Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
First ... 149  150  151 152  153  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread
l...h's Avatar l...h 06:10 PM 05-03-2014
Here's how to check the hours on your tv.

Start with the tv off, and you have to press the buttons rapidly one at a time. It took me a few tries until I got the speed right.

On the remote press the "Display" button, then the number 5, then Volume down, then power.

When the tv comes on there should be a bunch of stats listed and the hours will be in the lower left hand corner.(see attached photo)

l...h's Avatar l...h 06:20 PM 05-03-2014
Oops, didn't see your reply before I sent that.

A well used demo could be as good as new, and $900 is def very much better than new!!
Luckybum's Avatar Luckybum 06:22 PM 05-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Oops, didn't see your reply before I sent that.

A well used demo could be as good as new, and $900 is def very much better than new!!

LOL, and I edited my post. For those interested, my original reply:

Most likely a well used demo?

Build date Oct 1, 2013

01890-00207-01927

1927 Hours? So, they are open 11 hours/day...175 days of demo? 207 power on's? Guess that's about right considering the build date. Guess I got what I paid for biggrin.gif
kgibbs29's Avatar kgibbs29 09:29 PM 05-03-2014

I thought I would upload a few pic's after finally setting up my new monitor.

KDS-55A3000 (build August 2007) showing the yellow-green hue across the top and now I notice in the bottom right corner.

Price Paid

Self Check screen showing very low usage; 00114-00045-00119.

I have now updated to the latest firmware.

The fantastic screen image and the W900 sitting on the Sony made stand for the A3000 holding my meager A/V setup; DirecTV, Sony PS3 and Sony STR-KS2300 HTiB.

The wife loves the new monitor so much I have received permission to drive 35 miles to another BB, after a Cystic Fibrosis charity walk tomorrow, to check out the quality of their W900.  If it deserves the Excellent rating they have given it, I get to purchase it for the bedroom to replace our KDL-32XBR6 (build November 2008).

cjpk248's Avatar cjpk248 11:21 PM 05-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibbs29 View Post

KDS-55A3000 (build August 2007) showing the yellow-green hue across the top and now I notice in the bottom right corner.

Price Paid

The fantastic screen image and the W900 sitting on the Sony made stand for the A3000 holding my meager A/V setup; DirecTV, Sony PS3 and Sony STR-KS2300 HTiB.

The wife loves the new monitor so much I have received permission to drive 35 miles to another BB, after a Cystic Fibrosis charity walk tomorrow, to check out the quality of their W900.  If it deserves the Excellent rating they have given it, I get to purchase it for the bedroom to replace our KDL-32XBR6 (build November 2008).

Great wife.

steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:38 AM 05-04-2014
Quote:

Price Paid

Very nice! My second W900 should arrive this coming week. Nothing wrong with having 2 W9's. If your wife is allowing you to get another one then I say do it! biggrin.gif
Luckybum's Avatar Luckybum 03:17 PM 05-04-2014
I'll probably need a second wife before I get another W9...hopefully one with less hours:D
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 04:32 PM 05-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybum View Post

I'll probably need a second wife before I get another W9...hopefully one with less hours:D

You'll probably need a second wife before you get another W9? Lol. My wife didn't bat an eye when I told her I ordered another one. She knows how much I love this hobby and knows how much of a perfectionist I am. That being said the reason again I ordered another W9 was due to the hours on it, which aint much, but to many for a supposedly new tv. Otherwise my W9 is an excellent tv.
kgibbs29's Avatar kgibbs29 09:08 PM 05-04-2014

Ok, so I now have the second W900A; no scratches, dents or missing parts.  But I am now trying to decide if I should get over buyers remorse.  BB in my area has the 55W802A on clearance for $999.99 brand new in the box.  Which I was originally going to purchase and park it in the family room.  This would allow me to move the W900 to the master bedroom.  Well the wife just loves GoT on the W900 (much complaining about having suffered watching the first 3 seasons on the such a crappy display; A3000) and wants a W900 for the family room if one is going to be in the bedroom.

The buyers remorse is due to not getting extremely lucky as I did on the first purchase.  Manager dropped the price to $1150 (this store's price was higher than the other BB) after looking at self check.  Manager explained the set had lived on the display wall top row.  No one had touched it since it was placed there.  I was the first to touch the remotes (still in sealed bag).

