Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy108 View Post

Here's a URL for the power board if you care to replace the one that you have now. http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-09-60cap000-00-power-supply-led-board.htm

So I have replaced all three boards (tcon, power supply and main boards) in my vizio e601i-a3 and I still have the same thin green vertical line in the same place on the display prior to replacing the boards. Any thoughts on what my issue is? Is the an LED issue then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
First off let me say that Vizio has just updated my TV to software load 2.0.44 from 2.0.21. I don't know what all this upgrade does as I don't see any changes in what I've been doing. Maybe someone out there knows the answer to the changes this load updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by needpicback View Post

So I have replaced all three boards (tcon, power supply and main boards) in my vizio e601i-a3 and I still have the same thin green vertical line in the same place on the display prior to replacing the boards. Any thoughts on what my issue is? Is the an LED issue then?

Let me say that it's very difficult to troubleshoot your TV from my armchair and that's not why I started this post. If I can help in any way then I'm more than happy to be of help but again this is not the purpose of this thread! I have to ask; 1) Where did you buy this TV? 2) Did it always have this green vertical line on it from day one? 3) If bought from an authorized Vizio dealer was the TV covered by the one year warranty? 4) where did you buy the T-Con board and is it covered by a warranty?

Assuming that all the boards you purchased are good, then we have to look at the panel. Don't know if the panel can cause the problem that you are having but I do know that finding a good used replacement is very difficult. One sold for parts on E-bay that has a good panel would be a good start but keep in mind that those sold for parts are mostly because the TV was dropped and the panel is toast. I still think that the T-con board is suspect but that's just IMO.
post #63 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what a little googling on the web produced as to T-Con board problems;

T'Con board [Timing Control Board] is one which controls the on screen pixels of an LCD TV. It connects LCD panel to digital Processor section at the main board. This board will be usually fitted to display panel of an LCD TV. In most cases, it will be shielded with a metallic shield to prevent interference. These boards can be defective irrespective of Brand and Model. A defective T'con board can cause, very dark picture, sound but no picture, vertical lines either with the entire screen or will be displayed partially, and with improper color reproduction etc: The first thing to check is its connections. These boards are connected with flat cables. No solder joints. They are connected to small sockets either side, and will be locked. The lock can be released. Release the lock, and reinsert it. In most cases, loose contact or improper connection to these wires can cause several display problems.

Notice the statement on vertical lines.

Here's the answer I received as to the new software load 2.0.44 from Vizio support;

I believe this version update adjusts the menu layout. Also, it added Smart Interactivity. Smart Interactivity is software that intelligently recognizes the content shown on the screen and allows viewers to enjoy additional related content for a more interactive TV experience.
post #64 of 85 Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Great detail.  I just had this happen to me where my e603i-a3 60'' screen just went blank, but with sound. I replaced the Tcon board per your directions form this thread, however it's still doing the same thing. I turn it on the screen goes blue for a few seconds and then it's dark again.. I reset the connectors twice.  Is it possible I got a bad board or another issue? I have googled this a lot, and my problem points toward a bad tcon board.

Side note: I did have some issue getting the black flap up to disconnect the ribbon. I used a flat head screw driver to push it up, so I could disconnect.

post #65 of 85 Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Don't think that using a screwdriver on those connectors would harm anything since the pins are face down, just make sure that all connectors are seated properly. My situation was a bad T-Con board, as soon as I changed it out and turned the TV on the Vizio logo came up on the screen. IMO you still have a bad t-con board or the connectors are not seated properly. Don't know where you got the t-con board from but most vendors have a warranty.
post #66 of 85 Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Actually, got it off of Ebay. It came sealed, and packaged looked like it came from the manufacturer. Plus the guy at a 100% rating with over 400 transactions.

