Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

I had problems with the Sony store website locking up the TV. The trick was to quickly press “options” and then stop the website from loading further before it locked up the TV. Then you could select the default homepage option and change it to something else. Google in my case. Since then it’s been fine.

Problem solved !!....Thank You VERY much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Not that I purchased this tv for it's 3d, but has anyone noticed how crappy it is? Maybe I don't have my settings correct but

all i've noticed was blurry picture with zero 3d effect.

post #3333 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sounds like the glasses may not have synced up or turned on.

The 3d on this TV is phenomenal. It utterly destroys my Panasonic and rivals what I've seen in theaters.
springs113 likes this.
post #3334 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Not that I purchased this tv for it's 3d, but has anyone noticed how crappy it is? Maybe I don't have my settings correct but

Check the Watch in 3D section in the I-manual...

You need to register the glasses with the TV the first time you use them. You may also need to power the glasses on manually to start watching a 3D program.

When done correctly, 3D looks great, even the simulated 3D looks better than I expected.
post #3335 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skezo718 View Post

As mentioned above seems like a glasses pairing issue/

I tried out Transformers 3 on the TV and it looked stunning in 3D. Excellent brightness, depth and great clarity

post #3336 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila7 View Post

Quote:

Check the Watch in 3D section in the I-manual...

You need to register the glasses with the TV the first time you use them. You may also need to power the glasses on manually to start watching a 3D program.

When done correctly, 3D looks great, even the simulated 3D looks better than I expected.
Thanks! I honestly had no idea that I had to pair the glasses to the tv or turn them on. To be honest, I've had the tv for just over a week and haven't really had the time to go through all of the options.

I appreciate the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3337 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I got the WOW test disk and this zonal pattern isn't as clean as it apparently should be. I have all processing features turned off except for the LED dynamic control, which when Off makes things worse. The explanation for this pattern is that all but the primary 8 patterns should just be lines (not patterns) and anything else is artifacts. Is this as good as it gets?

Thanks.

post #3338 of 4987 Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySD View Post

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I got the WOW test disk and this zonal pattern isn't as clean as it apparently should be. I have all processing features turned off except for the LED dynamic control, which when Off makes things worse. The explanation for this pattern is that all but the primary 8 patterns should just be lines (not patterns) and anything else is artifacts. Is this as good as it gets?

What happens when you adjust sharpness?
post #3339 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 AM

Liked: 12
I know this is probably a longshot but if anyone has this Tv AND a yamaha rx-v371 receiver AND a bodnar lag tester could you test if running through the AVR adds any input lag?
post #3340 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Go to Picture Setting -> Screen -> Display Area and change it to Full Pixel OR if Full Pixel is not an option on that input, select +1. This will remove the overscan that is set by default.

Overscan causes distortions because the area displayed on the screen is smaller than the full image captured by the camera, forcing the TV to scale the picture up slightly. With no overscan, the original image is mapped 1:1 to the TV, resulting in a sharper image.
SToRM666 likes this.
post #3341 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 13
How are you guys getting BestBuy to pricematch the $1599 jr.com price. Looks like you gotta create an account on jr.com just to see the price?
post #3342 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM

So create one print off the page and take it in.
post #3343 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 AM

This tv almost make SD look good!
post #3344 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Liked: 30
Folks, assuming money is not an issue, would you buy the 55 inch KDLW900A or the 65 inch KDLW850A? I would be using the TV primarily for HD sports and general SD/HD viewing. Not much movies or 3D and no gaming. Primary viewing distance is exactly 11 feet straight on. Secondary viewing distance is 6 feet (15 degree angle). I have read that the W900A is a superior TV with 240HZ and a deep black panel and swivel base. The W850A offers a bigger screen size and better sound with no swivel base. Your thoughts?
post #3345 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Go to Picture Setting -> Screen -> Display Area and change it to Full Pixel OR if Full Pixel is not an option on that input, select +1. This will remove the overscan that is set by default.

Overscan causes distortions because the area displayed on the screen is smaller than the full image captured by the camera, forcing the TV to scale the picture up slightly. With no overscan, the original image is mapped 1:1 to the TV, resulting in a sharper image.

Since we are talking about overscan....I have my display set to Full Pixel all looks great except my ABC affiliate on TWC in San Diego shows a 1" vertical black bar on the right side all other channels look perfect.

So, If I turn off full pixel ABC looks correct but with overscan.

Anyone have any suggestions what is causing this problem? I assume the majority do not even notice a problem since the default for the TV is to overscan the picture.

Thanks
post #3346 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM

That bar was probably put there by the ABC affiliate. The following link explains why it is there. Maybe if you call the station, they will fix it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/
post #3347 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

What happens when you adjust sharpness?
I have sharpness on 40, and that's about as good as it gets. There are dark patterns as sharpness goes to 0.
Quote:

Already set to Full Pixel. None of the other display areas are any better either.

Note also that this is from a Sony player, so you'd think they'd be compatible. Maybe this is just residual interaction that can't be removed?

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe someone else will try the Zone Plate and get different results.
post #3348 of 4987 Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post

How are you guys getting BestBuy to pricematch the $1599 jr.com price. Looks like you gotta create an account on jr.com just to see the price?

BestBuy will not price match JandR's price I tried. It's not on their list of sellers they price match.

SandstormGT likes this.
post #3349 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I checked this on my W905 and it had overscan enabled. I disabled it for all my HDMI channels, because I don't see any benefit in scaling the images.

I find it a bit strange that this tv has quite some things enabled out of the box that aren't good for the picture quality (overscan, eco-settings, colors too bright).
Even the option for getting much better sound out of the speakers is disabled by default.
post #3350 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Eco settings are to meet Energy Star ratings.

Overscan is to prevent people from calling in about strange lines and noise at the edge of their picture.

Honestly, every new TV I've bought has had overscan enabled out of the box.
post #3351 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewisco View Post

BestBuy will not price match JandR's price I tried. It's not on their list of sellers they price match.
Thanks for replying with experience, take notes WildOnHer.....
post #3352 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Will do. I bought mine at Amazon. I didn't know Best Buy had a special list of stores they will price match. Sounds like they are just trying to rip people off to me.
post #3353 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Liked: 11
I purchased this tv from Amazon today (not arriving until next week) - I am also a Xbox One owner - I use the pass thru function of the xbox one so it controls my current tv (samsung plasma). Anyway, in the xbox settings, they have a setup you go through for HDTV Calibration. They say to turn on game mode and change a bunch of things. Is this worth going through for this tv? And should those settings only be used in game mode (meaning even though the xbone switches between tv and games with no problem, i should still flip the tv to game mode when gaming and back when watching tv?
post #3354 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySD View Post

I have sharpness on 40, and that's about as good as it gets. There are dark patterns as sharpness goes to 0.
Already set to Full Pixel. None of the other display areas are any better either.

Note also that this is from a Sony player, so you'd think they'd be compatible. Maybe this is just residual interaction that can't be removed?

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe someone else will try the Zone Plate and get different results.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3355 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Oops. (Previous post) I have the wow disk and will will check this on my w900's on Monday.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3356 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I get similar results with the wow disc.

Honestly, it's a very challenging pattern and I have yet to see a TV that reproduces it perfectly.

If I had a blu-ray player hooked up to my ST50 right now, I would try it. But I seem to recall seeing similar types of artifacts on it as well.

I should also compare what it looks like between my blu-ray player and PS3 as there may be a player component as far as output goes.
SonySD likes this.
post #3357 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Wildonher View Post

Will do. I bought mine at Amazon. I didn't know Best Buy had a special list of stores they will price match. Sounds like they are just trying to rip people off to me.

Appears that way to me as well, it's not like the sale price is shady, I am pretty sure jr.com is pretty reputable...I can understand why they don't match place's like EastCoastTV and the like...I am scared to purchase a TV from Amazon even though I have heard they have a good return policy and have been a pleasure to deal with on all my other purchase's, I would just like the freedom to immediately box the thing up and return it to a local retailer for exchange if there are any uniformity problems and several bad/dead pixels.
post #3358 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Appears that way to me as well, it's not like the sale price is shady, I am pretty sure jr.com is pretty reputable...I can understand why they don't match place's like EastCoastTV and the like...I am scared to purchase a TV from Amazon even though I have heard they have a good return policy and have been a pleasure to deal with on all my other purchase's, I would just like the freedom to immediately box the thing up and return it to a local retailer for exchange if there are any uniformity problems and several bad/dead pixels.

I had no issue returning a 60" Samsung to Amazon. No charge. No box. No problem. Being Amazon Prime and a busy buyer might help. Amazon price matched frys.com price for me.
post #3359 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule65 View Post

I had no issue returning a 60" Samsung to Amazon. No charge. No box. No problem. Being Amazon Prime and a busy buyer might help. Amazon price matched frys.com price for me.

That sounds awesome, I make a few purchases a month from Amazon but let my Prime membership lapse a few months back. When "you" returned the TV, what exactly was the process? Did you just call them and they arranged everything? You didn't even have the original box? That is pretty amazing considering I just tried to return a $500 printer to techdata.com yesterday for my company and it was in the correct box with all packing material, but the box was associated with a serial number from another exact model printer, and they would not take it!
post #3360 of 4987 Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:

That sounds awesome, I make a few purchases a month from Amazon but let my Prime membership lapse a few months back. When "you" returned the TV, what exactly was the process? Did you just call them and they arranged everything? You didn't even have the original box? That is pretty amazing considering I just tried to return a $500 printer to techdata.com yesterday for my company and it was in the correct box with all packing material, but the box was associated with a serial number from another exact model printer, and they would not take it!

Fantastic service. Just return through the web except you click on a 'call me' button and they call you right away. Told them I wasn't happy with the Samsung picture and wanted to try something else. They handled everything but someone needs to be available for the pickup. I tossed the box because I thought I'd keep it. Told Amazon and they said no problem -- picked up bare panel and bag of accessories the next day. Piece o cake. If you go thru a bunch of units I suspect they may become less accommodating.
SandstormGT likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page