post #91 of 113 Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherds View Post

what type of plug does the audio 2 output take (the non digital audio) ?

1/8" stereo headphone jack as found on tablets, phones and Walkmen. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 12-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried the Closed Captioning on these sets?
Mine refuses to output anything.
My last set had the same CC on Mute feature that I loved.
If Mom called I could cut the sound, follow the plot by reading the CC, while still "Uh huh"ing my responses.

If you get a chance see if it works for you. I may only work with the sets tuner I suppose, which would be kind of a drag.

tia!
~Larue
post #93 of 113 Old 12-20-2013, 03:52 PM

I don't think I really have an eye for this sort of thing, but if anyone else wants to check this out and see what they think.

Used the Disney WOW disc on the 50R450 and got these settings:

Picture: 97
Brightness: 53
Color: 54
Hue: G4
Sharpness: Min

Color Temp: Neutral or Warm
Adv. features, etc. off. I have CineMotion on Auto but not sure what it even does.
post #94 of 113 Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 11
Just bought the Sony 40R450 and love the picture right out of the box. I've tested it with blu-ray movies, football games, SD and HD content and so far, no problems. The menu set-up is a bit strange and not as straight-forward as the Samsung 5300, but for me, the Sony picture is better.

I bought my Sony at COSTCO. I suggest not buying it through Sony - they charge a 15 % restocking fee (so does Sears).
post #95 of 113 Old 12-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Need to replace my bedroom tv (8 yr old sony) with a new tv and I'm considering this one. I've read this thread top to bottom and have some difficult piecing the replies together. I'm hoping you can help answer some questions as I can't find the tv anywhere to physically view.

1) I read somewhere that the tv has poor viewing angles. My setup will be essentially high on the wall and I'll be looking up from my bed. Does anyone else have this setup and can confirm no issues?

2) I have a sound bar. Does the optical out send 5.1 DD out or is it just 2 channel?

3) The darks in my existing tv render dark scenes virtually invisible (reason for changing tvs). How does this tv handle dark scenes? Are they distinguishable for a dark bedroom?

thank you for all your help.
post #96 of 113 Old 12-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Happy Holidays, Jimmycrank

I can give you my opinion on your Items #1 and #3:

#1 I read a lot of reviews on this tv that mentioned an extremely narrow viewing angle. I have placed the tv on a bureau in my bedroom, around 8-10 ft from bed. Since I am facing the tv straight-on, I'm having no problems. However, I did check out the PQ at an angle and compared it with a Samsung 40 inch 5300 that I had also bought. I thought the Samsung was worse, but that could be due to the type of panel used (it's not a Samsung panel). It all depends how you'll be using the tv and where you'll be placing it.

#3 I have a Panasonic plasma px80u (720p), which I got in 2008. I don't think the Sony LED handles dark scenes as well as a plasma, but I think it does a much better job than the Samsung 5300.

I think the Sony picture comes the closest to plasma picture quality. I don't like a really bright picture - it strains my eyes, I was amazed at how good the set looked right out of the box (it's also weighs very little). I drove myself nuts with researching what tv to get. I finally decided that I am looking for a specific "look" in picture quality, and the Sony has it. Of course, Costco's 90 day return policy with no restocking fee gives me some more time to play with the tv.
post #97 of 113 Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Great reading, just read all four pages to validate my impulse buy early this morning, or give me cause to return the 50" version (KDL50R450A).

Canadian "Boxing Day" sale pricing had the 50" for CA$598 so I grabbed one to replace a CRT projection 43" Samsung HC-R4351W high atop a bed room dresser.

I plan to keep it. Full circle now with Sony as the 43" Samsung once upon a time replaced a Sony KV-27EXR25 in a quest for bigness.

Thanks folks, nice forum.

post #98 of 113 Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM

NotMoneyGuy

Good deal! I couldn't find anything but a 40 inch screen. I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy!
post #99 of 113 Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Thank you very much shorflor... this tv is looking more attractive...

anyone have an answer for the optical out for a soundbar? Does the optical out send 5.1 DD out or is it just 2 channel?
post #100 of 113 Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrank View Post

Thank you very much shorflor... this tv is looking more attractive...

anyone have an answer for the optical out for a soundbar? Does the optical out send 5.1 DD out or is it just 2 channel?