I'm assuming there is no way to know if the tcon board is bad or not?

post #67 of 85 Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Thank you for the quick response too.

post #68 of 85 Old 04-11-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I should say that my mainboard was changed too. I at first thought that the mainboard was the problem since most of the video processing is done there, but after changing it I still had no picture so rather than change back to the original mainboard I left the new one in and ordered the t-con board and after I installed it the vizio logo came on so I knew that the original t-con board was bad and since it was now working I didn't bother to put back the original mainboard (if it aint broke don't fix it), so I think I now have a good spare mainboard but there I go thinking again. Did you get the correct t-con board? It should have had a ZC stamped on the board next to the board number.
post #69 of 85 Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM

Hey guys,

So I also have a E601i-A3, and today.... I tripped, and fell right into it (don't ask), and broke the screen (upper left), as in... I hit it hard enough, where the screen in the upper left and really just the left side in general is now broken, and there's lines all over the place coming out at the point of impact.

So I need to replace the actual screen panel I suppose. I don't see this listed anywhere on the parts sites listed so far when I search for it giving it my model. Is replacing the panel even possible with this tv? I'm wondering what the price of the panel is. I paid about $850 I think when I bought the tv. I'd rather not spend another grand on a tv when I just got this in September of 2013.

I also highly doubt that it would be covered under the warranty... how would I explain the big ol' spider marks that look like someone hit a baseball at it?

post #70 of 85 Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 AM

I would look on E-Bay for one that has board problems, but a good panel.
post #71 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSanderson View Post

Hello, and thanks for this very descriptive explanation.  It is the most comprehensive I've found online so far.
I have the E701i-a3, (which we all agree is similar enough in design).  
My tv has a small segment of LED backlight on the lower portion of the screen about 10 inches long that is dark.  I've so far learned that the LEDs are likely wired like Christmas lights, where if one small bulb is faulty the whole section will be dark.
I intend to remove the segment of LED and either solder in a new LED if I can find the bad one, or else replace that LED module.
My question for you is how to specifically get these LED modules out, and if necessary, can these be bought individually.
Please help.
Thanks

Have you had any success with this? I have the same issue, bottom right hand corner. I actually had the cost of the tv reimbursed to me through square, and the issue was intermittent at first, but the corner is always dark now. see my post in the e701 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/2160#post_24556823
post #72 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Quick question here in relation to my cracked panel above.

I found a local guy who has the same tv e601-a3, and he's got an issue where his panel is half lit. Left sight, fully lit, right side dark (backlighting looks bad). His panel isn't completely bad correct? Just the backlighting which is separate? Could I just swap his panel in for my bad crack panel, and it should work? Or is the backlighting built into the actual screen itself and can't be replaced?

Thanks! Looking to get an answer back here as soon as possible so I can tell him whether or not I'm going to pick it up.

post #73 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ggomycraigo View Post

Have you had any success with this? I have the same issue, bottom right hand corner. I actually had the cost of the tv reimbursed to me through square, and the issue was intermittent at first, but the corner is always dark now. see my post in the e701 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/2160#post_24556823

USAFLTG, this applies to you as well.  In my case, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the panel, or the boards.  There is a strip of LEDs that are pretty difficult to get to.  About 50 screws, I'd estimate (though I don't remember, and don't have the TV anymore, could be closer to 30).  With enough patience you can get the LED strip out.  If you are able to CAREFULLY lay the TV flat on it's face, remove all the screws on the rear casing, pry-separate the front bezel from the rear casing, disconnect all the ribbon cables along the side and bottom of the LCD panel.  Then either CAREFULLY remove the extremely thin and VERY FRAGILE lcd panel from the rest of the TV (or) remove the rest of the TV from the VERY FRAGILE and thin lcd panel.  From here you will see a large glass (plastic?) panel in front of white reflective plastic film.  Remove both of these carefully.  (NOTE: if you bend the white reflective plastic film, this will cause the very common large white spots in your picture.)  After the reflective package is out you will have access to the 3 LED strips along the bottom of the TV. Unplug and remove the strip that is faulty. In my case, the dead LED was visibly cracked, so it was easy to find.  If they all look ok, a TV repair friend suggested to use a 9V battery with small wires to test each light individually.  They alternate in polarity, and are strung in series, so if you got this far, you can probably get through the testing for dead LED part.  (don't look directly at the LEDs when testing.  Trust me, they are wicked bright! Even looking away is not good.  Use a hand or object to shield your eyes.  You will know if they're on or not.) Once you determine which LED is dead, use thin wire and solder a jump across the dead one.  It won't matter that the jumped LED isn't lit, there's like 20 per string, and you will never notice once the TV is back together.  BE EXTRA CAREFUL IN PUTTING THE TV BACK TOGETHER.

