HDMI audio/video sync issues ... could really use some advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hell all. I just bought Vizio E601-A3 and for the 1st time I am connect my tv with an HDMI cable directly out of the cable box and into the tv and sending the audio out of the tv via digital optical toslink to my sony 5.1 home theater. The problem I'm having is that the audio is slightly always behind on every station. From what I understand from various forums, it's usually the other way around ... the audio is usually ahead. This is driving me totally crazy. I've tried every possible audio setting on the cable box, the tv and the sony home theater. The tv has the latest firmware update, so that's not the problem. Here's the deal ... if I listen strictly to the sound from the tv and mute the sony 5.1, I'm seeing a "slight" delay. Not as bad, but it's there. When I go out of the optica from the tvl and into the sony, that delay gets slightly worse. Now, if I connect the digital audio out of the cable box and go directly into the sony 5.1, the delay is gone.

My question is this ..... is this a rarity or a somewhat common issue with audio AND video going together through HDMI? If it's the TV, I have a repair man coming out in a couple of days and my guess is that he'll probably swap it out for another since it's only a month old. If there's nothing I can do to remedy this problem, I may have to go with something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062NHTS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0A1SFC92PGH12ZXV8D1Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

so I can also hook up the audio output of my mac mini and the tv itself so i can use the internal apps like netflix, pandora, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Connecting the optical from the TV to the receiver is the wrong way to do it. With that, you will only get 2 channel stereo, not 5.1. As you have stated, running the optical from the cable box to the receiver fixed the problem, and this is how it should be done.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
Hi there,

I have the same problem but, take a look at the thread already started about this TV : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread . You will find more help and info in there.

James

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
post #4 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Connecting the optical from the TV to the receiver is the wrong way to do it. With that, you will only get 2 channel stereo, not 5.1. As you have stated, running the optical from the cable box to the receiver fixed the problem, and this is how it should be done.

I'm already subscribed to that thread and there wasn't a response to this problem when I posted it. I'm already on the latest firmware update so that's not the problem. I honestly just think that there is going to be some degree of latency on most TVs if the audio is being processed by the TV itself before it gets to the sound system. I had a long talk with my cable installer yesterday and he said that he sees this quite often.

Quote:

I don't believe that's correct ... at least in this case. I've been told repeatedly from both other Vizio owners and their own tech support that it does indeed output 5.1 through the optical toslink. How else would the built in apps like Netflix, etc do surround? From what I can tell listening to Netflix on this TV, it sure sounds like 5.1!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
I've been told repeatedly from both other Vizio owners and their own tech support that it does indeed output 5.1 through the optical toslink.

Some Vizio's do, most don't.
Quote:
How else would the built in apps like Netflix, etc do surround?

That's what the tv's optical port is for: integrated apps and the OTA tuner. Most tv's will not passthrough 5.1 from hdmi to the optical port.
Quote:
From what I can tell listening to Netflix on this TV, it sure sounds like 5.1!

Are you absolutely sure the receiver is seeing 5.1? This could be a "simulated" surround sound effect.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some Vizio's do, most don't.
That's what the tv's optical port is for: integrated apps and the OTA tuner. Most tv's will not passthrough 5.1 from hdmi to the optical port.
Are you absolutely sure the receiver is seeing 5.1? This could be a "simulated" surround sound effect.

Apparently this model does......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/2040#post_22970345
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page