Possible problem with new bravia HX850 - not sure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a possible issue with my new bravia HX850 - basically when LED Dynamic Control is set to standard, parts of the image will flash when the picture quickly transitions from dark to light. It's difficult to explain, but basically the image will be dark/black, something will come on screen, and after it has reached full brightness, certain bright colors and shades will flash to a darker color for a split second. On certain images this will always happen when LED dynamic control is set to on, and this will NEVER happen when LED dynamic control is set to off, but for obvious reason I want to leave LED dynamic control set to on.

What I'm trying to figure out is if anyone else has this "problem". It's especially noticable in certain games, only occasionaly for regular tv viewing. I tried a few google search terms and came up with nothing. I want to know if there is something defective in my tv and whether it's worth contacting sony about. I'm already on my second HX850 after I returned the first one after a couple of days for dead pixels, and I really don't want to go down this road again if I don't have to. I didn't reallty have the first one long enough to notice if it had the same problem.

So has anyone else with a bravia HX850 ever observed this problem? Is it simply a side effect of the way the LED dynamic control setting works, or do I actually have a problem? I could probably upload a video of it if required, but I'll see if anyone knows what I'm talking about before going to the hassle.

Thank for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 15
I have the sony 55 hx800 and I do notice some flashing around the edges of the screen when dark scenes are transitioning to brighter ones...i do not notice it when playing video games; only when the screen in pretty much uniformly dark. What bothers me more than this is screen uniformity. Big white clouds that appear when the screen is dark. I had one cloud in the center and the four corners had slight light bleed. Turning on led dynamic control helped pretty much resolve my issues. I also turned down the backlight to 5, contrast to 85. You are just going to have to play with the settings until you are happy. I honestly do not think your TV is defective. Is the hx850 local dimming or edge lit? If it is edge lit as mine is then that is why you are seeing the flashing....
post #3 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the input but I don't think that's it. It has nothing to do with backlight clouding or flashlighting, it's more like a flicker. It only happens with LED dynamic control on, it doesn't not happen with it off.

Immediately after the screen brightens up, certain really bright colors, most common with beige/whites, will flicker to dark grey for a split second before returning to normal. ONLY these colors flicker, none of the rest of the screen. For example in a sky, clouds will flicker but the blue sky will stay completely solid.

Honestly it seems like a software glitch with the way LED dynamic control alters the contrast between light and dark scenes, but I'm just suprised I can't find any information on it. Because I notice it a fair bit, and can reproduce it consistently. Other than LED control, the only other setting that will make it go away with LED dynamic control on is to turn the picture down to around 50, and all that really does is get rid of the bright colors that are flickering in the first place.

It's weird. And I can probably live with it, I just want some acknowledgement that my tv isn't the only one this has happened to for my own piece of mind.

I tried to take a video and I couldn't. My samsung galaxy s2 was all I had to record, and it wouldn't pick it up. Mostly because the transition from dark to light messed with the exposure.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page