Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 165 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4921 of 4949 Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have bravia sync enabled and i see my BD player and Avr in the device list but the AVR doenst show connected under the "Audio system". Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4949 Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredsobad View Post
I have bravia sync enabled and i see my BD player and Avr in the device list but the AVR doenst show connected under the "Audio system". Any ideas?

Thanks
Checked my BraviaSync Menu and it looks the same as yours, doesn't show 'Connected' for Audio System. It does show SR7005 under Type...my receiver is a Marantz SR7005. I'm getting 5.1 out of the TV's optical out, haven't used ARC.

The only other thing I can think of is the Important Note part in the quote below...Maybe also setting audio out to Fixed or something else in the Audio settings section.
BTW the part about setting speakers to Audio System happens automatically when I turn on my AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
What kind of receiver do you have? Why do you have it connected like this?

My connection is like this:

TV watching
from optical out to optical in on A/V receiver via optical cable

HTPC usage
from HTPC HDMI output via HDMI cable to A/V receiver HDMI input. Another HDMI cable from A/V receiver HDMI output to HDMI input on Sony TV.

When using like this I just need to select correct audio input on A/V receiver when watchin certain source and that's it. I'm not doing circles with sound through TV when using my HTPC.

Another important note:
When putting out Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV. There are two settings important in the TV menu: Sound \ Speakers. This setting you need to set to Audio System. That way the internal TV speakers are automatically disabled. If you want to have 5.1 content passed through optical then you need to set Sound \ Digital Audio Out to Auto and not PCM (PCM will pass through only stereo 2.0).
Also you need to be attentive to the settings which you find in menu Digital Set-Up \ Audio Set-Up -> here you need to set Audio description to Off in order that DD5.1 is pass through the optical cable, otherwise I have only stereo while watching TV programme with DD encoded sound. This last setting may vary from country to country and depends on the cable provider.

best, d.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #4923 of 4949 Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredsobad View Post

Thanks
After you turn on control arc on you avr did it switch to external speakers if it did not you have to go to settings sound adjust and go to speakers and change it from TV speakers to audio system then it should pass 5.1 from apps and internal tuner.
post #4924 of 4949 Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
Checked my BraviaSync Menu and it looks the same as yours, doesn't show 'Connected' for Audio System. It does show SR7005 under Type...my receiver is a Marantz SR7005. I'm getting 5.1 out of the TV's optical out, haven't used ARC.

The only other thing I can think of is the Important Note part in the quote below...Maybe also setting audio out to Fixed or something else in the Audio settings section.
BTW the part about setting speakers to Audio System happens automatically when I turn on my AVR.
Thank you for posting the quote from delfincek. Although the setting for audio description is under "personal preferences" rather than "digital/audio" settings, it was turned on. After turning it off my problem solved!!! A funny thing on the side was we noticed the narration on certain shows which we thought were funny and couldn't understand why it was there.

Thanks everyone who helped me figure this out!
post #4925 of 4949 Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Glad it's working for you now

post #4926 of 4949 Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There is a new firmware update just finished updating my W9. Software version PKG4.470AAA

Last edited by HD KOOL-AID; 09-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.
post #4927 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
There is a new firmware update just finished updating my W9. Software version PKG4.470AAA
Yep my tv downloaded it this morning. This first thing my wife said after it downloaded was that to her eye's the PQ looked sharper then before. So I checked my sharpness settings and nothing had changed so maybe its just her eyes lol. More then likely the update was for the app's and nothing more.
post #4928 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Someone told me to not ISF calibrate a Sony display with triluminos colors because that will just flatten the extra range. I guess this makes sense. Anyone else agree?
post #4929 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post
Someone told me to not ISF calibrate a Sony display with triluminos colors because that will just flatten the extra range. I guess this makes sense. Anyone else agree?

I had mine Professionally Calibrated and I feel my tv look's stunning PQ wise. Color's dont look flat to me or anyone who see's my tv in action. So if your talking about the color's will look flat PQ wise then I dont agree.
post #4930 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
@steve1971 On tuesday I called Laredo and spoke with one of their managers about my exchange and was told that I could have a brand new W900a! I was very surprised that sony has a new one available. During previous calls I was told that it was no longer available. I told the manager that the w950b being sent out to me was without my approval and that I expect my new w900a to ship immediately as opposed to waiting for the w950b to be returned to sony. The manager agreed and and has processed the exchange. I should receive it this friday via fed-ex.

I did try for an XBR model but sadly was told no, unless I cover the difference in price IF I supplied a receipt, which sadly I have lost.

I called again today to make sure I was being shipped a NEW w900a and it was confirmed. God help sony if I get my w900a this friday and it is a refurb/factory reconditioned unit!

Edit.. I installed the new update and it has fixed the issue I was having with streaming from my NAS (network attached storage) to my w900a via Ethernet cable. Prior to this update I could only stream from my NAS to my tv via wi-fi. When using the ethernet cable the tv would only play the video for 10-20 secs. before stopping saying the tv was unable to play the file. I told sony over and over that I was not my gateway as I tried 3 different units and the tv always acted the same. I said it had to be a firmware issue and sony said no it wasnt and again it was my setup and/or my gateway. Im very happy this issue has been fixed but very disappointed that sony tried to blame me and/or my setup.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Ron3636; 09-03-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #4931 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by cahn2621 

I will give it a try after work, but have you even tried the General scene mode and then the vivid picture mode?

Keep in mind a lot of us are trying to hit a specific video spec with the settings. People are going to Cinema because that's the setting out of the box that's closest to Rec.709. So, that may result in a picture that might lack "pop" or "vibrancy" at first glance, but it is the closest to what the source was designed around and the best approximation of film.

The biggest reason you are probably thinking it looks dim is the change of the color temp to WARM2. That makes the white balance significantly more yellow and the warming of the picture tends to make it look dimmer as a result. However, it's usually closer to the recommended spec of 6500k. I know, out of the box, Cinema 1 was pretty close to 5700k for an 80% grey white balance measurement. So, a bit warmer than the spec. If you changed the color temp from Warm 2 to Warm 1, it jumped to over 7300k. I didn't even measure Neutral or Cool as those would have been way way bluer than you would normally want for film.

After I calibrated the 2pt white balance with Calman5 Tutorial and the C3 meter, the TV then read 6443 for the white balance which is pretty spot on and the gamma curve was mostly correct. But, if you compare it to any of the other General or Vivid presets, you would likely think it dim by comparison. However, it does have an amazing amount of dynamic range without crushing blacks or clipping whites like some of the other settings do.

Ultimately, it's up to you what you want your TV to look like. It's just that most of use aren't using those other presets because they are changing the picture quality to something other than what was originally intended by the director of what we are watching.
what are your current settings for this TV for blu-ray? thanks
post #4932 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
That's nonsense.

Although, it will be difficult to calibrate without the proper equipment. A colorimeter will not do the job well enough. It really needs a spectrophotometer because it is a wide-gamut display.
steve1971 likes this.

nuke
post #4933 of 4949 Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
That's nonsense.

Although, it will be difficult to calibrate without the proper equipment. A colorimeter will not do the job well enough. It really needs a spectrophotometer because it is a wide-gamut display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I had mine Professionally Calibrated and I feel my tv look's stunning PQ wise. Color's dont look flat to me or anyone who see's my tv in action. So if your talking about the color's will look flat PQ wise then I dont agree.
Ok. Interesting. Person who told me works in the TV industry.
post #4934 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron3636 View Post
@steve1971 On tuesday I called Laredo and spoke with one of their managers about my exchange and was told that I could have a brand new W900a! I was very surprised that sony has a new one available. During previous calls I was told that it was no longer available. I told the manager that the w950b being sent out to me was without my approval and that I expect my new w900a to ship immediately as opposed to waiting for the w950b to be returned to sony. The manager agreed and and has processed the exchange. I should receive it this friday via fed-ex.

I did try for an XBR model but sadly was told no, unless I cover the difference in price IF I supplied a receipt, which sadly I have lost.

I called again today to make sure I was being shipped a NEW w900a and it was confirmed. God help sony if I get my w900a this friday and it is a refurb/factory reconditioned unit!

Edit.. I installed the new update and it has fixed the issue I was having with streaming from my NAS (network attached storage) to my w900a via Ethernet cable. Prior to this update I could only stream from my NAS to my tv via wi-fi. When using the ethernet cable the tv would only play the video for 10-20 secs. before stopping saying the tv was unable to play the file. I told sony over and over that I was not my gateway as I tried 3 different units and the tv always acted the same. I said it had to be a firmware issue and sony said no it wasnt and again it was my setup and/or my gateway. Im very happy this issue has been fixed but very disappointed that sony tried to blame me and/or my setup.

Good to hear Ron and hopefully the new W9 works out for you. It is strange that they still have brand new ones when all they say is they are discontinued and no longer made. I had a feeling they wouldnt give you an XBR model because all of their XBR models are 4K and they want you to pay the premium and price difference for what I consider an overrated technology. Let me know how the new W9 works out for you buddy.

Quote:
Ok. Interesting. Person who told me works in the TV industry.

He works in the tv industry and told you what he did? Now that's interesting to me. You would think that a guy who works in that field would tell you to get your tv pro calibrated if possible. I feel pro calibration is the best way to go if you want to get the best PQ your tv can deliver but that's just my opinion.
post #4935 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Steve,

Did you end up having that informal shootout?
post #4936 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Steve,

Did you end up having that informal shootout?

Unfortunatley no! 2 of the guys changed their minds wth and on top of that my wife put up a stink due to she didnt want our tv broken by moving it!!!!! Oh well it was a good idea at the time but more then likely the Panasonic ZT60 would have won.
post #4937 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Unfortunatley no! 2 of the guys changed their minds wth and on top of that my wife put up a stink due to she didnt want our tv broken by moving it!!!!! Oh well it was a good idea at the time but more then likely the Panasonic ZT60 would have won.
That sucks. I'd love to see the results of users in a non-blacked out environment unlike so many of these shootouts tend to be done in. In the real world, most people don't have light controlled environments.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4938 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ron,

I had this very same issue for a long time, but I think the May 2014 update took care of it.

Except Netflix all other apps would give me a 'your network appears to be down' error message with video actually playing in the background. Oddly this would happen only with Ethernet cable and not with wifi. But since Netflix was working, I just left the issue alone until one day the update took care of it and now I have much more reliable Ethernet connection for all video streaming
Ron3636 likes this.
post #4939 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After trying all the different settings I seen on here and different sites and trying the DVE calibrating disk I found these settings looked best to me

Scene:animation
eco settings are all off except auto shutoff
screen: wide mode: full
auto wide: on
4:3: off
auto display area: off
display area: full pixel

pro picture setting all auto with SBM ON

picture adjustments

picture mode animation
backlight: 7
picture: 87
brightness: 50
color: 50
hue: 0
noise reduction: off
mpeg noise reduction: off
dot noise reduction: off
reality creation: auto
video area detection: auto
smooth gradation: off
motionflow: off
cinemotion: off

advanced settings
black corrector: low
adv contrast enhancer: medium
gamma: -2
led dynamic control: off
auto light limiter: off
clean white: off
live colour: off
white balance:0,-3,-6,0,0,+1
detail enhancer: off
edge enhancer: off
skin naturalizer: off
display speed preference: off
post #4940 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDR05 View Post
Ron,

I had this very same issue for a long time, but I think the May 2014 update took care of it.

Except Netflix all other apps would give me a 'your network appears to be down' error message with video actually playing in the background. Oddly this would happen only with Ethernet cable and not with wifi. But since Netflix was working, I just left the issue alone until one day the update took care of it and now I have much more reliable Ethernet connection for all video streaming
I am very happy to hear that I was not the only one with the ethernet/wi-fi issue. As I said before, Sony tried their asses of to make this issue a fault on my end rather than a firmware issue. I am also very glad to hear your w900a is working as it should.

@steve1971 I am very glad that you suggested I stay with the w900a over the w950b. The w950b I said was being shipped to me w/o my approval was not stopped in transit before getting to my house as Sony said they would do and has arived at my house today. I decided to open the box and test the tv out. It has been put into a refurb box and is labled as new, however this tv is not new at all. It has small signs of use and all the accessories are pkg'ed just the same as my other refurbs. Next, I notice that the back panel of the the is not sitting correctly on the tv. The seams where the back panel and the rest of the tv come together are not aligned at all as well as a seam on the bottom of the tv. Even tho the tv is metal it feels cheap and thin and you can very easily push in the back panel. They have changed the home screen with some good things and some bad. I didnt put the tvs side by side but I can tell there is a p/q difference between the two and our w900a's absolutely have a better picture.

Thanks for you responses and opinions as you have saved me from making a horrible decision in choosing the w950b over the superior w900a

TO ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN OFFERED A W950B TO REPLACE A W900A!!!! DON'T EXCEPT IT AND DEMAND A W900A!!

I will be back to post my experience with my NEW w900a when it arives next thur. or fri.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4941 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron3636 View Post
I am very happy to hear that I was not the only one with the ethernet/wi-fi issue. As I said before, Sony tried their asses of to make this issue a fault on my end rather than a firmware issue. I am also very glad to hear your w900a is working as it should.

@steve1971 I am very glad that you suggested I stay with the w900a over the w950b. The w950b I said was being shipped to me w/o my approval was not stopped in transit before getting to my house as Sony said they would do and has arived at my house today. I decided to open the box and test the tv out. It has been put into a refurb box and is labled as new, however this tv is not new at all. It has small signs of use and all the accessories are pkg'ed just the same as my other refurbs. Next, I notice that the back panel of the the is not sitting correctly on the tv. The seams where the back panel and the rest of the tv come together are not aligned at all as well as a seam on the bottom of the tv. Even tho the tv is metal it feels cheap and thin and you can very easily push in the back panel. They have changed the home screen with some good things and some bad. I didnt put the tvs side by side but I can tell there is a p/q difference between the two and our w900a's absolutely have a better picture.

Thanks for you responses and opinions as you have saved me from making a horrible decision in choosing the w950b over the superior w900a

TO ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN OFFERED A W950B TO REPLACE A W900A!!!! DON'T EXCEPT IT AND DEMAND A W900A!!

I will be back to post my experience with my NEW w900a when it arives next thur. or fri.

Glad I could help Ron. I cant believe they sent you a used 950B and labeled as "New" when you could see that it wasnt. Make sure you really check over your W9 when it arrives to make sure it is a new one because you never know. I have said from day one that the W900 was a much better tv then its replacement the W950B. Contrast levels, black levels and the use of Quantum Dots are just 3 of the things that make the W9 a much better tv and some can say what they want but Sony using LG's IPS panel on the W950B was a huge mistake. Oh you get better viewing angles and Passive 3D lovers get what they want but at the sacrifice of good black levels and contrast. To some that may not matter but to me it does especially when I am paying what I am for a good quality tv. Sony had a chance to make the W9 even better with the W950B but dropped the ball and I dont want to even get started on that. I love my W9 and plan on keeping it for a long time until OLED really hits, the kinks are worked out and it becomes affordable. Until then my W9 is a keeper and I am loving every minute of owning it.
Ron3636 likes this.
post #4942 of 4949 Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Hdmi arc dd+?

For those of you using ARC to get 5.1 out of the TV's HDMI1 input, when watching something w/ 5.1 on Netflix do you get Dolby Digital Plus? or just standard DD?

Thanks!

post #4943 of 4949 Old 09-05-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Owner - BD player question.

Hey,

I live in India and even though Sony is pushing 950B over here, I settled for a 900A (malaysia version) from the grey market. Its a risk, but the quality is outstanding. Also considering I was uptill now using Sony Wega 29in http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/st.../1998/2/19wega a old review i found.

Right now i am using the W9 in a fairly airy room with lot of daylight and no music system attached. My first priority is to get a blue ray dvd player. I am asking in this forum, since i want to know what specifically most of you have done in similar circumstances.

I will be flying into US before the end of the year and look to spend around $150 on a BD player. Which one do you suggest? I saw a Sony BD5200 hacked with multi region capability on bombay electronics for around $140.

I buy ost my dvd's and BD from US, UK and India. Just want very good basic playback and also multi format support. Not an audiophile as yet.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
post #4944 of 4949 Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For those of you using ARC to get 5.1 out of the TV's HDMI1 input, when watching something w/ 5.1 on Netflix do you get Dolby Digital Plus? or just standard DD?

Thanks!
I get Dolby Digital Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickred View Post
Hey,

I live in India and even though Sony is pushing 950B over here, I settled for a 900A (malaysia version) from the grey market. Its a risk, but the quality is outstanding. Also considering I was uptill now using Sony Wega 29in http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/st.../1998/2/19wega a old review i found.

Right now i am using the W9 in a fairly airy room with lot of daylight and no music system attached. My first priority is to get a blue ray dvd player. I am asking in this forum, since i want to know what specifically most of you have done in similar circumstances.

I will be flying into US before the end of the year and look to spend around $150 on a BD player. Which one do you suggest? I saw a Sony BD5200 hacked with multi region capability on bombay electronics for around $140.

I buy ost my dvd's and BD from US, UK and India. Just want very good basic playback and also multi format support. Not an audiophile as yet.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
I have the Sony S6200 Blu ray player which is Sony's top of the line player for 2014 but the 5200 is a great alternative.
post #4945 of 4949 Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
I get Dolby Digital Plus.
Thanks Steve, good to know.

I'll have to consider changing things up back there, I'm using optical so I just get standard DD.

post #4946 of 4949 Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Steve, good to know.

I'll have to consider changing things up back there, I'm using optical so I just get standard DD.
redsandvb, switch to HDMI and you should be good to go. I have everything running via HDMI through my Pioneer AVR.
post #4947 of 4949 Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 PM

That's what I'll probably end up doing. But then I'll have to re-program a bunch of remotes, etc...

post #4948 of 4949 Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what I'll probably end up doing. But then I'll have to re-program a bunch of remotes, etc...
You might have to re-program your remotes but it will be worth it.
post #4949 of 4949 Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed with the last firmware update Sony added the WWE Network to the W9! I read and was under the assumption that only Sony's 2014 tv's were going to have the WWE Network. I guess the reports and my assumptions were wrong. As for other things I have observed with the new update for the W9 it seem's to me that the PQ has gotton crisper and more detailed, I noticed this yesterday while watching football. It just be my eye's I dont know. But I am loving this tv more and more everyday. Watching football on the W9 is out of this world!!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page