Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I always get my extended warrantee from Sony and yes they do sell extended warranty's! biggrin.gif

Steve -

Will 2 yr extended warranty starts after 1 yr manufacturer included warranty? So total of 3 years ?

Trying to pull trigger on Sony store with 2 yr extended warranty.

Total cost after my corporate discounts (20% off of MSRP) comes to $1867 - Including tax and 2 Year extended warranty.

Edit - Ordered smile.gif

I believe the 2 year warranty would start after the 1 year warranty from Sony or they would run it consecutively which it would be 3 years. Congrats on ordering it. Should be getting mine from Sony this week. Once I get it it will be the end for my HX850 which has been an excellent tv. Its already been sold to my mother and stepfather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007. View Post

Show us a real image with blu ray picture or cable/satellite image, no blank screens please. Your set is fine, it appears you are trying to find an issue or too picky. W900A is one of the best out there.

OK, so I am still struggling with this uniformity issue.  I realize that showing a pure white screen is an artificial test, but I definitely see the banding "fingers" at the edges when there are light colored images on the display.  I watched "UP" this weekend and I could not help but noticing this on pretty much any light scene - and there are a lot of them in this movie.  I'm attaching a picture of the credits of that movie here - notice the edges are darker and uneven.  Yes, the background is some type of texture that may not be perfectly even... however, these dark spots you see in the image did not scroll with the rest of the image (the picture slightly exaggerates the problem, but just a little).  It definitely is a panel uniformity issue, one that I've seen on many images in this forum other than my own.  I have seen other images that have much more uniform pictures - whether this is from the way the pic was taken or if their panel really is that much better than mine I don't know.  So basically I was looking for some other people's opinions; does a more uniform panel exist on this model?  Would it be worth the hassle of an exchange (I still have a few days left at Best Buy for their return/exchange)?  I really dislike the idea of packing everything up and trying to explain this issue to them for the exchange but I will if there is a decent chance of a better unit.  My settings for this pic are cinema 1 with the only change being the color temperature is set to "warm 1" instead of "warm 2".

post #3513 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Replace that POS...lol

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #3514 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin View Post

OK, so I am still struggling with this uniformity issue.  I realize that showing a pure white screen is an artificial test, but I definitely see the banding "fingers" at the edges when there are light colored images on the display.  I watched "UP" this weekend and I could not help but noticing this on pretty much any light scene - and there are a lot of them in this movie.  I'm attaching a picture of the credits of that movie here - notice the edges are darker and uneven.  Yes, the background is some type of texture that may not be perfectly even... however, these dark spots you see in the image did not scroll with the rest of the image (the picture slightly exaggerates the problem, but just a little).  It definitely is a panel uniformity issue, one that I've seen on many images in this forum other than my own.  I have seen other images that have much more uniform pictures - whether this is from the way the pic was taken or if their panel really is that much better than mine I don't know.  So basically I was looking for some other people's opinions; does a more uniform panel exist on this model?  Would it be worth the hassle of an exchange (I still have a few days left at Best Buy for their return/exchange)?  I really dislike the idea of packing everything up and trying to explain this issue to them for the exchange but I will if there is a decent chance of a better unit.  My settings for this pic are cinema 1 with the only change being the color temperature is set to "warm 1" instead of "warm 2".

Jumpin - I watched that same movie with my kids on Sat as a demo for the new TV, I did NOT see the same issues that you are. My settings are a little different then yours, as I am still tweaking, but I didn't notice anything like the above.
post #3515 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

That's pretty bad, man. It's true that cameras can exaggerate these effects, but if you're seeing anything nearly that bad with actual content and not just white screens, you should exchange it. Had the same issue with my XBR6 back in the day, but it wasn't nearly that bad.
post #3516 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Man I just bought this tv yesterday, seeing the pink tinge scares me, I was a victim of the green tonge from bad optical blocks from my previous sony tv, hope this isnt a issue that starts to manifest.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #3517 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Man I just bought this tv yesterday, seeing the pink tinge scares me, I was a victim of the green tonge from bad optical blocks from my previous sony tv, hope this isnt a issue that starts to manifest.

I don't think it's something that develops over time. I think it's simply a bad panel. Let me also differentiate between the slight pinkish tint that ALL W900s exhibit when viewing at off angles, and what jumpin has going on. Most people can live with the former. I personally couldn't live with the latter.
post #3518 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

That's pretty bad, man. It's true that cameras can exaggerate these effects, but if you're seeing anything nearly that bad with actual content and not just white screens, you should exchange it. Had the same issue with my XBR6 back in the day, but it wasn't nearly that bad.