(In my case, I had little trouble repairing (jumping) the LED, taking 1-2 hours to get to the soldering part.  Unfortunately in the process of putting the TV back together, I carelessly managed to crack the LCD panel, thus rendering my 70" tv almost worthless, and wasting 2 hours of my day.)

Did I mention be careful with the LCD panel?

Also, probably use at least 2 people.

... AND BE CAREFUL.

post #74 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafltg View Post

Quick question here in relation to my cracked panel above.

I found a local guy who has the same tv e601-a3, and he's got an issue where his panel is half lit. Left sight, fully lit, right side dark (backlighting looks bad). His panel isn't completely bad correct? Just the backlighting which is separate? Could I just swap his panel in for my bad crack panel, and it should work? Or is the backlighting built into the actual screen itself and can't be replaced?

Thanks! Looking to get an answer back here as soon as possible so I can tell him whether or not I'm going to pick it up.

So, specifically for you, if his panel is half lit, it's probably a bad LED string, and no problem with the panel.  You should be able to swap panels (CAREFULLY!!!), and be good to go.  Try to get a pic of his screen in the ON state.  If there is a straight line down the middle, and half works and half doesn't, he might have connections issues with the panel and T-con.  If there is a dark triangle at the bottom of the screen (about two feet long at bottom, peak of dark triangle about a foot above bottom), then it's a bad LED string.

Good Luck! and BE CAREFUL WITH THAT PANEL.  It's the whole value of the set, though I'm sure you know that by now.

post #75 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Here's the pictures from his tv. I'm driving up there now. Is this doable or his panel bad? If the led string is bad, then how can that be replaced?

228e07ddaddfe268779fa3b2344972d9_zps438d2ac8.jpg

c4861005241703575e89fb30c97e7474_zps2ed3e3cf.jpg
post #76 of 85 Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM

FlyGuy108,

I have a Vizio E601i-a3 with the recalled serial number listed in the recall for the screen blackout problem that you are all describing. So, following your advice, I purchased a new t-con board from ShopJimmys with the ZC stamp on it. I installed the the board and put everything back together on the tv except for the screws. I turned on the tv, but there is still no picture. Does it take time for the timing to correct to put out the picture? I am letting it run with a video feed input to show a picture if it ever appears.

What would you recommend I do next? Try another t-con board, test the board, swap the main board, or move to on another troublesome area?

Thanks,

Chris

post #77 of 85 Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

First lets get the ground rules straight, I don't advise anything, this thread was posted by me to relate the problem that I had and what I did to fix that problem. This doesn't mean that all problems of this nature will require the exact same fix. While I've had experience repairing TV's this doesn't qualify me to be an expert on TV repair. If you read the entire thread from the beginning you will see that in the end I replaced both the main board and the t-con board. When I replaced the main board the problem still existed so I replaced the t-con board and the TV came up and running fine. I didn't go back and put the original main board in because all was working fine and I didn't want to take the TV apart again (if it ain't broke don't fix it). So I really don't know if both the main board and the t-con were both bad but I was happy that everything was working good. As of this posting all is still working good and Vizio has updated the software load on the TV and it now runs better than ever. The TV apps now include Skype and some other functions. The software load installed online by Vizio is 2.0.44 I believe.
post #78 of 85 Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 AM

I ended up replacing the t-con board and the main board to no avail. I ended up calling in a tv technician who determined that I had a bad screen. He was able to identify this by disconnecting the flat ribbon cables (one for controlling the left half of the screen, the other for the right half) running from the bottom of the t-con board to the bottom of the screen one at a time. Once he disconnected the left cable, the right side of the screen started displaying. Maybe this will help others with a bad screen determine that before replacing a bunch of parts. Once the screen goes bad, it's time to chunk the tv as the screen is about 75% of the cost of the tv new.

post #79 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 1
I've got a E701i-A3 that lost the video. Still had audio and the remote still works to turn the TV on and off and the volume up and down. No warranty as I bought the TV from an individual. TV worked great for about 4 months. Now when I turn it on I do not get the Visio logo and then a blue screen and then it goes darker but with the back lights still on. Since boards are relatively cheap compared to a new TV I bought a main controller board. Didn't fix it. I bought a power supply board. Didn't fix it and the back lights didn't come on. Figuring that I had gotten a bad power supply board I bought another and got the back lights back but didn't fix the video problem. Reading up I found out about the infamous T con board and said, "Ah Ha!". So I ordered not one but two of the RUNTK5261TPZH board which is what was in the TV. Tried them both and didn't fix it. I have back lights but absoutely nothing out of the LCD. I've reseated the connectors at the LCD display and at the T con. No good. I didn't use a wrist strap or static gloves so I thought I might have zapped the T con boards so I bought a third T con board and used static gloves being very careful in handling the board. No good. I have the same symptom no matter what I replace. Turn it on and a dark screen with no logo, then a brighter blue screen for about 30 seconds or so then a darker screen but still backlights. The TV has not been moved or hit or damaged. It was sitting in place when the screen went blank so I just see how the LCD display would be bad. I even tried the tip of unplugging half the screen at a time but still got the same dark blue screen. So both sides of the screen would have had to go out. Not likely.

My brother has the same TV so we got smart and decided to use his TV to test my boards. Yes...he really loves me! We laid both TVs out flat near each other. We removed the PS board from my set and put it in his. It worked. We put his PS board back in. Then we put in my controller board in his set and it worked. We put his controller board back. Then we removed his T con board and put one of mine in his set. It DIDN'T work. So we said "AH HA". Definitely a bad T con board. THEN..... we put his T con board back in and it DIDN'T work. Same symptoms as my set had, no logo and dark blue screen. So now we have to TVs down.

If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I've never been so bumfuzzled in my life. We can't get either TV to show video. His was working perfectly and all we did was take the T con out and put it back in. We've reseated the ribbon cables and nothing makes any difference. I sure could use some help.
namanh likes this.
post #80 of 85 Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm posting this in three different (but related) threads to try and get maximum coverage in case someone has experienced the same issues or have gotten any fixes that they can share.

My E601i-A3 had been working perfectly fine since March 2014. I had it direct connected to a gigE switch with cat5e cable and SmartTV apps were setup and working fine. I also have an HTPC connected to HDMI1 and regular ATSC OTA antenna connected to the RF port. All was working just fine since the day of install.

On Monday (28 Jul) the TV was suddenly unresponsive to remote control command. I couldn't turn it off/on with the power button. I couldn't change inputs (HDMI or other) using the input button. I couldn't get it to go to regular TV and because of that I assumed I couldn't get it to change channels. I could get it to pull up the Smart apps menu using the V button but couldn't select any of the apps because the OK button wouldn't work.

I couldn't pull up the settings menu because menu button was in-op. I then tried to power off using the button on the side of the TV. It was in-op as well. So were the Menu, Channel and Volume buttons on the side of the TV, all in-op.

I unplugged the unit from wall AC. After initialization I used the panel power button to turn-on. I heard a loud static pop through the speakers but the unit did power up. After the processor board boot I had about 15 secs of useful remote control capability but then the unit went unresponsive again.

Each time I wanted to change input or get to the settings menu I would have to repeat the
unplug from AC power and restart routine. I had roughly 15 secs to get as far as I could into any commands that I wanted to deliver before the unit would again become inoperable. The static pop would happen on at least 30% of all of those restarts.

I then consulted Vizio. The first contact was through email. They gave me written instruction on how to perform a factory reset and to use the unplug from AC and hold power button for 30sec fix. Even after factory reset the unit still would only give roughly 15 secs of allowable control before locking up.

Vizio then had me to call the 1-877 support number. The phone tech also had me to do
the factory reset and 30 sec power button hold fix. When it still didn't work the phone tech had me to disconnect the unit from my network (removed ethernet cable) and accomplish factory reset. The unit then started to respond to remote control and side panel buttons.
I thought all was well so I proceeded to connect my ethernet cable and immediately the unit went into the same inoperable state as before. I disconnected ethernet and restarted and manual control function was restored.

I tried then to use wireless network connection. Again as soon as the unit was connected to the network the manual controls became inoperable.

So my dilemna now is that I have to choose whether I want the unit connected to my network or whether I will try to establish the functionality of the Smart TV apps and sacrifice those in lieu of manual control. Effectively if I can no longer connect the unit to the network, it renders the SmartTV capability useless. But if I connect it to my network it renders the TV useless. The device was designed so that one could use both. It was previously working just fine with both. Why can't it be made to go back and work again with both?

To my knowledge there have been no forced firmware or software updates made to the system since initial installation that might would have caused this. I haven't changed anything about my AV hardware nor network hardware in that same timeframe. So it begs the question. What could have caused this? Vizio didn't have any suggestion as to what in hardware could be causing it. I haven't heard back from them on whether a firmware update is available that should affect it or fix it.

Have any of you had any experiences like this? Does anyone know of any known fixes to this? I'm just trying to get the unit to go back to functioning the same way that it did prior to 28 Jul. Nothing overt was done to put it into this state, so what overt actions can be taken to get it back to its previous level of functionality?

Any information or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

EZed
post #81 of 85 Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Liked: 0
Am I the only one?

So I've had the Model: E601i-A3 - Version: 2.0.44 for about 10 months and recently I purchased an Xbox One and a PS4. There has always been a slight bright spot on the middle left side of the screen, but with the XO and PS4 it's very noticeable, especially in apps and playing games... To the point where it's very distracting. I can also see some vertical stripes or panels, not sure how to describe them, variances in the brightness levels that create varying degrees of brightness in the bright spot (almost like I'm seeing inside the TV). This is visible with any viewable settings, meaning that all the setting are in the reasonable range, not turned all the way down or up.

I'm a bit of tech junkie and a perfectionist when it comes to the picture setting so this is driving me crazy. I changed the HDMI inputs around, changed HDMI cables, adjusted the back light, brightness, and contrast in every arrangement imaginable but to no avail. It does the exact same thing on both my XO and PS4, so I know it has to be the TV. I have the HDMI for both of them plugged directly into the TV so I know that's not the issue, and for full disclosure I run it with all the extras turned off and always on game mode.

The other thing is that when I turn the brightness down, usually past about 48 or 47 the edges of any black on the screen smear to purple when the camera pans. This is true of games, apps, and blurays for both the XO and PS4. I've got an email conversation with Vizio started, but it seems that many of my fellow tech junkies roaming these forums are smarted than most of the people who work there. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS4 Setting via Disney Wow

Backlight 45
Brightness 48
Contrast 65
Tint 0
Color 39
Sharpness 2

All advanced features OFF
Game Mode ON

Also, I'm going to try and take a photo or screen shot and post it so everyone can see what I'm talking about.
post #82 of 85 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Friend I'd like to know what you have done to fix your VIZIO please share with us because I have the same problems as you since my E701i-A3 lost video (still have audio) dark blue screen and I changed everything but no luck.
Thank You Very Much
Merry Christmass
post #83 of 85 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Hello Friend I'd like to know what you have done to fix your VIZIO please share with us because I have the same problems as you since my E701i-A3 lost video (still have audio) dark blue screen and I changed everything but no luck.
Thank You Very Much
Merry Christmas
post #84 of 85 Old Today, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanh View Post
I would call Vizio Customer Service because they extended the warranty to two years on this specific problem. They will replace the TV in your home, if covered. If not covered, Flyboy has done an excellent job of posting the DYI procedures and parts availability in this Forum.
post #85 of 85 Old Today, 08:42 AM

Hi, I have a Vizio E701i-A3 (Serial#LFTRNXAP) this TV just quit play Video (only dark backlight screen no Menu , no Vizio display at all BUT the audio is good. I tried to repair this because it out of warranty.
I did tried to replace 3 T-CON board RUNTK5261ZH and a main board and a power supply board but no luck.
symptom is still the same no matter what I also tried to power the TV without T-CON board connect to LCD panel but nothing
change. So if You see this post please help me It seem like the T-CON board locked up the video signal from Main Board or
the LCD panel is not recognize the T-CON or main board , I'm very confuse so please help me to solve this problems.
Thank You Very Much
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Vizio Vx32l Hdtv 32 Inch Widescreen Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E601i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page