Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 371Likes

post #3181 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Would you please tell me how to access the service menu and find the service hours? I exchanged the open box (which I was loving in comparison to my Sammy 7000) for a new one after I bought an additional w900a, put it beside the open box unit in my living room, and could see a significant difference between the two panels. After two hours setting all levels to the same performance on my WOW disk the black levels and contrast range were visibly better on the new one.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Liked: 12
Some time back there were posts about sony offering a free year of netflix and hulu plus with purchase of this tv? Is that still in effect? How does one go about claiming this if so--I didn't see anything about it with the paperwork.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #3183 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29

its an app on the SEN menu

post #3184 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post

Some time back there were posts about sony offering a free year of netflix and hulu plus with purchase of this tv? Is that still in effect? How does one go about claiming this if so--I didn't see anything about it with the paperwork.

Based on my memory, I'm pretty sure that the deal was over in later 2013.
post #3185 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM

Liked: 14

ok i have some great news :) I was able to get 1 year free netflix and 1 year hulu plus with the tv :) super sweet deal

i called up and had sony send me the code via email and they did no problem

now here is my next thing to share i do not know if this was posted before

the tv has a hidden menu that i found called IPTV SERVICE MODE

you can get to this menu when u are running any type of streaming like HULU and so on * i do not think it works in netflix but it might

press on the normal remote with the numbers not the little remote

"PREV,PREV,PLAY"

This then pops a on screen menu up called IPTV SERVICE MODE

under this menu you have a bunch of stuff like

model name/serial number

sw version:

video size :

audio freq :

bitrate :

video prebuffer size

blah blah

video codec type :

blah blah

avg download speed :

and so on

now on the bottom it has

SEND FROM PC TO TV : ON OR OFF

says to press : PREV , PREV , PREV to toggle the send to tv state

^^ what the hell is SEND TO TV ?????

anyone know what this is ? I found this menu the other day clicking buttons lol and wondered about it and then try and look it up on the web but came to nothing

well i guess i found what it is

https://internet.sony.tv/customer/template/Software.vm?lang=en&country=US

but seems it was beta of some sort and i guess does not work any more

any other hidden menus for this tv ?

post #3186 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM

So Is the Netflix and Hulu deal still going on? I checked after hearing About it a few days ago but everything I found said it ended on December 31st.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
post #3187 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Turn the light sensor off in the eco settings.

Just checking back to you on this - turns out I'd missed that setting after turning some other eco settings off. Thanks! Immediately got a brighter picture.

post #3188 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Would you please tell me how to access the service menu and find the service hours? I exchanged the open box (which I was loving in comparison to my Sammy 7000) for a new one after I bought an additional w900a, put it beside the open box unit in my living room, and could see a significant difference between the two panels. After two hours setting all levels to the same performance on my WOW disk the black levels and contrast range were visibly better on the new one.

So you had purchased two of these sets and the brand new one performed much better?

Whats sad is there are some people like myself who would never ever know the TV isn't performing to its potential. Makes a person wonder..

post #3189 of 5874 Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700 View Post

So you had purchased two of these sets and the brand new one performed much better?

Whats sad is there are some people like myself who would never ever know the TV isn't performing to its potential. Makes a person wonder..

I highly doubt there was any major difference. It was more than likely user error in set-up. Yes, there may be slight variances due to manufacturing variances, but nothing drastic. There will always be a golden sample though.
post #3190 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mule65 View Post

I've since found that turning OFF all processing makes the smoothest/best picture! None of it is needed. So, just a few changes from post #636 settings:

1. Home > Settings > Picture & Display

Screen:
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
Auto Display Area - Off
Display Area - Full Pixel

2. Home > Settings > Preferences

Scene Select - Cinema
Eco - Everything Off
Startup Logo - Off
Front Panel Illimination - Off

3.Options > Picture Adjustments

Picture Mode - Cinema 1
Backlight - 5
Picture - Max (brighter whites)
Brightness - 40 (darker blacks)
Color - 50-55
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 1
Sharpness - 55-60
Motionflow - Off

Everything else is set to Off

Advanced Settings:
Gamma: +1 or 2 (better dark detail)
LED Dynamic Control - Off
White Balance: Unchanged

Everything else is set to Off

Is this for any specific content such as Blu-rays or for anything?
post #3191 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post

So Is the Netflix and Hulu deal still going on? I checked after hearing About it a few days ago but everything I found said it ended on December 31st.

Interested in this too. I've been procrastinating.
post #3192 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Regarding the Netflix and Hulu promotions ... perhaps try contacting customer service?
post #3193 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

Is this for any specific content such as Blu-rays or for anything?