Yes it is worse in the picture than what my eye sees, but it is bad enough that I notice it when any light color is at either edge. I've read almost this entire thread by now and it seems that this problem is pretty common, but I've seen enough pictures of good sets (and testimonials) that I think mine is on the "bad" end of the spectrum for this issue.  Do you guys think that Best Buy will exchange without hassle, or do you think they will fight me on this?  I'm still within their 15-16 day window for returns.

post #3519 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it is worse in the picture than what my eye sees, but it is bad enough that I notice it when any light color is at either edge. I've read almost this entire thread by now and it seems that this problem is pretty common, but I've seen enough pictures of good sets (and testimonials) that I think mine is on the "bad" end of the spectrum for this issue.  Do you guys think that Best Buy will exchange without hassle, or do you think they will fight me on this?  I'm still within their 15-16 day window for returns.
They shouldn't give you a hassle. You're within your return period and are unhappy with the set. And I assume not a serial returner. So you should be good.
post #3520 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM

Liked: 48
Jumpin,
This is a picture of a white screen on my third w900a (calibrated with Disney wow disk) that I just took with my phone. It is exactly how it looks to my naked eye so there is no photo/camera distortion of the color/contrast. If your TV looks anything like the photo you posted you should definitely exchange it. None of mine (Ive gone through 4 to get 2 keepers) look nearly that bad with a white screen.

Quote:

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3521 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Here is another. TWC 1080i cable feed.
Settings:
Cinema1
Backlight 5
Picture max
Brightness 51
Color 55
Hue R1
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 40
Motionflow standard
everything else off or min and White Balances zeroed out.

Hope this helps
Quote:

post #3522 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM

"Hue 1" should have read "Hue R1"

post #3523 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

"Hue 1" should have read "Hue R1"

Lh,

Are there certain steps has to be followed or need to look for certain things e.g. White color, black level while calibrating the set with wow disk? Can you give some pointers to first timer?

I ordered w900 yesterday on sony store and should be getting early next week.

And where I can get Disney wow disk?
Thank you!
post #3524 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM

i got my WOW on ebay new for $13 shipped

post #3525 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post

i got my WOW on ebay new for $13 shipped

Thanks , just did the search.

Is this the correct one?

http://www.disneystore.com/special-interest-movies-entertainment-world-of-wonder-optimization-disc-blu-ray/mp/1313479/1013503/
post #3526 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM

I got mine locally off of Craigslist for I think $17 sealed in box. Easy to go through. I read the enclosed instructions and skipped to the "advanced" section. I went through settings in the recommended order then moved on to the "Expert" level and changed things a little, then went back to "advanced" and changed the picture, brightness, color and hue settings a single notch or two.

I'd like to check white balance but I don't have a calibrator to measure the settings with so I just left everything set on 0.

Quote:

Lh,

Are there certain steps has to be followed or need to look for certain things e.g. White color, black level while calibrating the set with wow disk? Can you give some pointers to first timer?

I ordered w900 yesterday on sony store and should be getting early next week.

And where I can get Disney wow disk?
Thank you!

post #3527 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Is this the correct one?

http://www.disneystore.com/special-interest-movies-entertainment-world-of-wonder-optimization-disc-blu-ray/mp/1313479/1013503/

yeah i got that one but just the DVD version

post #3528 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM

That looks exactly like mine.
Quote:

Is this the correct one?

post #3529 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I got mine locally off of Craigslist for I think $17 sealed in box. Easy to go through. I read the enclosed instructions and skipped to the "advanced" section. I went through settings in the recommended order then moved on to the "Expert" level and changed things a little, then went back to "advanced" and changed the picture, brightness, color and hue settings a single notch or two.

I'd like to check white balance but I don't have a calibrator to measure the settings with so I just left everything set on 0.
Thanks!
Quote:

That looks exactly like mine.

Thanks!
post #3530 of 4838 Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Liked: 10

Long time Lurker first time Poster. I have some newbie questions.

I just got the tv and using some of your settings found a good costume setting for blu ray (cinema) and for gaming (gaming) I have a question though, can you save multiple settings and do they cross to all the hdmi inputs?

My next questions is I got VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers.  What is the best way to hook into it? Digital output or hdmi...and for that matter where is the hdmi out I cant find it for audio...

I have a ps4 going into hdmi, then going out digital output. Sony ps4 has 4 sound settings Pcm, dolby and dts what should I use.

Any advice would be great. Or any settings I have to change with the ps4 or tv to get the best sound.

post #3531 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 AM

[quote name="l...h" I'd like to check the white balance but I don't have a calibrator to measure the settings with so I just left everything set on 0.
[/quote]

That said, does anyone know of a good way to set the white balance without professional calibration tools?

post #3532 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Here is another. TWC 1080i cable feed.
Settings:
Cinema1
Backlight 5
Picture max
Brightness 51
Color 55
Hue 1
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 40
Motionflow standard
everything else off or min and White Balances zeroed out.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much for posting those pictures!!  You definitely have a more uniform set than mine.  I can still see the fingering, but only slightly - this gives me hope for a better set.  I watched "Watchmen" (who watches the Watchmen?  I do!  ha sorry...) on blu ray last night and I have to say, it looked fantastic.  Since so many scenes are super dark this set really was able to show itself off, and I didn't notice the fingers at all.  Quite a difference from "UP", where I noticed them all the time.

post #3533 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I will be getting my 55W900 on March 3rd and have a pro calibration all set up. I cant wait to see what it can do! I am hoping that there is no dead pixels or clouding and screen uniformity is even across the board. I have a lot of expectations when it comes to this tv and I hope to Christ it don't let me down. I have read a lot of great things about the W900 and have read a few negatives as well. Hopefully lady luck is on my side. biggrin.gif
post #3534 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM

You're welcome. That picture is of a paused frame of a super-fast moving commercial during a UFC fight on my dvr. That is the worst example of the side lights I've seen on that tv by far so the picture is worse than reality. I don't even know what those orange colored things are! Haha...
Quote:

Thank you so much for posting those pictures!!  You definitely have a more uniform set than mine.  I can still see the fingering, but only slightly - this gives me hope for a better set.  I watched "Watchmen" (who watches the Watchmen?  I do!  ha sorry...) on blu ray last night and I have to say, it looked fantastic.  Since so many scenes are super dark this set really was able to show itself off, and I didn't notice the fingers at all.  Quite a difference from "UP", where I noticed them all the time.

post #3535 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

You're welcome. That picture is of a paused frame of a super-fast moving commercial during a UFC fight on my dvr. That is the worst example of the side lights I've seen on that tv by far so the picture is worse than reality. I don't even know what those orange colored things are! Haha...

Haha that is funny... here I am saying, "yeah, if I squint I can see the fingering.  Maybe mine isn't so bad!!!"  But if that is the worst yours gets then you are one lucky duck.  I might try to take a pic that looks closer to what I see in reality later... but really what's the point.  I think think it is pretty clear that my set is on the bad end of the spectrum for this issue - I just need to decide if I want to spin the wheel on another try or stick with what I have.  Thanks again I...h

post #3536 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I will be getting my 55W900 on March 3rd and have a pro calibration all set up. I cant wait to see what it can do! I am hoping that there is no dead pixels or clouding and screen uniformity is even across the board. I have a lot of expectations when it comes to this tv and I hope to Christ it don't let me down. I have read a lot of great things about the W900 and have read a few negatives as well. Hopefully lady luck is on my side. biggrin.gif

I'm getting my set next week as well. It was shipped yesterday.

How to check these pattern? clouding and screen uniformity.

Clouding I can understand, watch white screen, scenes and look for black or clouds type near the edges etc..correct?

Screen uniformity - Can someone explain how to detect it?

Watched this youtube video on Disney WOW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hj5_9HSiI

Is it adviseable to run pixel stress tool which comes with Disney WOW disc?

Thanks all!
post #3537 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I'm getting my set next week as well. It was shipped yesterday.

How to check these pattern? clouding and screen uniformity.

Clouding I can understand, watch white screen, scenes and look for black or clouds type near the edges etc..correct?

Screen uniformity - Can someone explain how to detect it?

Watched this youtube video on Disney WOW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hj5_9HSiI

Is it adviseable to run pixel stress tool which comes with Disney WOW disc?

Thanks all!

I have found clouding (lighter random "splotches") to be most noticeable on dark scenes or black screens with white print.

Screen uniformity is a broad term encompassing several anomalies including banding, flashlighting, clouding, DSE (DirtyScreenEffect), "fingers" from edge lighting, backlight leaks,etc. Search this forum for examples of each.

Generally speaking, these are things I have learned to look for:

White screen:
Banding
DSE
Edge lighting "fingers"

Black or Dark screen:
Flashlighting
Clouding
Banding
Backlight leaks around edges

Solid R,B,G Screens:
Dead pixels
(Only one of my sets had some)

There are test screens on the Disney disk that will help you check for all of these possible "problems" with your particular panel.

post #3538 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I have found clouding (lighter random "splotches") to be most noticeable on dark scenes or black screens with white print.

Screen uniformity is a broad term encompassing several anomalies including banding, flashlighting, clouding, DSE (DirtyScreenEffect), "fingers" from edge lighting, backlight leaks,etc. Search this forum for examples of each.

Generally speaking, these are things I have learned to look for:

White screen:
Banding
DSE
Edge lighting "fingers"

Black or Dark screen:
Flashlighting
Clouding
Banding
Backlight leaks around edges

Solid R,B,G Screens:
Dead pixels
(Only one of my sets had some)

There are test screens on the Disney disk that will help you check for all of these possible "problems" with your particular panel.

Thank you
post #3539 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Amazon also has the Disney WOW Blu Ray for $19 or something close to that if my memory is right. If you want to save your $$$$, there are a lot of settings posted in this thread. You could try them and playing around a little before plunking out the $20 for the disc. Worth a thought anyway.
post #3540 of 4838 Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanvt View Post

Amazon also has the Disney WOW Blu Ray for $19 or something close to that if my memory is right. If you want to save your $$$$, there are a lot of settings posted in this thread. You could try them and playing around a little before plunking out the $20 for the disc. Worth a thought anyway.

The Disney WOW disk is also 4yrs old and some what out dated which is why you can get it so cheap. The Spears $ Munsil 2nd Edition Calibration Disk came out mid 2013 and has way better templates. It's $25-$30 and you get it on both Blu-ray and DVD in the same package.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page