Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggleswitch View Post

Maybe I have been living in the stone ages lol. But up until here recently I never saw a direct view set that I thought came anywhere close to my A3000, until I saw this one. I will say though that 1599 for this set seems like a steal if all goes well.

What do you mean by "direct view set"? Meaning you have to sit directly in front of it for best picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

Are you referring to just this TV or all LCDs in general?

All LCDs colour shift and/or gamma shift when you view them from the side. This set however does have a more distinct pink hue in comparison to others. No matter though, the end result is the same with all LCDs, picture degradation at sharp viewing angles.
post #3063 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
Hi! Quick question! Can vertical banding develop, or get worse over time? Or is it only my imagination? Also I already have one dead pixel is there a chance more will follow? Thanks!
post #3064 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharinghan View Post

Hi! Quick question! Can vertical banding develop, or get worse over time? Or is it only my imagination? Also I already have one dead pixel is there a chance more will follow? Thanks!

Vertical banding normally only gets worse "in your head". You start to notice more things that you might not have noticed at first, but existed from the start. You become more sensitive to it at first, but more used to it over time. Banding is the nature of the backlight configuration and it is unique to each set kind of like a human fingerprint is to us.

Bands or lines of varying widths can develop over time, but as a process degradation of other electronics in the TV, not a change to the backlight distribution characteristics. So in that sense, no, the banding you are talking about stays the same through the life of the TV.

Dead or stuck pixels can increase in number over time, but it doesn't mean they will.
post #3065 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Does anyone have the certified calibration settings for the KDL55W900A? Thanks.

post #3066 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

What do you mean by "direct view set"? Meaning you have to sit directly in front of it for best picture?

Just meant not rear projection.
post #3067 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 14

all i have to say is wow this tv is crazy. I got it this morning 9:30am. I woke up around 11am to see this huge box in the living room. took about 20 mins to set up from unpacking and screwing the stand and back together. Connected hdmi cable to a samsung cable box flipped on CBS and price is right was on and holy cow did it look crazy good. I then did some more flipping of some HD channels like history and a bunch others all looked great my wife was shocked. I then watching some SD to HD up converting to see how that looked looked not that bad but u can see the diff.

After messing around a bit more with the tv before i had to go to work i asked my wife to watch her fav movie TWILIGHT i hate that crap its always on some channel and it dont matter what one it is u can bet it will be on one channel some where. so she went to showtime hd ondemand and started it up. I went to walk the dog i came back to a half naked man on the screen. I laughed and said this is what you fast forward to when im out. well a long story short she rewind a bit and the opening where they are running in the woods you can see the blacks are really black. I will be watching some bluray rips later tonight to see what i see. Over all the tv is great and worth each bitcoin :P

i will be testing alot more in the next few days

i did not even touch the settings on the tv and it looked that good

post #3068 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcommunity View Post

all i have to say is wow this tv is crazy. I got it this morning 9:30am. I woke up around 11am to see this huge box in the living room. took about 20 mins to set up from unpacking and screwing the stand and back together. Connected hdmi cable to a samsung cable box flipped on CBS and price is right was on and holy cow did it look crazy good. I then did some more flipping of some HD channels like history and a bunch others all looked great my wife was shocked. I then watching some SD to HD up converting to see how that looked looked not that bad but u can see the diff.
After messing around a bit more with the tv before i had to go to work i asked my wife to watch her fav movie TWILIGHT i hate that crap its always on some channel and it dont matter what one it is u can bet it will be on one channel some where. so she went to showtime hd ondemand and started it up. I went to walk the dog i came back to a half naked man on the screen. I laughed and said this is what you fast forward to when im out. well a long story short she rewind a bit and the opening where they are running in the woods you can see the blacks are really black. I will be watching some bluray rips later tonight to see what i see. Over all the tv is great and worth each bitcoin :P

i will be testing alot more in the next few days

i did not even touch the settings on the tv and it looked that good

A good start for sure! I never watch SD anymore. Be sure to at least turn off all the ECO stuff. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow after a two day cold weather delay.
post #3069 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Got mine delivered on Monday and up on the wall today. Happy to report no issues with the screen. Just did some quick tests of different sources and everything looks great. But, in that short time, I'm not seeing much of a difference coming from a six year old 46" XBR4. I still love that TV! Granted I still have to calibrate all of the settings, but was hoping for a little more pop off the bat. Still enthusiastic though.
Will report back soon after some thorough testing.
post #3070 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11

Hi guys

Can you please help me with what are the things that I need to check/test for once I get my TV tomorrow?

