post #361 of 5089 Old 05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post

Wondering when this TV is going to be widely available... Still not available on Amazon, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc.
It's available, just call Crutchfield they quoted me a price today on the phone w/ an extended warrenty. I think the sites aren't updated yet. Also PC Richards can order it for you. I called them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5089 Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post

Wondering when this TV is going to be widely available... Still not available on Amazon, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc.

Seems like it's widely available, as of this afternoon. I see it in stock at Amazon, B&H, Abt, TigerDirect, and of course Sony, where it's been for a while...
post #363 of 5089 Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

They got the W900 on display in Brooklyn (across Barclays Center) at PC Richards today. Salesman called me because he knew i really want it. I'd love to see it but I'm heading out of town!
post #364 of 5089 Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM

I've got some other info from Taiwan website. They said :-

W950A : glass panel ( but not Gorilla ), S-LCD S-PVA/PSA, MotionFlow XR960
( replacing HX850 )

W900A : non-glass panel, S-LCD S-PVA/PSA, MotionFlow XR960
( the spec. is in-between HX850 and HX750 )

W800A : non-glass panel, LG S-IPS, MotionFlow XR480
( replacing HX750 )
post #365 of 5089 Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is the W950A a Asia only model?
post #366 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Plasma may not count for you. But all of the features you list above are Plasma strong points. IR is less and less of an issue every year. The F8500 has LED brightness levels with motion processing that put's ANY LED to shame. They certainly each have their weaknesses, but in this case it should be a contender. Not trying to start a plasma vs. LED thing here, but I don't think you can say it doesn't count. It should be a serious consideration for any buyer.

For people looking at LCD only, plasmas doesn't count. Based on 2 different plasmas I tried last year, I would never game on one. That's asking for trouble.
post #367 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylc2288 View Post

I've got some other info from Taiwan website. They said :-

W950A : glass panel ( but not Gorilla ), S-LCD S-PVA/PSA, MotionFlow XR960
( replacing HX850 )

W900A : non-glass panel, S-LCD S-PVA/PSA, MotionFlow XR960
( the spec. is in-between HX850 and HX750 )

W800A : non-glass panel, LG S-IPS, MotionFlow XR480
( replacing HX750 )

what does "non-glass panel" mean?

Boky
post #368 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
I've been watching Amazon for days and when I posted this, it still was only a pre-order item. It seems within minutes of my post, it was released. Looking this morning, yes it's for sale and no longer a pre-order item. Best Buy still not carrying it yet, but I would expect that to change. I'm sure they could special order it for you.
post #369 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Boky

I think he means monolithic.
The only differences between the w950 and w900 are speakers, and Design (monolithic, rounded corners and thinness).
The w900 replaces the hx850. The w950 is a weird hybrid of them both(plus thinner) , that will only be in asia, I believe only China.
post #370 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Speaker,

I can tell you I purchased the new vt60 and had image retention every time I used it. It was mild and did go away but it was there and annoying.

Two issues here about that beast in particular:
  • Seems to me I've heard mutterings here and there that the VT60 had issues that drove people back to the VT50. I find that very interesting.....
  • I have to wonder if there are sometimes towers of achievement that have as a fatal flaw an increase in bad TVs suitable for return. That is, when they're good they're great, but the slight increase in bad experiences get a disproportionate increase of attention.

That said, count me in as someone who wants a plasma, but will never ever get one for fear of kicking myself later.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #371 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM

W950A is using glass panel similar to Corning Gorilla
( some said come from Sharp similar to those used on Sharp LX9 series )

All other models are not using glass panel i.e other materials normally used on the front of the panel
post #372 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbydon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Boky

THAT is a term that is being used in a couple different ways. It can mean a TV that extends downward to a base that connects the entire width of the panel. Looking like the monolith on 2001 A Space Odyssey. (No legs). It's also starting to mean the facing glass that covers all or nearly all of the panel, making it look as if the bezel is either extremely thin or non-existent. That last meaning is irking me.

