Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 4979 Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Has anyone had any success in screen mirroring their non-Sony phone/tablet to the W9? I just got a new Samsung tablet, and the 2 units see each other and attempt to connect, but fail every time. I'd love to be able to play Pandora from another room through the set, and this seems the best way. Amazing that they haven't been able to get this right yet, even with all the fw updates.
I have no problem with my nexus 7 have you tried swiping down the top right corner of tablet you get a shortcut menu with the screen cast icon to connect to your w9. Or go to settings device then display then cast screen then it should have wireless display and the w9 listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4979 Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
I have no problem with my nexus 7 have you tried swiping down the top right corner of tablet you get a shortcut menu with the screen cast icon to connect to your w9. Or go to settings device then display then cast screen then it should have wireless display and the w9 listed.
Yep. I've gone through all the steps and it attempts to connect, but then doesn't. I was able to connect to a Samsung BD player at my girlfriend's house with not problem. I'm having the same issue with my HTC One, so it's not specific to my tablet.
post #4953 of 4979 Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Question for you guys. Do you guys have your light sensor turned off on your W9? And if you do why? And what benifit does it provide by having it off? I have mine on to save energy but if it really dont make a difference then I will turn it off. Thanks guys.

post #4954 of 4979 Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Yep. I've gone through all the steps and it attempts to connect, but then doesn't. I was able to connect to a Samsung BD player at my girlfriend's house with not problem. I'm having the same issue with my HTC One, so it's not specific to my tablet.
Try going into settings on you w9 network wi-Fi direct turn on then go into Wi-Fi direct settings press options then manual to register device. I think I had to do this before I could connect my nexus 7
post #4955 of 4979 Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Question for you guys. Do you guys have your light sensor turned off on your W9? And if you do why? And what benifit does it provide by having it off? I have mine on to save energy but if it really dont make a difference then I will turn it off. Thanks guys.

I have it off. For me this way Sony provides much better contrast and it is much more suitable for day viewing. I tried it for some time with On and backclight at max but I found it much better if Light Sensor function is all together off all the time and backlight set manually to 6.

best, d.

Last edited by delfincek; 09-16-2014 at 01:33 AM.
post #4956 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
I have it off. For me this way Sony provides much better contrast and it is much more suitable for day viewing. I tried it for some time with On and backclight at max but I found it much better if Light Sensor function is all together off all the time and backlight set manually to 6.

best, d.
Thank's d. I am gonna give it a try and turn it off and see if I like the results.
post #4957 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Try going into settings on you w9 network wi-Fi direct turn on then go into Wi-Fi direct settings press options then manual to register device. I think I had to do this before I could connect my nexus 7
Thanks. I have to play with it some more. I was able to stream music/video to it via DLNA, but the screen mirroring still wasn't working. Argg. It really shouldn't be this difficult.
post #4958 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have mine off. That one change is what took me from disappointed in the set to very happy with it when compared to the HX850 it replaced.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by wth718; 09-16-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Edited for stoopid typos.
post #4959 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I have mine off. That one change is what took me from disappointed in set to very happy with it when compared to the HX850 is replaced.

I've had mine off from day one and have no reason to turn it on. The wife watches a lot of cable TV during the day and I watch daytime sports on the weekend. We get a lot of indirect sunlight in the den and the last thing I need is reduced contrast and brightness with the Eco setting on.
post #4960 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
I've had mine off from day one and have no reason to turn it on. The wife watches a lot of cable TV during the day and I watch daytime sports on the weekend. We get a lot of indirect sunlight in the den and the last thing I need is reduced contrast and brightness with the Eco setting on.
I have alot of sunlight in the room where W9 sits turnbowm. We watch some programs during the day and more at night. So should the light senor be turned off completely? Im on the fence here!
post #4961 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have alot of sunlight in the room where W9 sits turnbowm. We watch some programs during the day and more at night. So should the light senor be turned off completely? Im on the fence here!
I have a mine in a room with decent light control and I still can't imagine leaving it on. The difference was not subtle to me. All the pop and contrast that I love about the set was just not there with the light sensor on.
post #4962 of 4979 Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #4963 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
usb PVR video recording from sony 900A:
is there a solution for playing/editing in windows any of the free2air digital tv broadcast video recorded with the usb PVR function on this sony 900A tv ? (i suspect the same problem exists on all current sony bravia tv's with similar usb hd's used for PVR function)

i have an external WD 3TB HD connected by usb to the tv, and when connecting the same HD to a windows 7 pc i can see and copy the individual video files to my pc (they are in *.m2ts format, with a single video file per recording) , but none of my windows video players (VLC, WMP etc..) will play them . (neither will any of my video editor programs even load them, and i googled lots of others that claim to be able to deal with .ts files but no luck either).

i suspect it is not an encryption problem, but more that the transport stream video being recorded to the sony tuner has some quirky differences to the standard ts format (but none of my ts editors will even load it,, which is odd). prior to purchasing this tv i thought i had read it was possible to access and play these files on a windows pc, but i cant locate the information anymore.

hope some of the other 900a owners here have solved this

Last edited by nitrozen; 09-17-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #4964 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Nice to see the W9 back in stock on Sony's site and it says alot about its popularity that its still being offered for sale. I would have thought by now that it wasnt even being made anymore so maybe its just overstock or extra's that Sony had on hand and these are the last of them. If that is true and it is indeed the last of them if anyone is on the fense about buying a W9 I would jump on it now because I am sure once there gone they are gone. I have said it once and I will say it a million times and that is the W9 is one of the finest tv's made by Sony. It was and still is in my book one of the best non-4K HDTV's out there and I am proud to own one. Sony dont make them like they used to.
post #4965 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so last night I tried the "turn light sensor off and light sensor on" thing and I came to the decision to leave it on. Why? Because having it off made no difference PQ wise to when I had it on. In short I didnt see really that much difference in PQ with it on or off except that the PQ was a little brighter then when it was on. Otherwise no visual difference at least not to my eyes anyway. My wife couldnt see the difference either and she has a little better eye site then I do. So the Light Senor on my W9 stays On.
post #4966 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 1
hi
in our country there is a newer model of w900a which is w900b
specs wise there is no major difference except it has passive 3d
there are no professional reviews out there and iam in for a new tv
can anyone throw some light on this model
should I wait for a review or buy the good old w900a

Last edited by ashku; 09-17-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #4967 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Some points ...
The W900b has an IPS panel, the W900a a VA panel (IPS: better viewing angle, but worse contrast and poor native blacks. VA: vice versa)
900a has two-sided edge-LED left/right, 900b has one-sided edge-LED at the bottom. (Meaning the 900b isn't even able to dim the black bars of 21:9 movies.)
900a has a 200/240Hz panel with 800/960 Hz CMR, 900b has a 100/120Hz panel with 400/480 Hz CMR.
900a has the true Triluminos with QuantumDots, 900b has a weaker system of unknown kind.

If this is what you call "no major difference", then go for the 900b. If nothing else, at least the 900b has the better onboard sound.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4968 of 4979 Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 1
thanks didee
I wish I had an insight like you and clearly I don't that is why iam here in the first place anyway I was little inclined towards the newer model w900b but now I think newer
does not always mean better so I will go ahead with w900a
thanks again
steve1971 likes this.
post #4969 of 4979 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I have a mine in a room with decent light control and I still can't imagine leaving it on. The difference was not subtle to me. All the pop and contrast that I love about the set was just not there with the light sensor on.

Same experience here. I'm surprised that Steve saw no difference, possibly indicating that Eco mode is not working on his set.
post #4970 of 4979 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
Same experience here. I'm surprised that Steve saw no difference, possibly indicating that Eco mode is not working on his set.
Hey turnbowm. Here's a little update for you buddy. Last night I went back into my settings and I turned the Light Sensor back to off. I said that I didnt notice much difference with it on or off but last night I noticed it IS better with it off. Sometimes I just cant make up my mind! lol . Oh and my Eco mode on my W9 works just fine by the way. That being said I almost bought the Sony XBR 55X850B 4K tv yesterday! Love the PQ on the X850B but again I just didnt think it was worth it to replace my W9 with the X850B plus I have read that the black levels dont match the W9 and I have read alot of horror stories about flashlighting and clouding with the X850B. I just dont want to play the Panel lottery again.
post #4971 of 4979 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am a new proud owner of the KDL-55w900a. The picture quality on this TV is amazing and has to be seen to be believed! However, there were some 'issues' when I first got it.

1) Error message popped up immediately when trying to pair 'One-Touch' remote
2) Couldn't find any Bluetooth devices nearby, even though there were a few
3) After finally receiving the 3D glasses that were supposed to be included, none of them pair!

So, doing the research and digging that I tend to be very good at, I found the service menu and diagnostic self check screens. (Display + 5 + Vol Up + Power, and Display + 5 + Vol Down + Power - respectively).

I've seen some screenshots of the self check screen in some postings along this thread, and to my astonishment... there is a 'firmware version' # listed next to BT: (bottom right side in self check screen). The difference with mine is that there is NOTHING listed next to BT: ... Also, I have a picture (attached) from the 'Service Menu' regarding the Bluetooth... which is also blank in places I don't think it should be.

I've already ordered the replacement module: Sony 1-492-062-11 (J20H070) Bluetooth Module
from ShopJimmy.com and it will be here tomorrow.

My questions:
1) Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the inside of the TV (facing the back with the back plane off)?
2) Will I need to do something special after replacing the module? Reset something in Service Menu?
3) Is this going to fix it, do you think?

Thank you!

Warm Regards,
Thomas Giboney
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-12 22.39.15.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	268506  
post #4972 of 4979 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgiboney View Post
I am a new proud owner of the KDL-55w900a. The picture quality on this TV is amazing and has to be seen to be believed! However, there were some 'issues' when I first got it.

1) Error message popped up immediately when trying to pair 'One-Touch' remote
2) Couldn't find any Bluetooth devices nearby, even though there were a few
3) After finally receiving the 3D glasses that were supposed to be included, none of them pair!

So, doing the research and digging that I tend to be very good at, I found the service menu and diagnostic self check screens. (Display + 5 + Vol Up + Power, and Display + 5 + Vol Down + Power - respectively).

I've seen some screenshots of the self check screen in some postings along this thread, and to my astonishment... there is a 'firmware version' # listed next to BT: (bottom right side in self check screen). The difference with mine is that there is NOTHING listed next to BT: ... Also, I have a picture (attached) from the 'Service Menu' regarding the Bluetooth... which is also blank in places I don't think it should be.

I've already ordered the replacement module: Sony 1-492-062-11 (J20H070) Bluetooth Module
from ShopJimmy.com and it will be here tomorrow.

My questions:
1) Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the inside of the TV (facing the back with the back plane off)?
2) Will I need to do something special after replacing the module? Reset something in Service Menu?
3) Is this going to fix it, do you think?

Thank you!

Warm Regards,
Thomas Giboney

First Tom congrats on being an owner of one of the finest tv's ever made by Sony in my book and with the way things are going at Sony possibley one of their last. Anyway. I have never had the back of my tv off so I cant help you there. Are you sure sure that its a faulty module? I know my tv at times has trouble finding blue tooth compatible devices but since I dont use the blue tooth feature it aint no big deal. Will you need to do anything special after replacing the module? More then likely just a plain tv reset. Now will this fix your doing work? I guess you'll find out, let us know. If it dont give Sony a call ASAP!
post #4973 of 4979 Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
@tomgiboney Hiya! Why do you need to do that alone? Are you knowledgeable enough to do it? Do you know what to do when opening the back plate? Do you have a service manual? You don't have your TV under warranty so that official service do it? I would say it is a risk.

Best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #4974 of 4979 Old Today, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
@tomgiboney Hiya! Why do you need to do that alone? Are you knowledgeable enough to do it? Do you know what to do when opening the back plate? Do you have a service manual? You don't have your TV under warranty so that official service do it? I would say it is a risk.

Best, d.

I would have to agree delfincek. He is taking a big risk by doing it himself even if he has a service manual. If it dont work and he calls up Sony and tells them what he did they may tell him that voids the warranty and he is on his own. He better be very careful.
post #4975 of 4979 Old Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I was doing some comparison between my W9 and the XBR X900a 4K tv's and I had no clue they were pretty much the same tv except for the 4K feature. The guts of the tv's are nearly identicle. I even learned the W9 even has a higher refresh rate then the X900! Then to top it off I find that the 2014 Sony 4K tv's dont even have some of the features that the W9 and the X900 had. So I ask this. Why in the world would Sony cut back on some of the features that the W9 had and the X900 had and ask such high prices for their 4K tv's? To me its rediculous. And to be honest I am glad I passed on Sony's 4K sets and went with the W9 because if it has been shown that the W9 could hang neck and neck with Sony's best sets, even still today, that says alot and shows how much Sony has cut corners just to make 4K viable. I also have seen the W9 is back on Sonys website for sale. The W9 is a 2013 model and to some outdated but what it shows me is its better then Sony's 2014 sets and has sold better then alot of Sonys current sets and maybe Sony has saw that as well and brought it back, if only for a short time. I think it should tell Sony something and thats that a top of the line non-4K set is selling better then their all mighty 4K sets. And lastly to those who say 4K sets are selling very well? Ask Sony if thats the case and if they are honest they aint selling well. The W9...Sony's best tv in years? Thats open for debate and depending on who you ask. But in my book its their best tv since they came out with the XBR8 and the XBR HX950. I would love to get everyones opinions on this. What do you guys think was Sonys best HDTV and why?
post #4976 of 4979 Old Today, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I would have to agree delfincek. He is taking a big risk by doing it himself even if he has a service manual. If it dont work and he calls up Sony and tells them what he did they may tell him that voids the warranty and he is on his own. He better be very careful.
Just FYI, there is no warranty here. This was a 'used' set bought off Amazon from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It stated it was in very good condition, had both remotes, and had the 4 pairs of 3D glasses (the nice ones that are capable of Simulview [a PS3/PS4 function]). When the TV arrived I first realized there were no 3D glasses.

I told Amazon that and they refunded enough of the purchase price ($1850 total, then refunded around $213.00) to buy 4 pairs of the same 3D glasses off Amazon, so I did. I'm thinking there was more to this and the glasses were not included on purpose...they were hoping I wouldn't find out the bluetooth was broken, or just not care! I have spoke at length to Amazon about this and I can return the TV (all the way up to Oct. 11th) even if this bluetooth module replacement doesn't work! They will even pay the folks to come back to the house, pick it up, and ship it back since it was their fault for not listing this issue in the description! On the flip side, if this module replacement DOES work... they've agreed to refund the total cost of the bluetooth module. I should tell them to reimburse me $100 to cover labor as well... but, as long as I get bluetooth and 3D back in operation... then I'll be happy.

I was very leery at first to purchase a used TV off Amazon, but I'm very glad I went with one from an Official Amazon store/seller...otherwise I'd be dealing with an individual.

Best thing is, I believe they found out real quick that the 3D was inoperable and it just sat somewhere. Last I checked, total hours runtime was just a hair over 30 hours!

---
As for the 'big risk' ... I am an IT guru and have been taking apart electronic devices, fixing them, and putting them back together for a tad over 20 years now. Laptops, iphones, android tablets, etc.. I'm extremely confident I can remove the phillips screws on the back of the set, lift off the back panel, then see where the module is, replace it, then put the back panel back on. The only other option is to return the TV...and there is only one of these TVs left on Amazon, from a private seller who wants $2700! So, it's either do this and quite possibly have a fully functional KDL-55W900A or return it and get something inferior (I can't warrant the $2000 Sony wants!).

Last edited by tomgiboney; Today at 07:35 AM.
post #4977 of 4979 Old Today, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ Don't be insulted, but I have to ask the obvious question--are you certain the glasses you got are BT ones? Just making sure you eliminate the obvious first. Occam's razor, and all.
post #4978 of 4979 Old Today, 11:05 AM

Quote:
^^^ Don't be insulted, but I have to ask the obvious question--are you certain the glasses you got are BT ones? Just making sure you eliminate the obvious first. Occam's razor, and all.
No insult taken... after all, I do work in the IT field! The glasses I have are 4 pairs of Sony TDG-BT500A. And of the 2 I opened, neither of them will sync, they just time out.
post #4979 of 4979 Old Today, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgiboney View Post
No insult taken... after all, I do work in the IT field! The glasses I have are 4 pairs of Sony TDG-BT500A. And of the 2 I opened, neither of them will sync, they just time out.
Well, the BT500A is probably a good indicator that it is a Bluetooth enabled device. Lol.

And just looked at it on Amazon--those are the ones that come included with the set. So, I'd say you're on the right track.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread