What specifically makes the difference in picture quality!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been wondering this for a while. Say you have two or three televisions you're looking at purchasing, they're all the same kind so for this example we'll just pretend all are LCD/LED televisions. 1080p, 120hz TVs.

Now. What would separate them and/or justify the difference in cost if there was one? Is it simply contrast ratio or is there more to it than that?

I ask this because when reading reviews on TVs I'm interested in, they usually say very vague things like "best bang for buck picture quality" or "crystal clear picture which surpasses most competitors." What does this mean exactly and how do you quantify the actual difference in picture quality?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 366
IMO these are my preferences to look for .

1. Black levels .08 cd/m2 or less .01cd/m2 is supposed to be the holy grail you wont see that much . plasma usually has best black level but LCD/LED usually tend to be brighter overall.
2 Contrast the difference between darkest black and max white Dynamic contrast measurements are usually meaningless because each mfr does it differently
You can achieve a post calibration static contrast ratio with measuring equipment and a black level and max white measure that would be useful. 4,000 :1 or better static to me is OK. if measured and calculated correctly .
3 color
4 detail
5 uniformity (solid white or color purity across the screen )
6 panel brightness personally I prefer 400-450 cd/m2 Max white level panel spec for viewing in a bright room
350cd/m panel is the minimum for TV IMO to suite my preferences , although I have seen a couple of 300cd/m2 panel sets that looked fine YMMV.
7 resolution depending on screen size/type
**Usually under 40" a 720p is fine and not an issue for most ** exception 720p 50 inch plasma can be quite good **
***Fox ,ESPN ,FOX speed channel and,ABC all broadcast in 720p ***.
better to have a good 720p set than a poor 10801 set though .

**** If using a TV as a desktop computer monitor and viewing close up a 1080p 1080i set is strongly reccomended ****

8 refresh maybe 120 especially if you watch sports at 1080i again FOX ,ESPN ,FOX speed channel and,ABC broadcast in 720p though .
*** again not an issue with plasma,plasma has an effective refresh rate of 600hz****
If you're annoyed by motion blur, you're better off getting the highest-refresh-rate LCD you can get, or stick with plasma -cnet-

9 fast panel .5ms< + low input lag (or a set with available game mode for gaming it reduces lag ) again usually not an issue with plasma .

For a big screen 42" - 50" and up Plasma can usually give best picture quality vs price value .

FWIW I have LCD ,LED and Plasma TV's they each have their pro's and cons

disclaimer : not being a certified expert I would suggest further research if needed these are just my personal preferences YMMV.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 3 Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The one with the best picture quality is the one that looks the best to you. Sure, specifications (specs) are important, but the best spec is your own eyes.
tubetwister likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page