Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes
post #5311 of 5313 Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
for the average piece of high street electronics made in 3e world countries that is pretty correct

but this is where manufacturing quality and product design (components) comes in. and it should be the case that for the more reputable brands, and particularly their higher end models, that we have a 10+ years life expectancy for this type of product (unless you are extremely unlucky and get a monday lemon). lcd is also a mature and well understood technology, and if no manufacturing errors occur, should have a fairly predictable lifespan.

my estimate, and we can only talk personal opinions or refer to consumer reports here, would be that in 10 yrs time 90% of the higher end tv models from brands like sony/samsung/LG/panasonic will still be functioning perfectly fine. and most of the faulty ones will have been identified in the first few months (or even weeks) of use. and that is what the average consumer has to be able to expect for a good TV, fridge or washing machine. most people who will purchase new products within that 10 yr time span would do so out of choice because they want new features or a newer product of a different design.

in contrast, most of the big electronic stores that sell "no brand" cheap chinese crap (pardon my french) at discount prices will have a high failure rate. these devices are made from parts provided by the lowest bidders, are designed to provide basic features with low spec technology, use cheap manufacturing processes, and have poor quality control. Their sales model is also based on profits to be made from by high volume sales at low discounted prices , and high failure rates are simply part of this

however in our case, other then in the future maybe wanting a larger display or a newer/better technology (like oled in 5 yrs or so when the technology has matured) most of us should be pretty safe expecting +10 yrs imho. btw, most current oled tv's do have a limited lfespan, and early reports indicate one of the 3 primary color oled's used in many of those screens only lasts for 2 or 3 yrs (after which ii starts to fade prematurely, and this obviously would distort the quality of the image). for early adopters who have money to burn this might not matter, in a couple of yrs they would move onto the next toy

Well said Jorgens. Couldnt have said better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5313 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
it looks like Samsung might have its version of the W9.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55JS8500FXZA

Its a 4K with QD. I haven't seen it in person yet but Im very curious how it stacks
up to our beloved W9.
post #5313 of 5313 Unread Today, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
it looks like Samsung might have its version of the W9.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55JS8500FXZA

Its a 4K with QD. I haven't seen it in person yet but Im very curious how it stacks
up to our beloved W9.

helvetica bold, I am also interested to see how it stacks up against our W900A's as well. On paper it looks to be a beautiful set from Samsung but until I see it in person thats all I will say. I have said it once and I will say it again and that is I think it was a BIG mistake for Sony to drop the QD technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page