Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 171 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #5101 of 5129 Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I wonder if Sony will go back to QD? The 2014 models didn't seem like anything special so perhaps they have something nice in store for 15? I guess we will know in a few weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5129 Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I wonder if Sony will go back to QD? The 2014 models didn't seem like anything special so perhaps they have something nice in store for 15? I guess we will know in a few weeks!

QD was sucessful for Sony in 2013 with the X900a and the W900a so it would make sense for them to go back to the tech but will they? Thats the question. Maybe in 2015 we will see but I wont hold my breath.
post #5103 of 5129 Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Again MUGEN I aint experincing none of the issues you are with my W9. Pink color shift, Dim Edges none of those and I think the viewing angles are pretty good if you ask me. Much better then my old 46HX850 thats for sure. Your seeing ripples in your screen? It sounds like you have a defective set if your having all these issues. Getting a new W900 is pretty much a lost cause because I was told Sony has no more so your best bet is the W950B. Good luck with it if its the one you go with.
I spent quite a bit of time in this thread early this year and screen uniformity issues were common complaints, so I'm not surprised the OP had the same concerns. The pink shift is normal on this TV and exists with just about every set. The screen uniformity issue (often referred to as "the fingers" on the left and right of the screen do vary between sets, but are there to some degree on all sets. There is a lot to love about the picture on this TV (colours, blacks) but there are a lot of warts too. I went through 3 of these sets and only stuck with it because I got a very good price on it. I'm currently looking for another TV and will sell it no doubt.
post #5104 of 5129 Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
I spent quite a bit of time in this thread early this year and screen uniformity issues were common complaints, so I'm not surprised the OP had the same concerns. The pink shift is normal on this TV and exists with just about every set. The screen uniformity issue (often referred to as "the fingers" on the left and right of the screen do vary between sets, but are there to some degree on all sets. There is a lot to love about the picture on this TV (colours, blacks) but there are a lot of warts too. I went through 3 of these sets and only stuck with it because I got a very good price on it. I'm currently looking for another TV and will sell it no doubt.
Well I have had my W900a since May of this year and have had no screen uniformity issues, no clouding/flashlighting and have noticed no Pink shift issues and this all may be due to my tv is a 2014 production model, which means it was made in January 2014. Sony may have worked out those issues with later W900a models as they went along in production I dont know. So that being said I have experienced no "warts" with my tv. Its one of the most beautiful sets looks wise and PQ wise Ive ever owned and I have owned alot of flat screen tv's. Other's may have had issues with their W9's but not me and thats maybe just luck on my part and all I know is Im keeping my set for a very long time because truth be told nothing impresses me about 4K or anything else out there right now and I highly doubt 2015 will be any different that is unless OLED hits the market at an affordable price and again that aint going to happen. The way things look OLED might be shelved anyway.
post #5105 of 5129 Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do any owners had any issues with their W9 staying connected to their network. My set ever since last firmware started giving me problems when connecting through wifi. TV will give me error 1106 and 2200. Anyone had any similar issues.
post #5106 of 5129 Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I apologize if this topic has already been covered in this thread, but can anyone recommend any clip-on 3D glasses for people who wear corrective eye glasses? Wearing my 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses is less than ideal. I saw a thread where someone taped/glued some lenses to the inside of their active 3D glasses, but I was hoping for another possible solution. Thanks.
post #5107 of 5129 Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 AM

Liked: 10
A few weeks shy of one year ownership here. Just got back from overseas. Did latest firmware update. Bricked. Tried all the resets, troubleshooting with Sony, upgrade on a thumb drive, etc, no go.
Have to call them back today to schedule repair. Guy said last night to expect a long turn-around time. Hoping they can replace it with something sooner/ maybe use the chance to upgrade? Luckily i still have my Sony 46" XBR4 because it never sold.

Anyone else have their set totally bricked? (8 red flashing LED lights)
post #5108 of 5129 Old 12-31-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Well I have had my W900a since May of this year and have had no screen uniformity issues, no clouding/flashlighting and have noticed no Pink shift issues and this all may be due to my tv is a 2014 production model, which means it was made in January 2014. Sony may have worked out those issues with later W900a models as they went along in production I dont know. So that being said I have experienced no "warts" with my tv. Its one of the most beautiful sets looks wise and PQ wise Ive ever owned and I have owned alot of flat screen tv's. Other's may have had issues with their W9's but not me and thats maybe just luck on my part and all I know is Im keeping my set for a very long time because truth be told nothing impresses me about 4K or anything else out there right now and I highly doubt 2015 will be any different that is unless OLED hits the market at an affordable price and again that aint going to happen. The way things look OLED might be shelved anyway.
Could be. If that's the case then it took them until very late in the production period to get it right. I can say it's possible to get one of these sets without issues, but it's a lottery to be sure. The set before the one I own now had a stuck pixel and white balance problems in the center third of the screen but the banding was very minimal. The set I have now the white balance is much better and no stuck pixels but the horizontal banding is pretty bad. Off axis viewing may be what bothers me the most though as even sitting in the center of the TV you can see slight color shift on the left and right edges. I'm not sure when mine was built, I think fall of 2013, well into the production cycle anyway.

All this said, I agree, if this TV performed as well as yours I would be more than happy with it for a looong time.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5109 of 5129 Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabluefish View Post
A few weeks shy of one year ownership here. Just got back from overseas. Did latest firmware update. Bricked. Tried all the resets, troubleshooting with Sony, upgrade on a thumb drive, etc, no go.
Have to call them back today to schedule repair. Guy said last night to expect a long turn-around time. Hoping they can replace it with something sooner/ maybe use the chance to upgrade? Luckily i still have my Sony 46" XBR4 because it never sold.

Anyone else have their set totally bricked? (8 red flashing LED lights)

No problems here with the last firmware update. Hopefully the issue with your tv gets taken care of soon.
post #5110 of 5129 Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Still no ideas on how to get audio out of the TV and HDMI at the same time? I only need to do this once.
post #5111 of 5129 Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post
Still no ideas on how to get audio out of the TV and HDMI at the same time? I only need to do this once.
Not sure how you are connected.
post #5112 of 5129 Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have had my W900a for about 1 year. I have not had any issue and the set is fantastic. I would like to replace this with a 65" and move this set to another room. Here is hoping Sony comes thru in 2015.
post #5113 of 5129 Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobrinl View Post
I have had my W900a for about 1 year. I have not had any issue and the set is fantastic. I would like to replace this with a 65" and move this set to another room. Here is hoping Sony comes thru in 2015.

If Sony had been smart they would have come out with a 65inch w900a but for some reason they only came out with it in 55inches. I'm sure Sony will come through with yet another batch of 4K tv's in 2015 if thats what your looking for.
Kobrinl likes this.
post #5114 of 5129 Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Soooo the cats out of the bag. X900c is the new big dog.
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-ele...ra-hd-tv-line/

Doesnt look like Sony is using QD tho.
but new this year: Super thin, Android OS and a new video processor w/ HDR.
post #5115 of 5129 Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news for 4K lovers but for me? Like 2013 and 2014 I'm not interested and I'll pass. Staying with my W9 for yet another year and have no problem doing so.
post #5116 of 5129 Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I watched the NFL Playoff games this past weekend and the Golden Globe Awards and again my w900a just blows me away with its PQ. This tv is just simply beautiful and I cant rave enough about it and neither can my wife. Replace it with a 4K model? No chance. Replace it with an OLED model if they were avalible right now? No chance. Watching movies, sports, regular tv programs such as the Golden Globe Awards is simply a great experience that hasnt been matched by any tv that I have yet owned and I have owned a few. But there is no tv out there now or in the future that I would replace my tv with. The only way my tv ever gets replaced is when it finally cant be fixed or dies out. Other then that they can have their 4K tv's and OLED tv's because I will stick with my w900a which has been and continues to be an all around solid performer. One of the best tv's ever made by Sony in my book.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #5117 of 5129 Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

The X900C is not the 2015 flagship. The flagship model is the XBR-75X940C. It is FALD.
post #5118 of 5129 Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
The X900C is not the 2015 flagship. The flagship model is the XBR-75X940C. It is FALD.

Actually Sony is saying the 2014 x950b is still considered their flagship model for 2015.
post #5119 of 5129 Old 01-12-2015, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
About Quantum dots from QD Vision in X900A, W900A

"Color IQ™ " is an advanced light emitting semiconductor technology developed by QD Vision, Inc.
By integrating QD Vision's "Color IQ" optical component with Sony's unique display technologies, this television set achieves a significantly wider color gamut, which provides a far more natural and vivid viewing experience."

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/res.../color_iq.html

Even when both have QD but W900A and X900A look different because they use different panels or have different coatings

W900A (someone in W900A thread mentioned it is a 12 bit panel, confirmed by their sony insider?)
Deep black panel
http://www.sony-asia.com/TVP-LCD-TV/...478#deep_black

"Choose a BRAVIA TV with a Deep Black Panel and you'll notice the difference in your whole viewing experience. The panel has a low-reflective, clear surface which helps deliver high contrast, realistic detail and accurate colours. Keep your eye on the action with no distractions and no ‘wash-out’ effect on the picture when light from lamps or the sun hits the screen."

X900A, X900B (OptiContrast Panels)
"OptiContrast Panels have a special resin layer which absorbs any diffused light delivered from the backlight. What you see is high contrast and natural colours on screen - bringing out detail in the darkest movie scenes - and a real sense of depth.

This special resin layer inside OptiContrast Panels also absorbs ambient light in the room. When watching TV, it reduces glare from light sources such as lamps or sunlight."

Flagship models: X950B, X940C have both Deep Black Panel and OptiContrast Panels listed in their specs

Unfortunately people who bought X850B or W850A, W950B series don't have either of them. X850A has deep black panel.

In my opinion, Sony left out QD in 2014 to make more profit and they were confident that they could do it on their own. I remember W900A was like $3000 when they started, still very highly praised on Amazon and here. They stripped down and made W950B which sucked in 2014.

In 2015, I really hope they bring out something good with the X1, flashship X940C is a X950B based on specs, the only model you can get all the goodies (X1 pro, deep black, opticontrast, FALD).
post #5120 of 5129 Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post
About Quantum dots from QD Vision in X900A, W900A

"Color IQ™ " is an advanced light emitting semiconductor technology developed by QD Vision, Inc.
By integrating QD Vision's "Color IQ" optical component with Sony's unique display technologies, this television set achieves a significantly wider color gamut, which provides a far more natural and vivid viewing experience."

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/res.../color_iq.html

Even when both have QD but W900A and X900A look different because they use different panels or have different coatings

W900A (someone in W900A thread mentioned it is a 12 bit panel, confirmed by their sony insider?)
Deep black panel
http://www.sony-asia.com/TVP-LCD-TV/...478#deep_black

"Choose a BRAVIA TV with a Deep Black Panel and you'll notice the difference in your whole viewing experience. The panel has a low-reflective, clear surface which helps deliver high contrast, realistic detail and accurate colours. Keep your eye on the action with no distractions and no ‘wash-out’ effect on the picture when light from lamps or the sun hits the screen."

X900A, X900B (OptiContrast Panels)
"OptiContrast Panels have a special resin layer which absorbs any diffused light delivered from the backlight. What you see is high contrast and natural colours on screen - bringing out detail in the darkest movie scenes - and a real sense of depth.

This special resin layer inside OptiContrast Panels also absorbs ambient light in the room. When watching TV, it reduces glare from light sources such as lamps or sunlight."

Flagship models: X950B, X940C have both Deep Black Panel and OptiContrast Panels listed in their specs

Unfortunately people who bought X850B or W850A, W950B series don't have either of them. X850A has deep black panel.

In my opinion, Sony left out QD in 2014 to make more profit and they were confident that they could do it on their own. I remember W900A was like $3000 when they started, still very highly praised on Amazon and here. They stripped down and made W950B which sucked in 2014.

In 2015, I really hope they bring out something good with the X1, flashship X940C is a X950B based on specs, the only model you can get all the goodies (X1 pro, deep black, opticontrast, FALD).

Nice post justned. I own the w900a but here is what pisses me off about Sony. Sony-Asia released the w900a with the opticontrast panel but they left it off the US model . That made no sense whats so ever to me! I called Sony and asked one of the reps why they would do that and they had no answer for it, I also asked them why Sony only released a 55inch version of the w900a and not a 65inch and again no answer for it! But the rep did tell me that the w900a was supposed to be the next XBR model but that went to the x900a because of the 4K crap! And I didnt even ask that question but yet he gave me that answer!!!!!! Ok Im done venting.
post #5121 of 5129 Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm about to return a XBR55X850B to bestbuy and thinking about pulling the plug on a Sony refurbished W900A,
Just feeling funny about buying a 2 year old model...what do you all think?
Its $1533 with 2 year extended warranty....
steve1971 likes this.
post #5122 of 5129 Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Well I watched the NFL Playoff games this past weekend and the Golden Globe Awards and again my w900a just blows me away with its PQ. This tv is just simply beautiful and I cant rave enough about it and neither can my wife. Replace it with a 4K model? No chance. Replace it with an OLED model if they were avalible right now? No chance. Watching movies, sports, regular tv programs such as the Golden Globe Awards is simply a great experience that hasnt been matched by any tv that I have yet owned and I have owned a few. But there is no tv out there now or in the future that I would replace my tv with. The only way my tv ever gets replaced is when it finally cant be fixed or dies out. Other then that they can have their 4K tv's and OLED tv's because I will stick with my w900a which has been and continues to be an all around solid performer. One of the best tv's ever made by Sony in my book.

I hear ya Steve. I am really happy with my 65X900A and the color capability from the quantum dot backlight is really amazing. I had a big calibration thread going in the calibration forum with X900A and W900A owners. We got some interesting data about the models and different LCD panels used, and determined they all shared the same backlight.

I scored my 65X900A when it went on closeout, so the price was right too.

People who haven't lived with one of these sets for a while just will not get what we're talking about. Good HDTV has the richness and subtlety of color one sees in a high-end glossy fashion magazine. I've played some "Mastered in 4k" blue-ray titles on this set and the qd backlight enables the wide gamut of XvYCC encoded disks. "Taxi Driver" in the 'mastered in 4k' edition blue ray is amazing. The cinematography of that film has so much intense, deep color that even the HDTV rec.709 color gamut can't express it.

I'm pretty sure your W900A will decode XvYCC and display it in the native panel's full gamut.
steve1971 likes this.

nuke
post #5123 of 5129 Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Saad View Post
I'm about to return a XBR55X850B to bestbuy and thinking about pulling the plug on a Sony refurbished W900A,
Just feeling funny about buying a 2 year old model...what do you all think?
Its $1533 with 2 year extended warranty....

I say go for it. As long as you get the extended warranty your good to go. The w900a is one of the finest HDTV's made...period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I hear ya Steve. I am really happy with my 65X900A and the color capability from the quantum dot backlight is really amazing. I had a big calibration thread going in the calibration forum with X900A and W900A owners. We got some interesting data about the models and different LCD panels used, and determined they all shared the same backlight.

I scored my 65X900A when it went on closeout, so the price was right too.

People who haven't lived with one of these sets for a while just will not get what we're talking about. Good HDTV has the richness and subtlety of color one sees in a high-end glossy fashion magazine. I've played some "Mastered in 4k" blue-ray titles on this set and the qd backlight enables the wide gamut of XvYCC encoded disks. "Taxi Driver" in the 'mastered in 4k' edition blue ray is amazing. The cinematography of that film has so much intense, deep color that even the HDTV rec.709 color gamut can't express it.

I'm pretty sure your W900A will decode XvYCC and display it in the native panel's full gamut.

Well said nuke and yes my w900a decodes the XvYCC. I found that out when I played the Mastered in 4k Spider Man Blu ray. All I can say is fantastic. Im now going to have to watch Taxi Driver Mastered in 4k thanks to you buddy! And your right....people who havent lived with one of our sets just will NEVER get what we are talking about when it comes to the x900a or the w900a. In my book 2 of the very best tv's made by Sony in years.
George Saad likes this.
post #5124 of 5129 Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 PM

Had mine over a year - no picture issues at all. looks as good as the day i got it home. the only issue i have is one of my internal speakers is blow.. buzzes when music is played through it.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5125 of 5129 Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreiter View Post
Had mine over a year - no picture issues at all. looks as good as the day i got it home. the only issue i have is one of my internal speakers is blow.. buzzes when music is played through it.

If there is one negative I can say about my W9 its the tv's built in speakers. They are ok but I'd rather leave them off then on.
post #5126 of 5129 Old Today, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm looking to replace my KDL-40L4000 with a bigger panel and had settled on a 50 inch for the space it's in (55 max), but I've found a refurbished 46W905 locally with 12 month warranty. I really like the 2013 W9, but couldn't justify the price of it last year.

Not sure how I feel about spending £640 on the smaller 46W9 when I can get a 50W7 for less (delivered though, not local pickup).
post #5127 of 5129 Unread Today, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
I'm looking to replace my KDL-40L4000 with a bigger panel and had settled on a 50 inch for the space it's in (55 max), but I've found a refurbished 46W905 locally with 12 month warranty. I really like the 2013 W9, but couldn't justify the price of it last year.

Not sure how I feel about spending £640 on the smaller 46W9 when I can get a 50W7 for less (delivered though, not local pickup).

To be honest for a 46inch version of the W9 and spending what you would on it it aint a bad idea because of how good this series is. Its up to you though if you want to go bigger or not. For years I thought a 46inch tv was good enough for me until I got my 55inch W900A and I saw how wrong I was! That being said its funny that here in the U.S they never released a 46inch W900A or a 65inch version which would have been a killer. We only got a 55incher and that still befuddles me to know end but thats Sony for you and I have givin up trying to figure them out.
post #5128 of 5129 Unread Today, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I loved the 55W905, but whenever they are available, they're still a lot of money.

I went back to the outlet store and had a demo of one of the 46W9 models tonight. Both of them had been moved together, so I inspected them all over. One had small marks on the bottom of the screen like the glass had been hit and the other was immaculate with a minuscule chip in the bezel on the left-hand side, facing out. All the accessories for the one I demo'd were still factory sealed (manual, batteries, both remotes, and all four 3D glasses).

Both 46s are £640 and they have a 40" one in now that's £720. I reserved the 46 I tested and will make a decision tomorrow. It's a nice set, but I can't help thinking about spending £640 on a 2013 46" screen versus £580 on a 2014 50" screen, both with 12 month warranty.
post #5129 of 5129 Unread Today, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
I loved the 55W905, but whenever they are available, they're still a lot of money.

I went back to the outlet store and had a demo of one of the 46W9 models tonight. Both of them had been moved together, so I inspected them all over. One had small marks on the bottom of the screen like the glass had been hit and the other was immaculate with a minuscule chip in the bezel on the left-hand side, facing out. All the accessories for the one I demo'd were still factory sealed (manual, batteries, both remotes, and all four 3D glasses).

Both 46s are £640 and they have a 40" one in now that's £720. I reserved the 46 I tested and will make a decision tomorrow. It's a nice set, but I can't help thinking about spending £640 on a 2013 46" screen versus £580 on a 2014 50" screen, both with 12 month warranty.

mjpartyboy, let me say this and that is I will take the 2013 W9 series tv's anyday over any 2014 set made by Sony. If it were me I would jump on the 46inch no questions asked. But that's just me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page