Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyvubbr View Post

my tv have dead pixel on the upper left and amazon offer 10% for this. I wonder should I replace or keep it.  

If you see the pixel all of the time, I'd try a new set. -I have one dead pixel but it is about one/two inches away from the bottom/right side of the screen. I really don't notice it much. But when I do it irritates me. So you have to decide for yourself. For me, there's just not allot going on down in the corner of the lower screen and so isn't a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

It's a solidly built stand, but the way the TV rocks back and forth on a rather small contact point makes you wonder how much stress is being placed on the panel by having all the weight supported by that one point. One reason I like the wall mount is that I find it supports the TV better and more evenly across the panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

The stand on the w900a is actually one of the sturdiest stands ever on a tv. It will not break from normal use.

I haven't noticed that my TV "rocks" like mentioned above. It actually appears to be quite solid. I'm more irritated that it is very easy to bump and have it shift a little fore or aft and have to get my tape measure out to get it back right.

If your TV doesn't seem stable on its' stand, I'd get another person or two and make sure that it is securely mounted. Nothing like a little peace of mind.
post #3153 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I am shopping for a new entertainment center. The ones my wife wants to get will place the set anywhere between 5-10 inches above dead on center eye level. Do I have to worry about this degrading the picture at all? This is my first direct view panel. Coming from an LCD rptv. Which I made sure was dead on eye level do to the nature of rptvs.
post #3154 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post

Got my tv in from Amazon. It was a day late - so Amazon knocked off $70, net price to $1529 shipped.

It arrives, I unpack and find a small 1" dent on back, not done in shipping as box was pristine. Amazon offered another 15% off, - $240. So keep the tv for net cost of $1290, or have Amazon replace?

I'm planning to run the tv thru its paces this weekend. If all is good, I think keep it with the ding on the back.

Munchdog I viewed your photo and my TV has the EXACT same dent in almost the same place. My manufacture date is November 2013, if that is even a factor. I agree that you should keep the TV if your screen is perfect. I am keeping mine because my screen is as close to perfect as I've seen for an LED. I'd much rather have a small dent like this in the back where I will never see it + it has no impact whatsoever on the picture, than exchange it and get a perfect backside and flawed screen.
post #3155 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

Munchdog I viewed your photo and my TV has the EXACT same dent in almost the same place. My manufacture date is November 2013, if that is even a factor. I agree that you should keep the TV if your screen is perfect. I am keeping mine because my screen is as close to perfect as I've seen for an LED. I'd much rather have a small dent like this in the back where I will never see it + it has no impact whatsoever on the picture, than exchange it and get a perfect backside and flawed screen.

Hi guy.

How to check manufacture date on this tv?

Thanks
post #3156 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyvubbr View Post

Hi guy.

How to check manufacture date on this tv?

Thanks

would also like to know

post #3157 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
I believe my date was printed on the back of the TV lower left side. It was early morning for me but I think that's where it is.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
post #3158 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 14

i see :) OCT 2013

its on the right side of the tv when you are facing the screen. white sticker on the bottom its imprinted with a stamp it looks like

huyvubbr likes this.
post #3159 of 5003 Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcommunity View Post

i see :) OCT 2013

its on the right side of the tv when you are facing the screen. white sticker on the bottom its imprinted with a stamp it looks like

My bad, I should have said I was standing behind it.

huyvubbr likes this.
post #3160 of 5003 Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post

My bad, I should have said I was standing behind it.

I saw it November 2013. Thanks man

post #3161 of 5003 Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM

When using PS4, why does the game mode look much sharper and clearer than using general or cinema?
post #3162 of 5003 Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Still waiting to unbox my w900 but cinema settings generally have a warmer color pallet. The factory cinema settings also tend to run a lower sharpness setting among a few other things.
post #3163 of 5003 Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Asked this earlier but is there another TV out there with <30 ms input lag but better picture quality?
post #3164 of 5003 Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

When using PS4, why does the game mode look much sharper and clearer than using general or cinema?
Hiya,
Because every mode is slightly different even though you e.g. use the same picture settings for different modes. There are even differences between Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 if you use the same picture settings.
best, d.
post #3165 of 5003 Old 02-02-2014, 02:43 AM

Yeah, noticed that now that even if you get the same settings across scene modes you get a different picture. I see why people are using the Cinema scene mode. It's best for Blu-ray movies, General/Sports scene mode looks best for cable TV, and then game/graphics scene mode for gaming. But I don't understand why there has to be different scene modes. Red is red, blue is blue etc...
post #3166 of 5003 Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremal View Post

I decided to order the Disney WOW Blu-ray. After it arrived I was too lazy to play with it. I finally got off of my duff this morning and went through the calibration, first on basic and then advanced. I have to say, the settings I had were pretty close to optimal. I made just a few minor adjustments which I'll paste in below for anyone who is interested. I plan to run through it on the Normal Scene as well and do some comparisons. So far though, I think I've got it pretty dialed in.

Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode Cinema 1

Backlight 8

Picture 95

Brightness 51
Color 53

Hue 0

Color Temperature Nuetral
Sharpness 55
Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Reality Creation Off 

Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]

Resolution Min [greyed out]

Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]

Smooth Gradation Off

Motionflow Off (True Cinema for BDs)

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu

Black Corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium

Gamma -1
LED Dynamic Control Standard

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance [see below]

Detail Enhancer mediumf

Edge Enhancer medium

Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]

Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu

R-Gain 0

G-Gain -3

B-Gain -6

R-Bias 0

G-Bias 0

B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu

Power Saving: Off

Scene Select Sync Off

I'm going to try these. Question for you: what was your viewing distance, and roughly what was the lighting situation n the room when you arrived at these settings?
post #3167 of 5003 Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM

My viewing distance is about 9 feet. The room is in a Basement with a large window to the left. It was early morning so the sun was on the other side of the house. I kept an overhead can light on but dimmed so it was probably an evening setting light wise.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-2113ci | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 320G Slim PS3 | Woefully poor Comcast HD DVR
post #3168 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone prompted for a software update? Mine's just did.

I don't know where to search to see what version I'm on now.
post #3169 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

Yeah, noticed that now that even if you get the same settings across scene modes you get a different picture. I see why people are using the Cinema scene mode. It's best for Blu-ray movies, General/Sports scene mode looks best for cable TV, and then game/graphics scene mode for gaming. But I don't understand why there has to be different scene modes. Red is red, blue is blue etc...

I am interested in knowing why this is as well. Game mode seems to be working best for me. I try the Cinema Mode settings but things just look a bit too dark and turning up brightness just makes it look washed out.

post #3170 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoellAlex View Post

I am interested in knowing why this is as well. Game mode seems to be working best for me. I try the Cinema Mode settings but things just look a bit too dark and turning up brightness just makes it look washed out.

You have to be careful turning up the brightness setting past 50 because it will hurt your blacks quite a bit. If brightness on 50 isn't bright enough, then I adjust other settings as needed such as gamma and backlight.
post #3171 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM

I just got my w900a from Warehouse Deals on Saturday - item itself was in prestine condition, only thing that wasn't in perfect condition was the packaging.

The TV worked beautifully for the Superbowl yesterday. Gorgeous, clear picture. Only problem though was that the screen simply didn't get as bright as I expected that it could get, so when the sun was shining in the picture was a little difficult to see. The backlight was turned all the way up and I'm not sure what else I can do to change it.

When I got the TV, it was configured to the showroom setting so everything was way too bright. I reset it to factory settings and chose the home setting, which made it much more reasonable, but I can't find a happy medium between where it is now and the super-bright showroom settings.

Since I got it from Warehouse Deals, and it was preconfigured to showroom settings, maybe it was actually used in a store somewhere at that super-bright setting for a long time. Could that have hurt its long-term general brightness, making the backlight less effective? Or would that not happen with this TV? 

post #3172 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn8rd View Post

I just got my w900a from Warehouse Deals on Saturday - item itself was in prestine condition, only thing that wasn't in perfect condition was the packaging.

