Vizio E601i-a3 Repair - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 97 Old 06-18-2015, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mission: Save Vizio E601i-A3E

Please help me keep this expensive device out of the landfill...6 mo. out of warranty...panel thought to be OK.

Symptoms prior to failure:
1. The picture kept flashing to black screen and then right back to normal. It would do this intermittently.

2. After replacing cables, trying various input combinations, etc., it seemed to be operating correctly. All of a sudden while playing, it made a loud sound sort of like 4th of July sparklers on steroids. It also "popped" somewhere in this process. The TV was immediately turned off, and then there was no power anywhere. No indicator lights, nothing.

Attempts to restore to date:

1. I opened the set and inspected the IPS. No bulging caps, no suspicious looking tracks or damage on the board. I then moved to the Main board. Nothing visible. All connections looked good, but I disconnected and carefully reseated them to be sure. Did the same for the T-Con board. Same result. Since there was no power anywhere, I decided to get a replacement IPS. I tested it and the readings were the same as the old board.

After I installed the new IPS, I noticed the Back Light LED's blinked on and off about the same as the picture did prior to the shut-down. This suggests to me that this issue is not signal related, but a problem with the LED control. Below are the readings taken on the power distribution strip on the IPS. The only thing that seems abnormal is the 12V to The T-Con. (it never displayed voltage present on terms. 14 & 15 with either IPS)

Term: #: Voltage Reading Description on TB Notes
1 3.3VDC 3.3V All readings taken with cables to Main Bd.
2 3.43VDC AC-Det and T-Con Bd. connected.
3 3.26VDC PS-On
4 12.2VDC Au-12V
5 Grd. Grd.
6 Grd. Grd.
7 Grd. Grd.
8 12.2VDC 12V Reg
9 12.2VDC 12V Reg
10 1.76VDC BL-Err 3.32VDC when off.
11 .006VDC LED-On 3.00VDC when on.
12 2.63VDC LED-Br 2.75VDC when on.
13 .037VDC NC
14 .015VDC 12V T-Con
15 .003VDC T-Con-On

2. While the picture flashed off and on, the sound remained constant until the "melt-down" when it went away with everything else. I shouldn't say melt-down, b/c there was no smoke, no smell of charred components, etc. nor any other indication of a significant energy release.

3. Another clue...The on/off button on the TV did not work, when pressed into service for testing. I carefully checked to see that the ribbon cable was correctly connected on the Main board.

4. All the P/N's, tags, and other forms of ID matched for the replacement IPS. My main board has a P/N that doesn't appear on ShopJimmy's Site, but maybe the listed replacement is the right one. I contacted them for assistance in ordering the correct parts for my needs, and I got an explanation for why they couldn't help me that was more involved than if they just told me what I needed. Not the right answer to someone who is trying to buy your parts.
So, I'm here hoping someone will share their knowledge and make my day. (Wife seriously looking for a hero here!)

Thanks so much to anyone willing to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM

Correction

The previous post did not honor the column spacing for the IPS voltage readings. View the results as 4 separate columns and it will make more sense.
Thanks.
post #93 of 97 Old 06-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You do know that these tv's had a video chip issue and Vizio extended the warranty for them. Try calling Vizio and see if yours is still covered.
post #94 of 97 Old 06-18-2015, 09:17 AM

Thanks Indept...I think mine may be too new to qualify (Jan 2014) but it is certainly worth a try. I will post the result. Thanks for your help.
post #95 of 97 Old 06-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys just curious is that fuse serviceable on that power board? I ask because my VIZIO E601I-A3 will not turn on anymore after a strong thunderstorm. I had it plugged into a surge protector and turned off while the storm was going but I guess that did no good. Im hoping the lightning only popped that fuse on the lower left of the power board.

Thanks,
post #96 of 97 Unread 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM

Vizio e601i-a3 tv: Was watching Netflix app, Lightening struck near house but not even super close. Was plugged into a power strip. Picture went black, still has sound. Unpluged tv 15 mins & hold the power button & then plug in & power on with button on tv I have a picture, only for 20-30 mins.I have to repeat to get picture again. Internet, all inputs, all apps, & speakers work. Picture perfect when on. Does not make any weird sounds when picture stops displaying.
post #97 of 97 Unread 06-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Also *if* it is the T-Con board can I put the universal RUNTK5261TPZG in it? All the websites say this is now the universal replacement for the E601i-A3 It doesn't need programming put on it right?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
visio tv repairs , Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Vizio Vx32l Hdtv 32 Inch Widescreen Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E601i by PriceGrabber.com