What is difference in video quality between LED and LCD displays in pic quality. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't see an "LED" forum here. We are shopping for a low end 32" TV to hang in a spare bedroom. It will only be displaying SD TV channels via Comcast digital adapter. Someone posted on a review of an LED set on Amazon that LED is not as good as LCD for SD pic display.
If this should be posted somewhere else - please let me know.

Thanks.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I don't see an "LED" forum here. We are shopping for a low end 32" TV to hang in a spare bedroom. It will only be displaying SD TV channels via Comcast digital adapter. Someone posted on a review of an LED set on Amazon that LED is not as good as LCD for SD pic display.
If this should be posted somewhere else - please let me know.

Thanks.

mike

LED and LCD both have the same resolutions (1080p or 720p) so it won't make a difference for SD quality or HD quality.

The main difference between the two is the backlight. An LED TV is really just an LCD TV but with LED backlights instead of CCFL backlights. The screen itself is still just a regular LCD screen.

Also, there are two kinds of LED TVs, backlit and edge lit. Backlit LEDs position the LED lights directly behind the screen, while edge LED TVs position the LEDs around the edges of the screen (top and bottom, left and right).

As far as advantages of LED, this is what I've found through personal use and reviews:

- LED TVs will use less energy and are more eco friendly in their materials.

- LED TVs are much thinner and lighter, making them easier to move.

- In some cases, LED TVs are brighter than standard LCDs.

- LED TVs with local dimming functionality will have deeper blacks than LCDs.

For your situation, I'd highly recommend an LED TV because you intend on wall mounting it. The lighter weight of the LED TVs will make wall mounting easier and safer for you. Also, most TV companies are switching all of their LCDs to LED, so you may not be able to find an LCD anyways.

When you decide to buy, I'd recommend looking at Samsung's and Sony's. Remember, that just because you walk into BestBuy (or wherever you buy it from) doesn't mean you have to walk out with a TV. Always write down the model number of the TV you like and read reviews on it before you buy it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
eclipsegt -
Your explanation was very clear. Since this is to be mounted in a room that gets little use, I figured I'd buy a low priced model since PQ is not an issue. After reading your post, did some online searching. The no names were out of stock everywhere. (They would have run $200-$220.) Went to Target and spent $250 (less the 5% Target card discount + the 10% Ca. sales tax) for a Vizio. This model seemed to have decent reviews and Vizio seems to have made a name for itself the past few years. It's replacing a 3 y.o. Panny LCD with only a few hundred hours on it that died.. Our two Panny plasmas (6 y.o. and 4 y.o. work perfectly with tons of hours on each.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 113
LED is LCD. CCFL is LCD. LED is not CCFL.