Sharp LC-70LE8470U vs. Sony XBR65HX950 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to purchase a large screen TV for a home theater and I've narrowed it down to two models. The Sony one really captured my attention but is it actually worth it to spend $5200 on it while I can get the Sharp for $2800?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55HX950-55-inch-Internet-Full-Array/dp/B008XG1MHS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360769849&sr=1-5&keywords=full+array+LED+back+light

http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-Quattron-70%22-Class-3D-1080p-240Hz-AquoMotion-480-LED-Smart-3D-TV.product.11755276.html

What does the Sony TV have that justifies such a larger price compared to the Sharp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You're not comparing apples to apples. The HX950 is Sony's top of the line set. It features full array local dimming, and has superior black levels to the Sharp. A more fair comparison would be against the 60 or 70 inch Elite.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Your not comparing apples to apples. The HX950 is Sony's top of the line set. It features full array local dimming, and has superior black levels to the Sharp. A more fair comparison would be against the 60 or 70 inch Sharp Elite.

"Worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. The Quattron has a lot going for it and the full array backlit Sony will have issues surrounding the use of so many light elements.
You trade flashlighting and clouding and light bleed for halo effects around small bright objects and possibly uneven aging of the elements in the Sony.
Have a good look at both and decide which you happen to prefer. I wouldn't trade my 70" Quattron for the Sony even at the same price point...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

"Worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. The Quattron has a lot going for it and the full array backlit Sony will have issues surrounding the use of so many light elements.
You trade flashlighting and clouding and light bleed for halo effects around small bright objects and possibly uneven aging of the elements in the Sony.
Have a good look at both and decide which you happen to prefer. I wouldn't trade my 70" Quattron for the Sony even at the same price point...

The 70' Quattron isn't even in the same league as the 70' Elite, let alone the 65HX950.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

The 70' Quattron isn't even in the same league as the 70' Elite, let alone the 65HX950.

That's why there are different 'leagues' and I'm merely pointing out that no league is perfect and the price point difference might not be 'worth it'.
My $3,000 70" 3D Quattron gives me great satisfaction and I don't think I would enjoy the experience any better on another set at any price.
Liquid crystal displays will have their inherent limitations of black level regardless of technology used to mask the deficiency.
Using a good algorithm, my set delivers a very bright picture with acceptable black levels for my viewing with no clouding or flashlighting.
I've seen plenty of complaints about the full array sets and their uniformity issues and the Sharp Elites are not even locally dimmed...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:

John not to sound rude or anything but if they were @ the same price point and both set up in your room I bet my "beloved cat" that you would choose the Sony

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

John not to sound rude or anything but if they were @ the same price point and both set up in your room I bet my "beloved cat" that you would choose the Sony

The Sony is much smaller at 55" and with 3D, size matters a lot.
I don't prefer fois gras and caviar to sirloin either.
I am happy with the Sharp and I have no resentment against rich folks. Sorry if you wish I did... smile.gif
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sony makes the 950 in 65" also

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sony makes the 950 in 65" also

OH! Well I AM resentful of extremely rich folks! Kidding aside, I really like the Quattron with all its minor flaws.
The more money I spend, the more I expect perfection, so there is a point of diminishing returns.
I haven't seen the Sony, but every Sony TV I've ever owned has disappointed me in one way or another. All have been expensive and highly-rated.
The Sharp delivers pictures that rival a slide projector of the old days. With good calibration, it is quite a competent piece of equipment.
If Sony were producing a new technology, such as OLED or SED or something, I would consider further comparisons.
As it is, I can't stand the artifacts associated with local dimming or even global dimming. LCD has come a huge distance in contrast ratio on its own...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was just reading your post a few up where you said if they were the same price you would still pick Quattron. So I was figuring if you had the 65" Sony and the 70" Sharp side by side and the same price you would probably pick the Sony or most people would. And not everyone is having problems with the Sony. Many are enjoying a wonderful set. In fact that is what the OP was asking anyways the 65" vs. the 70" so my apologies if you took my post as meaning the Sony 55".