Edited:
The optical can output 5.1 from OTA broadcasts, and HDMI sources.
post #101 of 113 Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM

hey can u give me the besst picture setting for playing xbox 360 HD Movies and even Blur ray movies please and thank you

post #102 of 113 Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM

When I put a pure white screen on this tv, I notice that some spots seem a little wavy... I'm not sure if this just the flashlighting issue tv's have or if mine is defective? If you're wondering what it looks like, someone posted it on page 2 or 3.

post #103 of 113 Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 314
removed

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #104 of 113 Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally ordered a Sony KDL 40R450a for the bedroom today ( somewhat hard to find BTW ) I went and looked at the Samsung 40EH5300/5500 and an
LG 47L5400 BB today I looked at some others as well. I'm replacing an otherwise fine 32" Toshiba (very good picture ) I bought last year.

. I wasn't bowled over by the Samsung's picture (might have been a panel version thing,)I've seen same model Samsung with very good pictures before .

I also have an LG 42LN5200 in another bed room picture is nothing to get excited about for sure I actually prefer watching the 32" Toshiba to that one.

I saw the KDL 40R450A at BB a short while back . I liked the picture when I saw it a while back so I ordered one on line BB was out of them it will be here in 5-7 days I'll post back with impressions FWIW.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #105 of 113 Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

My preferred settings Sony KDL 40R450A Sources OTA, Dish HD TV ,PC via HDMI , Roku 2 my settings sometime vary slightly depending on the source .

I Accessed service menu in my new KDL 40R450A no calibration adjustments there :-(

I Found the panel # on my set there it is a Samsung LSY 400HM02 V1.002

It'a a Samsung SPVA Panel it specs out at a decent 5,000 : contrast ratio
No Brightness spec given Sony bought these panels W/O back lights
and supplied their own or actually probably Foxconn assembled the panels . It is a 6 Bit Panel being driven in 8 bit mode . (6 bit +high FRC ) .
IE;8 bit color display .

A true 8 or 10 bit panel might or might not be an advantage in *this set the panel seems to do fine .

Panel 20_LSY400HM02

Panel ver V1.0002

Main FW ver 1.009

Panel version http://www.panelook.com/LSY400HM02-A01_SAMSUNG_40_CELL_overview_20138.html

a-Si TFT -LCD,CELL type 5000:1 contrast ratio no max brightness listed.

To Access Service Menu code :

Disclaimer going into service menu is not usually recommended
unless you are of sufficient technical knowledge changing some settings can brick the set. No picture adjustments on this set in there anyway but you can find your Panel version.

Press the "Display" button, then the "5" button, then the

"Volume +" button, then the "Power" button. All four button

presses must be done within a three-second time frame.

use "Jump " to get to second page and back again and "Home" to Exit

Unfortunately no additional calibration options or color management options are present in serv. menu

New settings look decent in this room on this particular set (EDITED 3/30/2014 )

Brightness has to be a whopping 25 pts. above ref. black AVS .709 or it crushes black and dark colors badly . I used AVS.709 as a starting point and adjust as needed to preference from there .

Contrast and back light must be at or near maximum also for adequate white levels . The back light while adequate could be brighter.
Ref black was achieved with brightness @ 20 using AVS .709 on this set, pretty low as compared to my other sets . Brightness needs to be around 50 -57 to keep it from crushing black and maintain good black levels that seems to jive with other settings posted here.

Sony KDL 40R450A Best Settings ,

Picture mode @ Cinema + Scene select at Cinema

note : Cinema Scene select defaults Picture Mode to Cinema and turns off LED motion flow and disables access to and probably turns off or adjusts other advanced menu picture settings to Sony pre sets . This provides the best overall color accuracy when set as listed here .

All Eco settings @ OFF

Backlight @ Max

Contrast (picture ) @ Max

Brightness @ 53 - 61 or preference depending on program /room

Color @ 55 -57 to preference depending on program

Hugh /Tint @ G3 to preference depending on program

Color Temp @ Neutral

Sharpness @10 -17 depending on source

Cine Motion @ Auto

Screen settings

Wide mode @ Full

Auto Wide @ On

4:3 defailt @ Off

Auto Display area @ OFF

Dispay Area @ Full Pixel or +1 depending on source

Mpeg noise reduction usually Off /Low or Med only if/as needed same for reg. Noise reduction I usually keep these Off

These settings result in best overall results and best color accuracy
short of a professional measured calibration.

