Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum
First ... 146  147  148 149  150  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 06:15 PM 04-26-2014
Thank god I got my Av Receiver back yesterday! Couldn't take the sound coming from my W9's speakers any longer! If there is one weakness in my W9 it was the sound. No matter what adjustments I tried to make to the audio was not very good at all. It will be the last time I ever use my TV's built in audio.

snakzz's Avatar snakzz 01:24 AM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Its the last one snakzz. smile.gif

Why does it have sharpness 10?

That looks like ****, and it only stands see text?

Cant see anything :S

And is picture and contrast in the settings the same?
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 10:37 AM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

Quote:

Its the last one snakzz. smile.gif

Why does it have sharpness 10?

That looks like ****, and it only stands see text?

Cant see anything :S

And is picture and contrast in the settings the same?

I have my Sharpness set at 50 snakzz. I know Tom Norton over at Sound And Vision says "See Text" about why he has the W9 set at 10 for Sharpness and there is no explanation as to why he has it set at that! And there is no text!!! It has me scratching my head for sure why he wrote that. For me though Sharpness at 50 is where I like it.
seawolf06's Avatar seawolf06 10:49 AM 04-27-2014

Just purchased this set and trying to get the settings right. You're discussing Norton's settings so I wanted to ask why he has all of the "features" turned off? Isn't that the point of buying a nice high end set like this? Without reading through all 148 pages, what feature settings are most of you using with this set? I'm getting a lot of ghosting and pixilation through Netflix during high action scenes, but haven't yet checked if it's the connection or not.

Also, when I check the display, it reads out 480 SD or less, even though the Netflix movie is HD and even looks HD. I'm upgrading from an old Vizio 720P LCD set with a Roku 2 and although the picture wasn't nearly as good, I didn't have either of these issues.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or feedback.

snakzz's Avatar snakzz 01:06 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:

I have my Sharpness set at 50 snakzz. I know Tom Norton over at Sound And Vision says "See Text" about why he has the W9 set at 10 for Sharpness and there is no explanation as to why he has it set at that! And there is no text!!! It has me scratching my head for sure why he wrote that. For me though Sharpness at 50 is where I like it.

Ye I was like on 10 for 1 week and it looked ugly. So I decided to check this out..

I found no reason why to keep it at 10 :S
helvetica bold's Avatar helvetica bold 07:22 PM 04-27-2014
I am really curious about Sony's 2014 color tech. However I'm happy I bought the 2013 model.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12wfrbxvnvzgxpkv22xwzewvvnjxpyfu
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 08:36 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

I am really curious about Sony's 2014 color tech. However I'm happy I bought the 2013 model.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12wfrbxvnvzgxpkv22xwzewvvnjxpyfu

Thanks for the article. This is one big mistake by Sony that I hope dont come back to bite them in the rear down the road. Using the Quantum Dot tech was a smart move on their part and its what makes TV's like the W9 special. Glad I own one.
PureHazard's Avatar PureHazard 08:42 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:

Thanks for the article. This is one big mistake by Sony that I hope dont come back to bite them in the rear down the road. Using the Quantum Dot tech was a smart move on their part and its what makes TV's like the W9 special. Glad I own one.

I think they're trying to push the enthusiasts to their 4K offerings while cheaping out and getting the masses to pick up their "flagship" and lower 1080p ones. Not necessarily a bad strategy if their brand is big enough that the name will sell to the masses.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 08:54 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post

Quote:

I think they're trying to push the enthusiasts to their 4K offerings while cheaping out and getting the masses to pick up their "flagship" and lower 1080p ones. Not necessarily a bad strategy if their brand is big enough that the name will sell to the masses.

Sony has been trying to push enthusiasts to 4K for awhile and there is no sign that its working to my knowledge. I have nothing against 4K but I just dont see the justification on buying a 4K tv when 4K material is so very very limited. Plus the spec's for 4K haven't even been close to being finalized as of yet and there's no telling of when it will be anytime soon. Will a 4K tv someday replace my W9? Someday maybe but not anytime soon. I am going to stick with my W9 until no longer works or burns out and I hope that dont happen for a very long time.
ph00p's Avatar ph00p 01:22 AM 04-28-2014
Is there any good settings for the audio on the tv to make it more bassy and less hollow sounding? Or is that that for the tv? I'm using the cinema sound setting for a few 3d movies with DTS, I'd appreciate any input.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:14 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post

Is there any good settings for the audio on the tv to make it more bassy and less hollow sounding? Or is that that for the tv? I'm using the cinema sound setting for a few 3d movies with DTS, I'd appreciate any input.

ph00p there is no "good" settings that will make a TV's built in sound good. Trust me I know because I had to use my W9's built in speakers for a week while my AVR was being fixed. I tried everything but I was not happy with any of the settings I tried. If there is one weakness of the W9 it's the built in speakers. But lets face it not a lot of flat panel TV's have good built in speakers so that's why I suggest a Sound Bar or a full Surround Sound System to complement your tv and a beautiful tv such as the W9 deserves it if you can fit it into your budget.
ph00p's Avatar ph00p 09:18 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:

ph00p there is no "good" settings that will make a TV's built in sound good. Trust me I know because I had to use my W9's built in speakers for a week while my AVR was being fixed. I tried everything but I was not happy with any of the settings I tried. If there is one weakness of the W9 it's the built in speakers. But lets face it not a lot of flat panel TV's have good built in speakers so that's why I suggest a Sound Bar or a full Surround Sound System to complement your tv and a beautiful tv such as the W9 deserves it if you can fit it into your budget.

