Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

To be fair the Advanced Contrast Enhancer can make the image look more attractive. But it's an incorrect image, it tells a lie from what the intended image is supposed to look like. Human eyes find contrast attractive at first glance and a lot of TV setting in the stores has overly strong contrast and saturation. You don't get something for nothing and the price to pay is loss of nuances when everything is always maxed out. It exaggerates contrast in images that weren't supposed to have it, if the source material is good. I would personally only use it as a way to compensate bad source material, but hey, I can agree it looks good at first. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post

To be fair the Advanced Contrast Enhancer can make the image look more attractive. But it's an incorrect image, it tells a lie from what the intended image is supposed to look like. Human eyes find contrast attractive at first glance and a lot of TV setting in the stores has overly strong contrast and saturation. You don't get something for nothing and the price to pay is loss of nuances when everything is always maxed out. It exaggerates contrast in images that weren't supposed to have it, if the source material is good. I would personally only use it as a way to compensate bad source material, but hey, I can agree it looks good at first. smile.gif

I called the guy who calibrated my tv and he is going to come over tomorrow and take a look at my tv to tell me what he thinks. I respect and trust his views and if he says its not right then he will re-do the settings for me at no charge. I will let everyone know what happens.

confused.gif
helvetica bold likes this.
post #4143 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hello. I just recently purchased the 55w900a. While waiting for it to ship, I wanted to prepare myself for running all the necessary tests to detect any issues like flashlighting, clouding, dead/stuck pixels, fingers, screen uniformity, and banding. I am a complete newbie when it comes to TV's and this is my first purchase. I've read most of the 130+ pages to learn a little about these issues but still don't know much. If anyone could please provide the information on running these tests on my new tv and what to look for, I would be most grateful. I've heard there are a few test videos on YouTube?
post #4144 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Liked: 10

hey, just got this tv and well pleased.  First time posting here as moved from the UK and usually post on AVForums.

But I'm trying to play region b dvds through a PS3.  I've not changed the region on the PS3 since coming to the UK, and have been able to play region B blurays on other TVs.  But when I try on this I get a loading thing (or some trailers) then I get the error 'No signal'.

Does anyone know what this could be?  Could my PS3 changed region coding?  If I get a region free bluray player will I have the same problem?

post #4145 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsims89 View Post

These are pretty much the settings I have decided to stick with (I'm very indecisive when it comes to settings), but I have read numerous times to turn the advance contrast enhancer to off. Why is that? Have you kept your settings the same and if so what changes have you made? Thanks:)

rsims89, thanks for the "thumbs up." It was interesting and fun to experiment with everyone's settings, since I had an uncalibrated, out-of-the-box set. What was (to me) most interesting is that I tried all the settings I mentioned earlier, before finding out it was Pendlebury's settings--the ones I tried first--that actually pleased me the most. In the future, I will never forget one thing: before adjusting anything, turn off the stupid Light Sensor. rolleyes.gif

I've been led by most reviewers to believe that as much "unnecessary processing" as possible should be left Off. For me, that advice has given generally good results. However, in this case, when it came to the Advanced Contrast Enhancer, I set it at Medium. (I couldn't see a dramatic difference between Off and Medium. However, I figured that since mine was not calibrated and Pendlebury's was, his settings were probably closer to "how the picture should look." And since it did look very good to me, I went with Medium.)

Since adjusting those settings, I've made no other changes and I've been very happy with the picture. Loving my big screen! smile.gif
post #4146 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I thought the same thing "helvetica bold". But to my eye the blacks don't look crushed at all but that's just me and I could be wrong. But I find it hard to believe a guy like Ty Pendlebury, and with all his experience in calibrating TV's for Cnet would have it turned on if it indeed did. But every review I have read says not to have it on and its the first Sony tv I have owned that I have had it on! But if it works it works and who am I to question a guy like Ty Pendlebury with all the experience he has?. Funny thing is I had 2 of my friends over today and one of them swore my W9 was a 4K TV and was stunned when I told him it wasn't. biggrin.gif

lol, I wondered the same thing about blacks; but using the WOW disc convinced me that there was no crush. I was initially disappointed with Pendlebury's settings (they seemed awfully dark!), so I carried on and tried about half a dozen other peoples' adjustments. It wasn't until I went through the last one that I finally realized I hadn't turned off the Light Sensor. Eesh...lol. So, I went back to Pendlebury's a second time, and...eek.gif Happiness! biggrin.gif
post #4147 of 4911 Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

