Many reports from CES say that Samsungs 2013 LEDs actually have better PQ than last years (better blacks, no clouding ect.). However, those reports are for their F8000 LED which is the most feature heavy.
Unfortunately, if you want a 2013 TV with the best PQ, then you will have to get a smart TV. I'm in a similar situation to you, as I don't really need the smart features either but I do want the best PQ and fast response time for playing PS3 (and soon PS4). I'm not sure what your budget is, but here are my recommendations:
1. Samsung F8000 ( Samsungs flagship LED, new design, no clouding, better colors and overall better PQ)
2. Sony W900 (replacement to last years HX850, HX950 design, triluminous LED tech for better colors)
1. Samsung ES8000 (they are very cheap now, and a new FW update fixed a lot of the PQ problems)
2. Sony HX950 (true backlit LED, you find a 55" for around $3200)
3. Sony HX850 (you lose the true backlit LED from the 950 but the PQ is still good, blacks won't be as dark though)
So far these are the only LEDs I know of, that have good blacks, good uniformity, and fast response time. There are other good LEDs such as the LG LM8600 (and the 2013 version) but they either have uniformity problems, or grayish blacks.