The TV worked beautifully for the Superbowl yesterday. Gorgeous, clear picture. Only problem though was that the screen simply didn't get as bright as I expected that it could get, so when the sun was shining in the picture was a little difficult to see. The backlight was turned all the way up and I'm not sure what else I can do to change it.

When I got the TV, it was configured to the showroom setting so everything was way too bright. I reset it to factory settings and chose the home setting, which made it much more reasonable, but I can't find a happy medium between where it is now and the super-bright showroom settings.

Since I got it from Warehouse Deals, and it was preconfigured to showroom settings, maybe it was actually used in a store somewhere at that super-bright setting for a long time. Could that have hurt its long-term general brightness, making the backlight less effective? Or would that not happen with this TV? 

Turn the light sensor off in the eco settings.
mule65 likes this.
post #3173 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look. I thought I disabled all the features like that, but perhaps that's one that I missed.

post #3174 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule65 View Post

1st impressions: Wow, amazingly colorful and sharp picture!! biggrin.gif

I'm coming from a 42" 2006 Panasonic Pro Plasma and a rejected Samsung UN60F6400. This Sony is miles ahead of the mid-line Samsung. No dirty screen effect, great uniformity, no dithering, no banding and no bad pixels! Best of all it handles motion so well that it's not a distraction. The Islanders vs Rangers game was a good test and the $1600 W900A handled it very well with just basic calibration (prefer Warm1; white balance unchanged). No plasma regrets here. This thing looks really nice hanging on the wall.

I've since found that turning OFF most processing makes the smoothest/best picture! None of it is needed. So, just a few changes from post #636 settings:

1. Home > Settings > Picture & Display

Screen:
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
Auto Display Area - Off
Display Area - Full Pixel

2. Home > Settings > Preferences

Scene Select - Cinema
Eco - Everything Off
Startup Logo - Off
Front Panel Illimination - Off

3.Options > Picture Adjustments

Picture Mode - Cinema 1
Backlight - 5
Picture - Max (brighter whites)
Brightness - 45 (darker blacks)
Color - 57
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 1
Sharpness - 60
Motionflow - Off

Everything else is set to Off

Advanced Settings:
Gamma: +1 (better dark detail)
LED Dynamic Control - Standard
White Balance: Unchanged

Everything else is set to Off
post #3175 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear, when you talk about the sun do you mean you let the sun shine on the display when you were trying to watch it, or are you talking about the sun shining in a program?

As far as whether the TV was used as a demo, it should have been pretty easy to tell when you opened the box if the TV had been re-packaged and not factory fresh.
post #3176 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear, when you talk about the sun do you mean you let the sun shine on the display when you were trying to watch it, or are you talking about the sun shining in a program?

As far as whether the TV was used as a demo, it should have been pretty easy to tell when you opened the box if the TV had been re-packaged and not factory fresh.

Sorry, I meant if the room the TV in is bright, with maybe a sliver of sun shining on the display.

It was a used TV from Amazon Warehouse Deals so it was probably used previously, but it was repackaged very well.

post #3177 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:

It was a used TV from Amazon Warehouse Deals so it was probably used previously, but it was repackaged very well.

I see. I'm not sure if there is a way to check the number of hours that is on the backlight with this TV. Even if there was you wouldn't know how bright it was during those hours.
post #3178 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:

I see. I'm not sure if there is a way to check the number of hours that is on the backlight with this TV. Even if there was you wouldn't know how bright it was during those hours.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3179 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked: 48
I bought an open box from BB a few weeks ago. I spoke to Sony tech service on two different occasions, and each time they told me there is not a way for the customer to check the service hours on the w900a, and they didn't know if anyone other than Sony service techs could access it either.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3180 of 5003 Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

I bought an open box from BB a few weeks ago. I spoke to Sony tech service on two different occasions, and each time they told me there is not a way for the customer to check the service hours on the w900a, and they didn't know if anyone other than Sony service techs could access it either.

The service menu is very easy to access, however navigating it is another story.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page