Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 177 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #5281 of 5301 Old 03-16-2015, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
Anybody have any idea where I can get the "Guide Pins" for this TV for the stand. I can't find them on Sony's site. They help support the TV stand and screw into the back of the TV. The stand has spaces that they slide into. I don't have mine as I purchased a display model that apparently had them removed.
iirc the guide pins are mainly there to allow you to initially hook/hang/support the screen on the stand when you are assembling it. the 4 additional screws then secure the screen to the stand. the guide pins probably provide some additional structural support, but any similar screws would work (and dont need to be "sony" )

they just need to have the right thread diameter, length of thread, and the correct shape head.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 03-16-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5301 Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have any advice for me with this tv when it comes to using game mode with the ps4? Specifically, it darkens and washes out the picture a lot under game mode. Is there something I can change to fix that?
steve1971 likes this.
post #5283 of 5301 Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
Anyone have any advice for me with this tv when it comes to using game mode with the ps4? Specifically, it darkens and washes out the picture a lot under game mode. Is there something I can change to fix that?

Try adjusting your Game Mode settings. When my friend comes over with his PS3 and we game I leave the Game Mode settings as they are which how they were "out of the box" as they say.
post #5284 of 5301 Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I watched the Hobbit last night and all I can say is jaw dropping!
post #5285 of 5301 Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Perhaps the PS4's auto range option is sending a signal to the TV that looks like this with your settings. I think its auto mode defaults to sending a Limited signal, so perhaps try forcing it to Full and calibrate the TV around that. Just a thought.
post #5286 of 5301 Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46
mjpartyboy has a point. Set everything (PS4 and TV) on Full for gaming. On TV you can find that setting under: Home / Settings / Display Settings / Video Input Settings / Dynamic Range / HDMI (x)

best d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5287 of 5301 Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM

Ive already done that before i posted this. Any other ideas?
post #5288 of 5301 Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM

Liked: 19
When you say that Game Mode "darkens and washes out" -- which picture mode are you referring to in comparison? (If you compare to "General-Vivid", then it's no surprise )

As Steve said, adjust your picture settings under Game mode. Game-Standard behaves pretty much like General-Standard, and Game-Original behaves pretty much like General-Custom.
post #5289 of 5301 Old 03-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post
When you say that Game Mode "darkens and washes out" -- which picture mode are you referring to in comparison? (If you compare to "General-Vivid", then it's no surprise )

As Steve said, adjust your picture settings under Game mode. Game-Standard behaves pretty much like General-Standard, and Game-Original behaves pretty much like General-Custom.
Well, i know it's not going to be like vivid, but what I mean is the black levels aren't as black as they look washed out grey. I've adjusted it and gotten it to where I like it, but is there anything under game mode that i shouldn't turn back on (besides what is obviously greyed out so i cant turn on)? I don't want to use game mode but then still have some input lag because i enabled a few features
post #5290 of 5301 Old 03-28-2015, 02:09 PM

Liked: 19
Sorry if I'm dull, but for me it's a bit hard to decide what your actual problem is. One time the picture is too dark, but then, when "the blacks look grey", it's kind of "too bright" again, isn't it? Moreover, you did not say the problem is with games in general (which would indicate wrong RGB levels setting), but you explicitely said it is when using Game Mode (which would collapse things down to a problem with picture settings).

So. Is the problem present with games always, regardless of Scene Mode? Or are games okay with Scene General or Scene Cinema, and look only bad with Scene Game?

Simple test. Bring on a dark screen with lots of black. The TV's native black point is at "Brightness=50", exactly there and nowhere else. Check in a very dark room. When things are correct, then the plain-black level should not change with Brightness<<50, and full-black should immediately begin to brighten up with Brightness=51..52..53.

If you need to bring brightness down to ~36 for full-black to get truly black, then there is an input level mistake (input="limited", TV expecting "full").
If true-black only starts to brighten up from Brightness=64 upwards, then there is an input level mistake (input="full", TV expecting "limited").
post #5291 of 5301 Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
new member to this forum here. sorry if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me how to access to diagnostics of my kdl-55w900a ?

i am trying to just get a read out on the total times booted, run hours, etc. im not trying to change anything and i have no issues currently.

any insight as how i can obtain this info would be great. thanks
post #5292 of 5301 Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post
Sorry if I'm dull, but for me it's a bit hard to decide what your actual problem is. One time the picture is too dark, but then, when "the blacks look grey", it's kind of "too bright" again, isn't it? Moreover, you did not say the problem is with games in general (which would indicate wrong RGB levels setting), but you explicitely said it is when using Game Mode (which would collapse things down to a problem with picture settings).

So. Is the problem present with games always, regardless of Scene Mode? Or are games okay with Scene General or Scene Cinema, and look only bad with Scene Game?

Simple test. Bring on a dark screen with lots of black. The TV's native black point is at "Brightness=50", exactly there and nowhere else. Check in a very dark room. When things are correct, then the plain-black level should not change with Brightness<<50, and full-black should immediately begin to brighten up with Brightness=51..52..53.

If you need to bring brightness down to ~36 for full-black to get truly black, then there is an input level mistake (input="limited", TV expecting "full").
If true-black only starts to brighten up from Brightness=64 upwards, then there is an input level mistake (input="full", TV expecting "limited").

It's only when putting on the game mode in scene select. The picture is outstanding when watching a movie, tv, etc. The picture istself is dark. The blacks are washed out. I've managed to someone alleviate this by altering a lot of the settings in game mode but won't that just increase input lag again?
post #5293 of 5301 Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's only when putting on the game mode in scene select. The picture is outstanding when watching a movie, tv, etc. The picture istself is dark. The blacks are washed out. I've managed to someone alleviate this by altering a lot of the settings in game mode but won't that just increase input lag again?

In my opinion its not the tv but something with your setting choice. I know from experience game mode out of the box is outstanding and that all I do when I game is switch to game mode and I'm ready to go with no adjustments being made. But thats just me.
post #5294 of 5301 Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM

Would you mind posting your settings if it's not too much trouble? I'd be all for giving your settings a whirl to see where im going wrong

whoops, nevermind, i see you leave them out of the box
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Keirik; 03-29-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #5295 of 5301 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty20 View Post
new member to this forum here. sorry if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me how to access to diagnostics of my kdl-55w900a ?

i am trying to just get a read out on the total times booted, run hours, etc. im not trying to change anything and i have no issues currently.

any insight as how i can obtain this info would be great. thanks
How to Check your Sony Bravia Panel Usage Hours

Turn your TV off first!

From Remote press the following buttons:
Press Display (or i+ on EU model remote)
Volume -
Power

Gets you into the diagnostics screen which shows the hours. The bottom left 5 numbers are the hours, next 5 are boot count and last 5 are the lcd panel hours.

To get out of this self diagnostic menu just turn off your TV.

best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5296 of 5301 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

Turn your TV off first!

Volume -
Power

Gets you into the diagnostics screen which shows the hours. The bottom left 5 numbers are the hours, next 5 are boot count and last 5 are the lcd panel hours.

best, d.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I tried this and nothing happened at all, the TV just turned on like it usually does. I tried both pressing the buttons sequentially and also simultaneously and neither worked.
post #5297 of 5301 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It's only when putting on the game mode in scene select. ........... The picture istself is dark. The blacks are washed out.
the reason your statement seems confusing is because "washed out" would suggest your brightness is set very high or the out/in HDMI port setting in the console and tv dont match.(full/limited), yet at the same time you say your picture is to dark. i have no idea what video signal these consoles are able to send out, but their respective forums (or spec sheet) will be able to tell you. if the console is able to use RGB 0-255 then set the sony hdmi input port to "full", if if the console can only send 16-235 set your sony to "limited". as a ballpark reference point your brightnes should be around 50, if its closer to 40 or 60 something is likely to be incorrectly set (some exceptions exist)

assuming that part is set correctly, one possible explanation would be.....

make sure your "motionflow" is not set to"impulse" , this would significantly darken the picture (as well as adding an element of image flikker, which some people find very unpleasant). leave the motion flow on the "off" setting. additionally, check what "colour temperature" setting you are using for gaming, some of these can significantly brighten or darken the image. for movie watching "warm 2' is closest to 6500k i believe (eg, neutral daylight), but that would not be the best setting for gaming. (? may initially try "neutral", but compare the different options to see what brightens/darkens the picture )

since your console can play movies on dvd and bluray, maybe initially get a sense of right/wrong brightness and blacklevel/colour settings while watching some movie clips. if you know they mainly look right and when playing a game it looks wrong, there might be issues with how that game is coded/designed (unlikely to be the case with your current problems you describe)

Quote:
i've managed to someone alleviate this by altering a lot of the settings in game mode but won't that just increase input lag again?
try and avoid compensating for an incorrect hdmi port setting (or motionflow/temp setting) by altering other settings, 2 wrongs might look right but the end result is probably not very correct.

Last edited by Jorgens; Yesterday at 08:42 PM.
post #5298 of 5301 Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

Turn your TV off first!

Volume -
Power

best, d.

Actually, I can confirm that this did work. Thank you for that advice, it was just tricky and I had to hit the buttons a bit faster than I was.

5000 hours already wow !!! Is this bad? Or okay? I've never had an issue with the TV and love it but if someone could put this number in context with a "life expectancy" or something of that sort I'd appreciate it.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5299 of 5301 Old Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, I can confirm that this did work. Thank you for that advice, it was just tricky and I had to hit the buttons a bit faster than I was.

5000 hours already wow !!! Is this bad? Or okay? I've never had an issue with the TV and love it but if someone could put this number in context with a "life expectancy" or something of that sort I'd appreciate it.

5000 hours? When did you get your set? If your set is new then you must watch alot of tv . I got my W9 last May and it has just under 2000 hours or so on it. I really wouldnt worry alot about "Life expectancy" because LED tv's can last a long long time if taken care of. I baby the crap out of mine and I put an additional 2 year warranty on mine just in case.
post #5300 of 5301 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
5000 hours? When did you get your set? If your set is new then you must watch alot of tv . I got my W9 last May and it has just under 2000 hours or so on it. I really wouldnt worry alot about "Life expectancy" because LED tv's can last a long long time if taken care of. I baby the crap out of mine and I put an additional 2 year warranty on mine just in case.
It's about 2 years old now, but I LOVE IT and want it for at least 5 more years hopefully… I've been looking more into the "life expectancy" issue now with regards to LED/LCD TVs and trying to plan for this one. If I put 2000 hours of usage on it per year for the next 5 years, that will bring it up to 15,000 hours. I've always just ran it on a brightness level of 7 I believe, which is moderate.

What I'm wondering is this:

I know nobody can predict the failure of certain parts of the TV, but there seems to be a recurring discussion that the LEDs will eventually "dim" . Does this happen abruptly, or gradually (and if so, approximately when)?

When do you think you need to start worrying about the life of the LED TV? 10k hours in? 20k? I'm just trying to develop a loose plan for the future with regards to this TV. I don't want to have to worry about anything either, like I'm starting to do right now.

It has been my favorite TV I've ever owned and I'm very happy and at this point I'm just hoping for awesome longevity.
post #5301 of 5301 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's about 2 years old now, but I LOVE IT and want it for at least 5 more years hopefully… I've been looking more into the "life expectancy" issue now with regards to LED/LCD TVs and trying to plan for this one. If I put 2000 hours of usage on it per year for the next 5 years, that will bring it up to 15,000 hours. I've always just ran it on a brightness level of 7 I believe, which is moderate.

What I'm wondering is this:

I know nobody can predict the failure of certain parts of the TV, but there seems to be a recurring discussion that the LEDs will eventually "dim" . Does this happen abruptly, or gradually (and if so, approximately when)?

When do you think you need to start worrying about the life of the LED TV? 10k hours in? 20k? I'm just trying to develop a loose plan for the future with regards to this TV. I don't want to have to worry about anything either, like I'm starting to do right now.

It has been my favorite TV I've ever owned and I'm very happy and at this point I'm just hoping for awesome longevity.
First the LED dim gradually, second I have seen LED tv's with 20k on them and they still look good but it differs with brand. The cheaper the brand the less its going to last. Your right know one can predict if a part on the tv is going to fail and this is why I have added a 2 year warranty to mine just in case because you never know but I think you will be alright for a few years knock on wood with your W9. I dont plan on replacing my W9 for at least 6 years or so because I want to see how the OLED tv thing is going to work out as well as 4K. But other then that unless my tv literally burns itself out I see it sitting proudly as the center of my HT setup for years (6 or 7 at the most, maybe more who knows?) to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page