IN ANY CASE, I think what he means is glass vs. plastic. My 550 for instance has a very very soft screen that produces (albeit partially matte) reflections of the room that are slightly wavy. Does not affect PQ as far as I can tell, but it's off-putting to put the pressure of a fly landing on it and see screen effects.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #373 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM

I was using "monolithic" as glass that is edge to edge.

I assumed the w900a still had a glass panel, but i guess it does not.
post #374 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbydon View Post

The only differences between the w950 and w900 are speakers, and Design (monolithic, rounded corners and thinness).
The w900 replaces the hx850. The w950 is a weird hybrid of them both(plus thinner) , that will only be in asia, I believe only China.

Yes, the major differences between W95 and W90 are speakers and panel ( described as Opti-Contrast panel by Sony )
But there is one more major difference : W95 is made in Japan while W90 is made in ? ( maybe Malaysia )
In mainland China, it is another story : all three models ( W95, W90, W80 ) are made in China ( technically should be modular assembled in China ) which will not be exported anyway.
post #375 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Speaker,

I can tell you I purchased the new vt60 and had image retention every time I used it. It was mild and did go away but it was there and annoying.

Did you run any break-in slides? You can counter the issues of new panel sensitivity by running them to help alleviate the issue you speak of. I had a 58V10 for a while and did not experience any issues with IR while gaming. I also know quite a few people that game on plasma's with no IR problems. The issue of IR with plasma is largely overblown. Case in point, there are people on this very thread that are "scared" to buy a plasma because of what they have heard. My recommendation is to try it, you just may be surprised. Just run the slides if you want to game right away.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #376 of 5089 Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Considering all 2013 plasma models have input lag numbers higher than this set, this is a pretty great TV for gamers to consider. Especially fans of fighting games that need as little input lag as they can get.
post #377 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 AM

Hi Everyone, I want to buy w905 led tv. How about input lag in game without game mode? This question very important for me. Please reply.
post #378 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan06 View Post

Hi Everyone, I want to buy w905 led tv. How about input lag in game without game mode? This question very important for me. Please reply.

It's 30ms+

Why wouldn't you want to game in game mode? Input lag sucks when gaming and the more you have of it, the worse you're going to do in games. Plus, it'll change your perception of the actual game itself. Some games do not take kindly to input lag and you'll be very turned off by the game. Play it on a set with little lag and it'll be a whole different game. Online or offline, it's important to have as little lag as you can.

If you're worried about picture, it isn't going to be a drastic change in game mode. Chances are you'll probably never notice it because the color pallet of video games is quite different from television/movies.
post #379 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

It's 30ms+

Why wouldn't you want to game in game mode? Input lag sucks when gaming and the more you have of it, the worse you're going to do in games. Plus, it'll change your perception of the actual game itself. Some games do not take kindly to input lag and you'll be very turned off by the game. Play it on a set with little lag and it'll be a whole different game. Online or offline, it's important to have as little lag as you can.

If you're worried about picture, it isn't going to be a drastic change in game mode. Chances are you'll probably never notice it because the color pallet of video games is quite different from television/movies.

Well sometime you just plain suck at a game and need something else to blame so switching out of game mode could help with that tongue.gif
post #380 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Just noticed that this set is available from Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com) for $2,332.99. While I don't know about ordering a TV from them, they are on the list of sites Amazon will price match, and since it's selling for $2,800 everywhere else, it seems like a good opportunity to save $467.
post #381 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

So funny I saw this as well!!!! It seems too good to be true. I was just in the process of checking out but
Wanted to see if this was legit! How does one go about getting amazon to price match?
post #382 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Speaker,

Did you run any break-in slides? You can counter the issues of new panel sensitivity by running them to help alleviate the issue you speak of. I had a 58V10 for a while and did not experience any issues with IR while gaming. I also know quite a few people that game on plasma's with no IR problems. The issue of IR with plasma is largely overblown. Case in point, there are people on this very thread that are "scared" to buy a plasma because of what they have heard.

That statement doesn't follow. Of COURSE people form their decisions about TVs based largely on what they hear. You'd be a complete idiot not to. Gauging a TV even partially by reviews (professional and personal experiences) is precisely that and completely sensible.

Quote:
My recommendation is to try it, you just may be surprised. Just run the slides if you want to game right away.

Yep, it's usually critical. When you dive deep into what the plasma cells are actually doing at the physics level, you realize you almost always need to get them going for a while in a very controlled way before subjecting them to potentially burning patterns. Some try to shortcut this by watching nothing but full 16:9 content (absolutely no LB or PB) for a while first, but I'd say that's probably a mistake.

That said, the people who complain about this happening aren't all newcomers to the panel world and have followed the (even 200 hour!) instructions. Not all panels are "ok" out the gate.

post #383 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

So funny I saw this as well!!!! It seems too good to be true. I was just in the process of checking out but
Wanted to see if this was legit! How does one go about getting amazon to price match?

I'm pretty sure you can just call as soon as you've placed your order.
post #384 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going for it-leap of faith! Their prices are too good to pass up. Got 25% off a new receiver as well!
post #385 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Did you run any break-in slides? You can counter the issues of new panel sensitivity by running them to help alleviate the issue you speak of. I had a 58V10 for a while and did not experience any issues with IR while gaming. I also know quite a few people that game on plasma's with no IR problems. The issue of IR with plasma is largely overblown. Case in point, there are people on this very thread that are "scared" to buy a plasma because of what they have heard. My recommendation is to try it, you just may be surprised. Just run the slides if you want to game right away.

I tried both an ST50 and a Samsung 7000 plasma last year, and ran the break-in slides for 100 hours before use for both sets, and yet I had very noticeable image retention on both sets. I couldn't imagine gaming on either set. I don't think IR is overblown at all - it's a serious, ongoing concern with plasmas, regardless of what plasmas lovers say.
post #386 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Quote:

I tried both an ST50 and a Samsung 7000 plasma last year, and ran the break-in slides for 100 hours before use for both sets, and yet I had very noticeable image retention on both sets. I couldn't imagine gaming on either set. I don't think IR is overblown at all - it's a serious, ongoing concern with plasmas, regardless of what plasmas lovers say.

And THIS particular argument (either side) has been fought and fought and fought 1000 times in AVS with no white flag yet flown (or ever will be)....

post #387 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan06 View Post

WHY? Have your game connect to its own HDMI port, and your settings (including game mode) will apply to that port.

post #388 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of which: HDMI allows it's own source identification in its handshaking, no? Can a TV theoretically apply a game mode to a signal originating from a game (even if everything comes in through the HDMI receiver, and then into a single HDMI port on the TV)?

post #389 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Speaking of which: HDMI allows it's own source identification in its handshaking, no? Can a TV theoretically apply a game mode to a signal originating from a game (even if everything comes in through the HDMI receiver, and then into a single HDMI port on the TV)?

The HDMI handshake "discovers" the capabilities of the source and display devices as far as resolution capability and usually color space, along with copy protection, but doesn't have a provision for telling the tv to change picture modes for different devices using the same tv input as in your scenario. This might be possible to do at the receiver if it has video processing options that can be set per input on the receiver. My Onkyo has a "game" mode in it's video processing but I've never checked to see if it's per input or universal, not much of a gamer.

Steve S.
post #390 of 5089 Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post

Well sometime you just plain suck at a game and need something else to blame so switching out of game mode could help with that tongue.gif
I thought the W900 had much lower lag around 6-10ms. HDTVTEST.COM confirmed it no?

"To put the numbers that have been captured using the high-speed camera/ digital timer method into context, the input lag on the fastest Panasonic and Samsung plasmas – which we used to routinely recommend as the best gaming HDTVs owing to an unbeatable combo of low lag and high motion resolution – was 16ms. The Bravia KDL55W905A came in at 8ms, which is 50% less. The previous record holder was incidentally another Sony, namely the entry-level V4000 LCD television on which we couldn’t detect any lag at all back in 2008. The baton has been passed on, and this is something hardcore gamers everywhere should celebrate".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page