Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Member
 
ben805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Man....watching HD pr0n on this W9 TV is really something you have to see to believe. Its so darn vivid like you were in Amsterdam watching live performance shows!
steve1971 likes this.
ben805 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Member
 
EJ11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post


EJ11,
Thanks for the info. FWIW I think buying it from a Sony Store is the best way to go if there is one near you.

Someone here said a couple of weeks ago that Bestbuy was in the process of returning their remaining inventory to make way for the 2014 models. Maybe that's what Sony stores are getting. Or maybe there are still new ones already in Sony's inventory.

Either way I hope you get one of the best ones they made. These are really nice tvs. The newest build date I have heard of is 01/2014. That's the build date of mine. Let us know how it goes!

l..h,

If vendors are returning the sets in bulk then I would be hesitant to assume the Sony Store is receiving recently manufactured sets, but considering the fact that sony's 2014 line-up hasn't hit Best Buy, I'd gamble that they simply choose to sell through their inventory and that going with the Sony Store is likely still the best option. 

EJ11 is offline  
post #4053 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Member
 
l...h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ11 View Post

l..h,
If vendors are returning the sets in bulk then I would be hesitant to assume the Sony Store is receiving recently manufactured sets, but considering the fact that sony's 2014 line-up hasn't hit Best Buy, I'd gamble that they simply choose to sell through their inventory and that going with the Sony Store is likely still the best option. 

I absolutely ageee. And I hope some people who have recently gotten their w900's will post the build dates so we'll have an idea if they have manufactured them since Jan 2014.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
l...h is offline  
post #4054 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Member
 
bigwali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post

See, I feel exactly the same way as you my friend. I've bought and returned 3 TVs in the past 1.5 years. I'm not at all skeptical of online merchants - Amazon is really excellent & will even pay for your return shipping if you can't wait around for UPS to pick your TV up. Also they've got a much better return policy than Best Buy's 14 days.

But I'm very skeptical of a $1700 TV unless it's essentially perfect. I just wish we could go back to the days of CCFL.

So, I've heard a lot of really glowing reviews in this thread and also a lot of really iffy / disappointed uniformity comments. Should I take the plunge?

I would take the plunge. In my opinion, this is one of the top TV's of the last several years not including full array, plasma or 4K sets. Don't go looking too hard for faults and you probably won't find them. If you are obsessed with checking every little detail, then you could be disappointed. I have a Dec. 2013 manufacture date and the W900A has a beautiful picture. I haven't seen any flash lighting, banding, fingers, or clouding on this panel.
steve1971 likes this.
bigwali is offline  
post #4055 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Okay moment of truth! Went looking for dem fingers but the TV looks pretty solid to me. The little pink in the photo doesn't look that way on screen in person. My W9 was manufactured in May. I bumped up LEd dynamic control to standard. I'm running the spears disk through my PS4.
steve1971 likes this.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #4056 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Okay moment of truth! Went looking for dem fingers but the TV looks pretty solid to me. The little pink in the photo doesn't look that way on screen in person. My W9 was manufactured in May. I bumped up LEd dynamic control to standard. I'm running the spears disk through my PS4.

Look's very good from the pic's you posted, in fact it looks just like mine. Ran another all white test on mine looking once again for the "finger" issue and now to my eye and the wife's they are not there when I swore I could see them very very faintly the other night! I don't know but I aint looking anymore because my W9 is a killer. Just watched Life Of Pi and oh my god the colors and detail just popped and seemed to jump off the screen! This is the best movie experience I have seen on a tv and I haven't even watched Avatar in 2D or 3D on it yet! I consider Avatar a reference quality Blu ray and a great demo disc to show off any great top of the line tv. That being said its no surprise that Sony is extending production on the W9 for a little bit longer. And why wouldn't they? Its an excellent seller and there is a demand for it.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4057 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks Steve! I haven't watch Avatar (yet) on the W9 either but I did see Pacific Rim in 3D and was blown away! Give that a look see and tell me you're not impressed. biggrin.gif
steve1971 likes this.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #4058 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Thanks Steve! I haven't watch Avatar (yet) on the W9 either but I did see Pacific Rim in 3D and was blown away! Give that a look see and tell me you're not impressed. biggrin.gif


I will definitely give it a look. Thanks buddy.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4059 of 4891 Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
dazeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Anyone found the best settings for gaming (xbox one) tv's and movies seems perfectly fine on the stock settings, but gaming seems a bit meh. Other then that loving this new tv!

dazeld is offline  
post #4060 of 4891 Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Newbie
 
JoelArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeld View Post
 

...but gaming seems a bit meh. Other then that loving this new tv!

What is is you don't like gaming wise. This is hands down the number one gaming TV on the planet. If you want: low input lag (19 ms) + deep blacks + accurate colors.

 

Have you set up your RGB dynamic range correctly on both TV and XB1?

 

TV: Menu> Settings> Display> Video Input Settings> Dynamic Range> HDMI to FULL

XB1: Settings> Display & Sound> Picture> Color Space> change to rgb full

helvetica bold and steve1971 like this.
JoelArt is offline  
post #4061 of 4891 Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Newbie
 
acinchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please help me sort through the following buying options for the W900a, prices below reflect all savings I can avail through discounted GCs I have, cashback etc

Option A: $1450 + tax SonyStore new item
Option B: $1540 + tax Amazon new item
Option C: $1300 + tax Amazon warehouse/repackaged (still have to check what warranty Sony will give on this vs Amazon's customer friendly policies on replacement
.
I am debating who will give me better service and replacement options, if I run into issues with the unit
a. Sony if I buy directly with them
-or-
b. Amazon since they have very customer friendly policies and I am a prime customer as well.

Also I am not in a hurry to get this but would definitely like this model before it sells out.
Will there likely be better pricing a month or two from now since this is being phased out?

decisions, decisions, ... smile.gif

BTW it will be replacing a Sony KDL-46NX700 in our living room, which we will move to the master bed.
wasoha likes this.
acinchus is offline  
post #4062 of 4891 Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by acinchus View Post

Please help me sort through the following buying options for the W900a, prices below reflect all savings I can avail through discounted GCs I have, cashback etc

Option A: $1450 + tax SonyStore new item
Option B: $1540 + tax Amazon new item
Option C: $1300 + tax Amazon warehouse/repackaged (still have to check what warranty Sony will give on this vs Amazon's customer friendly policies on replacement
.
I am debating who will give me better service and replacement options, if I run into issues with the unit
a. Sony if I buy directly with them
-or-
b. Amazon since they have very customer friendly policies and I am a prime customer as well.

Also I am not in a hurry to get this but would definitely like this model before it sells out.
Will there likely be better pricing a month or two from now since this is being phased out?

decisions, decisions, ... smile.gif

BTW it will be replacing a Sony KDL-46NX700 in our living room, which we will move to the master bed.

I would go with A: Sony. That's what I did even though I paid a little bit more then you would be. But it was money well spent and I have zero regrets.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4063 of 4891 Old 03-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Member
 
1000 Umbrellas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Okay moment of truth! Went looking for dem fingers but the TV looks pretty solid to me. The little pink in the photo doesn't look that way on screen in person. My W9 was manufactured in May. I bumped up LEd dynamic control to standard. I'm running the spears disk through my PS4.
It's very faint but they're there, as are mine. The impact to real content is practically nil. Build date NOV 2013 btw.
steve1971 likes this.
1000 Umbrellas is offline  
post #4064 of 4891 Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Newbie
 
dazeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
 

What is is you don't like gaming wise. This is hands down the number one gaming TV on the planet. If you want: low input lag (19 ms) + deep blacks + accurate colors.

 

Have you set up your RGB dynamic range correctly on both TV and XB1?

 

TV: Menu> Settings> Display> Video Input Settings> Dynamic Range> HDMI to FULL

XB1: Settings> Display & Sound> Picture> Color Space> change to rgb full


The color looked washed out or wasn't dark enough in some games, i just discovered the "game mode"that i read a couple pages back that fixed it up straight away, pretty handy instead of changing settings all the time. Also haven't got those settings set so i'll do that now thanks. Now it's perfect :)

steve1971 likes this.
dazeld is offline  
post #4065 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Member
 
aridneptune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I would go with A: Sony. That's what I did even though I paid a little bit more then you would be. But it was money well spent and I have zero regrets.

I'm curious: why? Sony seems to have a horrific return policy (restocking fee?!). Amazon does ship the TV, but they make returns / exchanges a breeze.
aridneptune is online now  
post #4066 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I would go with A: Sony. That's what I did even though I paid a little bit more then you would be. But it was money well spent and I have zero regrets.

I'm curious: why? Sony seems to have a horrific return policy (restocking fee?!). Amazon does ship the TV, but they make returns / exchanges a breeze.


Why? Because anything I ever got from Sony didn't seem to have the issues that I ran into when I bought something from Best Buy ect. And if I had to return anything I never had an issue with them, ever. Now I don't know much about Amazon because I have never done business with them but you can give them a try because I have heard good things about them as well. Its up to you.
acinchus likes this.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4067 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Member
 
aridneptune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Why? Because anything I ever got from Sony didn't seem to have the issues that I ran into when I bought something from Best Buy ect. And if I had to return anything I never had an issue with them, ever. Now I don't know much about Amazon because I have never done business with them but you can give them a try because I have heard good things about them as well. Its up to you.

Really? Don't they charge a restocking fee for returns? I live in NYC and there's a physical Sony Store very close to me, so picking it up would not be a problem.
aridneptune is online now  
post #4068 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Why? Because anything I ever got from Sony didn't seem to have the issues that I ran into when I bought something from Best Buy ect. And if I had to return anything I never had an issue with them, ever. Now I don't know much about Amazon because I have never done business with them but you can give them a try because I have heard good things about them as well. Its up to you.