To be fair the Advanced Contrast Enhancer can make the image look more attractive. But it's an incorrect image, it tells a lie from what the intended image is supposed to look like. Human eyes find contrast attractive at first glance and a lot of TV setting in the stores has overly strong contrast and saturation. You don't get something for nothing and the price to pay is loss of nuances when everything is always maxed out. It exaggerates contrast in images that weren't supposed to have it, if the source material is good. I would personally only use it as a way to compensate bad source material, but hey, I can agree it looks good at first. smile.gif

Hiya,
I actually agree with this. I did a lot of experimentation with each and every setting on this Sony for 2 or 3 months before I really settled down. While there were olympics and skiing in HD I just saw that shadows on snow. This was totally un-natural with advanced contrast enabled. It maybe is a bit attractive on a first bite, but sure this kind of snow with shadows and over expressed bumps was not, so I turned it off. I also receive more details in dark areas if I leave it off.

best d.
JoelArt likes this.
post #4148 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I actually saw no negative effects with it set to Low. I tried it after reading one of the professional reviewers comment about the same--that unlike many advance picture options, setting it to low had no discernible negative effects.
post #4149 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok here's an update. The guy who calibrated my set just left so I thought I would let others know what he said and thought of the Pendlebury settings. He liked them but the only thing he suggested is to turn off the Light Senor! eek.gif I gave him the whole speel about it saving me money electric bill wise and how it prolongs the life of the tv and he said that was all hogwash! He said if I want to save money on the power bill just leave the Power Saving on Low but the Light Senor only Optimizes brightness according to ambient light and nothing else. He said "I told you to turn it off before but you said no!", stupid me I guess right? But again he thought the Ty Pendlebury settings were very nice and if that's what I liked then it was great, he even refunded part of what I paid him biggrin.gif. One last thing about Advanced Contrast Enhancer. He said normally he would suggest to leave it off because of it crushing Blacks but he saw none of that on my tv so he said to leave it on if I prefer. So that all being said Ty's settings were approved by a Pro Calibrator so that satisfies me but how I could have been so mislead by the Light Sensor thing is beyond me. Oh well yet another lesson learned in this hobby I love so much. smile.gif
post #4150 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

I actually saw no negative effects with it set to Low. I tried it after reading one of the professional reviewers comment about the same--that unlike many advance picture options, setting it to low had no discernible negative effects.

That's were I now have mine wth. ACE set to low.
post #4151 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Liked: 26
Hi I have a 65W850a which by all accounts is a close relative to this tv. Am wondering what these Pendlebury settings are and if they might be useable on my set. I must admit I also shy wawa from settings like black enhancers and advanced contrast. .....but if the experts show no loss of shadow detail I am game

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
post #4152 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

Hi I have a 65W850a which by all accounts is a close relative to this tv. Am wondering what these Pendlebury settings are and if they might be useable on my set. I must admit I also shy wawa from settings like black enhancers and advanced contrast. .....but if the experts show no loss of shadow detail I am game

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hi doc,

Pendlebury is a guy who does television reviews for CNET website. If you search for w900a you will find his review and calibration settings. You may also find he has reviewed the set you have. It's all good information about the tech, anyway.