I've got a full AVR but some of the movies I watch have DTS in them and we all know this TV outputs DTS as stereo PCM to the AVR.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 09:46 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post

Quote:

I've got a full AVR but some of the movies I watch have DTS in them and we all know this TV outputs DTS as stereo PCM to the AVR.

So you have your tv running to your AVR via a digital cable? Or do you have it hooked up using an HDMI cable? I have my tv hooked up to my AVR via HDMI so I can hear Dolby True HD and DTS HD for Blu ray. HDMI is the way to go unless you have an older AVR that don't support HDMI.
naturewindchen's Avatar naturewindchen 10:16 AM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by snehal View Post

I am just concerned about the performance of these two... Are they similar ?
Also when I checked through diagnostic menu ( i --> 5 --> Vol- --> power ) it shows the following:

03006 725 03093

am worried that i got a demo piece.

please help and clear my doubts.

I think you get a demo TV.

03006 《----hours of power on

725 <----times of power on

03093 <----total hours of power on

my english is not so good, please do not mind!
georaldc's Avatar georaldc 10:44 AM 04-28-2014
Got lucky last weekend. With a random best buy visit, I found out that the guy who bought the last w900a display unit a few hours before I got the chance to inquire about it 1 week ago just cancelled his order. So I snagged the thing right away and now have this with everything included (stand, glasses, remotes, no visible scratches or anything) for around 1200.

Don't know how good of a deal that was but I've been having a really tough time tracking this TV down and every other open box unit was either missing stuff or had scratches on them.

Now on to my question lol. Is it possible to hook up my PC to this and take advantage of my videocards 3d function? I have an nvidia gpu and was wondering if I could use 3d vision with this TV
ph00p's Avatar ph00p 10:52 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by georaldc View Post

Now on to my question lol. Is it possible to hook up my PC to this and take advantage of my videocards 3d function? I have an nvidia gpu and was wondering if I could use 3d vision with this TV

This is kinda what my audio question was about, I've been fooling around with it, but getting the 3d movies to work requires shoehorning in the 120hz resolution on the tv, and it may or may not work, I haven't tried it yet, but articles suggest setting your PC to having only one display(the TV) and then adding 120hz 1080p resolution.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 12:03 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by georaldc View Post

Got lucky last weekend. With a random best buy visit, I found out that the guy who bought the last w900a display unit a few hours before I got the chance to inquire about it 1 week ago just cancelled his order. So I snagged the thing right away and now have this with everything included (stand, glasses, remotes, no visible scratches or anything) for around 1200.

Don't know how good of a deal that was but I've been having a really tough time tracking this TV down and every other open box unit was either missing stuff or had scratches on them.

You got it for $1200? That's a sweet deal if you ask me! Congrats. smile.gif
delfincek's Avatar delfincek 01:34 AM 04-29-2014
I use this TV to watch 3D movies through my HTPC that has ATI HD5750 graphic card installed (4 years old now). All is working perfectly. I use XBMC as a player. I recently watch this title which I recommend for some breathtaking 3D effects: The Art of Flight (2011)

best, d.
mrvtec's Avatar mrvtec 02:25 AM 04-29-2014

hey guys have had this TV since Boxing Day last year, just starting to see in the center on a white screen there is a brownish white patch, shall i send this in for repair under warranty 

heres a picture

i got the KDL-55W905A

thanks

steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:29 AM 04-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvtec View Post

hey guys have had this TV since Boxing Day last year, just starting to see in the center on a white screen there is a brownish white patch, shall i send this in for repair under warranty 

heres a picture

i got the KDL-55W905A

thanks

Sorry but from the photo you posted I don't see a thing wrong with the tv. Could be my eye's I don't know. But if you send that photo to Sony they will say the same thing.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 08:26 AM 04-29-2014
For those interested the W9 is back in stock on Sony's website for $1,999.99. Here we are at the end of April and the W9 is still being sold and on some sites on back order which means more will arrive. To me it says a lot of how good the W9 is and how they are still in demand biggrin.gif. But get them while you can because who knows how long it will be before Sony pulls the plug on one their best TV's made in years.
Van Wildonher's Avatar Van Wildonher 12:32 PM 04-29-2014
mrvtec, I see what you're talking about but I don't know if Sony will help you.
Fruitta's Avatar Fruitta 01:12 PM 04-29-2014
It's telling that the replacement model, 950b is already marked as on sale by Sony so soon after its debut and there are hardly any positive reviews available.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 01:33 PM 04-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvtec View Post

heres a picture

i got the KDL-55W905A

thanks

Ok now I see it. Give Sony a call and see what they can do.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 01:36 PM 04-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitta View Post

It's telling that the replacement model, 950b is already marked as on sale by Sony so soon after its debut and there are hardly any positive reviews available.

