Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalfantasykid View Post

I bought 2 of the Antec 55 inch bias lighting, and they work great when plugged into the usb. When the TV turns off the bias lighting turns back on briefly, but they eventually turn off (after maybe 10 seconds). It must just be part of the TV's shutdown routine.

Perfect, thank you. You like the look of those lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM

They perform pretty well when there are no lights on. You could probably get by with just one strip, but I decided to get two since my wall is a pretty dark brown (old 60's style fake wood paneling...), so the bias lighting isn't nearly as effective. If you have a much lighter wall like a light grey, a single strip would probably be enough. But the strips are reasonably priced (I got mine super cheap here http://www.computers-canada.ca/store/products/1027015803/HDTV%20Bias%20Lighting/Antec/), you might just want to get two just in case, or you could use the second on another set.
post #3873 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Liked: 14
Finally got chance to setup my W900 which I received 2-3 weeks ago from sony store. I was waiting in new tv cabinet from Costco.

Ran few panel test from Disney wow disk. No issues such as dead pixel, clouding or nonuniformity panel etc.

Haven't fully calibrated yet. But I can say this set rocks...WOW out of the box with dish HD, PS3, PS4 and bluray.

Pics coming shortly.
post #3874 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Finally got chance to setup my W900 which I received 2-3 weeks ago from sony store. I was waiting in new tv cabinet from Costco.

Ran few panel test from Disney wow disk. No issues such as dead pixel, clouding or nonuniformity panel etc.

Haven't fully calibrated yet. But I can say this set rocks...WOW out of the box with dish HD, PS3, PS4 and bluray.

Pics coming shortly.

Congratulations! With no dead pixels or uniformity issues you should end up with an amazing picture!

What is the build date of your tv? It's at the bottom center of the serial number sticker on the back.
Thanks

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #3875 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Congratulations! With no dead pixels or uniformity issues you should end up with an amazing picture!

What is the build date of your tv? It's at the bottom center of the serial number sticker on the back.
Thanks

Dec 2013.
I ordered it on Feb 20th and delivered on February 28th.
l...h likes this.
post #3876 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Dec 2013.
I ordered it on Feb 20th and delivered on February 28th.

That's good. I'm pretty sure they stopped making these in January 2014 so yours is one of the latest builds. I also set mine up using the wow disk so I'm looking forward to seeing what your settings are.

post #3877 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:

That's good. I'm pretty sure they stopped making these in January 2014 so yours is one of the latest builds. I also set mine up using the wow disk so I'm looking forward to seeing what your settings are.

I haven't calibrated yet, just using default setting. I ran few panel test to make sure there are no issues with the panel.

Here are the few pics I took.

steve1971 likes this.
post #3878 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Very nice! The picture on these sets is so good! Let us know what your settings are when you finish calibrating.

post #3879 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

what color temp did you use while doing this?
post #3880 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Well got my set all calibrated this morning and what is surprising to me is that the settings that were dialed in were practically the same as the ones Tom Norton used to calibrate the W9 reviewed at Sound And Vision.Com. My set looks fabulous I will say that. The guy who calibrated my set dialed in everything via CalMan SpectraCal plus some other tools and it took a little over 3 1/2 hours to do. Settings on the W9 out of box look excellent but after calibration they are out of this world and I will go on record to say that the PQ and black levels are the best I have ever seen on an HDTV and that includes Plasma's as well, yes I just said that and is only my opinion mind you. There are a few adjustments I asked to be left on such as the Eco Sensor, Black Corrector set to low (Even though it don't need it!), and Reality Creation and Motionflow (My Preferences) because I just like the look of the picture when those are on. Otherwise that's it and I can FINALLY say I have the tv I have wanted and have been looking for. Size, PQ, Black Levels, perfection in every area you name it. Sony's W9 is all I could have asked for in a tv. My advise to anyone out there is get your tv Calibrated if possible because it does indeed make one hell of a big difference.
l...h likes this.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #3881 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 05:45 PM

I purchased this tv as an open item but it was missing the screws that go in to the base. Where can I find replacements? Does anyone have the exact screw type? I could not find it in the manual.
post #3882 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsims89 View Post

what color temp did you use while doing this?

Warm1 in Cinema setting.

post #3883 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Well got my set all calibrated this morning and what is surprising to me is that the settings that were dialed in were practically the same as the ones Tom Norton used to calibrate the W9 reviewed at Sound And Vision.Com. My set looks fabulous I will say that. The guy who calibrated my set dialed in everything via CalMan SpectraCal plus some other tools and it took a little over 3 1/2 hours to do. Settings on the W9 out of box look excellent but after calibration they are out of this world and I will go on record to say that the PQ and black levels are the best I have ever seen on an HDTV and that includes Plasma's as well, yes I just said that and is only my opinion mind you. There are a few adjustments I asked to be left on such as the Eco Sensor, Black Corrector set to low (Even though it don't need it!), and Reality Creation and Motionflow (My Preferences) because I just like the look of the picture when those are on. Otherwise that's it and I can FINALLY say I have the tv I have wanted and have been looking for. Size, PQ, Black Levels, perfection in every area you name it. Sony's W9 is all I could have asked for in a tv. My advise to anyone out there is get your tv Calibrated if possible because it does indeed make one hell of a big difference.

Congratulations on the calibration, it sounds like it turned it really well. Could you post some of your settings? Maybe the ones that are most differebt from tbe norton settings and your white balance numbers?

Thanks

post #3884 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Congratulations on the calibration, it sounds like it turned it really well. Could you post some of your settings? Maybe the ones that are most differebt from tbe norton settings and your white balance numbers?

Thanks

I..h I will post my settings tomorrow for you to make comparisons to your settings. Like the Calibrator who did my tv said not everyone's settings will be the same due to room lighting conditions ect so your settings may not work well on mine and vise versa. Calibrations are specific to each tv if that makes any sense at all. But again what totally shocked me is how close the settings after calibration matched Tom Norton's over at Sound And Vision so Tom knows what he's doing and he should after calibrating and reviewing TV's over the years. But I will post the calibrated settings on my tv tomorrow. smile.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #3885 of 5082 Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Thanks. Yeah, the reason I posted white balance settings for both my tv's was to illustrate that each set may need different settings to achieve the same picture.

I also started out with the Norton settings when I got my first w900a and they were great starting point.

post #3886 of 5082 Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 AM

Liked: 19
I am getting this set delivered today.

Is there some best settings for this set?
post #3887 of 5082 Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 AM