Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 4832 Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm. Color fluctuations. Just a thought, have you tried turning Advanced Contrast Enhancer off?. It can help with black levels and goes a good way of reducing the visibility of flashlighting in the corners on dark scenes if you have it but it also has a tendency to cause color fluctuations/flicker on objects of solid color occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4832 Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have any of you been having streaming problems with Netflix lately? The last couple times I've used it I have had resolution problems. One minute it is hi rez and the next it is SD, then it's back to hi rez and then, no, it's SD. It's driving me crazy. Is this caused by a recent firmware upgrade? Is there a fix?
post #3603 of 4832 Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post

Have any of you been having streaming problems with Netflix lately? The last couple times I've used it I have had resolution problems. One minute it is hi rez and the next it is SD, then it's back to hi rez and then, no, it's SD. It's driving me crazy. Is this caused by a recent firmware upgrade? Is there a fix?

i believe this is a netflix problem as i have had this problem lately(being since the feb 1st) on all my devices, ps3, ps4, chromecast, roku, and my laptop.  i think this has to do with the netflix comcast agreement they struck and its growing pains of them redoing thier networking or whatever to finish up that deal.

post #3604 of 4832 Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 AM

Disconnected my battery back up unit and used a straight power strip, then took a rope and proceeded to hang myself. I can't believe that this CyberPower unit (625VA) would be the cause of some of my issues. Picture with factory settings (standard) on a 1-10 is about an 8.5, what a difference. Will play around with settings and try and get it to a 10.

Will still talk to Sony as to why the power recycle still happens, Someone said possible firmware issue. Since TV was manufactured in Nov 2013 maybe there is an upgrade to deal with this one. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else happens.

I want to thank you for your suggestion.

Stevez1
post #3605 of 4832 Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

I can't believe that this CyberPower unit (625VA) would be the cause of some of my issues.

UPSs can output in two (sometimes 3) different ways. Their inverter can do a pure sine wave or a stepped sine wave. The former is what you get straight from the outlet. The later is what cheaper inverters can do. On most equipment, it likely won't matter. However, it's possible that the TV may be sensitive to it. The power supply may have problems regulating the voltage to the rest of the TV and you can get some REALLY random failure modes when electronics don't have correct power.

I don't know that this was the cause of the problem, but it's possible.

This is from a UPS manufacturer, but the info is accurate.

http://www.minutemanups.com/support/pwr_un10.php
post #3606 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 AM

Got this set last week. So far loving it for gaming and colors are fantastic. My question to other is, does the set lean forward when on the stand? I look at the set from the side and the upper half seems to lean forward.
post #3607 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 AM

Liked: 12
Yes it does lean forward slightly, or at least you're not the only person to mention it, seen a few people mention that on AVForums
post #3608 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVeAn View Post

Got this set last week. So far loving it for gaming and colors are fantastic. My question to other is, does the set lean forward when on the stand? I look at the set from the side and the upper half seems to lean forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

Yes it does lean forward slightly, or at least you're not the only person to mention it, seen a few people mention that on AVForums

make sure you tighten the screws on the base.

mine does not lean forward

post #3609 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 AM

I'm going to check with manufacturer on which wave this unit is sending out. Right now on plain old power strip, haven't had the TV recycle power yet. Finally after 2 days I've seem to be getting better picture on most channels accept movie channels which is too dark and orange colored faces. Will still play around. I'm going to get a calibration disk, how many hours do I have to play the TV for it to be affective?

Does it calibrate both HDMI ports, TV and DVD at the same time?

Thanks

Stevez1
post #3610 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

I'm going to check with manufacturer on which wave this unit is sending out. Right now on plain old power strip, haven't had the TV recycle power yet. Finally after 2 days I've seem to be getting better picture on most channels accept movie channels which is too dark and orange colored faces. Will still play around. I'm going to get a calibration disk, how many hours do I have to play the TV for it to be affective?

Does it calibrate both HDMI ports, TV and DVD at the same time?

Thanks

Stevez1

no it does not calibrate all the hdmi at one time its per hdmi channel. i posted before saying how great it is to have a tv that auto swicthes your setting from one hdmi to the next alot better then messing with a remote
post #3611 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 AM

Hello everyone,

My Sony rear projection LCD is dying a slow death. I already replaced the bulb a little over a year ago and it's giving me problems again. I believe something's wrong with the bulb door or the connectors.
Anyway, I decided to get a new set, did some research and am leaning towards W850A.
I wanted to get a nice sound system along with it and due to my room setup I started looking at soundbars. I liked HTST7, but I cannot bring myself to shell $1,000 for something that isn't a real surround sound. HT-CT660 is nice but only gives you 2.1 effect and since W850A gives you 5.1 audio output, it seems like a waste. I found Sonos playbar and it's sort of intrigued me. I listened to it in a store and sound quality is quiet good. It's not cheap at all, but it gives you ability to add on wireless speakers to any room in your house and stream audio selectively to any of these speakers. Sonos only uses optical digital out and from my understanding W850A has that? I also read somewhere that if you connect your sources to a TV with HDMI, the TV will block 5.1 optical sound output due to some sort of regulations. So my question is, has anyone connected say your cable box to W850A via HDMI and got 5.1 audio output from optical audio port?