Used it on Blu-ray and Comcast HDTV with nice results. Watched T2 and Django Blu-rays and some fast action Transformers, Batman, Total Recall, Ironman 3, Superbowl, etc... on Comcast and have been pleased.

Did have to revert LED Dynamic Control back to Standard, however -- blacks suffer too much without it.
post #3194 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can anybody help me locate the registration code for Sony essentials website from the main remote?
post #3195 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM

I activated the Hulu+ offer 2 days ago. The stand alone offer app had disappeared (It was there a week ago), but I believe there was a "Learn More" link or something inside the Hulu app itself that gave me the code and URL I needed. I didn't try the Netflix one.
post #3196 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post

You had to purchase the TV prior to Dec 31st 2013 and you can claim the offer until April 2014. I am not entirely sure how your TV knows when it was purchased though ;)

Like other people have said though, register for Sony Essentials, and put that email  that you registered in the "free year" app, when you press sen on your remote.

post #3197 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelles View Post

I activated the Hulu+ offer 2 days ago. The stand alone offer app had disappeared (It was there a week ago), but I believe there was a "Learn More" link or something inside the Hulu app itself that gave me the code and URL I needed. I didn't try the Netflix one.

Bless you sir! =) The hulu one gave me the code under learn more, and I was able to call hulu and they plugged in the free year! Unfortunately when I go under Netflix it just offers me a one month free trial, which I think they do all the time for anyone =(. I may try calling them and see if I get anywhere...

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #3198 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM

update to my previous post--Netflix was super nice and said no problem, call this sony number and get them to give you the code, and we will be happy to plug it in for you. Based on my previous experience with Sony customer service I will admit I wasn't betting on my success there but kept an open mind and stayed positive for the call to Sony, unfortunately after going through the tedious Sony phone tree and being on forever with the nice gentleman from Pakistan or India I would guess by the accent for some time, they refused to give me said code and basically said sucks for you, but we will happily sell you an extended contract or sell your address to vendors, which is pretty much on par with any Sony customer service I have ever received in the past...

With Sony it has been my experience that you need to hope to be happy with the product and need to not expect to actually get any rebate or anything they offer, because you likely will not, so I suppose getting the Hulu part is really pretty shocking compared to rebates I never received in the past...

So, do the Hulu one fast! Oh, Hulu customer service was actually very pleasant and in this country too! Some others might want to learn from the Netflix and Hulu example *cough*Sony*cough*

post #3199 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just picked one of these bad boys up from Best Buy priced matched against JR.

Coming from Panny pro model.

Wish me luck!
post #3200 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Hello everyone!

First time posting although I've been going through the site for a bit now and really love the insight I get from all of your posts. Thank you!

I just purchased this Sony W900a but haven't been able to hook it up due to my busy work life. While working I was thinking about how to hook it up to my XboxOne.

Being that the XboxOne has cable integration, is there a way to get optimal cable tv settings along with optimal gaming settings all in one hdmi? I ask since if I'm in the middle of a game and say "xbox watch tv" the settings would still be in game mode being that the tv is connected straight to the back of the xbox.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm not exactly tech savy. If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
post #3201 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 PM

I assembled the TV Saturday night and the design of it matches perfectly with Z-Line Maxim Edition stand. During the initial setup I was excited from how sharp the letters were compared to my old TV. I was temporarily disappointed when seeing my first FIOS television broadcast which I incorrectly thought was HD. After finding the HD channels and changed some settings on the set top box I started to see a huge difference. Unfortunately during this time I found out the box is only capable of 1080i but it still had a great picture. I'm a computer gamer that has come to appreciate the ease of console gaming and plan to do lots of gaming on this set. My first time trying out my PlayStation's (with gaming mode) I was amazed with just the stock settings. I then started two days of trying different settings for movie viewing the sources being HD broadcast, The Immortals and The Incredible Hulk blu-rays. Some of the settings were good and some were not to my liking. I then realized that I'm used to overly bright settings and because of that decided to invest in the Disney WOW disc to help me set it up correctly, and a Tripp Lite surge protector (power in my area has been bad the last few days). When I originally started looking at TV 's my intention was to stay cheap around 600.00 and wait for the Vizio P series but so far I am totally happy with killing my budget.

As of today I can not see any defects on the screen. The ones that worried me the most were light bleed, dead pixels and DSE which was something new I learned about. I hate to jinx myself but I think I got lucky with my largest purchase from Amazon. To the people that already own the WOW disc, how long did it take you to run through the entire process?

post #3202 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 PM

what i did was called up and told them the tv was bought before the 12/31/13 date.

I did go to the SEN app that said NETFLIX / HULU promo and i added my email. it said it would come to email within 24 hours this never happended.

I called sony and told them the story over and they pushed the call to a higher person. 24 to 48 hours again this is BIZ HOURS so if you called on a thursday to get the code pushed to your email it would arrive monday.

They do not know when you bought the tv and no way for them to find out.

If you tv says made before DEC 2013 then how the hell can they say anything :)

took me about 3 phone calls to get the code but it was worth it :) only about 20 mins out of my life for $200 worth of stuff

- This was great because my wife has no clue on how to use the rasberry pi and teaching that to her is another thing.

clicking a button a remote called NETFLIX is the best thing for a women :P LOL

- If i was able to teach my wife like one of my old GF newsgroups / torrents / steaming and other stuff then you know for sure i would not care about the promo. but this is a big thumbs up.

- I have one thing to note about this TV. I have a xbox one and if you plan on placing the kinect on top of the tv a kinect mount will not work out. I got one from E2M PEPSI promo and its seems like it will more or less break the tv. I do not plan on using the kinect but if i do then its going on my tv stand next to the box it self.

also got a N1 sound bar from the promo and can not wait to hook it up to this tv and see whats up :)

post #3203 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welp, massive amount of dead pixels. Ugh! Back to Best Buy. Hope they don't hassle me for a return/exchange because of price match.
post #3204 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

Welp, massive amount of dead pixels. Ugh! Back to Best Buy. Hope they don't hassle me for a return/exchange because of price match.

Damn man, sorry to hear..I haven't even been able to take mine out of the box yet. Hoping I'm all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3205 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

Do you have a pic by chance? Im thinking about taking a trip to Best Buy hopefully sometime soon and either picking up a Vizio M or this exact TV.. $600-700 difference but if this TV is truly the best '13 LED HDTV its worth it to me..

post #3206 of 5874 Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 PM

i have to say after playing with the tv since i got it its 100% great 2013 LED

its worth each penny / bitcoin / litecoin you can use to buy it :)

this tv really cost me $0 in the long run :)

post #3207 of 5874 Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skezo718 View Post

Being that the XboxOne has cable integration, is there a way to get optimal cable tv settings along with optimal gaming settings all in one hdmi? I ask since if I'm in the middle of a game and say "xbox watch tv" the settings would still be in game mode being that the tv is connected straight to the back of the xbox.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm not exactly tech savy. If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

As far as I know you can only have one setting per HDMI port. I use the same settings for all HDMI ports and I don't notice any lag.
post #3208 of 5874 Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Got prompted for an update today. Went to Sonys site I think at some point we might have received the HDMI 2.0 update but it looks like it won't effect our TV.

Also those of you who recently purchased the W9 asked about game mode. Game mode used 4:4:4 color mapping so I believe that is why you are seeing a cleaner / clearer picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3209 of 5874 Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcommunity View Post

what i did was called up and told them the tv was bought before the 12/31/13 date.
I did go to the SEN app that said NETFLIX / HULU promo and i added my email. it said it would come to email within 24 hours this never happended.
I called sony and told them the story over and they pushed the call to a higher person. 24 to 48 hours again this is BIZ HOURS so if you called on a thursday to get the code pushed to your email it would arrive monday.

They do not know when you bought the tv and no way for them to find out.
If you tv says made before DEC 2013 then how the hell can they say anything smile.gif

took me about 3 phone calls to get the code but it was worth it smile.gif only about 20 mins out of my life for $200 worth of stuff

- This was great because my wife has no clue on how to use the rasberry pi and teaching that to her is another thing.
 clicking a button a remote called NETFLIX is the best thing for a women :P LOL
- If i was able to teach my wife like one of my old GF newsgroups / torrents / steaming and other stuff then you know for sure i would not care about the promo. but this is a big thumbs up.

- I have one thing to note about this TV. I have a xbox one and if you plan on placing the kinect on top of the tv a kinect mount will not work out. I got one from E2M PEPSI promo and its seems like it will more or less break the tv. I do not plan on using the kinect but if i do then its going on my tv stand next to the box it self.
also got a N1 sound bar from the promo and can not wait to hook it up to this tv and see whats up smile.gif

Well this is worrying. I was planning on picking up a PDP kinect mount soon. is the frame of this TV just too small? frown.gif
post #3210 of 5874 Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM

correct the frame is just to small. like i said you can do it but it seems just like a risk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page