I was able to get a pretty decent HD picture competitive or better than
most similar price. I tried lots of different settings including AVS HD.709
and found the above settings to work best .

The narrow viewing angle is a weaknesses

post #106 of 113 Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreflor View Post

NotMoneyGuy

Good deal! I couldn't find anything but a 40 inch screen. I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy!

Thanks.

I added the sound bar pictured from Sony and a PS3. Today I picked up the latest version of the Sony PS3 Media/Blu-ray remote for around CA$19 at Target and it operates the 50" Sony, the PS3 and the sound bar under "Amp". Awesome bedroom set-up. Dealing with three remotes in the dark sucked, especially for Netflix. Just finished two seasons of Lilyhammer and started the first three episodes of House of Cards. With this remote, things will be easier and the TV watching increased.

post #107 of 113 Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

removed dbl post

post #108 of 113 Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

KDL 40R450A Firmware Update , I downloaded and installed a 30 MB firmware update dated 12/13 to my new set yesterday, after watching it last night and today the picture is a lot better.Big Improvement . The Sony link stated it was to improve digital audio output but it also made a big improvement on the picture regarding color accuracy ,soap opera effect and 'clay face ' on OTA and SAT broadcast TV .

Now the picture is fine since installing the update and looks more like the one I saw about 6 mo ago at B.B . I was thinking about returning it this week and getting something else but it's fine now actually it's very good .

. I have it visually calibrated using AVS AV-HD.709 files as a starting point and set to preference from there (see post 105) . Even the occasionally slightly greenish yellow straightened itself out along with other colors and shades including various green blue ,reds and yellows that sometimes looked neon-ish ( when they shouldn't ) for lack of a better word. .All in all a worthwhile update at least for this set.

Only thing I can figure the original (earlier version ) Firmware was maybe corrupted in my set or they somehow put in some picture improvements or otherwise changed some tolerance or picture operation that for some reason worked better on this set and may improve others or not ?

One member at high def forum says the update improved his picture today as well after I posted the link there also.

Sony did not mention picture fixes on the support site only sound . Maybe they finally allowed turning off the LED Motion in advanced settings to also disable motion smoothing as well that's my guess anyway. In any event the firmware update seemed to fix my set . Either way I'll take the fix.Sony is back in my good graces in spite of the 6 bit + FRC panel it works fine now. .

The Firmware Update and instructions (real easy very simple ) can be found here .
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

post #109 of 113 Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

removed dbl. post

post #110 of 113 Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Reading this thread sure has calmed my nerves a bit after I read a review that mentioned MotionFlow could not be disabled and created the "soap opera" effect that makes me cringe at my friends' homes when they have it enabled cause its a "feature".

Glad to see the buyers in this thread are satisfied with the TV and the firmware update addresses the soap opera effect.

Just purchased the KDL46R450A (anyone else notice a lot of places are sold out or not listing Sony TVs? Be it R, W or XBR series). It unfortunately arrived with a stuck pixel (in green) but the shop agreed to swap it. Didn't really get to play around with settings and trying different sources on it yet, the pixel let down made me pack it right away and ship it back.

post #111 of 113 Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 PM

Hey every body, How are you all today? Can anyone comment on the quality of this TV while gaming specifically? I am wondering about input lag and if there are any motion blurs while gaming and what not as well as the picture while gaming, thanks in advance.

post #112 of 113 Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Never gamed on mine . (2013 KDL 40R450A ) I think I read somewhere the the input lag tested at ~ 27 ms ofc I don't know the method of testing.
I doubt Sony would make a bad gaming set .

post #113 of 113 Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrobinson93 View Post

Hey every body, How are you all today? Can anyone comment on the quality of this TV while gaming specifically? I am wondering about input lag and if there are any motion blurs while gaming and what not as well as the picture while gaming, thanks in advance.

Is really good on game mode. Low input lag.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40bx450 40 Inch Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List