AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen7 View Post
Hi guys!

I’ve finally bought Sony 55w905a a week ago. I’m glad that I’ve taken 55 inch version instead of 46. Now I think anything smaller than 55 won’t be satisfying for me).

For now I want to say that it definitely has got dse, banding and some clouding at corners. If it wasn’t for the price of 1200$, I would probably return it.
Viewing angle is very limited and you really have to sit directly in front of it, move 30 - 40 cm to the side and you get lighter blacks on the opposite side of tv.

What really made me happy about this TV is it’s impulse mode and low input lag, compared to my old Mitsubishi 930sb crt monitor it’s almost as fast.

I have compared this 55w905a side by side to other 4 display devices I've currently got: Mitsubishi 930sb CRT monitor, Benq gw2760hs a-mva monitor, Samsung 40b530 spva tv, Samsung 40eh5300 spva tv.

And after comparison I'm not happy with this Sony TV color reproduction.
Green color at 100% saturation is obviously not fully saturated. If you turn live color to low, it becomes fully saturated, but much shifted towards blue, which makes grass look a little unnatural.
Blue is undersaturated just a bit but it's hard to notice.

But what really disappointed me is Yellow!! It is definetly undersaturated too much, and nothing can help it. I've tried changing every single option in the menu in every mode. Even increasing color setting to the max did nothing to it.
I've even got into service menu and tried to change white balance, no luck.
All my other display devices displayed good saturated yellow.
I've added photo comparison to Benq gw2760hs va monitor(it's to the left with 55w905a to the right).

All I've said about colors can be seen in hdtvtest review, except yellow undersaturation looks much more dramatic than seen on their color scale.

It is very disappointing that a TV priced 3000$(when sales began) and having this widely advertised Triluminous tech actually can't reproduce colors as good as cheap old Samsung 40eh5300 spva tv (400$).

Does anybody know a way to fix this undersaturated yellow issue? maybe there is some setting in service menu I haven't found?
Does updating firmware change color reproduction in any way?

For now I think that it just can't reproduce saturated yellow due to this Triluminous tech.

First the undersaturated yellow your seeing is not the fault of the Triluminous tech. You paid $1200? I agree with turnbowm I'm also guessing it was an open box item. My W900 dosent have undersaturated yellows so what I am thinking it may be the settings your using or something may be wrong with the tv itself I have no clue. But what I do know is again its not the Triluminous techs fault that your seeing the yellows you are. Its got to be something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4968 Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
^ At that price, I'm guessing that it was an open box item. You might want to start by doing a factory reset and go from there.
Yes it was. Of course the first thing I did was factory reset. To me it seems to be not just this single unit problem, I've checked another unit in another store, and it seamed to have the same problems.

steve1971
You have to compare it with another display to see the difference, when viewed alone, 100% yellow might seem fine.
The photo I did isn't very accurate, the difference is actually not that much dramatic.

There is another photo, some other guy did with his 55w905a on the left http://fotkidepo.ru/?id=photo:904646 . It's not a clear representation of what i'm seeing, but at least close.

Here is what i'm trying to explain: http://www.fullhd.gr/images/stories/...inema2/cie.jpg . That's a gamut of 46w905a, it shows that if life color set on low, green is shifted towards blue and yellow is slightly undersaturated. In case of life color off ( http://www.fullhd.gr/images/stories/...inema1/cie.jpg ), green is just undersaturated and so is yellow.
But on 55w905a these problems are much more pronounced.
I'm trying to find a way for fix it somehow, it actually may be impossible to fix.
Maybe there exist some custom firmware for this tv or some kind of option in service menu for color adjust?

Last edited by oxygen7; 07-25-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #4863 of 4968 Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it was. Of course the first thing I did was factory reset. To me it seems to be not just this single unit problem, I've checked another unit in another store, and it seamed to have the same problems.

steve1971
You have to compare it with another display to see the difference, when viewed alone, 100% yellow might seem fine.
The photo I did isn't very accurate, the difference is actually not that much dramatic.

There is another photo, some other guy did with his 55w905a on the left http://fotkidepo.ru/?id=photo:904646 . It's not a clear representation of what i'm seeing, but at least close.

Here is what i'm trying to explain: http://www.fullhd.gr/images/stories/...inema2/cie.jpg . That's a gamut of 46w905a, it shows that if life color set on low, green is shifted towards blue and yellow is slightly undersaturated. In case of life color off ( http://www.fullhd.gr/images/stories/...inema1/cie.jpg ), green is just undersaturated and so is yellow.
I'm trying to find a way for fix it somehow, it actually may be impossible to fix.
Maybe there exist some custom firmware for this tv or some kind of option in service menu for color adjust?
oxygen7, first if your using Live Color my suggestion is don't! Oh it may look pleasing to the eye but it over saturates colors and at times will undersaturate colors. Second I have compared my set to my older 46HX850 and my friends Samsung 8000 and in both cases the yellows on my W9 beat both of them as did the overall PQ and black levels. Its hard to say why your seeing what you are but if its a used set that may be the answer as used store sets are on almost 24/7. But honestly I don't know because this is the first time I have ever heard of someone having an issue with the yellow color of the W9, there may be others I don't know. But here's the thing if you aint satisfied with what your seeing then by all means return it, I would, unless you can live with it. With the W9 the positives of such a great tv far outweigh the negatives but its up to the individual person to make that call. For me its been the best HDTV I have ever owned and I have owned a few of them!
post #4864 of 4968 Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Are those results pre or post calibration. I'm almost thinking pre since two presets are compared.

This is actually one of the most accurate TVs for color out there right now after the white balance has been calibrated. For example, below is the post calibration results from a review on the internet. I can confirm that mine looks very similar after calibration.

If you can't get results like that after calibration, than the tv is likely faulty in some way. I would stay reset to defaults and either get a meter or have someone come do a pro calibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8719371fc4d0d0aeeda7be36a839ab05_434.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	180962  
steve1971 likes this.
post #4865 of 4968 Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using Live Colour on Low and dropping saturation by a few points (=45-49) gives punchy colours without being too oversaturated. I like that setting, it's worth a try.
post #4866 of 4968 Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
@oxygen7

In the first comparison (your own photo), it's the W905 that is showing yellow. The BenQ, on that photo, does not show yellow, but lime green.

In regard to
Quote:
this one seems like the W905 has much few light output than the other one. Did you go into system settings and have disabled the light sensor in the Eco menu? When compairing to other displays, it definetly should be off. If backlight is lower on one one panel compared to another (in this case due to Eco light sensor), the picture often is described as "dull", "lifeless", "has no punch", and whatnotelse, even if it's just reduced light output. - Just turn the light sensor off, and probably your yellow will be so punchy and saturated, yummy!

Another point is -- viewing angle, indeed. The characteristic of the W905 panel is that of the RGB matrix, the green channel is losing contrast a bit quicker than the R and B channels when viewed from an angle. This is the reason for the "pink tinge" that is often talked about, and it will also affect colors like full-green (becoming more yellow) and yellow shifting a bittowards orange and become darker. Problem is, when you have two sets side-by-side, than you always deal with some kind of off-angle viewing.

On the positive side, it seems your W905 has pretty good screen uniformity. Compared to other W905' panels, there seems only very minor signs of "fingers" ate the left/right edges, or DSE/banding over the screen area. Seems like a lucky hit!
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Didee; 07-27-2014 at 01:27 AM.
post #4867 of 4968 Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your answers.

My 55w905a has approx. 1600 hours of operating time. It was the last one from store shelf when I took it. It is an equivalent of 5-6 moths on normal use and I don’t think it’s enough for TV to degrade in some way. Led’s don’t degrade that fast.
I know some tricks and definetly turned eco setting off, also tried setting hdmi full\limited range. color x.v.\normal. Also tried outputting 10bit x.v. color from my ps3.

Where could I download another firmware to this tv? I don't want to put the latest version from Sony site, because it is impossilbe to downgrade if something goes wrong. Some guy wrote that motionflow impluse mode became worse with the latest firmware.
So I would like to find some previous versions. Maybe someone still has it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestYellowPlusBlue.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	185602  

Last edited by oxygen7; 07-29-2014 at 06:42 AM.
post #4868 of 4968 Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your answers.

My 55w905a has approx. 1600 hours of operating time. It was the last one from store shelf when I took it. It is an equivalent of 5-6 moths on normal use and I don’t think it’s enough for TV to degrade in some way. Led’s don’t degrade that fast.
I know some tricks and definetly turned eco setting off, also tried setting hdmi full\limited range. color x.v.\normal. Also tried outputting 10bit x.v. color from my ps3.

Where could I download another firmware to this tv? I don't want to put the latest version from Sony site, because it is impossilbe to downgrade if something goes wrong. Some guy wrote that motionflow impluse mode became worse with the latest firmware.
So I would like to find some previous versions. Maybe someone still has it?
Previous Firmware's are hard to find for the W9. In days past you could down load previous firmware updates but with newer models that aint the case anymore so good luck trying to find one. That being said 1600 hour's is a lot of hours on a tv but not surprising for an open box tv being that they are on all the time. Could that be the reason for what your seeing? Could very well be but not sure. I really don't know what to tell you except maybe if your not happy then maybe get your money back and buy a different set. Would I? Yes. I stay far away from open box and refurbished TV's because I simply don't trust them because god only knows what they been through with previous owners/stores
post #4869 of 4968 Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My AVR won't give me the option to Auto Lip sync with this tv, it's a Yamaha, I've read that auto lip sync is supposed to be a HDMI 1.3 feature, the AVR is newer and of course this TV is new enough, maybe this is an AVR issue? Could it be my hdmi cable?? I'm a bit lost, but when I go into Lip sync on the AVR it won't let me do AUTO.

EDIT: According to the AVR manual
"Adjusts the delay between video and audio output automatically whena TV that supports an automatic lipsync function is connected to theAuto (default)unit via HDMI"

But I can't select AUTO on the AVR, any ideas??

Last edited by ph00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #4870 of 4968 Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post
My AVR won't give me the option to Auto Lip sync with this tv, it's a Yamaha, I've read that auto lip sync is supposed to be a HDMI 1.3 feature, the AVR is newer and of course this TV is new enough, maybe this is an AVR issue? Could it be my hdmi cable?? I'm a bit lost, but when I go into Lip sync on the AVR it won't let me do AUTO.

EDIT: According to the AVR manual
"Adjusts the delay between video and audio output automatically whena TV that supports an automatic lipsync function is connected to theAuto (default)unit via HDMI"

But I can't select AUTO on the AVR, any ideas??
ph00p, that's definatley and AVR issue! It should let you select AUTO. Try a different HDMI cord and if that don't work? See if you can give Yamaha customer support a call to see if they can help. But that is a head scratcher for sure.
post #4871 of 4968 Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 40
Hiya Oxygen,

When I bought my W905A I was also not so satisfied with how the colors were represented. I used and tried many settings published online and also here. Then I went on a trial for my own settings using different technics to achieve as natural as possible for my ambient and usage.

I also had problem with yellow if I used Cinema 2 and Warm. Green was never green but was more or less all the time moving towards yellow. Here are my settings and now I'm very satisfied with all the colors. For calibration I used Nokia monitor test and Lagom LCD test (online tool).

best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4872 of 4968 Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys i really need you help here.

i aswell am tempted to buy the w905 in its 46 inch version. However uniformity is still a concern to me.

Let me start out that i use a Hx755 40" and i see very little uniformity issues.

Calibrated in a pitch blck room: barely visible clouding/flashlight in the corner unnoticable in movie watching.

I used this test pattern: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/1...clouding-1.jpg

However, i wonder how you guys test grey uniformity (DSE) or those fingers etc.

I have the calibration AVS downloaded. Which Test patterns do you use?
-When i use a test pattern like the pure field gamme option 80%, i see nothing. The same goes for full field 100% clour test pattern.
Should i noot be seeing a little bit at all or am i using the wrong test pattern?
In real live content while panning, there is some dse i can see. / though thats normal for LCD/LED Backlight Tvs.

should it not be like these? http://www.rtings.com/info/gray-unif...een-effect-dse

Also as far as i know the smaller the screen size= less uniformity issues.
So in theory 55" usesr here should have more issues than 46" am i right?

Hope you can help me out here.

Last edited by tempa5; 08-01-2014 at 01:19 AM.
post #4873 of 4968 Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
a Best Buy in my area has a 55w900a which was a shelf display for $719.99. Has everything but has three 1/2 inch scratches in the middle of the screen though. Worth it?
post #4874 of 4968 Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm watching the Hall of Fame game right now on my Best Buy bargain TV and it's absolutely spectacular! I bought it with a lazy pixel but from where I'm sitting...it's just as if it was white glove delivered by Sony. Good stuff!
steve1971 likes this.
post #4875 of 4968 Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Been looking at new tvs, and wanted something 'decent' for a change. I do prefer Sony generally, and the W905a seemed to tick the boxes, particularly with the triluminous feature and panel type used.

I see now it's been discontinued. John Lewis in the UK are offering the Sony Bravia KDL46W905 for £799. Are these the same models (there's no a after the 905), and is it definitely worth getting over the 2014 models (haven't seen glowing reviews of these)?

I'm not bothered about the sound as it'll be routed through my 5.1 setup, PQ is all important.
post #4876 of 4968 Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM

It is the same model, distributed in EU regions. In terms of picture quality it is without a single doubt a truly spectacular TV. Best, d.
steve1971, DMViolator and _Jack_ like this.
post #4877 of 4968 Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I have now had my W9 since May and it could be my eye's but it seems to have gotton better, if that's possible, PQ wise. I am beginning to wonder if these TV's do indeed get better as time goes on.
post #4878 of 4968 Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Seems I have the approval of the other half as well, so happy days I'm hoping this will sync in nicely with the Oppo 93 as well.
post #4879 of 4968 Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched 3 Blu rays last night. Transformers, TF Revenge Of The Fallen and Pacific Rim. Damn I love my W9! My W9 hooked up with my Sony 6200 makes an unbeatable combo. I have never seen these 3 movies look so good. Lovin the HD life right now.
post #4880 of 4968 Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 PM

Anyone experiencing any Skype connectivity issues?

I did a factory reset.
I tried wireless and wired connections. Both passed the connectivity tests.
Online content from YouTube and another online source worked.

Skype returns this message when I login (using the correct or incorrect password):

"Skype cannot connect to the Internet. Please check your Internet connection in Settings."

-Trey
post #4881 of 4968 Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched a few pre-season NFL games for the first time on my W900 and all I can say is WOW! Just chalk up yet another reason why I love this tv so much. Fantastic is all I will say.
post #4882 of 4968 Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 AM

Got to say I'm loving this TV. Using Steve1971's calibrated settings (using TrueCinema instead of Standard for MotionFlow tho'), BR has never looked so good
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by DMViolator; 08-10-2014 at 01:01 AM.
post #4883 of 4968 Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragno View Post
Anyone experiencing any Skype connectivity issues?

I did a factory reset.
I tried wireless and wired connections. Both passed the connectivity tests.
Online content from YouTube and another online source worked.

Skype returns this message when I login (using the correct or incorrect password):

"Skype cannot connect to the Internet. Please check your Internet connection in Settings."
You might want to check this out http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...ed-on-some-tvs

Seems there's some update being done.
post #4884 of 4968 Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just got home from work and got prompted for a TV firmware update. Weird it did happen in the morning. Anyone get the update?
steve1971 and DMViolator like this.
post #4885 of 4968 Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Just got home from work and got prompted for a TV firmware update. Weird it did happen in the morning. Anyone get the update?

I got my update for my W9 this morning as well. Don't see any PQ improvement which to be honest I don't know if it can get any better then it already is. I guess we will have to wait and see what Sony say's this updates for but knowing Sony that explanation may take awhile lol!
post #4886 of 4968 Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Yep just installed it now. Can't see any immediate difference, but it's probably an app update or something.

Sony W905a (46)
Oppo 93
Yamaha RX-V673
BK Elec Monolith+
AE Radiance 2
MA BXRX
post #4887 of 4968 Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMViolator View Post
Yep just installed it now. Can't see any immediate difference, but it's probably an app update or something.
Perhaps they have addressss the recent Skype issue which I asked about a couple days ago.

-Trey
post #4888 of 4968 Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 PM

Has anyone had success getting 5.1 sound from the toslink (optical out) when they have connected their laptop up to the W9 via HDMI? My laptop only seems to want to output stereo pcm to the TV for video I have which is encoded in DD5.1. This is my set up:

Laptop>HDMI>Sony W9>toslink>receiver

Is it a handshake issue? Is the HDMI from laptop to TV only thinking the TV is stereo and is not delivering DD5.1 to the receiver?

Thanks in advance!
post #4889 of 4968 Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM

What kind of receiver do you have? Why do you have it connected like this?

My connection is like this:

TV watching
from optical out to optical in on A/V receiver via optical cable

HTPC usage
from HTPC HDMI output via HDMI cable to A/V receiver HDMI input. Another HDMI cable from A/V receiver HDMI output to HDMI input on Sony TV.

When using like this I just need to select correct audio input on A/V receiver when watchin certain source and that's it. I'm not doing circles with sound through TV when using my HTPC.

Another important note:
When putting out Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV. There are two settings important in the TV menu: Sound \ Speakers. This setting you need to set to Audio System. That way the internal TV speakers are automatically disabled. If you want to have 5.1 content passed through optical then you need to set Sound \ Digital Audio Out to Auto and not PCM (PCM will pass through only stereo 2.0).
Also you need to be attentive to the settings which you find in menu Digital Set-Up \ Audio Set-Up -> here you need to set Audio description to Off in order that DD5.1 is pass through the optical cable, otherwise I have only stereo while watching TV programme with DD encoded sound. This last setting may vary from country to country and depends on the cable provider.

best, d.
post #4890 of 4968 Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
What kind of receiver do you have? Why do you have it connected like this?

My connection is like this:

TV watching
from optical out to optical in on A/V receiver via optical cable

HTPC usage
from HTPC HDMI output via HDMI cable to A/V receiver HDMI input. Another HDMI cable from A/V receiver HDMI output to HDMI input on Sony TV.

When using like this I just need to select correct audio input on A/V receiver when watchin certain source and that's it. I'm not doing circles with sound through TV when using my HTPC.

Another important note:
When putting out Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV. There are two settings important in the TV menu: Sound \ Speakers. This setting you need to set to Audio System. That way the internal TV speakers are automatically disabled. If you want to have 5.1 content passed through optical then you need to set Sound \ Digital Audio Out to Auto and not PCM (PCM will pass through only stereo 2.0).
Also you need to be attentive to the settings which you find in menu Digital Set-Up \ Audio Set-Up -> here you need to set Audio description to Off in order that DD5.1 is pass through the optical cable, otherwise I have only stereo while watching TV programme with DD encoded sound. This last setting may vary from country to country and depends on the cable provider.

best, d.

Thanks for the suggestions but they didn't work I've hooked it up this way as the W9 has more HDMI in slots. The Receiver is running out of HDMI ins (3).

I think it might be a handshake issue. Maybe the W9 is telling my laptop it only accepts stereo pcm? I can definitely see that only a stereo HDMI signal is going in.

Otherwise it might be that the laptop's sound card for some reason only outputs in stereo.

I guess the only way to find out is to plug the laptop via HDMI into the receiver.

Does anyone get 5.1 outputted via toslink from a HDMI signal?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page