Really? Don't they charge a restocking fee for returns? I live in NYC and there's a physical Sony Store very close to me, so picking it up would not be a problem.
.


When ordering online they never charge me a re-stocking fee. I wish they had a Sony store here in MN!
steve1971 is offline  
post #4069 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Newbie
 
acinchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the feedback on buying from Sony or Amazon.

From my past interactions with Sony on the XBR models, they offered a great deal on replacement, but I dont recollect the experience being as friendly as Amazon.

I will visit the Sony store locally to determine my next steps but I continue to welcome additional thoughts specially about possibly buying the warehouse/repackaged model from Amazon and also the possibility of price going considerably ($150 plus) lower due to the phase out anticipated.
acinchus is offline  
post #4070 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Member
 
l...h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I was told by a BB Magnolia rep in the store today that the w900a is back in the computer until 2015. He wanted one himself and said they were discontinued so he was going to buy their display unit, but then it went back live in the computer so he couldn't get the same discount. There weren't any in inventory on his computer though.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
l...h is offline  
post #4071 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Member
 
EJ11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

When I visited the Sony Store earlier this week, the guy I spoke with told me they had ended their policy of charging restocking fees due to customer feedback. So long as you return everything in good condition, you should be fine. If, for whatever reason, your local Sony Store says otherwise, just remind them that BB has done away with the practice and you'd be more comfortable buying the set with some peace of mind (politely of course).

EJ11 is offline  
post #4072 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bull3964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

I was told by a BB Magnolia rep in the store today that the w900a is back in the computer until 2015. He wanted one himself and said they were discontinued so he was going to buy their display unit, but then it went back live in the computer so he couldn't get the same discount. There weren't any in inventory on his computer though.

Interesting. I wonder if the negative reviews of the w950b has spooked Sony into keeping this TV around.
bull3964 is online now  
post #4073 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

I was told by a BB Magnolia rep in the store today that the w900a is back in the computer until 2015. He wanted one himself and said they were discontinued so he was going to buy their display unit, but then it went back live in the computer so he couldn't get the same discount. There weren't any in inventory on his computer though.

Interesting. I wonder if the negative reviews of the w950b has spooked Sony into keeping this TV around.

Either that I...h or the W9 is just that good, which it is in my book, and its in high demand. That being said glad to hear that its going to be around for awhile. Funny thing is its never happened with any other high end Sony tv that I am aware of.
steve1971 is offline  
post #4074 of 4891 Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Either that I...h or the W9 is just that good, which it is in my book, and its in high demand. That being said glad to hear that its going to be around for awhile. Funny thing is its never happened with any other high end Sony tv that I am aware of.

I dont think you can get much better PQ out of LCD than the w900a, I just wish it came in larger sizes! mad.gif
springs113 likes this.
*UFO* is offline  
post #4075 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Newbie
 
michaelsammler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am watching Madagascar on bluray. I was wondering if anyone used the anime setting, instead of cinema 1 or 2?
(It is possible it is a setting only available on the Japanese sets.)
I turned off all the extra processing and turned down the sharpness a bit, and anime looks pretty good.
Thanks for any tips anyone has.
michaelsammler is offline  
post #4076 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Member
 
EL Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with an xbox one fancy sharing some settings? Got the ps4 looking good but having trouble getting black detail on the xbox
EL Duke is offline  
post #4077 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Newbie
 
dazeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I'm using just "game mode" for the xbox one, it was to bright or washed out on standard but that did the job for me without any other settings.

dazeld is offline  
post #4078 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Either that I...h or the W9 is just that good, which it is in my book, and its in high demand. That being said glad to hear that its going to be around for awhile. Funny thing is its never happened with any other high end Sony tv that I am aware of.

I dont think you can get much better PQ out of LCD than the w900a, I just wish it came in larger sizes! mad.gif


I think that was a big mistake on the part of Sony UFO. Why Sony chose not to have the W9 come in a 65inch size is beyond me. No but what do they do? They release the W850A in a 65inch size and that set is pretty much a W9 clone only bigger and without the black panel or the Quantum Dot tech. Does it makes sense to you? It sure don't to me. rolleyes.gif
steve1971 is offline  
post #4079 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I posted this over on the X850 thread " have the Light Senor on on my W9 and to be honest I don't think the Senor being on or off makes a difference. The PQ is excellent on or off daystar5 on my W9. Now if someone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Light Senor makes PQ suffer being on then I would like to hear it. And until someone out there can prove it mine stays on and if it helps extend the life of the tv and saves money then that's even better." I wait to hear your guy's response on what I posted tongue.gif
steve1971 is offline  
post #4080 of 4891 Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I was hoping for a full array version of the W9. Imagine how glorious that would be! But the closet thing availabe is the top of the line X950B 4K right? I wonder how that will be reviewed or when it will come out. I'm not spending 8K on a TV. :/ But right now I could care less about 4K.
steve1971 likes this.
helvetica bold is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off