Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4801 of 4999 Old 07-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
steve1971 - Hi, could you please share your calibrated settings for your W9? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4999 Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiaz66 View Post
steve1971 - Hi, could you please share your calibrated settings for your W9? Thanks
steve1971,

I would also like to see your calibration settings.
Thanks in advance!
post #4803 of 4999 Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM

I have not had my TV professionally calibrated but i will post my settingswhen i get home. However, I have been playing for a while the settingspublished by cnet and sound and vision. Thank you
post #4804 of 4999 Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
steve1971,

I would also like to see your calibration settings.
Thanks in advance!
Here are my settings. Nice but i can't see to get "that crystal clear picture". Thanks

Picture Mode Cinema 2
Backlight 6
Picture 95
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 55
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Manual
Video Area Detection Auto
Resolution 30
Noise Filtering Min
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Standard
CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Low
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -5
B-Gain -1
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0
post #4805 of 4999 Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Happy 4th Of July to all my fellow W9 owners! I will post my settings this weekend.
post #4806 of 4999 Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 AM

Liked: 11
Is there anyway to change the picture settings under the netflix app?
post #4807 of 4999 Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtophoto View Post
Is there anyway to change the picture settings under the netflix app?
I tried many times, Hulu plus lets you but Netflix does not.
post #4808 of 4999 Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiaz66 View Post
I tried many times, Hulu plus lets you but Netflix does not.
My understanding is that the apps all share the same settings. So go into an app like youtube and set your Netflix/Hulu settings.
steve1971 and newtophoto like this.
post #4809 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well I had my W9 calibrated this morning. 3 1/2 hours to get everything just right. Man does my tv look beautiful and now just the way I wanted and the way it should look PQ wise. Oh and Live Color? Not needed. Black Corrector? Not needed. ACE? Off. Anyone interested in the calibrated settings of my W9 just ask.
Steve,

I just picked up a used one from B&H Photo since this model is sadly discontinued and out of stock almost everywhere. I am interested in the calibrated settings you have from having the set pro calibrated.

Thanks,

DT
post #4810 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok guy's here are the Calibrated settings tweaked just a hair by me:

Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight 2
Picture 90
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 2
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Auto
Resolution Greyed Out
Noise Filtering Greyed Out
Smooth Gradation Medium (My choice)
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector Low (My choice but not needed)
ACE Off
Gamma -1
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off

White Balance:
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -1
R-Bias -1
G-Bias -1
B-Bias +1

Detail Enhancer Low (My choice)
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Preference Greyed Out

Everything in the Pro Picture setup was left on Auto and the 3D settings were taken from Tom Norton's settings over at Sound&Vision.com. The settings my Calibrator dialed in were almost identicle to Tom Norton's settings as well. He used Calman's Spectral system which is pretty much used by all Pro Calibrators and the guy was pretty damn good and new just exactly what he was doing. He went into menu's I never knew were in these TV's and only a pro should go into. After he left I popped in Disney's WOW Blu ray disc just to check things out and safe to say the guy has my tv dead on and I don't think I can get anymore out of it PQ wise. My W9 is right where it should be with no more changes needed. That being said my settings are not for everyone because of room lighting and so fourth, it varies from where the tv is at ect and its up to the person on how it should look and what looks good to their eyes. But if you want your W9 to look as good as it should then I say a Pro Calibration is the way to go and its worth it. Watching Blu's on my W9 over the weekend was an experience to say the least and any hopes of me investing in a 4K set vanished with what I saw while watching movies and regular broadcast HD. So there's the Pro Calibrated settings I have dialed in on my W9 as some of you requested. Try them out and see if they work for you.
Sunny44, DMViolator and kaibrok like this.
post #4811 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Ok guy's here are the Calibrated settings tweaked just a hair by me:

Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight 2
Picture 90
Brightness 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 2
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Auto
Resolution Greyed Out
Noise Filtering Greyed Out
Smooth Gradation Medium (My choice)
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector Low (My choice but not needed)
ACE Off
Gamma -1
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off

White Balance:
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -1
R-Bias -1
G-Bias -1
B-Bias +1

Detail Enhancer Low (My choice)
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturalizer Off
Display Speed Preference Greyed Out

Everything in the Pro Picture setup was left on Auto and the 3D settings were taken from Tom Norton's settings over at Sound&Vision.com. The settings my Calibrator dialed in were almost identicle to Tom Norton's settings as well. He used Calman's Spectral system which is pretty much used by all Pro Calibrators and the guy was pretty damn good and new just exactly what he was doing. He went into menu's I never knew were in these TV's and only a pro should go into. After he left I popped in Disney's WOW Blu ray disc just to check things out and safe to say the guy has my tv dead on and I don't think I can get anymore out of it PQ wise. My W9 is right where it should be with no more changes needed. That being said my settings are not for everyone because of room lighting and so fourth, it varies from where the tv is at ect and its up to the person on how it should look and what looks good to their eyes. But if you want your W9 to look as good as it should then I say a Pro Calibration is the way to go and its worth it. Watching Blu's on my W9 over the weekend was an experience to say the least and any hopes of me investing in a 4K set vanished with what I saw while watching movies and regular broadcast HD. So there's the Pro Calibrated settings I have dialed in on my W9 as some of you requested. Try them out and see if they work for you.

Is your viewing area pretty dark ? I tried out similiar settings, and they were pleasing, but just not much punch unless i watched with a lamp off. Maybe I need to try bias lighting.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #4812 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Steve settings look good but what do you have the sharpness at. Going to use these as my nighttime settings since I have a bright room in daytime. Thanks for the settings.
post #4813 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just FYI, in Picture Mode Cinema1, RealityCreation=Auto is purely placebo. In Cinema2 it acts very weakly, and in Cinema1 it does exactly nothing.

Apart from that, isn't the confidence-factor an amazing parameter. If one oneself does alter the whitebalance setting per eye by +1/-1, you are not sure, and think it looks fishy. But hey, if a pro calibrator spends an hour and another to come to those +1/-1 whitebalance settings, then you are confident, and hey man, the picture looks beautiful like it never did before. Looking fishy or being a quantum leap, it might be just a matter of confidence.
post #4814 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post
Is your viewing area pretty dark ? I tried out similiar settings, and they were pleasing, but just not much punch unless i watched with a lamp off. Maybe I need to try bias lighting.
No my viewing area is pretty light during the day and at night we pretty much watch tv with only a small lamp on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Steve settings look good but what do you have the sharpness at. Going to use these as my nighttime settings since I have a bright room in daytime. Thanks for the settings.
Sharpness is set at 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post
Just FYI, in Picture Mode Cinema1, RealityCreation=Auto is purely placebo. In Cinema2 it acts very weakly, and in Cinema1 it does exactly nothing.

Apart from that, isn't the confidence-factor an amazing parameter. If one oneself does alter the whitebalance setting per eye by +1/-1, you are not sure, and think it looks fishy. But hey, if a pro calibrator spends an hour and another to come to those +1/-1 whitebalance settings, then you are confident, and hey man, the picture looks beautiful like it never did before. Looking fishy or being a quantum leap, it might be just a matter of confidence.
Didee how do you know that Reality Creation in Cinema 1 does exactly nothing? And when its set to Auto its purely placebo? And if that's the case then why would Sony include the feature if it does nothing as you say?
post #4815 of 4999 Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 PM

So I got the 46w905 the other day, im over the moon with the quality, however at the top and the bottom there is a "brighter" horizontal line at the border, is this normal?
post #4816 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Didee how do you know that Reality Creation in Cinema 1 does exactly nothing?
Pretty easy: by eyeballing. When in Cinema1, set a relatively low value for manual RC resolution, say 5. Then switch back/forth between RC off/manual -- ah, see, a noticeable difference. Then switch back/forth between off/auto. Apart from a short hickup because of RC initialising, the picture stays the same, there's not any change. I've played this switching-game like some hundred times, with different sources, with all kinds of input resolutions, and the result is always the same. With two different W905 devices, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971
And if that's the case then why would Sony include the feature if it does nothing as you say?
Of course the feature does work, just with different internal default-strengths depending on scene/picture mode. In scene=General, RC=auto acts like RC=max. In Cinema2 it's more like 10% to 20% (not sure exactly), and in Cinema1, the internal strength seems to be set to 0.000001, or something like that.

Unless it is implemented differently in american firmwares. For the european devices around here, it definetly is like I said.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4817 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Liked: 10
Have had my 55" W905 (UK model) for about a month now and thought I would share my settings.

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight 7
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Colour 60
Hue 0
Colour Temp Warm2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Auto
Video Area Detection Off
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow Clear
Film Mode Auto

Advanced Settings:
Black Corrector Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -2
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturaliser Off
White Balance:
R Gain -5
G Gain 0
B Gain 0
R Bias 0
G Bias 0
B Bias 0
post #4818 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post
Pretty easy: by eyeballing. When in Cinema1, set a relatively low value for manual RC resolution, say 5. Then switch back/forth between RC off/manual -- ah, see, a noticeable difference. Then switch back/forth between off/auto. Apart from a short hickup because of RC initialising, the picture stays the same, there's not any change. I've played this switching-game like some hundred times, with different sources, with all kinds of input resolutions, and the result is always the same. With two different W905 devices, btw.

Of course the feature does work, just with different internal default-strengths depending on scene/picture mode. In scene=General, RC=auto acts like RC=max. In Cinema2 it's more like 10% to 20% (not sure exactly), and in Cinema1, the internal strength seems to be set to 0.000001, or something like that.

Unless it is implemented differently in american firmwares. For the european devices around here, it definetly is like I said.

Ah Didee I see what your talking about now and understand. But no matter I am keeping mine on Auto whether it makes any noticeable difference or not. Its a personal choice. But thanks for the explanation and I appreciate it.
post #4819 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 AM

I've got a picture, as you can see theres a blue border that runs all across the bottom, is this normal? http://postimg.org/image/t3k6vbcu9/full/
post #4820 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrown View Post
I've got a picture, as you can see theres a blue border that runs all across the bottom, is this normal? http://postimg.org/image/t3k6vbcu9/full/

Sorry nbrown I don't see it. You did say it runs across the bottom of the screen right?
post #4821 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry nbrown I don't see it. You did say it runs across the bottom of the screen right?
The picture isn't great, I'll try and get a better picture when I'm home. I'm pretty sure it's just the leds at the bottom but I just want a second opinion
post #4822 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The picture isn't great, I'll try and get a better picture when I'm home. I'm pretty sure it's just the leds at the bottom but I just want a second opinion
I can see what you're talking about. It looks like the LED located at the very bottom of the light strips. Does LED dynamic control affect it at all? Is it content specific or just with everything?
post #4823 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah I see what your talking about now. I see it to and I don't have that on mine. Why its doing that I have no clue but I do know this and that's that it shouldn't be there.
post #4824 of 4999 Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
I can see what you're talking about. It looks like the LED located at the very bottom of the light strips. Does LED dynamic control affect it at all? Is it content specific or just with everything?
Quote:
Ah I see what your talking about now. I see it to and I don't have that on mine. Why its doing that I have no clue but I do know this and that's that it shouldn't be there.
Its very bright if theres a darker scene I'd say, But on every thing I can see a slight "shaded area" at the bottom, here are two more pictures just to be sure if I need to return it or not. http://postimg.org/image/uw8ml8jrt/ http://postimg.org/image/531xfpanv/ .
Thanks so far, I seem to be really unlucky with TV's!!
post #4825 of 4999 Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
LED dynamic control doesn't change it at all, the only time I don't notice it is when it's a very dark scene and the lights appear to turn off, anything with any light seems to cause the effect. It's worse on some stuff but if you guys haven't noticed it surely its an issue with the set.
post #4826 of 4999 Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LED dynamic control doesn't change it at all, the only time I don't notice it is when it's a very dark scene and the lights appear to turn off, anything with any light seems to cause the effect. It's worse on some stuff but if you guys haven't noticed it surely its an issue with the set.

What I would do is call Sony and tell them about it. That's a defect. Is the tv new or refurbished?
post #4827 of 4999 Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What I would do is call Sony and tell them about it. That's a defect. Is the tv new or refurbished?
I've rang sony, they said the usual, factory reset blah blah, no idea what the issue is. It was a brand new Tv from John Lewis, im going to take it back on friday, probably end up gettint the 42w829 tbh as the stock was very low and it's closer to the size I want. I'm just glad someone else sees it as a fault and not just me. I've had such bad luck with choosing a new tv, had a samsung 6670 and the lip sync was way off so had to return that!.
post #4828 of 4999 Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've rang sony, they said the usual, factory reset blah blah, no idea what the issue is. It was a brand new Tv from John Lewis, im going to take it back on friday, probably end up gettint the 42w829 tbh as the stock was very low and it's closer to the size I want. I'm just glad someone else sees it as a fault and not just me. I've had such bad luck with choosing a new tv, had a samsung 6670 and the lip sync was way off so had to return that!.
Damn! And Sony wont even offer a replacement? That's a bunch of BS if you ask me and I would hound the hell out them. Hopefully things work out with the W829 if you get one.
post #4829 of 4999 Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Damn! And Sony wont even offer a replacement? That's a bunch of BS if you ask me and I would hound the hell out them. Hopefully things work out with the W829 if you get one.
I only purchased it on Sunday so it's down to my supplier apparently.
post #4830 of 4999 Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 AM

Steve thanks for the settings. For some reason the settings you provided seemed too yellow or warm for my set, the colors didn't pop. With that said I haven't use a calibration DVD yet. Hopefully get this soon and try to see what's up.

My PQ seems a little fuzzy with Verizon FiOS TV HD channels not sure what's going on there as well...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page