I don't really know anything about TVs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

post #3071 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmp12 View Post

Hi guys
Can you please help me with what are the things that I need to check/test for once I get my TV tomorrow?
I don't really know anything about TVs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Have you read the thread? You will find out pretty quickly what problems are common. You want to look for things like banding, clouding, flashlighting, dead/stuck pixels, white screen colour (temperature) uniformity.
post #3072 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Well I exchanged for my new set. Will know tomorrow if I put my problems behind me. Man, every time I'm in the store and I walk past the Sammy 60F5500 plasma (I know it's only a average rated plasma) I wish I could have bought it. Just don't trust plasma's reliability and the fact the tech is being abandoned with no guarantee of repair support (parts) in the future.
post #3073 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Well I exchanged for my new set. Will know tomorrow if I put my problems behind me. Man, every time I'm in the store and I walk past the Sammy 60F5500 plasma (I know it's only a average rated plasma) I wish I could have bought it. Just don't trust plasma's reliability and the fact the tech is being abandoned with no guarantee of repair support (parts) in the future.

I have had the 64F5500 and it was very nice. Obviously better picture quality than the w900a, but its a plasma. I would stay away from the 60F5500 though, it uses a pentile pixel matrix.
post #3074 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabluefish View Post

Got mine delivered on Monday and up on the wall today. Happy to report no issues with the screen. Just did some quick tests of different sources and everything looks great. But, in that short time, I'm not seeing much of a difference coming from a six year old 46" XBR4. I still love that TV! Granted I still have to calibrate all of the settings, but was hoping for a little more pop off the bat. Still enthusiastic though.
Will report back soon after some thorough testing.

I also replaced an XBR4 with this TV.
The bad: my XBR4 was having significant problems and I went through Sony Replacement service. The XBR4 seemed a little sharper, though it could be due to the smaller size.

The good: the 55W900 is AWESOME for movies!
post #3075 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

My 900A which I'm about to take back (for another issue) has no noticeable clouding or flashlighting. Do you have dynamic LED turned on to at least "low"? Do you see the clouding during letterbox movies? If not, I'm not sure why you are worried about it. Very few LED sets of any brand will have no clouding of some degree.

I see the clouding on movies with really dark scenes, loading screens, etc.  For the money I think it is not acceptable.  Set number four is on the way. 

post #3076 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Runner View Post

I see the clouding on movies with really dark scenes, loading screens, etc.  For the money I think it is not acceptable.  Set number four is on the way. 

Where are you exchanging them at? Be careful because places like bestbuy will screw you over by blocking you from returning/exchanging. The system is flawed because exchanges count as returns. Amazon also has had a history of banning people suddenly.
post #3077 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Oh man, if the second set looked the same then its not the tv, its you sorry to say. Majority of HDTV LED have this inherit trait, you are most likely looking for something. If more people keep returning sets im afraid retailers will start charging restocking fees which will force consumers to deal with the manufacturer.
I would stick with the Sony W900A, not a better LED HD out there with the exception of their XBR 4Ks. There are plasmas but I dont like their viewing in well lit areas. Take care.
post #3078 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Where are you exchanging them at? Be careful because places like bestbuy will screw you over by blocking you from returning/exchanging. The system is flawed because exchanges count as returns. Amazon also has had a history of banning people suddenly.

Amazon.  I certainly hope they would warn me first.  I buy a lot of stuff (and I mean a lot) from them and extremely rarely return anything.  I paid $1999 (minus the 6% rewards) in December and I just can't justify settling until I get a unit I feel has minimal undesirable imperfections.  Truthfully, I should have kept the second set.  It had some clouding, but nothing like the one I just got and it had the best picture of them all.  The first set had a pretty noticeable horizontal band in the upper 1/4 of the screen.  

post #3079 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM

How much better is the 900a over the 802a? I need a good set for gaming, then blu-rays and TV. The 802a is just within my budget and my old 42" Vizio is dying. Thanks!
post #3080 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Iron Man 3. Sony 55w900a
post #3081 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miromero82 View Post

Iron Man 3. Sony 55w900a

Do you mind sharing your calibration settings?

post #3082 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Iron Man 3. Sony 55w900a

Wow, I'm viewing the picture on a tablet and it looks amazing. Is that with stock settings?
post #3083 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Amazon.  I certainly hope they would warn me first.  I buy a lot of stuff (and I mean a lot) from them and extremely rarely return anything.  I paid $1999 (minus the 6% rewards) in December and I just can't justify settling until I get a unit I feel has minimal undesirable imperfections.  Truthfully, I should have kept the second set.  It had some clouding, but nothing like the one I just got and it had the best picture of them all.  The first set had a pretty noticeable horizontal band in the upper 1/4 of the screen.  

They won't warn you first I'm pretty sure. You can rake up tons of sales and still get flagged, I googled that last year and read people's experiences. Best Buy will warn you if you get a cool CS rep. I exchanged 3 iPads awhile back for multiple dead pixels, and yeah they count as returns, which sucks. I asked the woman helping me and she said the system will display a message that the person is banned from returns for 90 days, but you can still purchase. Three exchanges didn't trigger the system for me, didn't want to see what 4 would do even though it too has 2 dead pixels that are barely noticeable. mad.gif

But really, I have yet to see a perfect LED with no clouding. I'd doubt you will see any difference in more exchanges. I feel your pain, a year ago I exchanged 4 tv's at a local family owned store by me and got banned. The 2 plasmas I got all buzzed loudly, their techs confirmed it to be abnormal, and the 2 LEDs had really bad vertical banding and DSE. I felt I was 100% in the right and they can eff off. Like I said before, be happy if you have perfect pixels, minimal to no vertical banding and DSE, and fairly uniform screen with no weird blotches or odd areas. Be careful with your exchanges and good luck whatever you decide to do.
post #3084 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

They won't warn you first I'm pretty sure. You can rake up tons of sales and still get flagged, I googled that last year and read people's experiences. Best Buy will warn you if you get a cool CS rep. I exchanged 3 iPads awhile back for multiple dead pixels, and yeah they count as returns, which sucks. I asked the woman helping me and she said the system will display a message that the person is banned from returns for 90 days, but you can still purchase. Three exchanges didn't trigger the system for me, didn't want to see what 4 would do even though it too has 2 dead pixels that are barely noticeable. mad.gif

But really, I have yet to see a perfect LED with no clouding. I'd doubt you will see any difference in more exchanges. I feel your pain, a year ago I exchanged 4 tv's at a local family owned store by me and got banned. The 2 plasmas I got all buzzed loudly, their techs confirmed it to be abnormal, and the 2 LEDs had really bad vertical banding and DSE. I felt I was 100% in the right and they can eff off. Like I said before, be happy if you have perfect pixels, minimal to no vertical banding and DSE, and fairly uniform screen with no weird blotches or odd areas. Be careful with your exchanges and good luck whatever you decide to do.

Yea I have had a bad experience with bestbuy. They should punish people who are abusing the system (ie. buying a tv then returning it after the Super Bowl). I exchanged a tv multiple times (the same tv mind you, all with defects) and the manager told me I was not allowed to return any more tv's. With a policy like that, bestbuy can forget my business. A retailer needs to stand behind every product they sell, and if a certain product is being returned a lot, it is their responsibility to take it up with the manufacturer, not the consumer.
post #3085 of 4871 Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Scene select - General
Picture mode - Standard

Backlight - 8
Picture - 97
Brightness - 47
Color - 60
Hue - 0
Color temp - warm 2
Sharpness - 50
Nr - off
MPEG Nr - off
Dot Nr - off
Reality creation - manual
Video area detection - off
Resolution - 50
Noise filtering - 50
Smooth gradation - off
Motion flow - clear plus
Cinemotion - auto

Advanced settings
Black corrector - low
Adv contrast enhancer - low
Gamma - -2
Led dynamic control - standard
Auto light limiter - off
Clear white - off
Live color - low

White balance
+1

Detail enhancer - low
Edge enhancer - low
Skin naturalizer - on

Eco - off
post #3086 of 4871 Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave View Post

How much better is the 900a over the 802a? I need a good set for gaming, then blu-rays and TV. The 802a is just within my budget and my old 42" Vizio is dying. Thanks!

If the 802 a is within your budget than it is a much better set than the 900a.

JohnG
post #3087 of 4871 Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:

Iron Man 3. Sony 55w900a

The colors are perfect, which is also one of the strongest features of the W905.
No problems with pillars left and right in the screen? I cannot see them in the picture.
post #3088 of 4871 Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Hindsight is always 20 20. Don't beat yourself up about it.

I'm just amazed that there are that many people here on AVS that keep buying them.

It sounds like a phenomenal set if you can get a good one but getting a good one sounds like trying to win the lottery.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3089 of 4871 Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

If the 802 a is within your budget than it is a much better set than the 900a.

I think you flipped the two.  The 900a is more expensive than the 802a and seems to have more critical acclaim as well.

mule65 likes this.
post #3090 of 4871 Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiseguy85 View Post

I think you flipped the two.  The 900a is more expensive than the 802a and seems to have more critical acclaim as well.

The original poster stated the 802a was "just within his budget" The 900a is more expensive as you indicated so the OP should get what he can offord

JohnG
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page