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just reading your post a few up where you said if they were the same price you would still pick Quattron. So I was figuring if you had the 65" Sony and the 70" Sharp side by side and the same price you would probably pick the Sony or most people would. And not everyone is having problems with the Sony. Many are enjoying a wonderful set. In fact that is what the OP was asking anyways the 65" vs. the 70" so my apologies if you took my post as meaning the Sony 55".

No apologies needed, unless they are mine.
I like the yellow pixel's effect on the color gamut on the Sharp.
Not only gamut, but also the subtlety of fleshtones without green or orange tendencies.
Red and green must work too hard and the green must be too yellow in the tricolor setup.
I'm sure the Sony is a wonderful set, so why can't we each enjoy what we've got?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

... and the Sharp Elites are not even locally dimmed...

Yes they are.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony is much smaller at 55" and with 3D, size matters a lot.
I don't prefer fois gras and caviar to sirloin either.
I am happy with the Sharp and I have no resentment against rich folks. Sorry if you wish I did... smile.gif

It is interesting you mention 3D as without a doubt the 70 inch Elite, green blobs aside, produce one of the best 2D images of any LED set. However, for 3D.... It is perhaps one of the weakest compared to Sony, Samsung and Panasonic flagship sets. Obviously the Quattron is a different set than the Elite and might be using a different panel, so maybe 3D is better on a Quattron than Elite?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

It is interesting you mention 3D as without a doubt the 70 inch Elite, green blobs aside, produce one of the best 2D images of any LED set. However, for 3D.... It is perhaps one of the weakest compared to Sony, Samsung and Panasonic flagship sets. Obviously the Quattron is a different set than the Elite and might be using a different panel, so maybe 3D is better on a Quattron than Elite?

Good question. I know that Sharp is using the cheaper tri-color panel on the 90" set to keep the price down.
If the Elite didn't use Quattron technology, for whatever reason, it is losing out in the dynamic range produced with more open lensing.
Green blobs on the Elite? Ye gads. Someone posted photos of purple blobs, probably due to the yellow phosphor on the white LEDs degrading.
Full array sets have to have extremely expensive feedback to keep all the whites the same color and brightness. Edge lit -- not so much...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM

I have a 70" elite sharp and its 3d is wonderful, far superior thant the ones I have seen in other brands. Take a look at CNET and see their review about it.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltie View Post

I have a 70" elite sharp and its 3d is wonderful, far superior thant the ones I have seen in other brands. Take a look at CNET and see their review about it.

I love my 70" Quattron 3D as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444684/sharp-lc-70le845u-calibration-including-3d
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltie View Post

I would say it was definitely good in 2011... but since the Elite was not upgraded in 2012 it fell behind the curve as the original CNET review was comparing to the Samsung D8000. The 2012 models for almost all of the major manufacturers made huge improvements to 3D in regards to level of crosstalk. This was the main reason for my post of it's 3D being weak as it did not have the advantage of an additional year of the manufacturers fine tuning the 3D and minimizing the crosstalk. Still has the best 2D image despite being a 2011 model vs 2012 models though.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Mr. johnfull, you are quite the poet and wise. I have got some questions for you as I am trying to buy my first big screen TV and you've saved me from making many mistakes already.

I like the Sharp 70" too. But which model? The 70" Class 1080p LED Smart TV with Quattron™ LC-70LE857U? Or the LC-70LE755U or the LC-70LE757U?
Best Buy says they will match Amazon's price which is significantly lower than the $3000 you paid which raises the question of how long of a life should I expect from a Sharp 70"?

I have more questions but this is a good start.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Poet!

