Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello..I am a newbie here and I want to thank you for sharing these settings. I bought the TV last week from Amazon and was on the verge of sending it back. I tried the CNet settings and they were not at all to my liking.

I am still having a weird issue though which may or may not be normal.When in the settings menu the highlighted box dims and brightens...almost pulsates. So far Sony CS has been fairly worthless. But at least they do answer the phone.

Thanks again.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by downriver5 View Post

Hello..I am a newbie here and I want to thank you for sharing these settings. I bought the TV last week from Amazon and was on the verge of sending it back. I tried the CNet settings and they were not at all to my liking.

I am still having a weird issue though which may or may not be normal.When in the settings menu the highlighted box dims and brightens...almost pulsates. So far Sony CS has been fairly worthless. Buy at least they do answer the phone.

Thanks again.....

That is normal and part of the graphical interface of this TV. It is supposed to be cool. smile.gif
donottosmeok and downriver5 like this.
post #3243 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks. I have been unable to get an answer from Sony on that..they even had me reboot it. The settings I've found here have made a world of difference, Seems the first rule is....turn that eco thing OFF

post #3244 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

It is sounding like maybe you prefer the brigher more vivid picture that many people prefer as opposed to the more accurate color and brightness that purists tend to prefer, which is also why the stores crank every setting up to max.

I would guess that I am more of an audio or videophile than many a user, but was giving a review from an Average Joe standpoint, which someone asked for. I am familiar with the look that many "purists" are going for, but I don't go to the extent of blacking out my windows like I'm preparing for the war and don't want a set that appears washed out or soft and, while I still prefer a manual transmission on my sports cars, am way past the point where I want to spend hours calibrating a tv if I don't have to. I think you will find that a LARGE percentage of your average joe is going to look at this tv out of the box and see it as dark and soft in pq. It is not extremely accurate out of the box if you have to go in and hunt around to turn off light sensors and check for overscan settings and such-how many purchasers of tv's these days are looking for an eco mode light sensor? It should default to off and have a note saying if you are a gadget junky or tree hugger here it is. I am hopeful I will find a balance of settings to get it where I want it and looking good in average lighting conditions, but out of the box it reminded me of my past Sharp's, which tended to end up lighter than I liked in order to get the shadow details I wanted, as opposed to my last Sony sets which did not exhibit that tendency. We shall see. I had loaned out my calibration disk some time ago and not had it returned, so will be waiting for new ones to arrive to see how it calibrates. It is not unwatchable out of the box, but it definitely needs work. On the one hand it goes for a price that I paid for a 40 inch back in the day, but on the other hand even at it's current price is two to three times what one could get a name brand set for in that size these days, so one expects big things from it.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #3245 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post

I would guess that I am more of an audio or videophile than many a user, but was giving a review from an Average Joe standpoint, which someone asked for. I am familiar with the look that many "purists" are going for, but I don't go to the extent of blacking out my windows like I'm preparing for the war and don't want a set that appears washed out or soft and, while I still prefer a manual transmission on my sports cars, am way past the point where I want to spend hours calibrating a tv if I don't have to. I think you will find that a LARGE percentage of your average joe is going to look at this tv out of the box and see it as dark and soft in pq. It is not extremely accurate out of the box if you have to go in and hunt around to turn off light sensors and check for overscan settings and such-how many purchasers of tv's these days are looking for an eco mode light sensor? It should default to off and have a note saying if you are a gadget junky or tree hugger here it is. I am hopeful I will find a balance of settings to get it where I want it and looking good in average lighting conditions, but out of the box it reminded me of my past Sharp's, which tended to end up lighter than I liked in order to get the shadow details I wanted, as opposed to my last Sony sets which did not exhibit that tendency. We shall see. I had loaned out my calibration disk some time ago and not had it returned, so will be waiting for new ones to arrive to see how it calibrates. It is not unwatchable out of the box, but it definitely needs work. On the one hand it goes for a price that I paid for a 40 inch back in the day, but on the other hand even at it's current price is two to three times what one could get a name brand set for in that size these days, so one expects big things from it.

Well get the disk and give it a shot. If it doesn't deliver I guess you'll have to try a different TV. It shouldn't take very long to get a picture with this TV that is pleasing to most people. That is what most owners in this thread have found. No hoops to jump through or special controlled room lighting required.
post #3246 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
I have tried locating my registration code for this Netflix deal to no avail. All instructions I see say:

" Please make sure your BRAVIA internet enabled TV is connected to your network, powered on and active.
Press the Home button on your remote control and navigate to the Network icon on the Xross Media Bar.
Scroll to Activate Enhanced Features and select by pressing enter.
Locate the Registration Code for your BRAVIA TV."

The only "Network" icon I see is under the settings area, and that menu does not include "Activate Enhanced Features"
post #3247 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Sony has to send you the code, which for me at least they would not do, it didn't seem to matter if you purchased your tv before the end of '13 or not, if it didn't show in your apps no go. For Hulu it still worked as of a day or two ago--push the "SEN" button (I am recalling it as blue? I'm not at home), then click the Hulu icon, and under "learn more" you can get the code, then I had to call Hulu with the code to get it activated. The Neflix icon no longer had a way to get the code on my set, and though netflix said they would happy to apply it if I could get one from Sony, the Sony rep refused to supply one.

Both Netflix and Hulu were very pleasant to deal with, btw, and you quickly got a human in this country, this in stark contrast to Sony...

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #3248 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

It is not unwatchable out of the box, but it definitely needs work.

I agree. I had to deal with the settings for 2 weeks that I finally found proper for my HTPC and movie watching. One little setting can have big influence on another. I remember I did not deal with LG plasma that much to achieve optimal settings. But anyway I would not turn back to my old plasma as with Sony KDL-55W905A I managed to achieve superb picture in terms of colors reproductions, achive balance between sharpness and smothness, shadows, grays and black. I enjoy it for more than a month now. In reality picture on Sony is even much, much better and more natural than on those picture samples provided here. There is more pop in colors and grayscale offers better transition to its pitch black.

best, d.

post #3249 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM

How far do you guys sit from this set for cable and Blu-ray content respectively?
post #3250 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Display lag for gaming or PC use would be the primary concern.
Quote:

when people say the new update affects input lag, are they talking in gaming or in general? I hate the fact that you always have to be hesitant to do an update in case it bricks your set or introduces something unpleasant.
post #3251 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahive View Post

i just retested my 55w905 with the leo bodnar device and still get 19-20ms in game mode, firmware is PKG4.101EUA.

Thanks but aren't we on firmware PKG4.200 now?
post #3252 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahive View Post

what update version number?
did you test it yourself(leo bodnar lag tester,...)?

That's Goldpunch's first post ever. I would take that comment with a bucket of salt.
post #3253 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM

I haven't played any game where where lag would be an issue since updating, but if the increase lag is found to be true is there a way to revert the software? I just Googled and found nothing. The fast response time was a huge factor for me in choosing this display.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
post #3254 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post

I haven't played any game where where lag would be an issue since updating, but if the increase lag is found to be true is there a way to revert the software? I just Googled and found nothing. The fast response time was a huge factor for me in choosing this display.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Firmware does not change input lag, it does not suddenly make the picture look better or worse, or anything of that nature! Smart tv's have firmware updates to fix apps and things of that nature. Thats it.
TechoGeek likes this.
post #3255 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:

That is normal and part of the graphical interface of this TV. It is supposed to be cool. smile.gif

Hi Porkpie

I heard about this tv having deep black and good uniform but...

I am having a weird thing with my TV. When the menu option or home display on the tv. There are some blacklight bleeding on the edge of the screen. When I am watching the movie, it bothers me a little. So I wonder my tv have some blacklight bleeding problems or
That is normal for this tv?

Thanks
post #3256 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyvubbr View Post

Hi Porkpie

I am having a weird thing with my TV. When the menu option or home display on the tv. There are some blacklight bleeding on the edge of the screen. When I am watching the movie, it bothers me a little. So I wonder my tv have some blacklight bleeding problems or

Thanks

This is not just a problem with this tv, this a problem with LCD technology, some have it worst than others.
huyvubbr likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3257 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't find this "learn more" after clicking the hulu app. I got the email and it mentions the "learn more" but I do not see this.
post #3258 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For Hulu it keeps directing me to sign up and then asking for credit card information.
post #3259 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I call BS on a firmware update adding input lag. Sony is well aware that one of the reasons this TV is desirable is because of the low input lag. If you visit their online shop, they even mention that the "W" series is best for gamers.
post #3260 of 5099 Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone give their feedback on this TV when used as a computer monitor? How do you find the text clarity and how far back are you seated?
post #3261 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by artreas View Post

Thanks but aren't we on firmware PKG4.200 now?

i have autoupdate enabled and pkg4.101 is the last one i got. might be time to manually check...
post #3262 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinimod View Post

Can someone give their feedback on this TV when used as a computer monitor? How do you find the text clarity and how far back are you seated?

I sit 3.2m which is roughly 10.5ft away from the TV set and using with HTPC. For calibration I recommend you to use Lagom LCD tool for monitor calibration. Click. You can set contrast, black, white level, sharpness and all other settings. In terms of clearity you just need to adjust how big your letters should look like and that you select in accordance how good your eyesight is. If I comapare it with my previous LG plasma this LCD does its job much better as a monitor.

best, d.
post #3263 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Hi Porkpie

Thanks

Hi there,

What are your settings for this TV? Do you have LED DYNAMIC CONTROL on Low or on Standard? What are your Backlight, Contrast, Brightness settings? Which Scene and picture mode do you operate your TV?
Best, d.
huyvubbr likes this.
post #3264 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Hi Porkpie

Thanks

As mentioned above, do you have Dynamic LED turned on? Also, brightness setting should be no higher than 50. I would expect some of this with the first pic where there is no source, but it should not be noticeable with a source and the above settings.
huyvubbr likes this.
post #3265 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:

How far do you guys sit from this set for cable and Blu-ray content respectively?

I have a pretty good sized livingroom, so if I sit across the room which would be common I am probably a good 15' from the screen. A lot of people would say I should have a bigger set I am sure, but I have always tended to go more for picture quality than size for the money. (I noticed a 70" Vizio was about $100 less than these sets)

I am getting closer and even without the disks have settings that look decent for most inputs. I keep tinkering and will see what the calibration disks come up with as well probably.

post #3266 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 AM

Hiya,
My experience is that setting Brightness is in total correlation with the source you are using. For example I need to turn on brigtness for HTPC where Sapphire AMD HD5750 graphic card is installed to 65 to be able to see all the gradation of black. For regular cable TV I have it set to 48. I think there is no universal recipe but to find it in total dependency with the source. As source I mean regular TV programe watching, BluRay player, DVD, Xbox, HTPC, etc. I would say that every single electronic appliance or different graphic cards will need different settings for brightness, contrast, color, white balance etc.

best, d.
post #3267 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

I can't find this "learn more" after clicking the hulu app. I got the email and it mentions the "learn more" but I do not see this.

hmm, maybe they have removed the ability to sign up too as Netflix apparently did (I am guessing at Sony's urging from the sound of discussions I had with all of them the other day).

When I signed up if you clicked on the Hulu icon four icons came up under that, and I think the second from the left was "learn more". If it no longer comes up like that then they probably purposely removed them. I tried explaining to the Sony rep that even though the promotion ended on the first of the year you were supposed to have until April to sign up but he didn't seem to care about that, he actually said something like well it may have said that but it's February and anyone who wanted to take advantage of the offer should have signed up by now or it's their own fault if they get nothing. Some people don't seem to get that real lives can be pretty busy and one doesn't always get to things right away. Hell, I live an hr from the closest Best Buy and between that and the winter it has been for storms it's damned easy to not find a weekend day to try to go pick something up. yes I could have opted to have it delivered (though even deliveries have been slow with the storms) but I generally like to see a set in person if possible before picking it up--on other occasions I have ordered one set and walked out with something else when I went to pick it up.

post #3268 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

Hi there,

What are your settings for this TV? Do you have LED DYNAMIC CONTROL on Low or on Standard? What are your Backlight, Contrast, Brightness settings? Which Scene and picture mode do you operate your TV?
Best, d.

Quote:

As mentioned above, do you have Dynamic LED turned on? Also, brightness setting should be no higher than 50. I would expect some of this with the first pic where there is no source, but it should not be noticeable with a source and the above settings.

Thanks for your kind reply

Here is my setting:

Scene select: Cinema
Picture mode: Cinema 1
Blacklight: 5
Picture: 90
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temp: warm 1
Sharpness: 55
Noise reduction: off
.....: off
..... : off
Motionflow: off
Cinemotion: auto
Black correct : off
Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Gamma: -2
Led dynamic: Low
Auto light limiter: off
Clear white: off
Live color: off
White balance: everything is 0
...: off

When I changed to this setting, it impoves a little, however, I still can notice blacklight bleeding from left and right edge of the tv. I'm curious about your set? Is that everything okay for you guys (blacklight bleeding)

Many thanks

post #3269 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM

What is your brightness setting?
post #3270 of 5099 Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I have a pretty good sized livingroom, so if I sit across the room which would be common I am probably a good 15' from the screen. A lot of people would say I should have a bigger set I am sure, but I have always tended to go more for picture quality than size for the money. (I noticed a 70" Vizio was about $100 less than these sets)

I am getting closer and even without the disks have settings that look decent for most inputs. I keep tinkering and will see what the calibration disks come up with as well probably.

At first I was sitting around 12.5' from the TV and I found the screen too small, especially for 2.35:1 movies. I just didn't feel emersed in the picture. Cable 1.85:1 was fine. I've since moved the seating up to around 9.5' and it's much better for movies. It's boaderline with some cable channels though from a pixelation standpoint. You have to find the happy medium unless you want to keep moving the sofa. :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page