Gee the 950B is already on sale so soon after its release? That should tell people about the set.
rgb32's Avatar rgb32 01:40 PM 04-29-2014
Quote:

I seem to recall it was a month or two before sony dropped the price of the W900A from $3,299 to $2,299?

I played around with a W950B last weekend. It's definitely a step down from the W900A! eek.gif Even though the BGR sub-pixels were horizontally aligned, the W950B gave a scan-line effect that I found to be strange. The black level was also not as good, nor did the color seem to have the same pop or richness that the W900A has.

Hopefully the X950B will be an improvement!
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 05:43 PM 04-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Quote:

I seem to recall it was a month or two before sony dropped the price of the W900A from $3,299 to $2,299?

I played around with a W950B last weekend. It's definitely a step down from the W900A! eek.gif Even though the BGR sub-pixels were horizontally aligned, the W950B gave a scan-line effect that I found to be strange. The black level was also not as good, nor did the color seem to have the same pop or richness that the W900A has.

Hopefully the X950B will be an improvement!

To be honest I feel the reason for the price drop on the W950B is because its a wedge shaped flop and Sony knows it!. They used an inferior panel, abandoned the Quantum Dot technology that goes with Triluminous and to add insult to injury they gave it a wedge shaped design because it supposedly improved the sound. And this was supposed to be the successor to the W900? Give me a break. I also believe Sony didn't really put much effort into the KDL series TV's for 2014 due to they want to push the masses toward's the overly hyped 4K models. Yes I said overly hyped because I believe that's what 4K is but that's another topic altogether. Bottom line is in my book they dropped the ball because they, Sony, could have capitalized on the success of the W9 and made the W950B even better but they didn't care because all they now care about is 4K.
digimat's Avatar digimat 10:24 PM 04-29-2014
Quote:

To be honest I feel the reason for the price drop on the W950B is because its a wedge shaped flop and Sony knows it!. They used an inferior panel, abandoned the Quantum Dot technology that goes with Triluminous and to add insult to injury they gave it a wedge shaped design because it supposedly improved the sound. And this was supposed to be the successor to the W900? Give me a break. I also believe Sony didn't really put much effort into the KDL series TV's for 2014 due to they want to push the masses toward's the overly hyped 4K models. Yes I said overly hyped because I believe that's what 4K is but that's another topic altogether. Bottom line is in my book they dropped the ball because they, Sony, could have capitalized on the success of the W9 and made the W950B even better but they didn't care because all they now care about is 4K.

Quantum Dot is nothing more than a marketing term, according to reviews the Triluminous performs the same if not better than last years.
Tyjo's Avatar Tyjo 01:14 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf06 View Post

Just purchased this set and trying to get the settings right. You're discussing Norton's settings so I wanted to ask why he has all of the "features" turned off? Isn't that the point of buying a nice high end set like this? Without reading through all 148 pages, what feature settings are most of you using with this set? I'm getting a lot of ghosting and pixilation through Netflix during high action scenes, but haven't yet checked if it's the connection or not.

Also, when I check the display, it reads out 480 SD or less, even though the Netflix movie is HD and even looks HD. I'm upgrading from an old Vizio 720P LCD set with a Roku 2 and although the picture wasn't nearly as good, I didn't have either of these issues.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or feedback.

If your netflix doesn't say 720p or higher then your running SD. Check your connection speeds to your router. Also on netflix settings, choose highest quality. This is probably why you see a lot of pixelation.

I run settings very similar settings to Nortons and Cnet but one difference is that I run "clear" motion and "low" live color; It's a personal preference. I also run the settings in "cinema 1" as I noticed it delivers better blacks than other scenes with the same picture settings on my set. In the past, I ran Nortons settings in General Scene (assuming the two scenes would be equal if the settings were the same) until doing a comparison a little while back on a still blu ray scene. Can anyone else confirm this?
clague's Avatar clague 06:02 AM 04-30-2014
Quote:

I also have my sharpness set around 50.

I use a HTPC with Media Center/Media Browser to play back my rips. Video card is an ATI 6450. With the sharpness set to 10 everything though this input is extremely blurry. Oddly, the internal apps like Netflix or the UI are not. I haven't spent any time trying to figure out why but I might try and hook up a different device and try the settings again.
Tags: Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
First ... 146  147  148 149  150  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop