Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 4999 Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoellAlex View Post

Can someone give me the link to the promotional hulu/Netflix/music site? I know it is in this thread somewhere but it is so large I cant seem to find it. Has it been working at all as of late?

Scratch that, I found it.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43114/kw/netflix%20offer

Now I have a new problem. I think I need to get a registration code, but the directions are not clear.

~~To get the Registration Code
1.Please make sure your BRAVIA internet enabled TV is connected to your network, powered on and active.
2.Press the Home button on your remote control and navigate to the Network icon on the Xross Media Bar.
3.Scroll to Activate Enhanced Features and select by pressing enter.
4.Locate the Registration Code for your BRAVIA TV.~~

Can anyone point the blind man to where the "Activate Enhanced Features" button is?

Did you purchase the TV before 12/31/2013? I have not tried that yet because it says tv should be purchased before that date. I dont know if that is the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 4999 Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

Wow, you mean you would actually remotely consider returning a set with a small dent in the back panel with a screen that is free of issues?

I noticed it before I even turned it on as I was finishing putting it on the stand + mount. So yeah I thought about it. But then I turned it on and all thoughts of exchanging it went away. I agree, a fantastic screen is worth keeping.
post #3033 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SToRM666 View Post

Yes, that is normal.

Okay, also when I hooked it up to my PC I noticed the screen starts to turn pink off center on all white background. Also, normal?
post #3034 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Vivid mode will give you the brightest picture, yes. But Cinema 2 is measured to be the closest to the standard you should be aiming for. You can make adjustments at the margins, depending on personal preference and viewing environment. But if you want your set to display what the director intended, then Warm 2 is the best starting point. If you have never been exposed to it, it can seem dark or too red, but it just takes some getting used to.

How come when I go to the movies they don't have the orange reddish tinge like these cinema settings?
post #3035 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

How come when I go to the movies they don't have the orange reddish tinge like these cinema settings?

Movie theaters are rarely calibrated anymore. There was a time when each theater had personnel with the knowledge to calibrate both the audio and video. Those days are long gone. But look around at professional reviews of this and other sets. They are all looking to get it to the Rec 709 standard, which Warm 2 comes pretty damn close to out the box.
post #3036 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

They are all looking to get it to the Rec 709 standard, which Warm 2 comes pretty damn close to out the box.
However, I've seen quite some calibration reports stating that warm2 is indeed a good notch *too* warm (5700k is a number I remember), while warm1 is already too cold (7000 or 7500k, don't remember for sure).
Out in the wild, to the average spectator warm1 often is more appealing than warm2.

Quote:

Also, after reading hundreds and hundreds of user reports in different forums, I do believe that not all people are seeing the same colors, due to the triluminos/QuantumDot-Backlight system. It seems that some people are more sensitive to the red spektrum that is created by the Q-dots, and therefore experience the picture being too reddish.
(If so - try the white balance, reduce red:bias by 1 or 2 clicks, and reduce red:gain as much as it needs to look "right".)
post #3037 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

However, I've seen quite some calibration reports stating that warm2 is indeed a good notch *too* warm (5700k is a number I remember), while warm1 is already too cold (7000 or 7500k, don't remember for sure).
Out in the wild, to the average spectator warm1 often is more appealing than warm2.
Also, after reading hundreds and hundreds of user reports in different forums, I do believe that not all people are seeing the same colors, due to the triluminos/QuantumDot-Backlight system. It seems that some people are more sensitive to the red spektrum that is created by the Q-dots, and therefore experience the picture being too reddish.
(If so - try the white balance, reduce red:bias by 1 or 2 clicks, and reduce red:gain as much as it needs to look "right".)

I tried some of the settings that were posted a couple pages back, and on an all white screen it looks organish white. People can't possibly think that's how it should look. I know people mention that each panel is different, but that doesn't make sense. Why would there be different panels on the same TV. I think my white balance needs to be adjusted differently to compensate for the orange tint.
post #3038 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would this screen be an improvement over my Panasonic TC-P46G10?
post #3039 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

I tried some of the settings that were posted a couple pages back, and on an all white screen it looks organish white. People can't possibly think that's how it should look. I know people mention that each panel is different, but that doesn't make sense. Why would there be different panels on the same TV. I think my white balance needs to be adjusted differently to compensate for the orange tint.

There are manufacturing variances. You can see it in other ways as well (such as things like uniformity). There's a range of tolerances for what they produce because trying to hit a perfect spec every time would mean low yields and a more expensive product. For example, it's likely that not all of the backlights on these TVs emit the exact same spectrum of light. Some may be a bit more red, some may have a touch more green, and yet others may be biased towards blue.

In the factory, these displays undergo a quick and dirty calibration in the service menu to bring their settings close to being the same for a particular factory default. But they aren't exhaustive because doing so would take too much time and lower the production output.

So, that's why you can't always take settings that people post and use them. That person may have a set that's overly blue and you may have a set that's overly red, so if you use their calibrated settings, you can be pitched way too far into the red. It doesn't take much variance to be noticeable.

Another factor is environment. Ambient light has a HUGE influence on how we perceive white. For example, take snow on the ground. Throughout the course of the day, the color of that snow is going to change by a huge margin. However, you are always going to identify it as white because your brain adapts to the massive shift in color temp as the sun moves across the sky to keep white, white. However, indoors, ambient light and TV output can compete. So, if the ambient light in your room is warm to begin with, then a 6500k calibrated TV is going to look very white and not red/yellow at all. If you are using a 'daylight' CFL, it's supposed to closely match the color temp you are shooting for on the TV. However, many CFL (and some LED) bulbs have a very poor CRI (color rendition index) so while they are marketed as having a 6500k color temp, they tend to be lacking in the red spectrum and come off too blue/green. That shifts perception of white towards blue so then the TV looks overly red/yellow.

At the end of the day, it's your TV and you should set it up however looks best for you. However, white can look WILDLY different depending on environment and what looks white white in a theater might just be the same thing that looks red/yellow to you at home due completely to viewing conditions.
JohnGZ28 likes this.
post #3040 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

There are manufacturing variances. You can see it in other ways as well (such as things like uniformity). There's a range of tolerances for what they produce because trying to hit a perfect spec every time would mean low yields and a more expensive product. For example, it's likely that not all of the backlights on these TVs emit the exact same spectrum of light. Some may be a bit more red, some may have a touch more green, and yet others may be biased towards blue.

In the factory, these displays undergo a quick and dirty calibration in the service menu to bring their settings close to being the same for a particular factory default. But they aren't exhaustive because doing so would take too much time and lower the production output.

So, that's why you can't always take settings that people post and use them. That person may have a set that's overly blue and you may have a set that's overly red, so if you use their calibrated settings, you can be pitched way too far into the red. It doesn't take much variance to be noticeable.

Another factor is environment. Ambient light has a HUGE influence on how we perceive white. For example, take snow on the ground. Throughout the course of the day, the color of that snow is going to change by a huge margin. However, you are always going to identify it as white because your brain adapts to the massive shift in color temp as the sun moves across the sky to keep white, white. However, indoors, ambient light and TV output can compete. So, if the ambient light in your room is warm to begin with, then a 6500k calibrated TV is going to look very white and not red/yellow at all. If you are using a 'daylight' CFL, it's supposed to closely match the color temp you are shooting for on the TV. However, many CFL (and some LED) bulbs have a very poor CRI (color rendition index) so while they are marketed as having a 6500k color temp, they tend to be lacking in the red spectrum and come off too blue/green. That shifts perception of white towards blue so then the TV looks overly red/yellow.

At the end of the day, it's your TV and you should set it up however looks best for you. However, white can look WILDLY different depending on environment and what looks white white in a theater might just be the same thing that looks red/yellow to you at home due completely to viewing conditions.

So much awesome information. Well, I'm gonna keep on tinkering around with the settings. Do you know anything about the pink tint I'm getting when the screen is all white but when off axis?
post #3041 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Liked: 14

just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted the $1599 frys and J&R deal i was able to amazon to price match me on the J&R deal and got $200 back :)

my new tv will be here tomorrow :)

post #3042 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Frys has it back at 1599

post #3043 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Liked: 12
BB price matched my January 18th purchase to Fry's $1,599 on the 27th. I just brought in a printout of the Fry's checkout screen. I'm either stupid or lazy but without this forum I never would have known to get $400 refunded.

