Help decide, keep 3 year old sony kdl-55ex500 or new LG 55LM4600? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
trying to decide, we have a 3 year old sony 55 lcd tv, looks great. was thinking about possibly getting 3D and saw an LG 55LM4600 for $699. is it better to just keep my sony, or is the new LG better nowadays, or ?
Can anyone help on this??
disneyfun1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If you really want the 3D (especially passive), then go for it. IMO it would not be a real upgrade as far as picture quality goes. The EX500 was an excellent TV. The LG will probably have a better viewing angle since it's using an IPS panel but will have worse backlight uniformity (since it's edge-lit) and worse contrast.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thats one dilemma, i dont want to lose quality while i will mostly watch 2D, but it would be nice to watch 3D blu-rays on every now and again that i bought. Thats why i wonder if the sony is still better even though its 3 years old, not worried about viewing angle, never had an issue.
disneyfun1 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Your Sony was an excellent and well-reviewed mid-tier set and would still hold its own with many lower to mid tier edge-lit LEDs today. Personally, I would look for something else if you really wanted 3D.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what suggestions do you have without breaking the bank?
disneyfun1 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
also, is this LG set an entry level set, or higher up than that?
disneyfun1 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
rajmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfun1 View Post

trying to decide, we have a 3 year old sony 55 lcd tv, looks great. was thinking about possibly getting 3D and saw an LG 55LM4600 for $699. is it better to just keep my sony, or is the new LG better nowadays, or ?
Can anyone help on this??

Its an excellent TV....& in no way is a low Tier TV. All Edge LED have its issue. The 3D is very nice. It came with 4 pair. But there is no smart TV feature...& I dont miss it in anyway (I have the bluray player to get that job done).

I cannot miss a 55 inch 3D TV for that price.
rajmarie is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post

Its an excellent TV....& in no way is a low Tier TV. All Edge LED have its issue. The 3D is very nice. It came with 4 pair. But there is no smart TV feature...& I dont miss it in anyway (I have the bluray player to get that job done).

I cannot miss a 55 inch 3D TV for that price.

I would really hesitate to call this an "excellent TV." It's a low tier-TV from a top-tier brand, so for arguments sake, let's call this an average-tier TV.

Personally, I'd see no reason to buy the LM4600. At all.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
55LM4600 is LG's most basic 3D model. It is dimensionally identical to the 55LM6200 but uses black shiny plastic for the bezel and for the stand (which has a different design). It likely uses the same panel as the LM6200 so should perform very similarly to that model, but it lacks all the smart features and has had the firmware crippled. Range of adjustment for picture is impressive for a model at this level. Like all LG passive 3D sets, it uses an S-IPS panel with an FPR layer for the 3D. As such it shares the same strengths and weaknesses as most of LG's LED sets: It has mediocre black levels, but excellent viewing angles, far beyond those of Sony, Sharp, and Samsung. Colors are very good, but the set desperately needs calibration coming out of the box. Motion performance is average for an LED set, not terrible, but not as good as upper tier LED sets and nowhere near that of plasma. The glossy screen is prone to reflection. It is an edge lit LED which means you do see some flashlighting and uniformity issues, but in my experience any cloudiness is minimal to unnoticeable. 3D is very good. However, while I did not have any problems when sitting to the left or right of the screen, the vertical viewing angle was an issue. You need to stay at eye level to the screen or the 3D begins to ghost really bad, so any time I stand up, you might as well say it is not 3D anymore. When sitting, it is darn near perfect, with no ghosting/crosstalk at all. It is actually a better experience for me than when I have watched 3d in a theater.
bargugl is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
rajmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

I would really hesitate to call this an "excellent TV." It's a low tier-TV from a top-tier brand, so for arguments sake, let's call this an average-tier TV.

Personally, I'd see no reason to buy the LM4600. At all.

Maybe you dont have issues with cost. This is costing $700. An 47LG7600 is about $1100....& as said...its 55inch rather then 47inch.
rajmarie is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
rajmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

55LM4600 is LG's most basic 3D model. It is dimensionally identical to the 55LM6200 but uses black shiny plastic for the bezel and for the stand (which has a different design). It likely uses the same panel as the LM6200 so should perform very similarly to that model, but it lacks all the smart features and has had the firmware crippled. Range of adjustment for picture is impressive for a model at this level. Like all LG passive 3D sets, it uses an S-IPS panel with an FPR layer for the 3D. As such it shares the same strengths and weaknesses as most of LG's LED sets: It has mediocre black levels, but excellent viewing angles, far beyond those of Sony, Sharp, and Samsung. Colors are very good, but the set desperately needs calibration coming out of the box. Motion performance is average for an LED set, not terrible, but not as good as upper tier LED sets and nowhere near that of plasma. The glossy screen is prone to reflection. It is an edge lit LED which means you do see some flashlighting and uniformity issues, but in my experience any cloudiness is minimal to unnoticeable. 3D is very good. However, while I did not have any problems when sitting to the left or right of the screen, the vertical viewing angle was an issue. You need to stay at eye level to the screen or the 3D begins to ghost really bad, so any time I stand up, you might as well say it is not 3D anymore. When sitting, it is darn near perfect, with no ghosting/crosstalk at all. It is actually a better experience for me than when I have watched 3d in a theater.

Agreed....needed picture adjustments out of the box...but once done....it shows a very good picture. its not smart TV....but the bluray player gets the job done. & yes...the viewing angle is very good...& 3D is perfect when watching sitting from my sofa. As I said...I get good bang for my buck. 1 thing is the speaker of the TV is not good at all.
rajmarie is online now  
post #12 of 16 Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post

Maybe you dont have issues with cost. This is costing $700. An 47LG7600 is about $1100....& as said...its 55inch rather then 47inch.

For $700, you can still find much more adequate options.

And isn't cost a factor for all us? To an extent?

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

For $700, you can still find much more adequate options.

Name one that isn't plasma rather than just bashing. Right now you just seem like you are trolling.
bargugl is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

Name one that isn't plasma rather than just bashing. Right now you just seem like you are trolling.

Trolling? I contributed to thread by offering my opinion. That's what the OP wanted, and "upgrading" to the LM4600 makes no sense.

And why do I have to name one that isn't a PDP? Do those not qualify for a reason?

Regardless, the L5200, the EH6000, the EX645, & the LE640 are all in the same ballpark for price and each and everyone puts the LM4600 to shame.

Use conversation as a tool before you jump to insults.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Trolling? I contributed to thread by offering my opinion. That's what the OP wanted, and "upgrading" to the LM4600 makes no sense.

And why do I have to name one that isn't a PDP? Do those not qualify for a reason?

Regardless, the L5200, the EH6000, the EX645, & the LE640 are all in the same ballpark for price and each and everyone puts the LM4600 to shame.

Use conversation as a tool before you jump to insults.

Sorry you felt insulted. You just said you thought the LM4600 was bad and didn't state any reason why and didn't provide any alternatives. If you don't like it, at least say why, otherwise it just comes across as baseless bashing. It's not actually helpful to anyone to come to a conclusion. I feel I gave a very good rundown of the strengths and weaknesses of the LM4600 in my post so someone can determine whether those weaknesses were something they could live with or provided a good point to start conversation on whether you agree or not.

The only clear advantage that any of those TV's have over the LM4600 is that they have better black levels. The LG counters with wider viewing angles. All of these sets have mediocre motion performance like the LG, although they do offer smoothing options that improve motion but introduce a lot of other issues that many people do not like, which the LG doesn't have, although its supposed to. None of them offer 3D which is one of the criteria the OP was wondering about. The EH6000 in a 55" size has seldom been below $900, the comparably priced EX645 would only be a 50" and again lacks 3D. the 52" LE640 is also seldom below $900 but at least has more features. The comparably priced L5200 is again a 50" and lacks 3d. If these are the choices, then there is clearly no reason for the OP to upgrade. I agree with you that the OP shouldn't change to the LM4600 unless he feels that 3D is something he really wants as none of these sets will be notably better than what he has. The 3D is the only thing that LG has over his Sony.

In terms of finding a comparable LED TV to the LG4600 in a 55" size with 3D in a similar price range, there is nothing else on the market. If you don't need the 3D and don't need the 55" size, then yes you can find models at a similar price that can provide better black levels or are better in a particular area, but black levels alone are not the be all and end all of performance for all consumers.

Why to exclude PDP? Because this is the LCD forum, not the PDP forum. With PDP, you can get the 3D in this price range and get better motion performance and better black levels, but then of course there are reasons why PDP does not work for all people and situations.
bargugl is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
And black levels are arguably the most integral performance spec, so if I can buy an FP that has better black levels, with equally as good temporal resolution handling, contrast ratio, off-axis viewing, etc. why wouldn't I take it? All for 3D? Seems silly, but hey, it's not my decision.

And I'd argue that all of the FP's I mentioned have as good of off axis viewing as the LM4600 and that the EH6000 and the EX645 have better temporal resolution handling.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55 Inch 55lm4600 Led Lcd Cinema 3d Tv Trumotion , Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off