TIA,
-Tony.
post #3612 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM

i would only get the 3 top model tvs out

the #1 and #2 are plasma and you can only find them for like $3000 in todays market im not looking to spend more then $1500

this W900A is #3 on the list of tv's to buy i would not look at anything else other then the 3 top tv's

4k is already out the door with 8k already been out

lets just say some stuff about the newest tech

why spent all this extra money for something that is going to be the next 3D

3D has been around for years its a fad it comes in to play each XX years and dies and comes back and so on

1080P is not even getting broadcasted on cable providers why because the box itself is limited to 1080I why you might ask because the dam cable company is compressing the image.

Did anyone watch the winter Olympics ? it was not even broadcasted in 1080P , i was kind of shocked. the summer was in 1080P OTA.

I have said it before in this thread this tv is out standing. the blacks are black and the whites are sharp and on point. i have no problems with my tv like some of these people on the forums.

I have a xbox one and a xbox 360 both look amazing on this tv. even a 6950HD gfx card in my I5 connected to the TV looks amazing

So before you throw money in to the air getting a tv make sure you read and read and read.

I will not be getting another tv for the next 10 years. my last tv was a 32inch lcd from almost 10 years ago. like the starting of lcd panels. you know what it was a impluse buy and i learned from it. This time around i spent almost a month just racking my brain. reading each review of mostly every tv on amazon just to get a feel of what people where saying. the most worst thing i was reading about samsung it self was on a cross platform of all the tv's they make starting at the lowest end to a high end they all had the same problems. cloudyness blur of center color washing. after review after review of people saying almost the same darn thing it makes u wonder about samsung 2009 they where the hight of the game with nice tv's alot of people started bring them home and having friends over and looking at the new tv in the living room. now those people did not just run out and buy a tv a few years later they started to say hey i want that tv that JASON has in his house or better they go and get a new 2011 to 2014 samsung and start to face the fact the tv they just bought sucks. They run over to JASON'S house and compare the image and cant understand why his tv looks better. You know why because samsung just started to mass prod those led panels now for a cheap price and dont care anymore about the person buying the tv. they hooked you with the sale of a friend now your going to be mad at your buddy lol instead of samsung.

long run is to always read read read. dont take each review for what its worth but if you see the same type of problems over and over and over then its makes you think hey why.

post #3613 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36

Hey guys I've noticed a red tinge on my week old set. Make me nervous to exchange as I have no dead pixels , clouding is pretty minimal. I've attached a couple white screens, is this normal ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #3614 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What's the best way to get YouTube to play in 1080p? Is the YouTube app on the W9 the same as the Apple TV and Xbox One PS4 etc? I'll watch a game review or video but sometimes it appears soft when I know my connection is fast and there's a 1080p option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3615 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

I figured it was gravity's fault lol.
post #3616 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post

You can see it here:

I've also discovered some depressions in the top edge of my rear cover. Mine looks like someone leaned on the upper left corner (when viewed from the rear) during assembly or packing and created a depression. It almost looks like I could pop it out if I removed the cover. My shipping carton was also undamaged. Apparently you can order a new rear cover from Sony for $63 + shipping https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-443772001.aspx . It looks fairly easy to remove the rear cover, just a bunch of screws and it looks like the ones that must be removed are marked by "Arrow Heads" engraved into the rear cover. The cover is so thin, I wonder if I would end up with a damaged replacement cover by the time the shipment made it to my door.

Has anyone replaced their rear cover or had it done by Sony service??

Like others have posted, my picture is near perfect, so I will live with the dent or replace the cover rather than exchanging it.

John
post #3617 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Well the horizontal banding has not become less noticeable as I had hoped, if anything, I am now at the point where I am looking for it at all times, which is super distracting. It isn't hard to notice, here is a video of it in a very noticeable place.

http://finalfantasy-fxn.net/david/W900a.avi

I'm way beyond the return window at Future Shop, but I am wondering if this might be something Sony would consider as a 'defect' and replace it with another unit, or something. Or am I screwed until I get another TV?
post #3618 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchdog View Post

You can see it here:

I've also discovered some depressions in the top edge of my rear cover. Mine looks like someone leaned on the upper left corner (when viewed from the rear) during assembly or packing and created a depression. It almost looks like I could pop it out if I removed the cover. My shipping carton was also undamaged. Apparently you can order a new rear cover from Sony for $63 + shipping https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-443772001.aspx . It looks fairly easy to remove the rear cover, just a bunch of screws and it looks like the ones that must be removed are marked by "Arrow Heads" engraved into the rear cover. The cover is so thin, I wonder if I would end up with a damaged replacement cover by the time the shipment made it to my door.

Has anyone replaced their rear cover or had it done by Sony service??

Like others have posted, my picture is near perfect, so I will live with the dent or replace the cover rather than exchanging it.

John

If it were me John I would just live with it. Your pic is near perfect and that's all that matters. That's just my opinion though.
post #3619 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

If it were me John I would just live with it. Your pic is near perfect and that's all that matters. That's just my opinion though.

X2. Stick with what you know. Besides, who ever looks at the back of their TV anyway?!
post #3620 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM

I now have a KDL-55W900A and am playing Blu-rays with a Sony BDP-S790, which seems to work very well. Since this TV is 55" and my previous one was 42", I chose to reset all the BDP-S790's settings to Default and reprogram it. While going through Screen Settings I saw SBM (Super Bit Mapping) which is defaulted to On. SBM is also in the KDL-55W900A's Settings > Picture & Display > Pro Picture Setup, and is also defaulted to On.

So.... First, what is Super Bit Mapping and why is it defaulted to On? Second, is it necessary for both Blu-ray player AND TV to BOTH be On?

This is my first experience in owning an LED-LCD panel and there seem to be an awful lot of unfamiliar processing settings. I seem to remember that with plasma a "general rule of thumb" was, the less processing, the better. Does that hold true for LED-LCDs as well?

I'd also like to add that I was pretty unhappy with CNET's "calibrated settings" as well. The picture seemed somewhat...grey? Or soft? Mushy, even. Not clear, as I would have expected. It seems a little difficult to get this set "dialed in" just right; but then that's part of the fun of owning a new HDTV...I guess.... lol~ One thing I do know: when this set IS finally "dialed in," both Planet Earth and Samsara are going to look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. eek.gif

Thanks to all who have been posting their "best settings"...they are generally very helpful to those of us who have absolutely no idea what we're doing. rolleyes.gif
post #3621 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcommunity View Post

make sure you tighten the screws on the base.
mine does not lean forward
I made sure they were tight before standing it up.
post #3622 of 4832 Old 03-02-2014, 11:54 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Hey guys I've noticed a red tinge on my week old set. Make me nervous to exchange as I have no dead pixels , clouding is pretty minimal. I've attached a couple white screens, is this normal ?

I would advise you to play with "White Balance" settings. Reducing R bias to -1 and also play with gain settings inside White balance to achieve absolute white.

lp, d.
post #3623 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 AM

So I wonder if I put the stand on correctly...I installed the stand while it was lying down. Is it suppose to be installed when standing up?
post #3624 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post

So.... First, what is Super Bit Mapping and why is it defaulted to On? Second, is it necessary for both Blu-ray player AND TV to BOTH be On?

:

According to Sony Asia sbm is to break up colour banding in sunsets and dark areas etc.

What is the effect of SBM setting? : FAQ : Sony Asia Pacific

I think it can be especially useful on SD content.
donottosmeok likes this.
post #3625 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 AM

post #3626 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyg View Post

W950B seems to be in stock at sony.ca already..? $2199

http://store.sony.ca/54.6-diag-w950b-ultimate-led-hdtv-zid31-KDL55W950B/cat-31-catid-All-W-Series-TVs?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

So this is the tv that's replacing the W900? I don't like the wedge design at all but that's just me.
post #3627 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my W9 this morning. I had to let it sit awhile because it came from a cold invironment. Finally got it all set up and running. All I can say is WOW! eek.gif After some tweaking the PQ and black levels are mind blowing to say the least. Coming from a 46 inch tv to going to a 55 inch is unreal. I'll give more thoughts after I test it out tonight. But so far this is an unbelieveable tv. One of Sony's best for sure.
post #3628 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyg View Post

W950B seems to be in stock at sony.ca already..? $2199

http://store.sony.ca/54.6-diag-w950b-ultimate-led-hdtv-zid31-KDL55W950B/cat-31-catid-All-W-Series-TVs?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

"Dimming Type : Local Dimming"
post #3629 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Has anyone tracked the complaints and returns relative to whether the TV was bought locally or shipped? Seems like there are more complaints from mail order purchases, but maybe that's just because there are more mail order purchases.

I'm wondering if the shipping process is damaging some of these problematic TVs. Like if the shipper lays it down horizontal, or drops it. I got mine from a local Best Buy, brought it home carefully and vertically in my truck, and have been very happy with it. And with the Best Buy price match of the Frys $1600 price (which I would have missed if it hadn't been posted on this forum - THANKS!)
post #3630 of 4832 Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySD View Post

Has anyone tracked the complaints and returns relative to whether the TV was bought locally or shipped? Seems like there are more complaints from mail order purchases, but maybe that's just because there are more mail order purchases.

I'm wondering if the shipping process is damaging some of these problematic TVs. Like if the shipper lays it down horizontal, or drops it. I got mine from a local Best Buy, brought it home carefully and vertically in my truck, and have been very happy with it. And with the Best Buy price match of the Frys $1600 price (which I would have missed if it hadn't been posted on this forum - THANKS!)

I also bought mine from a local BestBuy. We purchased local because we didn't want the TV banged around in delivery and thought we would get it home safer. We had to lay it down on it's side to get the box to fit in the back of an SUV. But I have no issues with the TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page