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
post #4153 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 12
What is going on with the availability with this tv? Amazon has no more and Sony store is on back order???? I have been debating returning my set and getting a new one that has less uniformity issues, but now Amazon is out??? Anyone know anything?
post #4154 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Ok here's an update. The guy who calibrated my set just left so I thought I would let others know what he said and thought of the Pendlebury settings. He liked them but the only thing he suggested is to turn off the Light Senor! eek.gif I gave him the whole speel about it saving me money electric bill wise and how it prolongs the life of the tv and he said that was all hogwash! He said if I want to save money on the power bill just leave the Power Saving on Low but the Light Senor only Optimizes brightness according to ambient light and nothing else. He said "I told you to turn it off before but you said no!", stupid me I guess right? But again he thought the Ty Pendlebury settings were very nice and if that's what I liked then it was great, he even refunded part of what I paid him biggrin.gif. One last thing about Advanced Contrast Enhancer. He said normally he would suggest to leave it off because of it crushing Blacks but he saw none of that on my tv so he said to leave it on if I prefer. So that all being said Ty's settings were approved by a Pro Calibrator so that satisfies me but how I could have been so mislead by the Light Sensor thing is beyond me. Oh well yet another lesson learned in this hobby I love so much. smile.gif

Yes you are right in that it doesn't crush blacks or whites in the essence that you loose information. But it does applies some sort of smart gamma "s-curve" enhancement. it basically makes medium dark darker, and medium brights brighter. In essence compressing the original middle portion of the images luminance range into a more narrow range. So even tough you are not losing any information in the darks and brights, you are still loosing/upsetting the natural luminance range of medium shades. It's especially nasty with skin tones in making them look a bit plastic/muddy.

1 Go here http://pasidor.com/Media/Calibration_Chart.png

2 Press F11 on the browser and zoom in on the girl. DO NOT leave any WHITE of the browsers background present as it will have a diminishing effect.*

3 Then toggle between High and Off in the Adv. Contrast Enhancer to see the horrible effect on skin.

* The effect does take in to account what's on the screen and adjust the effect accordingly.

Above reasons is why I don't use this effect. But if you like the look, by all means use it. I just wanted you to be aware that it does indeed skew the source away from the ideal image in a negative way and how.

steve1971 and delfincek like this.
post #4155 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ok here's an update. The guy who calibrated my set just left so I thought I would let others know what he said and thought of the Pendlebury settings. He liked them but the only thing he suggested is to turn off the Light Senor! eek.gif I gave him the whole speel about it saving me money electric bill wise and how it prolongs the life of the tv and he said that was all hogwash! He said if I want to save money on the power bill just leave the Power Saving on Low but the Light Senor only Optimizes brightness according to ambient light and nothing else. He said "I told you to turn it off before but you said no!", stupid me I guess right? But again he thought the Ty Pendlebury settings were very nice and if that's what I liked then it was great, he even refunded part of what I paid him biggrin.gif . One last thing about Advanced Contrast Enhancer. He said normally he would suggest to leave it off because of it crushing Blacks but he saw none of that on my tv so he said to leave it on if I prefer. So that all being said Ty's settings were approved by a Pro Calibrator so that satisfies me but how I could have been so mislead by the Light Sensor thing is beyond me. Oh well yet another lesson learned in this hobby I love so much. smile.gif

Yes you are right in that it doesn't crush blacks or whites in the essence that you loose information. But it does applies some sort of smart gamma "s-curve" enhancement. it basically makes medium dark darker, and medium brights brighter. In essence compressing the original middle portion of the images luminance range into a more narrow range. So even tough you are not losing any information in the darks and brights, you are still loosing/upsetting the natural luminance range of medium shades. It's especially nasty with skin tones in making them look a bit plastic/muddy.

2 Press F11 on the browser and zoom in on the girl. DO NOT leave any WHITE of the browsers background present as it will have a diminishing effect.*
3 Then toggle between High and Off in the Adv. Contrast Enhancer to see the horrible effect on skin.

* The effect does take in to account what's on the screen and adjust the effect accordingly.

Above reasons is why I don't use this effect. But if you like the look, by all means use it. I just wanted you to be aware that it does indeed skew the source away from the ideal image in a negative way and how.

Thanks for the link you posted and I checked it out. You are right and I see what you mean. And heres another thing I found out and that is for some reason the Pendlebury settings just dont seem right. I dont know what it is but the colors just dont seem right. Colors seem over saturated and now blacks seem to be too black, crushed if you will. I am also looseing shadow detail in some scenes. So what I am going to do is go back to my calibrated settings which thank god I wrote down and saved. I gotta go with what looks good to my eye and what was programmed for my set.