My Sharp is a year old + now and I've had no complaints.
I bought the 3D 70" model that BestBuy featured at the time -- the 80" had just been introduced and the 90" was in the future.
It is a Quattron with 3D -- I would definitely advise those two features together. The Quattron gives a big boost to the 3D image.
I'm not sure what model is available now, but there is usually only one Quattron 3D in any given screen size at each retailer.
You're right that the prices have come down on 70" models. That's what comes from waiting!
The 90" model is backlit and is NOT Quattron. I'm not sure about the 80". There are cheaper variations on the 70" -- without 3D and/or Quattron.
My biggest complaint is the white LED lighting that all manufacturers are now using. There is a deficiency in the Cyan and the Red output.
It is not noticeable, once you calibrate out the clipping, but looking at a friend's older wide-gamut Toshiba with CCFL, the turquoise is just not as nice.
This, on a Sharp that is advertised to boost Cyan because of the Quattron technology (yellow allows the green to be bluer which allows better Cyan).
It will be a while before the manufacturers get away from these hybrid LEDs -- maybe a better phosphor to widen the lower spectrum and/or a less purple blue LED?
Meantime, the blue LED-yellow phosphor combination does make for brilliant whites with that extra yellow pixel. It's not a total loss.
I'm afraid I've gotten a bit prosaic...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

How do you respond to:

According to an analysis published in MaximumPC Magazine by Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, a video calibration equipment producer, Sharp's Quattron technology does not have the ability to show more colors than a standard RGB set. He argues that, due to industry-standard color spaces used by content providers, there is no existing source material that contains the fourth color channel. He further states that any "extra" colors displayed must simply be created in the television itself through video processing, resulting in exaggerated, less accurate color.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattron
Old 07-12-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Brightness and ease of flesh tone rendering are the strong suits for Quattron. Blue/yellow=white, as does RGB, which opens more aperature of the abundant blue to create white. Fleshtones never veer toward green because the algorithm uses the yellow and red. These make real differences in snap and accuracy.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM

I'm leaning towards this Sharp 70" model:

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70LE857U.aspx

What about audio? I notice the model above advertises 'Thunderous 35W Audio.' Do you have a sound bar or surround sound system? What are your thoughts in regard to the audio for this Sharp?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the TV speakers for everyday sound, but use a Yamaha surround receiver for Blu-Ray and music off the satellite.
HDMI cables and the return channel make synchronization trouble-free...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Did you purchase extended warranty and why or why not?

What is the optimal sitting distance for a Sharp 70"? Alternatively, how close can you comfortably sit to a Sharp 70"?

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I did not buy an extended warranty for a few reasons.
First, I had a problem with intermittent shut off and restart, like a few other people on this forum.
I contacted Sharp and they said that the problem was registered and if it ever gets worse, they would fix it.
That means no need to get the warranty extended for the most common problem. It hasn't had the problem in many months.
Second, warranties are sold for profit and I would rather keep the money to buy the next generation of set when this one wears out.
I would say that you could sit as close as 6 feet (2 meters) from the set without seeing the pixels and compression artifacts from source materials.
I sit more like 10 feet from the set. The closer you get, the more viewing angle becomes critical, of course. Up/down is not bad, but side to side is sensitive to angle...
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM

I once worked at an electronics retail store around 1988 and extended warranties were pushed big-time. I was leaning strongly against purchasing one but wanted to check because I didn't know if things had changed. And I read elsewhere that the Sharp is very reliable as well.

Next generation? Would 4K be the next generation? If you were in the market right now what would you buy? Keeping up with technology is a challenge.

BTW, I have never owned a large screen TV before. This will be my first. The last TV I owned was a Sony 27" CRT which I bought in 1994.

Is there anything wrong with only buying the TV first and then buy the Blu-ray, color calibration and audio system?

Thank you.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

You should have at least one good source of signal when you get the set.
Satellite from Dish is very good and some cable providers are adequate.
BluRay will really bring out the potential for you, though...
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:

You should have at least one good source of signal when you get the set.

I have a Bellsouth DSL Internet connection over Wi-Fi? Speedtest.net tells me my download speed varies from 1 to 2 to 5 Mbps? BellSouth/ATT's DSL is slow. Is my current source of signal adequate?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure. Are you able to pick up any HDTV signals with an antenna?

Tags
Sharp , Sony , Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv