Help with finding a good 55 3D TV-where to start? LG 55LM4600?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, i know this is an open ended question, but i currently have a 2010 model Sony 55EX501(sometimes known as the 55EX500), LCD HDTV. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to upgrade and go with 3D now. I do have the 3D blu-ray, Harman-Kardon 2600 that is 3D ready, and directv for 3D. Im trying to find something that wont break the bank in price, under $1500, lower the better, but will pay for a decent set. I definitely want something that would look as good as my sony is, which i think looks really good myself. From what ive found, it seems the led lcd is the way to go, is that correct? what are some good units to look at? Is a passive 3D ok to get so its like at the movies, or do i have to go to an active set? I was looking at the LG 55LM4600 at costco which is at a fantastic price i think there, it looks good in the store and the 3D preview looks great as well, but is it as good or better than my 3 year old sony? Is there something else i should be looking at as well? i dont really need the smart tv features, as my blu ray player has all the apps on it i need like amazon, etc. Any help or models and prices would be helpful, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As for Passive vs. Active, I recently bought a Panny 55" UT50 plasma what was active 3D and ended up sending it back (for IR and buzzing issues) and getting a Panny 55" ET5 Edge Lit LED set that's passive.

I like the passive 3D better. It has less cross talk IMO (blurring and double images) and doesn't tire my eyes out as much as the active 3D did. Granted, I only have experience with those two TVs--so it could just be those models versus being the typical passive vs. active difference.

In any case, I don't watch a ton of 3D, so I prefer not having to worry about batteries in the glasses being dead when I want to watch something etc.

As for overall recommendations, I'm not much of a videophile at all--so my recommendations probably don't go far on this site. But I'm very happy with the 55" ET5--especially for the $899.99 I got it for--it's back up over $1,300 on Amazon last I checked.

But a lot of people hate edge lit sets due to clouding (light not even on a black screen) etc. and only go with the full array LED sets that are a lot more expensive--will be tough to find a good one of those for under $1,500.