Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jh20001

post #1 of 13 Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have a 50" calibrated pdp5010fd and it needs to make way for something bigger, 70" or so. Nothing really wrong with it, just looking at bigger.

Can anyone offer feedback on relative picture quality to say a current 70" sharp LED at $2k (Costco, where I got the Kuro) or so? Or a 65" Samsung plasma? Something chewing less power would be nice - the Kuro is very warm to the touch, almost hot.

I am worried that I make the move and regret not spending a lot more. Mostly watching bluray movies and fast sport (soccer).

Picture quality is most of what I am after, bells and whistles are nice but much less important. No interest in 3D

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 191
LCd:
Sharp Elite Pro, Sony HX950/HX929 - full array local dimming LEDs
http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Plasma:
Panasonic VT50, VT60, ZT60.
Samsung PNxxF8500
post #3 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

So you think I really need to go top of the line to beat what I have right now? On reading more, I have to worry about angle viewing as well with LCD/LED, which I just assumed had been 'fixed' in the last 4 years......redface.gif(

BTW saw Devo a few months back for the first time on tour w/Blondie, great show!
post #4 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
A VT50 will beat your 8G solidly.

If you're only viewing dead-on, the Sharp (and maybe the Sony?) will also be an improvement over your 8G.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 191
boca rat(tongue.gif), you can buy a edge lit LED if you want to, make shure you can return it though.

*One would expect that someone who owns a calibrated kuro would only be interested in the kind of TVs i posted.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca rat View Post

I currently have a 50" calibrated pdp5010fd and it needs to make way for something bigger, 70" or so. Nothing really wrong with it, just looking at bigger.

Can anyone offer feedback on relative picture quality to say a current 70" sharp LED at $2k (Costco, where I got eh Kuro) or so? Or a 65" Samsung plasma? Something chewing less power would be nice - the Kuro is very warm to the touch, almost hot.

I am worried that I make the move and regret not spending a lot more. Mostly watching bluray movies and fast sport (soccer).

Picture quality is most of what I am after, bells and whistles are nice but ,much less important. No interest in 3D

Thanks!

I had purchased, had calibrated and returned a Sharp 80LE844, its big, its bright, it crushes black detail pretty bad, coming from a Kuro I can't see you enjoying the washed out blacks. That is the best big model from Sharp.

The Elite PRO-70X5FD (70") is now out of production and there are a lot of reports of questionable quality on the final production run of Nov. 2012 (check the owners thread). It might have comparable PQ to your Kuro, it is good on electricity, off axis viewing could be an issue depending on your room. I would only recommend it if you can get pre Nov.2012 build though.

Easy bet at this point would be a Panasonic 65VT50 as they are on sale now to make room for the new models, excellent PQ, easily comparable to your Kuro, and depending on who you ask might even be a step up in PQ. As a plasma it will run warmer than a LED/LCD, but should be noticeably cooler than your Kuro. As for 3D, you get it whether you want it or not, its built into just about everything but the lowest models, and as your criteria is PQ first, anything with good PQ also has 3D.

Not sure about your price range, but after returning the Sharp 80LE844U, and cancelling my order on the Elite PRO-70X5FD after finding out the one I ordered was from the final Nov. 2012 build, I went with a Samsung 75ES9000. Its 75" and right now is best PQ in a CURRENTLY made non UHD tv over 65". It is stupidly expensive for that privilege. Depending on the relationship you have with local AV dealers you MAY be able to get a decent discount, but really I would not want to speculate on what it might cost in Florida to get one out the door.

For Samsung plasma, you would be better off waiting to see how the yet to be released 64F8500 reviews. As a general rule, Samsungs have had a history of buzzing on some sets, but tend to have superior processing, and better non-tv related software. Panasonics on the other hand tend to be quieter, with better black levels, but not as good processing as the Samsungs, and personally I find their non-tv related software to be inferior to Samsungs. Before anyone jumps on me for those statements, let me repeat... these are generalizations and individual people may have different experiences than what I have generalized.

I have heard generally good things about the top of the line Sony (XBR65HX950) but other than seeing them in the Sony store, don't know much about them. If any of the things I have written about the other tv's steers you away from any of them, the Sony might be a good place to look for an alternative.

Hope you could find something useful in all this.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Price range around $2k, so the VT50 with discounts from PaulsTV would work OK at $2500. Local Best Buy had a GT50 (I think) 55" on display showing a Transformers movie and I was quite impressed.

BUT, I am a Costco member and saw the Samsung PN64E533 at $1250 plus $99 for the 5 year in home warranty......on another thread a member with a 5080 Kuro reckons it stacks up pretty well and that $1k saved could come in handy.....Pity I missed the $200 off the Samsung which ended last night

Any thoughts on that?

Big fan of Costco after an early Vizio 50" had the 'pop of death' after 27 months and they took it back, and I traded up to the Kuro for another $1k.

Thanks for all the help and links all of you, extremely helpful. I think I will be sticking with plasma by the look of things
post #8 of 13 Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well that didn't go according to plan - sh%t came up, room reorg didn't happen, life, etc. But back on track, room freshly painted, furniture removed, lots more room, so must have new TV....rolleyes.gif

Has much changed in your opinion(s) since Feb? Thoughts on the VT60 series? Do you see the ZT60 a big jump? Budget in the $2-3k range but hopefully black Friday will bring the prices down somewhat.

Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Yes a lot has changed, no more good quality Local Dimming sets. ( Sharp Elite Pro, Sony HX950/HX929 ) They are discontinued and gone. I hate to say it you missed the boat on LED's with about the same picture quality as your Pionneer. The Panasonic VT60 and ZT60 are your best choices I feel since you are coming from the Pioneer Plasma.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thx Cleveland - so definitely look for a VT60 over a VT50? How big a quality jump is VT60 to ZT60, and VT50 to ZT50?

Thanks again!
post #11 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I think you will notice a over all performance gain. I just hate seeing a plasma guy think that LED is the way to go, most plasma guys will not stray, except for OLED .
post #12 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 17
I can't believe that I have yet to ever see a Pioneer Kuro. I don't know why, but I had never seen one in-store here (or maybe I was just blind as a bat...). Oh well...it's time has come and gone.
BrianTisky likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I lucked out and got mine at Costco and it wasn't the top of the line 111FD (or whatever it was that cost $5-6k). I paid $2800 at Costco and offset that with a failed Vizio that I got $1900 for. I'd never seen one before either, just happened to luck out when the Vizio had the infamous "pop of death".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page