04285 - 00022 - 04286 ; Build Date Oct 2013

From these numbers, the set was turned on during the first few days of November 2013 and left on 24/7 for around 180 days straight.

As the wife says, "First World Problems."

steve1971's Avatar steve1971 07:24 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:

Ok, so I now have the second W900A; no scratches, dents or missing parts.  But I am now trying to decide if I should get over buyers remorse.  BB in my area has the 55W802A on clearance for $999.99 brand new in the box.  Which I was originally going to purchase and park it in the family room.  This would allow me to move the W900 to the master bedroom.  Well the wife just loves GoT on the W900 (much complaining about having suffered watching the first 3 seasons on the such a crappy display; A3000) and wants a W900 for the family room if one is going to be in the bedroom.

The buyers remorse is due to not getting extremely lucky as I did on the first purchase.  Manager dropped the price to $1150 (this store's price was higher than the other BB) after looking at self check.  Manager explained the set had lived on the display wall top row.  No one had touched it since it was placed there.  I was the first to touch the remotes (still in sealed bag).

04285 - 00022 - 04286 ; Build Date Oct 2013

From these numbers, the set was turned on during the first few days of November 2013 and left on 24/7 for around 180 days straight.

As the wife says, "First World Problems."

kgibbs I would put the W9 in the family room and return the one you just got for the W802A and move that into the master bedroom. That's just way to many hours on your second set and to much of a risk if you ask me, that is unless BB offered you a good warranty. But if it were me this is what I'd do.
snakzz's Avatar snakzz 08:13 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

@snakzz

look for the: i+ button ; it is right from SEN.

best, d.

00038 00048 00038
kgibbs29's Avatar kgibbs29 08:15 AM 05-05-2014

1st W900 - Purchased 3 year BB warranty.  Got it for $160.

2nd W900 - Did not purchased extra warranty, but I do get the regular 12 month Sony warranty.

Wife's First World Problem solution is if 2nd W900 craps out take it back to BB where 1st W900 was purchased and put against 3 year warranty.  Her thought is with that many hours if it's going to crap out it will definitely do so before the 3 years is up.  And she wasn't willing, after the charity event, to go back the 35 miles to where we started and then go another 60 miles to check out another W900.

As consolation she did let me get a new sound bar for the bedroom; HC-CT660 (currently $265 on Amazon brand new, she preferred the metal feel over the cloth of the 260 and the new Sony bars.)  And she want a new HTiB for the family room (BDV-N8100W).

My penance to her for all my recent purchases, I also got new irons and a driver last month, is a Michael Kors purse and a pair of red bottoms.

Updated - Should've added, we didn't go with W802 because after seeing them side-by-side, wife wanted a W900.

l...h's Avatar l...h 10:21 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakzz View Post

00038 00048 00038

Snakzz,
Those are really low numbers! You really ought to watch your TV more, even if you have to be sleep deprived to do it!

"Tv, is there anything it doesn't know?"
Homer Simpson
snakzz's Avatar snakzz 10:40 AM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by l...h View Post

Snakzz,
Those are really low numbers! You really ought to watch your TV more, even if you have to be sleep deprived to do it!

"Tv, is there anything it doesn't know?"
Homer Simpson

Yea, Havent had time to watch so much TV lateley sadly frown.gif
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 08:13 AM 05-06-2014
Well I am doing some house cleaning. Out with the old and in with the new. Not only am I getting a new W9 this week but I have sold off my Pioneer AV receiver as well and upgrading to a new AVR. What brand? I really don't know as of yet but I want to go with one of Sony's high end receivers. I am also going to be getting a whole new speaker set up as well as soon as my wife and I get set up in our new place in Arizona at the end of next month. Right now though I am just looking forward to the arrival of my new W9 this week. Hopefully its better then my current W9 but honestly I don't know how that's possible since they are the same except for the hours on them. But once again change is in there air for 2014. smile.gif
kgibbs29's Avatar kgibbs29 09:15 AM 05-06-2014

Been doing some cleaning myself this week.  I've moved the KDL-32XBR6, I got it Dec 2008, to my 12 year old sons room.  He was using a FD Trinitron to watch TV and a PlayStation TV for PS3 & XBox.

Lots of hours, but the picture is still great.

