Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 4984 Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

Yes I did. I told them I purchased the TV on December 30th.

But, I think during the initial setup it asked me if I wanted to register the TV with Sony and I clicked yes. I would think that would have set the date to when I purchased and setup the TV.
I don't think that matters because when I purchased mine I didn't set it up until about 2 weeks later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4984 Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I just messaged Sony support on Facebook and am waiting for a response about the codes. If I don't hear anything from them I am going to call Sony instead.

Steve,

Do you have to send them S.NO. on the facebook?

Nope didn't have to. They are looking into it for me and are going to try and get the codes for me smile.gif. That being said. When it got my tv I got 4 pairs of 3D glasses, the open sided ones and in my opinion they suck. I like my PS3 3D glasses so much more. Just had to say that. redface.gif
post #3693 of 4984 Old 03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Nope didn't have to. They are looking into it for me and are going to try and get the codes for me smile.gif. That being said. When it got my tv I got 4 pairs of 3D glasses, the open sided ones and in my opinion they suck. I like my PS3 3D glasses so much more. Just had to say that. redface.gif
I agree. The lenses are small and the frames are distracting.
post #3694 of 4984 Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks,
post #3695 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night I was watching a movie, while my wife played around on the computer, on Starz HD about the trials of a family surviving a Sunami (or however you spell it lol) and I was absolutely blown away by the detail and every fine detail as the giant wave swept through the small town by my W9. I will say it again and that is this tv just blows my mind when it comes to PQ, black levels and detail it gives while watching just a regular HD movie on Comcast. I will even say it makes even Standard def material look good. I have had 2 excellent TV's in Sony's HX750 and HX850 and neither one of these even comes close to matching my W9. I don't care what anyone says but I am loving this tv and it makes watching sports and movies and tv programs so much fun watching and it helps when you go from a 46inch tv to a 55. But this beast is something special in my opinion. biggrin.gif
NewHT, jetjocky and hx820atl like this.
post #3696 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 48
Do the PS3 glasses work with the w900a? I feel the same way you do about the bundled Sony glasses.
Quote:

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3697 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is this set's SD up-conversion compared to the Samsung f8000?
post #3698 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Do the PS3 glasses work with the w900a? I feel the same way you do about the bundled Sony glasses.

No, they are IR based while the TV is bluetooth.
hx820atl likes this.
post #3699 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Tks, I knew w900's are rf, I didn't know about the PS3's. Do you know of any other choices for rf glasses that will work with w900?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

post #3700 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post

How is this set's SD up-conversion compared to the Samsung f8000?

Dizzyboy the SD up-conversion is very very good on the W9.
post #3701 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Ah hell I hope your wrong on that bull. My wife just bought our PS3 3D glasses not to long ago to watch 3D on the HX850 we had. I read the glasses worked on all of Sony's 3D TV's except that is on the Passive sets. I aint doubting you but I am going to have to try them out tonight just to make sure that you are right and if you are.....DAMN! mad.gif My wife said its no big deal to her but it is to me.
post #3702 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

Ah hell I hope your wrong on that bull. My wife just bought our PS3 3D glasses not to long ago to watch 3D on the HX850 we had. I read the glasses worked on all of Sony's 3D TV's except that is on the Passive sets. I aint doubting you but I am going to have to try them out tonight just to make sure that you are right and if you are.....DAMN! mad.gif My wife said its no big deal to her but it is to me.

I can confirm that they do not work with the W9. Just like you, I had purchased my second 2 PS3 glasses to work with my HX850, and was bummed that they didn't work with the new set. No, the new glasses aren't nearly as comfortable and don't block out light from the side like the PS3 ones, but at least 4 were included free with the set!
post #3703 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Liked: 23
I got my eye on this tv and was wondering is it the best led set out? Which is better this set or the f8000 from Samsung? Thanks
post #3704 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM

You could ask the f8000 forum too. FWIW, I bought one of these and put it next to a 55" f8000 at my friend's house,then went back and bought another w900a to put in the bedroom. He bought one too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

I got my eye on this tv and was wondering is it the best led set out? Which is better this set or the f8000 from Samsung? Thanks
NewHT likes this.

post #3705 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

The Sony XBR X900A is the best LCD out right now. But comparing the W900a vs. Samsung F8000 , I believe the Sony is better. The Samsung has a very artificial picture to it, but some people like that. It's best to see them yourself and compare.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3706 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
For the past week I've been fiddling with the settings, and I take back any negative thing I may have said about "the Pendlebury settings" (CNET). (It turned out I just forgot to turn off the Light Sensor.) tongue.gif

Anyway, I kept "the Pendlebury settings" as my starting point. I made only very minor adjustments (their setting, if different, is in parentheses). I couldn't be happier with this picture--and I am so glad I didn't spring another $2k for 4K. From a viewing distance of seven feet, I honestly can't tell the difference in picture quality.

The discs I watched while making up my tweaking mind: Lincoln (lots of dark scenes and clothing with various textures and dark colors), Lawrence of Arabia (bright, sunny desert scenery and lots of whites), Disney World Of Wonder (color and calibration aids), Ratatouille (sharp, colorful, and quick-moving animation), Gigi (an older movie; but still very colorful), and Broken Trail (outdoor scenes galore). And finally, the Planet Earth and Samsara discs (just because they're awesome). Also, my living room is pretty much totally dark, aside from vertical blinds, which are closed during the day. However, I found these settings very acceptable for daytime Over-The-Air HDTV, too!

Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 5 (4)
Picture: 87
Brightness: 50
Color: 54 (50)
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1 (Warm 2)
Sharpness: 52 (50)
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Video Area Detection: Off, greyed out
Resolution: Min, greyed out
Noise Filtering: Min, greyed out
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off (Auto)
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: +1
Detail Enhancer: Off (?)
Edge Enhancer: Off (?)
Skin Naturalizer: Off, greyed out (?)
Display Speed Preference: Off, greyed out

Settings
Picture & Display
Screen: Full, On, Off, Off, Full Pixel
PRO Picture Setup: SBM On (I made no other PRO Picture Setup mods.*)

Preferences
Eco
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Sync: Off
Light Sensor: Off (?)

*On my Sony BDP-S790, SBM was also On by default (which meant SBM was turned On in BOTH settings). Therefore--being unsure what effect that might have on picture processing--I turned SBM Off on the BDP-S790.

Again, a BIG THANKS to CNET's Pendlebury for "doing the hard work" to establish his initial settings! I hope my mods look good to someone out there, too. Enjoy your KDL-55W900A...I know I'm gonna enjoy mine! biggrin.gif
rsims89 likes this.
post #3707 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post

For the past week I've been fiddling with the settings, and I take back any negative thing I may have said about "the Pendlebury settings" (CNET). (It turned out I just forgot to turn off the Light Sensor.) tongue.gif

Anyway, I kept "the Pendlebury settings" as my starting point. I made only very minor adjustments (their setting, if different, is in parentheses). I couldn't be happier with this picture--and I am so glad I didn't spring another $2k for 4K. From a viewing distance of seven feet, I honestly can't tell the difference in picture quality.

The discs I watched while making up my tweaking mind: Lincoln (lots of dark scenes and clothing with various textures and dark colors), Lawrence of Arabia (bright, sunny desert scenery and lots of whites), Disney World Of Wonder (color and calibration aids), Ratatouille (sharp, colorful, and quick-moving animation), Gigi (an older movie; but still very colorful), and Broken Trail (outdoor scenes galore). And finally, the Planet Earth and Samsara discs (just because they're awesome). Also, my living room is pretty much totally dark, aside from vertical blinds, which are closed during the day. However, I found these settings very acceptable for daytime Over-The-Air HDTV, too!

Advanced Settings
White Balance

Settings
Picture & Display

Preferences
Eco

*On my Sony BDP-S790, SBM was also On by default (which meant SBM was turned On in BOTH settings). Therefore--being unsure what effect that might have on picture processing--I turned SBM Off on the BDP-S790.

Again, a BIG THANKS to CNET's Pendlebury for "doing the hard work" to establish his initial settings! I hope my mods look good to someone out there, too. Enjoy your KDL-55W900A...I know I'm gonna enjoy mine! biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting. I will give your settings a try tomorrow and I will let you know what I think.smile.gif
post #3708 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I also gave the CNET settings a try.

For the most part I kept them, decreased brightness from 50 to around 45, enabled motionflow Impulse and turned backlight to max to compensate.

In a pitch black room, the picture is marvelous. I tried Sin City for example and was blown away by good it looked, really rich, deep blacks and for the opposite side of the spectrum I also tried out the recent Oz movie with Franco and the picture again was incredible, vivid, clear yet natural in a way I've rarely ever seen in an LCD. (I did also try Lawrence of Arabia and was stunned, hope to have an evening with 4 hours set aside to finally watch my bluray copy now)

I find that Impulse Motionflow not only provides the absolute best motion on this TV, (best ive seen on any LCD actually) but even helps with black levels. Of course its not the best setting for daytime, but ive yet to fine tune a day time setting...

Also regarding live color, i used to keep it on at low, but found that it actually negatively impacts black levels. I recommend keeping it off for film.

donottosmeok likes this.
post #3709 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Advanced Settings
White Balance

Settings
Picture & Display

Preferences
Eco

What does the sbm settings do?
post #3710 of 4984 Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCor71 View Post

Here is where I learned about SBM and what it can do for video (http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/19/hands-on-with-sonys-super-bit-mapping-and-hd-reality-enhancer-technology/). According to the article, SBM helps "solve the old problem of gradients (the "banding" effect) not appearing smooth as they naturally should." SBM reduces or eliminates that "banding" effect. Apparently, SBM can also be used in audio to create "smoother" digital sound.
post #3711 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 AM

T
Quote:

Here is where I learned about SBM and what it can do for video (http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/19/hands-on-with-sonys-super-bit-mapping-and-hd-reality-enhancer-technology/). According to the article, SBM helps "solve the old problem of gradients (the "banding" effect) not appearing smooth as they naturally should." SBM reduces or eliminates that "banding" effect. Apparently, SBM can also be used in audio to create "smoother" digital sound.

Thank you, I'll go read about it.
post #3712 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCor71 View Post

Thanks for posting I will have to read about it. Tried your settings by the way and they were good but I went back with the settings done by Tom Norton over at Sound and Vision Mag. I used his settings with a few tweaks of my own and I think I got my set pretty much dialed in to where I want it to be. But again your settings were good and again thanks for sharing them. smile.gif
donottosmeok likes this.
post #3713 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.201AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.001AAA:
•Improved performance and stability of the Internet features
•Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
•Provides the latest support for the Hulu™ online video service

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.201AAA:
•Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
•Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection

OK guys this is the new firmware update we got from Sony last month for the W900A. Can someone please explain why Sony would update the tv to 2.0 compatibility when that spec only supports 4K tv models only? And they say with the update the tv now supports 4K 60p? I'm confused as hell about this and I aint getting ANY help from Sony Customer support to explain it either, they seem as dumb founded about it as I am if that's possible. So if anyone can answer my 2 questions I am all ears. confused.gif
post #3714 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.201AAA) provides the following benefits:

Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
•Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection

OK guys this is the new firmware update we got from Sony last month for the W900A. Can someone please explain why Sony would update the tv to 2.0 compatibility when that spec only supports 4K tv models only? And they say with the update the tv now supports 4K 60p? I'm confused as hell about this and I aint getting ANY help from Sony Customer support to explain it either, they seem as dumb founded about it as I am if that's possible. So if anyone can answer my 2 questions I am all ears. confused.gif

I think the answer is in the wording they used:

And the second sentence is not its own bullet point, but an explanation of the bullet point above it.

They're not going to provide 4K support to 1080p sets (even if they could) because they wouldn't be able to extract $3000 out of your wallet then!. wink.gif
donottosmeok likes this.
post #3715 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting I will have to read about it. Tried your settings by the way and they were good but I went back with the settings done by Tom Norton over at Sound and Vision Mag. I used his settings with a few tweaks of my own and I think I got my set pretty much dialed in to where I want it to be. But again your settings were good and again thanks for sharing them. smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment, steve1971, and you're welcome. smile.gif I tried "the Norton settings," too. Actually, I tried "the Norton settings," "the Pendlebury settings," "the andremal settings," "the blueknigh7 settings," "the mule65 settings," "the xitman settings," and, of course, "the fresh-out-of-the-box settings," lol tongue.gif

It's fun to experiment with settings, for sure. Thanks again, and enjoy. smile.gif
post #3716 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Quote:

I think the answer is in the wording they used:

And the second sentence is not its own bullet point, but an explanation of the bullet point above it.

They're not going to provide 4K support to 1080p sets (even if they could) because they wouldn't be able to extract $3000 out of your wallet then!. wink.gif

I didn't think they would provide 4K support to the W9 but whats the point of providing HDMI 2.0 to the set when it aint going to able to take advantage of the spec? Makes no sense to me but it is what it is I guess.
post #3717 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:

I didn't think they would provide 4K support to the W9 but whats the point of providing HDMI 2.0 to the set when it aint going to able to take advantage of the spec? Makes no sense to me but it is what it is I guess.

They aren't providing HDMI 2.0 support to the W900A. They're providing it only to models that support 4K, which doesn't include the W900A.
post #3718 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post

Quote:

They aren't providing HDMI 2.0 support to the W900A. They're providing it only to models that support 4K, which doesn't include the W900A.

Ah you're wrong there. I talked with Sony support and with the update the W900 now supports HDMI 2.0.
post #3719 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Liked: 17
Does thoes this mean that the W900 can now do 3D at 1080p 60hz instead of only 720p 60z or 1080p 24hz?
post #3720 of 4984 Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post

Does thoes this mean that the W900 can now do 3D at 1080p 60hz instead of only 720p 60z or 1080p 24hz?

I didn't ask Sony support anything about that I just inquired about the latest update and about the HDMI 2.0 spec and if indeed its supported by the W900 and indeed it now is. No it don't upgrade the W9 to 4K and no one should believe it would but lets be honest with the PQ being is good as it is on the W9 I don't have any need for 4K. biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page