As far as the television is concerned; the picture looks great although I'm still screwing around with the settings. I see the shadows on the edges of a white screen but not really a distraction. I'm not going to look for dead/stuck pixel's as everything looks fine during normal viewing.

I purchased this TV stand. At its lowest setting the screen is pretty much eye level and room for a sound bar on the top shelf.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3-in-1-tv-stand-for-flat-panel-tvs-up-to-56/2405166.p?id=1218346770491&skuId=2405166&st=whalen&cp=1&lp=4
post #3044 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

So much awesome information. Well, I'm gonna keep on tinkering around with the settings. Do you know anything about the pink tint I'm getting when the screen is all white but when off axis?

What further complicates matters is luminance has a direct effect on how we perceive a particular color temp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruithof_curve

So, 6500k daylight looks "right" to us because it's very very bright. However, a lower output CFL at the same color temp will tend to look blue and not "pleasant"
post #3045 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM

So I am on my third set and am starting to think that my attempts to get a near perfect are forever futile as maybe one does not exist.  For the money, I would expect not to see this sort of clouding.  I know it's not terrible, but disappointing nonetheless.  The adjacent corner is not as visible as it appears in the picture, but the area in the circle is certainly noticeable on a mostly black screen as the one shown above.  It is clear as day on title screens, etc. and I consider it a fairly large distraction, although obviously not visible on frames with large amounts of light and color.  

Does anyone have a set that doesn't have this problem?  I am almost certainly going to play the lottery once more.  

post #3046 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you know anything about the pink tint I'm getting when the screen is all white but when off axis?
Well, the thing about off-axis pink tint is that you get pink tint when you're looking off-axis. What information exactly do you expect? smile.gif

(Opposed to what many think, it's not primarily a "too much red" issue (only little, if at all). The major part of the effect is a "too little green" issue. When looking from an angle, effective green gain is fading faster than effective red & blue gain. )
post #3047 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Runner View Post

So I am on my third set and am starting to think that my attempts to get a near perfect are forever futile as maybe one does not exist.  For the money, I would expect not to see this sort of clouding.  I know it's not terrible, but disappointing nonetheless.  The adjacent corner is not as visible as it appears in the picture, but the area in the circle is certainly noticeable on a mostly black screen as the one shown above.  It is clear as day on title screens, etc. and I consider it a fairly large distraction, although obviously not visible on frames with large amounts of light and color.  

Does anyone have a set that doesn't have this problem?  I am almost certainly going to play the lottery once more.  

My 900A which I'm about to take back (for another issue) has no noticeable clouding or flashlighting. Do you have dynamic LED turned on to at least "low"? Do you see the clouding during letterbox movies? If not, I'm not sure why you are worried about it. Very few LED sets of any brand will have no clouding of some degree.
post #3048 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 PM

So I didn't have any takers when I asked a few days ago whether anyone else had an issue where there were yellow tinted areas of the screen when displaying a white screen or a white scene such as snow and ice. It appears such as inconsistencies in the white balance on an all white screen. On my particular set the center of the screen was a "dirty" white while the left and right sides were pure white as you would expect.

Now I am intending tomorrow to return the set and pick up another with the expectation that I got a bad panel. Now if this is actually a characteristic of this panel I would appreciate someone telling me now before I go and bring another one home. I don't see anyone complaining about it, but if this is "normal", I'm not sure this is the set for me. Otherwise the colors and picture are top notch.

Thanks.
post #3049 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

Well, the thing about off-axis pink tint is that you get pink tint when you're looking off-axis. What information exactly do you expect? smile.gif

(Opposed to what many think, it's not primarily a "too much red" issue (only little, if at all). The major part of the effect is a "too little green" issue. When looking from an angle, effective green gain is fading faster than effective red & blue gain. )

lol just wondering if that is normal or a defect
post #3050 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:

lol just wondering if that is normal or a defect

They are all like that.
post #3051 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM

I just watched the marine 3 on mine and I must say I marvel at how stunning this set looks. The trees the bank looks so life-like I felt immerse in the film. I do think a lot of ppl here should lower their backlight to at least 5, it makes such a huge difference, warm1 is OK but I prefer neutral too. I get that extra pop in the films/contents that I view.
post #3052 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM

My set will be delivered in a couple days. All this talk about clouding (and a pic so I know what it is) and other issues has me a bit worried. This will be my first direct view flat panel. I'm coming from a 6 year old sony kds-55a3000 rplcd. It is on its last Legg with an optical black problem that has 1/3 of the screen covered in a nice yellowish blob. Before this I have had zero problems. Absolutely no uniformity issues. It did have SSE but that is inherent of the type of screen. Black levels and depth have always been great. Starting to feel like I may have been spoiled a bit. I have read 75 of 100+ pages in this thread. Starting to sound like no direct view panel is perfect. I am really excited about this tv's potential. Just starting to worry that I'm going to be disappointed and wish that my A3000 was still working properly. Plasma is not an option for me. I have too many young children to have to constantly baby the set in fear of IR.
post #3053 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Maybe I have been living in the stone ages lol. But up until here recently I never saw a direct view set that I thought came anywhere close to my A3000, until I saw this one. I will say though that 1599 for this set seems like a steal if all goes well.
post #3054 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 PM

I think what some others have said here (or implied) is worth bearing in mind. These displays are not perfect--no LCD screen is. If you're looking for perfection, you won't find it here. My 900 looks damn good, even watching Netflix. Never seen a better display.
My guess is there are a number of TVs being returned I'd be perfectly happy with.
post #3055 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggleswitch View Post

My set will be delivered in a couple days. All this talk about clouding (and a pic so I know what it is) and other issues has me a bit worried. This will be my first direct view flat panel. I'm coming from a 6 year old sony kds-55a3000 rplcd. It is on its last Legg with an optical black problem that has 1/3 of the screen covered in a nice yellowish blob. Before this I have had zero problems. Absolutely no uniformity issues. It did have SSE but that is inherent of the type of screen. Black levels and depth have always been great. Starting to feel like I may have been spoiled a bit. I have read 75 of 100+ pages in this thread. Starting to sound like no direct view panel is perfect. I am really excited about this tv's potential. Just starting to worry that I'm going to be disappointed and wish that my A3000 was still working properly. Plasma is not an option for me. I have too many young children to have to constantly baby the set in fear of IR.

My set has some of that clouding like the photo above when I select an input with nothing connected and blank black screen. During movies with black bars it is not at all noticeable and doesn't detract from the movie experience. I have LED dynamic control set to Low. The clarity and colors on this set are amazing, as is motion flow (I happen to like some soap opera effect now and then, and there is no choppiness with this set). Give it a try and if you don't like it return it. I've never seen an LCD that has zero uniformity / clouding issues, it is what it is. Be happy if you get a screen with no banding, major uniformity issue, or dead / stuck pixels and leave it at that- that is all I check for in a new TV. Man, ignorance was bliss before I discovered this website tongue.gif
post #3056 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM

So, Tarheel, what the heck with the DD 5.1 question on the W900a? Does tv audio get to your soundbar in DD? I want to buy one of these, but I have a hard time getting a straight answer about this.
post #3057 of 4999 Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

They are all like that.

Are you referring to just this TV or all LCDs in general?
post #3058 of 4999 Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

My set has some of that clouding like the photo above when I select an input with nothing connected and blank black screen. During movies with black bars it is not at all noticeable and doesn't detract from the movie experience. I have LED dynamic control set to Low.

I concur, black bars are really really black on this set of mne. (55W904A)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3059 of 4999 Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 AM

That looks really black.
Is the jacket of the woman in the picture black crush? Or is it normal to not have detail on that level of black.
post #3060 of 4999 Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniesant View Post

From your remote press SEN and click the Amazon Video apps and follow the steps or instruction provided to get your Bravia registration code. Im having a hardtime understanding that either until i call a Sony rep and show me the way..

Thanks this was helpful.

Ugh since I already tried using the promotional hulu/Netflix app thing it wont let me try again. Had to call Sony Support. They said I should receive the promo codes for Netflix and Hulu in my e-mail within two business days. I sure hope I get it, the guy kept using Larry as a phonetic for L.....unless he was saying Mary....ugh KnoemmAmex could be getting a free Netflix/Hulu subscription

This has got to be costing them a pretty penny in Support calls. All I read on the internet is complaints about how hard it is to claim your promo codes.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page