**Update** Just went back to my calibrated settings, turned ACE off and presto! What a difference and my tv is back to normal. biggrin.gif
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4156 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke8568 View Post

What is going on with the availability with this tv? Amazon has no more and Sony store is on back order???? I have been debating returning my set and getting a new one that has less uniformity issues, but now Amazon is out??? Anyone know anything?

Looks as though Amazon is sold out but Sony should have more in soon. Sorry to say stock on the W9 is drying up fast and its up in the air on whether Sony will indeed keep them on the market through 2014 even though they said they would.
WhiteSands likes this.
post #4157 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Did the test and see very little difference between Off and Low. Then again, I'm not using the CNet settings.
post #4158 of 4911 Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Did the test and see very little difference between Off and Low. Then again, I'm not using the CNet settings.

Ah yes, the Low setting isn't that aggressive, it's kind of alright.  But the problem with these kind of image enhancement filter are generally that they don't help much at all, they almost always, at the expense of the problem it tries to alleviate, incur some other form of degradation to the image .

They often either try to artificially restore lost information or smooth over compression and noise artifacts from poor quality sources (VHS, Cable). They aren't totally crap but my rule of thumb is to apply them with moderation/low setting. Sharpness, Color, Noise reduction, Smoothing and Reality Creation is actually quite alright in low amounts.

So my simple rule of thumb is to first acquire a good source, eg Bluray or very high quality rips. If it's not possible then use these filter effects in a way to bandage the images poor quality.

Tough I use Smooth Gradation in game mode at times, some games get banding in smooth gradient, a blue sky for instance. This is a short coming of the game and can be smoothed out with out much detriment to the image over all.

And sharpness and Reality Creation is okay in small amounts on 720p sources or other wise blurry details.

delfincek likes this.
post #4159 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Where can I find this settings and is this for the EU or US version? smile.gif
post #4160 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
He liked them but the only thing he suggested is to turn off the Light Senor! eek.gif I gave him the whole speel about it saving me money electric bill wise and how it prolongs the life of the tv and he said that was all hogwash! He said if I want to save money on the power bill just leave the Power Saving on Low but the Light Senor only Optimizes brightness according to ambient light and nothing else. He said "I told you to turn it off before but you said no!", stupid me I guess right?

Why should you turn on Power Saving and turn off the Light Sensor? The Power Saving setting adjusts the brightness, which is bad, as the optimal brightness picture setting is around 50. Enabling Power Saving will result in loosing details. The Light Sensor only adjusts the backlight (not the brightness) according to the ambient light which I think is much more useful then lowering the brightness via Power Saving.

The Light Sensor is very useful if you use your TV for watching in a living room, where you watch tv during daylight and during evening. I don't want to adjust the backlight manually every day so I enabled the Light Sensor. Just turn it on in the evening in your normal viewing enviroment and adjust the backlight to what it fits best to your eye. The next day when you watch tv during daylight, the backlight will be automaticcaly adjustet to the brighter viewing enviroment, resulting in a brighter backlight during day and a dimmed backlight during evening.

So turning off the Light Sensor only makes sense, if you really only watch in a dark or bright viewing enviroment. But for constantly changing ambient conditions I would recommend turning on the Light Sensor...or adjust the backlight every time manually ;)

post #4161 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 AM

Liked: 30
Folks, here is Pendlebury's settings for the W900A. I pretty much use similar settings but not exactly. I prefer my backlight to be around 6-7. And for sports, I set Scene Select to the Sports setting and tweek the Pendlebury settings to achieve the look I want. Start with these settings but adjust for your environment and what your eyes tell you.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-593595/sony-kdl-55w900a-picture-settings/
post #4162 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dende82 View Post

Quote:

He liked them but the only thing he suggested is to turn off the Light Senor! eek.gif I gave him the whole speel about it saving me money electric bill wise and how it prolongs the life of the tv and he said that was all hogwash! He said if I want to save money on the power bill just leave the Power Saving on Low but the Light Senor only Optimizes brightness according to ambient light and nothing else. He said "I told you to turn it off before but you said no!", stupid me I guess right?

Why should you turn on Power Saving and turn off the Light Sensor? The Power Saving setting adjusts the brightness, which is bad, as the optimal brightness picture setting is around 50. Enabling Power Saving will result in loosing details. The Light Sensor only adjusts the backlight (not the brightness) according to the ambient light which I think is much more useful then lowering the brightness via Power Saving.

The Light Sensor is very useful if you use your TV for watching in a living room, where you watch tv during daylight and during evening. I don't want to adjust the backlight manually every day so I enabled the Light Sensor. Just turn it on in the evening in your normal viewing enviroment and adjust the backlight to what it fits best to your eye. The next day when you watch tv during daylight, the backlight will be automaticcaly adjustet to the brighter viewing enviroment, resulting in a brighter backlight during day and a dimmed backlight during evening.

So turning off the Light Sensor only makes sense, if you really only watch in a dark or bright viewing enviroment. But for constantly changing ambient conditions I would recommend turning on the Light Sensor...or adjust the backlight every time manually wink.gif

Well first and for most I dumped the Cnet settings and went back to my calibrated settings. Second I have Power Saving set to low and my Light Sensor is set to on due to during the day the room its in is bright even with the shades pulled. I see no difference in PQ with either set to on or off. Its all a matter of personal preference and what looks good to your eye's. There is no right or wrong but I will say this and I learned this over the last 2 days and that is nothing beats a Professionally Calibrated tv. You want the very best PQ your tv can produce? Get it Calibrated. I know it may cost some money but the benefits will pay for itself. Just my thoughts.
post #4163 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

Folks, here is Pendlebury's settings for the W900A. I pretty much use similar settings but not exactly. I prefer my backlight to be around 6-7. And for sports, I set Scene Select to the Sports setting and tweek the Pendlebury settings to achieve the look I want. Start with these settings but adjust for your environment and what your eyes tell you.

Ty's settings are a good starting point but you may need to do some tweaking of the settings depending on where your tv is located, living room, bed room ect.
bigwali likes this.
post #4164 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sony might not be using QD Vision (IQ Color) as a supplier for its 2014 models.
http://global.ofweek.com/news/Red-phosphor-powder-used-in-making-high-color-gamut-TVs-8077
post #4165 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:

Ty's settings are a good starting point but you may need to do some tweaking of the settings depending on where your tv is located, living room, bed room ect.

Good point. Another thing that I do is setup different settings using Scene Select. By using Scene Select, I setup 3 different settings to my liking and switch them depending on the programming. "General" for general TV programming, "Cinema" for Blu Ray movies, and "Sports" for watching sports. I like a more dynamic and punchy display for sports viewing. For Cinema, I prefer a more natural looking appearance and under General, just very slightly brighter and sharper than Cinema.
post #4166 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Sony might not be using QD Vision (IQ Color) as a supplier for its 2014 models.
http://global.ofweek.com/news/Red-phosphor-powder-used-in-making-high-color-gamut-TVs-8077

If true that would be yet another bad decision on the part of Sony.
post #4167 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
These are in and out of stock at amazon, but looks like they raised to price up to +$1900 frown.gif. Guess I'll just wait
post #4168 of 4911 Old 04-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtophoto View Post

These are in and out of stock at amazon, but looks like they raised to price up to +$1900 frown.gif. Guess I'll just wait
I was at a BestBuy in Manhattan yesterday and saw the W900A listed for $1,600.
post #4169 of 4911 Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

They are for the US version right?

Anyone have some good EU settings with ECO on? smile.gif
post #4170 of 4911 Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 AM

Liked: 48
Check out Scott Wilkinson's very helpful article explaining the w900a's Triluminous tech and Quantum Dots posted here on AVS Forums :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1525588/smpte-qd-vision-webinar-explains-quantum-dot-illumination

"TV... is there anything it doesn't know?" - Homer Simpson
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page