame.

Anyhow, you'll need to have it repaired or replaced. Send it to your nearest Mitsu repair outlet!
post #3 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you tech for answering me...to add to the mystery I turned on my tv this morning and the problem was gone which leads me to believe it will come back...I just don't want to spend money for a service call that I can use on a new tv if this can't be repaired...this TV has worked flawlessly until now..it has hook ups that newer TV's don't have ...I have two DVRs hooked up to component jacks...my TW older boxes wig out with HDMI ..it's a weird handshake thing....the newer sets only have one component jack...I also use an audio out jack for my wireless headphones that use black and red plugs so i can listen to the stuff i have recorded i dont see audio out or AV out on the newer sets....maybe i am just not educated enough in connections to know how to adapt this stuff to a newer set...good thing I took an iPad photo right away to document it ....I am so confused...LOL...so tech is there a fix for this?
post #4 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
move on please 1.gif
post #5 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Excuse me? Katie ...I am trying to get help and advice I don't want to make an expensive mistake...so where do you suggest I move on to if it not this forum that is created to help us...
post #6 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 264
See if you can get some sort of ball-park estimate on what it may cost to repair it. You should be able to at least get the basic bench estimate figuring you'll have to add parts and labor on top of that. However, if it's four years old, it may be time to get a new set (for me, any reason to get a new set is a good reason wink.gif). Looking at your components though you may have to make some decisions on upgrading, or modifying those as well to accommodate inputs on a new tv if you can't find one that will work.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Otto that is good advice....I intend to do just that....change is hard especially when it comes to spending big bucks...I don't want to make a mistake..

Lynda
post #8 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM

So there you have it!

Otto's advice sounds good.

So from the looks of it, you got two options:

a. If it comes and goes, then just live with it I suppose

b. Get the sys. board replaced, or like you said, you're in need of more jacks, get a newer model. A decent 40+ LCD/LED screen isn't THAT expensive these days, provided you look in the right places!

Cheers then! Let us know how it all works out smile.gif
post #9 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
b didn't rhyme like a I liked a better

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 19 Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llabine1 View Post

Thank you Otto that is good advice....I intend to do just that....change is hard especially when it comes to spending big bucks...I don't want to make a mistake..

Lynda

If you keep your devices the same, then you at least know what kind of inputs you'll need which should narrow down your choices somewhat. Nothing is more frustrating that finding out that your devices aren't going to play nice with your new tv because of outdated technology or incompatibilities. There are always workarounds, switches, converters, what ever, but quite often pq suffers. Take your time.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM

^^ Kind of like how I rushed to get my Sony 5.1 amp, only to discover later that it plays 5.1 digital audio ONLY through the integrated DVD/CD player!

So no digital surround for my games or movies I'm afraid. (the integrated DVD player died in a little over a year).

On the upside though, the digital stereo surround at 2.1 is superb, and keeps me full for now!
post #12 of 19 Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ Yeah, HTiBs with built-in blu-ray players certainly leave a lot to be desired. They do have their place, but with passive sub-woofers, sometimes proprietary speaker connections, etc you're better off getting one with just a receiver and speakers or go with separates.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Update: in 2008 when I bought this TV I wisely bought an extended warranty that my credit card was offering for a whopping $137 for 5 years...it is up 5/5/2113...I called them and they said I could choose any repair shop and if it could not be repaired they would give me the full price I paid for the TV...that amounts to $1500 so it seems to be a win/win situation...it will not cost me a thing...oh and of course the tv is working fine but I am still calling a repair guy any way...thank god I took that picture...
post #14 of 19 Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM

Liked: 13
I hope you get your money back. Five years of TV use for $137 would be a good deal. Then go out and buy a nice new TV.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^^ Yeah, HTiBs with built-in blu-ray players certainly leave a lot to be desired. They do have their place, but with passive sub-woofers, sometimes proprietary speaker connections, etc you're better off getting one with just a receiver and speakers or go with separates.

Yeah bro, I learned my lesson just a few months after purchase... when I was ABOUT to buy an optical IN cable just to discover, this amp doesn't accept digital coaxial connections from external sources.

Well.... booo ...freakin... hooo!!
post #16 of 19 Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Update: in 2008 when I bought this TV I wisely bought an extended warranty that my credit card was offering for a whopping $137 for 5 years...it is up 5/5/2113...I called them and they said I could choose any repair shop and if it could not be repaired they would give me the full price I paid for the TV...that amounts to $1500 so it seems to be a win/win situation...it will not cost me a thing...oh and of course the tv is working fine but I am still calling a repair guy any way...thank god I took that picture...

Excellent! Get to it then!

And mods, I apologize for the multiple responses. Will use the multi-quote feature next time!
post #17 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Update:TV repair guy took one look at the TV and told me the panel was gone...signed a form saying the cost of the repair exceeded the value of the set and I was on my way to BestBuy to buy a new set... my brand new Samsung 40ES6100 just arrived and it's beautiful...very little tweaking required...it synced with my router for WIFI ....the insurance is paying for everything so after giving me full value on my covered TV I will be $500 ahead...I am thrilled...thank you guys for helping me...I guess I am lucky...my new Samsung has none of the shudder and judder that some have experienced...I turned off auto motion right away...the help here was invaluable....I love a happy ending
post #18 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update:TV repair guy took one look at the TV and told me the panel was gone...signed a form saying the cost of the repair exceeded the value of the set and I was on my way to BestBuy to buy a new set... my brand new Samsung 40ES6100 just arrived and it's beautiful...very little tweaking required...it synced with my router for WIFI ....the insurance is paying for everything so after giving me full value on my covered TV I will be $500 ahead...I am thrilled...thank you guys for helping me...I guess I am lucky...my new Samsung has none of the shudder and judder that some have experienced...I turned off auto motion right away...the help here was invaluable....I love a happy ending

That is great! It's nice to see happy endings here because it seems that some go thru months of agony and frustration. Some don't feel that extended warranties are worth it but for me, on major purchase items, especially electronics, they're worth it, if not for peace of mind alone. wink.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Hey I'm happy for you OP! biggrin.gif

Electronics related issues, and especially car related for us guys, can absolutely drive you up the wall!

I am glad you're enjoying your new screen. And good thing you're keeping all that motion smoothing crap off...because it is just that: crap! rolleyes.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page