Any ideas what the 4th set of numbers are; 00000?

evanstylerw's Avatar evanstylerw 10:21 AM 05-06-2014
Question I hope someone can help me answer. I recently hooked my 900a up to my computer via hdmi out of my nvidia 670gtx card. The image is fine but the colors are washed out and there are light bands on both edges of the tv. Also text is harder to read than it should be. I have done some poking around and not found any solid answers as to why this is or how to fix it. It is not my cable and the tv looks superb on other inputs like play station or xbox and movies. Any ideas or people who had a similar issue?

Thanks for help!
wth718's Avatar wth718 10:37 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanstylerw View Post

Question I hope someone can help me answer. I recently hooked my 900a up to my computer via hdmi out of my nvidia 670gtx card. The image is fine but the colors are washed out and there are light bands on both edges of the tv. Also text is harder to read than it should be. I have done some poking around and not found any solid answers as to why this is or how to fix it. It is not my cable and the tv looks superb on other inputs like play station or xbox and movies. Any ideas or people who had a similar issue?

Thanks for help!

You've tried the PC on different HDMI inputs? If it looks the same on different HDMI ports, it's likely some video card setting. A pic of the screen might be helpful.
evanstylerw's Avatar evanstylerw 10:41 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

You've tried the PC on different HDMI inputs? If it looks the same on different HDMI ports, it's likely some video card setting. A pic of the screen might be helpful.

Thanks for your response. Imagine a normal crisp picture and image is fine, especially bright colors, but on darker shots and night scenes the black replication is way off and instead you just have washed out almost grey, like the older early generation LCDs. I can try to post a picture later when I am home. I have tried it in several of the hdmi ports
bucknuts07's Avatar bucknuts07 11:24 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Ah.... I knew I was going to be asked this very question wth because I already had to answer it 3 times today. Here's the reasons. One is because of the black fingers as they call them on an all white screen. Sony is aware of the problem and the guy I talked to said the newer sets are mostly free of the fault if that's believable. It didn't really bother me but I saw them faintly and I'm the type of picky guy that if I see something like that it bugs the crap out of me because I know its there. Also there are times when I notice small white blotches around the screen on an all white screen. I don't see that issue unless I have an all white screen. So that's the second reason. Other then that I have no other issues, none. Perfect screen uniformity, no dead or stuck pixels, nothing. But one other thing that bothers me is the hours of use I pulled up this morning on the tv. I don't watch tv much during the day because I am always busy so for a new tv that I got back in March I believe it should not have that many hours. My wife pointed that out which makes me suspicious. Its not many hours but I know my wife and I didn't watch it that much! But oh well it is what it is and I am not going to complain. When the new W9 arrives hopefully next week, which they say it will, I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb as they say and test it out before they guys even leave which means it better have no dead or stuck pixels. No clouding or flashlighting and I am hoping there is no "fingers" on an all white screen. If there is any of that the new tv goes back! If everything is satisfactory to me then I will either sell my current one or give it to my mother and step father who are looking for a tv. I could have bought the 65 W850A but I passed due to I don't think it has the same quality PQ and black levels of the W9. Its a great set but just not for me.

Make sure that you keep your original, if your current panel has no flashlighting, no clouding, and no dead pixels, and theres not noticable banding, I seriously doubt that your replacement will be any better. I went thru 3, first had dead pixel, but no flashlighting/ clouding. Second , no dead pixels, terrible flashlighting, and third, no dead pixels, no flashlighting, very minimal clouding. That being said, the picture your posted of balnk screen in complete darkness, was completely black, which is nearly impossible to find in an edge lit tv.
wth718's Avatar wth718 12:44 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

Thanks for your response. Imagine a normal crisp picture and image is fine, especially bright colors, but on darker shots and night scenes the black replication is way off and instead you just have washed out almost grey, like the older early generation LCDs. I can try to post a picture later when I am home. I have tried it in several of the hdmi ports

Could very well be a player issue. What player are you using? Try the same files in something simple like Windows Media Player to see if the same thing happens.
evanstylerw's Avatar evanstylerw 01:10 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Could very well be a player issue. What player are you using? Try the same files in something simple like Windows Media Player to see if the same thing happens.

Will do! What about the text being off in the browser ? Any ideas on that?
wth718's Avatar wth718 01:22 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

Will do! What about the text being off in the browser ? Any ideas on that?

Could be a couple of things. Ensure that whatever input you're using is set to Full Pixel in the W9. Also, the sharpness and Reality Creation settings can affect text from your PC. Might want to play with those, too.
darkwizard's Avatar darkwizard 02:32 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

Thanks for help!

I have the same video card, I'll see if I can check this for you, I have an i5 3570k with the hd4000 running xbmc and it is running with no issues, the colors and features are all available; I did run into a problem with an old Sony LCD on my GTX670 that made the TV be forced only as PC input, which turned off all video capabilities of the TV, making behave like a monitor.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 05:32 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Quote:

Ah.... I knew I was going to be asked this very question wth because I already had to answer it 3 times today. Here's the reasons. One is because of the black fingers as they call them on an all white screen. Sony is aware of the problem and the guy I talked to said the newer sets are mostly free of the fault if that's believable. It didn't really bother me but I saw them faintly and I'm the type of picky guy that if I see something like that it bugs the crap out of me because I know its there. Also there are times when I notice small white blotches around the screen on an all white screen. I don't see that issue unless I have an all white screen. So that's the second reason. Other then that I have no other issues, none. Perfect screen uniformity, no dead or stuck pixels, nothing. But one other thing that bothers me is the hours of use I pulled up this morning on the tv. I don't watch tv much during the day because I am always busy so for a new tv that I got back in March I believe it should not have that many hours. My wife pointed that out which makes me suspicious. Its not many hours but I know my wife and I didn't watch it that much! But oh well it is what it is and I am not going to complain. When the new W9 arrives hopefully next week, which they say it will, I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb as they say and test it out before they guys even leave which means it better have no dead or stuck pixels. No clouding or flashlighting and I am hoping there is no "fingers" on an all white screen. If there is any of that the new tv goes back! If everything is satisfactory to me then I will either sell my current one or give it to my mother and step father who are looking for a tv. I could have bought the 65 W850A but I passed due to I don't think it has the same quality PQ and black levels of the W9. Its a great set but just not for me.

Make sure that you keep your original, if your current panel has no flashlighting, no clouding, and no dead pixels, and theres not noticable banding, I seriously doubt that your replacement will be any better. I went thru 3, first had dead pixel, but no flashlighting/ clouding. Second , no dead pixels, terrible flashlighting, and third, no dead pixels, no flashlighting, very minimal clouding. That being said, the picture your posted of balnk screen in complete darkness, was completely black, which is nearly impossible to find in an edge lit tv.

Well buck I will find out tomorrow if the new tv matches my current one and personally I am hoping it does. I hear the newer build dates on the W9 mean better performance with less issues, that's coming from my Sony insider. I also found out that my tv was indeed a refurbished unit that is why the hours on it were sord of high on it. I wont get into how that happened but just let me say I was angry as hell about it. But tomorrow at this time hopefully I will able to report that my new W9 is better then my current one. My fingers will be crossed.
Sunny44's Avatar Sunny44 05:51 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

Well buck I will find out tomorrow if the new tv matches my current one and personally I am hoping it does. I hear the newer build dates on the W9 mean better performance with less issues, that's coming from my Sony insider. I also found out that my tv was indeed a refurbished unit that is why the hours on it were sord of high on it. I wont get into how that happened but just let me say I was angry as hell about it. But tomorrow at this time hopefully I will able to report that my new W9 is better then my current one. My fingers will be crossed.

I believe you ordered from sony as I did, let me know how the whole delivery process goes. Mine is scheduled for early next week.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 06:09 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post

Quote:

I believe you ordered from sony as I did, let me know how the whole delivery process goes. Mine is scheduled for early next week.

Hey Sunny. Yea I ordered direct from Sony and my new W9 will be here tomorrow between 1 and 5pm. It is being delivered by Ceva Logistics. I have tv's delivered by them in the past and they have always been very good and on time.
Luckybum's Avatar Luckybum 06:13 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

It is being delivered by Ceva Logistics. I have tv's delivered by them in the past and they have always been very good and on time.
+1...my EX52.
domingos38's Avatar domingos38 07:16 PM 05-06-2014
I was going to buy one but 55" is just to small
Sunny44's Avatar Sunny44 07:17 PM 05-06-2014
Quote:

Hey Sunny. Yea I ordered direct from Sony and my new W9 will be here tomorrow between 1 and 5pm. It is being delivered by Ceva Logistics. I have tv's delivered by them in the past and they have always been very good and on time.

steve1971,

I know they will bring it in the house, do they unpack it or allow you to inspect it?
Tags: Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
First ... 149  150  151 152  153  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop