Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4891 of 4900 Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Member
 
delfincek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions but they didn't work I've hooked it up this way as the W9 has more HDMI in slots. The Receiver is running out of HDMI ins (3).

I think it might be a handshake issue. Maybe the W9 is telling my laptop it only accepts stereo pcm? I can definitely see that only a stereo HDMI signal is going in.

Otherwise it might be that the laptop's sound card for some reason only outputs in stereo.

I guess the only way to find out is to plug the laptop via HDMI into the receiver.

Does anyone get 5.1 outputted via toslink from a HDMI signal?

Yes, first you will need to configure your notebook to output DD in its 5.1 form through HDMI. Connect notebook to A/V receiver directly. Be sure that is set for 5.1 and that there is passhtrough. This depends on the drivers and software you use on your notebook. If you share the model of the notebook we can see what are the proper settings for it.

best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
delfincek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4892 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Watched The Amazing Spider Man 2 BluRay tonight. It's a Sony release so it's mastered in 4K w/ xvYCC color. Looks spectacular on the W9. It's not the best super hero film but it's ref quality AV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve1971 likes this.
helvetica bold is online now  
post #4893 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Watched The Amazing Spider Man 2 BluRay tonight. It's a Sony release so it's mastered in 4K w/ xvYCC color. Looks spectacular on the W9. It's not the best super hero film but it's ref quality AV.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. And although it wasn't shot natively in 3D, the 3D presentation is pretty good, too.
wth718 is online now  
post #4894 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Watched The Amazing Spider Man 2 BluRay tonight. It's a Sony release so it's mastered in 4K w/ xvYCC color. Looks spectacular on the W9. It's not the best super hero film but it's ref quality AV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rented a copy and you are right on! It looks stunning on the W9.
steve1971 is online now  
post #4895 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I was browsing You Tube and I came across a video of the Sony KDL-55W950A which was supposedly released only in Asia. I found out this tv is exactly the same as the W9 BUT.......it had gorilla glass and the back was gloss black!!!! What the hell??? The W950A was beautiful in design so my question is is why in the hell didn't Sony do this with the W9? They are identicle TV's spec wise but yet here in the US they left off the gorilla glass and gloss black back panel? WTF? Sony pulled this same crap with their 2014 Blu ray players the 6200 and the 7200 which again have the same specs but design is different. Why do we get short changed here in the U.S? Don't get me wrong...I love the design of my W9 but it would have looked better if it had the same design as the 55W950A. I know this really isn't something to rant over but DAMN!!!! If you guys who own the W9 and want to see the 55W950A check this out. Like I said same tv but yet different design......

Last edited by steve1971; Yesterday at 07:54 AM.
steve1971 is online now  
post #4896 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
redsandvb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: HI
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions but they didn't work I've hooked it up this way as the W9 has more HDMI in slots. The Receiver is running out of HDMI ins (3).

I think it might be a handshake issue. Maybe the W9 is telling my laptop it only accepts stereo pcm? I can definitely see that only a stereo HDMI signal is going in.

Otherwise it might be that the laptop's sound card for some reason only outputs in stereo.

I guess the only way to find out is to plug the laptop via HDMI into the receiver.

Does anyone get 5.1 outputted via toslink from a HDMI signal?
I have my cable box's HDMI going to the TV and the TV's toslink to my receiver. I could not get 5.1 until I enabled 'Bravia Sync'

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
redsandvb is offline  
post #4897 of 4900 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Afrikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has Sony ever said anything about adding new Apps? can we some how add some on our own?

No UFC All Access App
no WWE Access App
no NFL App


just the normal apps like Netflix, etc...and a bunch of Indy apps. But I believe Samsung and others have those other apps I listed.
Afrikan is offline  
post #4898 of 4900 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan View Post
Has Sony ever said anything about adding new Apps? can we some how add some on our own?

No UFC All Access App
no WWE Access App
no NFL App


just the normal apps like Netflix, etc...and a bunch of Indy apps. But I believe Samsung and others have those other apps I listed.


My Sony S6200 Blu ray player has the NFL app and the WWE app but my W9 don't have them and that sucks if you ask me.
steve1971 is online now  
post #4899 of 4900 Old Today, 08:11 AM
Member
 
turnbowm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I was browsing You Tube and I came across a video of the Sony KDL-55W950A which was supposedly released only in Asia. I found out this tv is exactly the same as the W9 BUT.......it had gorilla glass and the back was gloss black!!!! What the hell??? The W950A was beautiful in design so my question is is why in the hell didn't Sony do this with the W9? They are identicle TV's spec wise but yet here in the US they left off the gorilla glass and gloss black back panel? WTF? Sony pulled this same crap with their 2014 Blu ray players the 6200 and the 7200 which again have the same specs but design is different. Why do we get short changed here in the U.S? Don't get me wrong...I love the design of my W9 but it would have looked better if it had the same design as the 55W950A. I know this really isn't something to rant over but DAMN!!!! If you guys who own the W9 and want to see the 55W950A check this out. Like I said same tv but yet different design......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZWh...yer_detailpage

The W900A uses Dragontrail glass made by Asahi Glass company, which is pretty impressive stuff as indicated in the link below. As for the back panel not being glossy, I couldn't care less.


turnbowm is offline  
post #4900 of 4900 Old Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
The W900A uses Dragontrail glass made by Asahi Glass company, which is pretty impressive stuff as indicated in the link below. As for the back panel not being glossy, I couldn't care less.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbOoQpwAFs

Thanks for posting that turnbowm. I guess Sony must have dropped Gorilla Glass and went with Dragontrail then. I guess my whole rant in that post I made was that I liked the one sheet of glass design and I couldn't understand why Sony didn't incorporate it into the W9. The back of the tv is no big deal really but again I liked how they designed it, but that's just me. That being said I have no issue how the W9 looks but I just cant understand why the designs vary from country to country.
steve1971 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off