Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 180 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 5383 Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
If you look at the charts I posted, the JS series produces a smaller spectrum compared to the w900a. The original QD television is the w900a, and it is still king in this regard. On the downside, cadmium is extremely toxic.
hiya Ufo,

i am still learning the basics about calibration, so didnt want to comment on the spectral comparison until i know a bit more of the concepts involved.

in particular, since it is the backlight that determines the overall brightness with lcd screens, how is it possible the peak luminescence of that new JS 2015 samsung series is below a non-HDR QD panel from 2013 ? i suspect the peak hight therefore has some different meaning, yet since it represents a 6500K spectrum it would logically suggests it could be luminescence (and our w900a's are known to have a very vivid red, which would fit). the wideness of the RGB peaks has to do with purity of each color. so the cleaner the peaks the better (and the more precise each peak aligns with the individual R G B frequencies the better)

Last edited by Jorgens; 05-25-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5383 Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The cadmium is safely sealed inside the W9 correct? We're all not going to turn into the hulk in a few years, right? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5373 of 5383 Old 05-25-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
The cadmium is safely sealed inside the W9 correct? We're all not going to turn into the hulk in a few years, right? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First yes the cadmium is safely sealed inside the glass of the W9 and second I saw the Samsung JS series tv just the other day at my local BB and once again not impressed by 4K or the PQ of the tv. It could have been the way they had it set up I dont know but from what I saw I still would take my W9 over it anyday. Like 2014 sets I dont see any 2015 sets from any of the manufacturers replacing my W9. OLED and HDR look promising but for me its going to be a wait and see thing.
post #5374 of 5383 Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wanted a 1080p set and was very discouraged by the offerings this year. Not ready to make the OLED plunge. So I emailed my local AV shop regarding the Sony 950B 55". He replied that he had none left BUT he did have a 55" 900A new in the box that was ordered for a customer but never picked up (who subsequently bought a 4K set). I IMMEDIATELY let him know I would take it! And the price was incredible.

Sooo my new 55" 900A is being delivered this Saturday. I cannot wait!!!!!! Soooo excited!!!!!!!
post #5375 of 5383 Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaturno View Post
I wanted a 1080p set and was very discouraged by the offerings this year. Not ready to make the OLED plunge. So I emailed my local AV shop regarding the Sony 950B 55". He replied that he had none left BUT he did have a 55" 900A new in the box that was ordered for a customer but never picked up (who subsequently bought a 4K set). I IMMEDIATELY let him know I would take it! And the price was incredible.

Sooo my new 55" 900A is being delivered this Saturday. I cannot wait!!!!!! Soooo excited!!!!!!!

Congrats. You just landed what is still considered to be one of the best HDTV's ever made by Sony and you got a new one at that.
post #5376 of 5383 Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn I like scrolling through the 4K threads and seeing people complaining about clouding, banding, flashlighting ect. Did they really think that 4K tv's were not going to have those issues? Theres more to a tv then pixels but some of the 4K fan boys have yet to figure that out. My good o'l W900A is just a 1080p tv that dont suffer from any of those faults and has PQ that can match any 4K tv out there. Pretty darn nice when you hear on some internet sites that the W9 can even match OLED tv's. Thats pretty high praise for a 2013/2014 tv.
post #5377 of 5383 Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Ive been trying to hunt another w900a for months now and yet one just falls from the sky for you. Enjoy it, as there will never be another television like the w900a ever again.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5378 of 5383 Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I wanted a 1080p set .......... he did have a 55" 900A new in the box that was ordered for a customer but never picked up (who subsequently bought a 4K set). ............
you might have been very lucky there

make sure you do the basic checks once you receive it to make sure it is a genuine sale, look to see if the packaging is still sealed and no indication it has been been unpacked or assembled before. also look for possible external damage to the unit. or other cosmetic reasons that might have caused a previous buyer to return it.

once assembled look for possible dead pixels or any significant backlight uniformity problems (all of which are unlikely if the unit is indeed new).

lastly, you can check for how long the unit has been run previously by entering the service mode (with the tv powered off use the remote and in rapid sequence press <DISPLAY> <5> <Volume +> <POWER>) . the tv will turn on and show the basic service info with the hrs of on-time and the number of times it was turned on/off.

Last edited by Jorgens; 05-27-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #5379 of 5383 Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 AM

looking at some reviewers recent comments on the HDR implementation in the new Samsung 2015 flagship JS9500 range, it gives an indication there is a lot of hype around it and these early implementations are still of rather limited value

Quote:
Probably most impressive among the specifications is high dynamic range technology. ...... Contrary to the common misconception that HDR simply pushes the brightness on the entire screen to eye-searing levels (around 1,000 cd/m2) which would be pointless since we calibrate our TVs to much lower luminance for a more comfortable viewing experience in the home environment, the technology is applied locally (with the help of FALD) and specifically to certain bright areas to improve highlight (and perhaps even whiter-than-white) detail and enhance realism.

It’s interesting to see Samsung attempting to counter the very real OLED threat from cross-town arch-rival LG Electronics by pursuing the other end of the contrast ratio spectrum: instead of lowering black level and improving shadow detail, Samsung is boosting luminance and gradation in brighter portions of the screen. To be fair, we’ve seen a similar strategic course of action from the Korean brand before – the company redesigned its F8500 plasma display panel (PDP) for better daytime performance rather than trying to match or surpass the blacks on Panasonic’s critically acclaimed plasmas.
from http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1501053974.htm

i would have seen the increased detail at the lower end of the spectrum (grey/black) as the most interesting part of the HDR development, but instead the 2 korean rivals are trying to outdo each other just for the sake of making some specs claims ! samsung cant beat LG's oled in the black levels so they try and hit them in the peak brightness bragging rights instead which is pretty meaningless in the real world experience of getting better video on home lcd tv's (oled has major problems reaching the 1000 nits minimum brightness spec now defined for UHD)

Last edited by Jorgens; 05-27-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #5380 of 5383 Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 PM

i have been watching the "planet earth" bluray special edition release in the last few days, and it is absolutely stunning on this great sony tv. the quality of the video onscreen is so good it actually looks 3 dimensional, and provides a crisp clear image, great texture sensations, detail, vivid realistic colors without being overdone or to saturated, and a 3 dimensional image perspective that has great depth.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Planet...0/#UserReviews

the initial release of this series was on dvd, but has been re-encoded in VC1 at resolution 1080i50. for those interested be aware there were several versions of this program on dvd and bluray, and this remastered/re-encoded special edition is the one with the enhanced video quality

in the last few months my HTPC has really come together and i have sorted out the last few setup issues. the results with this type of good quality video source material is really amazing, it is truly like a window into the virtual world you are watching.

no doubt the lucky owners of the 4k version of this 2013 sony quantum dot lcd tv ( XBR-55X900A & XBR-65X900A ) would have even a notch above what we can squeeze out of our w900a's in performance when viewing the same material, but for the almost 2000$ price premium they must have paid they dont have full implementation of the 4k hardware specs (and their owners thread seems to reflect that frustration, mostly in the lack of future proofing it has for such a high end premium 4k unit). looking at the reviews of those 4k sony QD tv's however, i think the additional upscaling of this 1080i50 material would be an further performance bonus for them and it would take it another notch higher.

for anybody here interested in the David Attenborough documentaries, i can highly recommend this special edition release for its exceptionally good video quality
helvetica bold and steve1971 like this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 05-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.
post #5381 of 5383 Old 05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Ive been trying to hunt another w900a for months now and yet one just falls from the sky for you. Enjoy it, as there will never be another television like the w900a ever again.
Yea UFO talk about someone getting lucky indeed. To have a brand new W900A fall into your lap is what I call lucky since they are now pretty much rarer then hens teeth. And I agree there will never be another tv like the W9 ever seen again on the market. It was and is truly one of a kind and I am damn proud to own one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
i have been watching the "planet earth" bluray special edition release in the last few days, and it is absolutely stunning on this great sony tv. the quality of the video onscreen is so good it actually looks 3 dimensional, and provides a crisp clear image, great texture sensations, detail, vivid realistic colors without being overdone or to saturated, and a 3 dimensional image perspective that has great depth.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Planet...0/#UserReviews

the initial release of this series was on dvd, but has been re-encoded in VC1 at resolution 1080i50. for those interested be aware there were several versions of this program on dvd and bluray, and this remastered/re-encoded special edition is the one with the enhanced video quality

in the last few months my HTPC has really come together and i have sorted out the last few setup issues. the results with this type of good quality video source material is really amazing, it is truly like a window into the virtual world you are watching.

no doubt the lucky owners of the 4k version of this 2013 sony quantum dot lcd tv ( XBR-55X900A & XBR-65X900A ) would have even a notch above what we can squeeze out of our w900a's in performance when viewing the same material, but for the almost 2000$ price premium they must have paid they dont have full implementation of the 4k hardware specs (and their owners thread seems to reflect that frustration, mostly in the lack of future proofing it has for such a high end premium 4k unit). looking at the reviews of those 4k sony QD tv's however, i think the additional upscaling of this 1080i50 material would be an further performance bonus for them and it would take it another notch higher.

for anybody here interested in the David Attenborough documentaries, i can highly recommend this special edition release for its exceptionally good video quality
Jorgens. I have seen several different versions of Planet Earth on Blu but not the Special Edition you mentioned but now because of you I am gonna have to get it and check it out on my W9! That being said. The X900A was a good looking 4K tv and thats coming from a guy who has no love for 4K. But I will give it its due like I said it was and still is a good looking tv and if I were one of the owners of the X900A I would be very happy to have it. I know it sucks because it doesnt have all the new stuff the new 4K tv's have but its still a beauty and I wouldnt be complaining.
post #5382 of 5383 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Hi Steve,

the "planet earth" bluray special edition is very good quality (i had only seen an older dvd version before on a different display). but if you already own the older release of it on bluray (which was 1080p, but had a few minor video quality issues and was a different encoding), then even if the newer special edition has cleaned up the video further (and is re-encoded) it might not be worth a re-purchase of the same documentary at full price.

If you dont own, or havnt seen (? video rental store), the newer 2014 released BBC "Life Story" (1080p), than that release is definitely superior in video quality, and would be the best i have seen so far in nature documentaries. I cant recall all the information on that project, but i think it was the first time they filmed it completely with digital 4K cameras (took several years to film). see http://realscreen.com/2013/04/08/nab...e-bar-with-4k/ the difference in the 2006 filmed "planet earth", and the much more recent 2014 "life story" really does show the improvements in filming technology used. Be also aware that some of those BBC documentaries have different releases in different countries, and sometimes even the narrator is different (some are redubbed by other commentators, like "operah" for ex, not sure i could sit through an hr of that

i really enjoyed both series (and have not fully viewed all episodes), i just wanted to add a slight word of caution about the quality difference
steve1971 likes this.
post #5383 of 5383 Old Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
Hi Steve,

the "planet earth" bluray special edition is very good quality (i had only seen an older dvd version before on a different display). but if you already own the older release of it on bluray (which was 1080p, but had a few minor video quality issues and was a different encoding), then even if the newer special edition has cleaned up the video further (and is re-encoded) it might not be worth a re-purchase of the same documentary at full price.

If you dont own, or havnt seen (? video rental store), the newer 2014 released BBC "Life Story" (1080p), than that release is definitely superior in video quality, and would be the best i have seen so far in nature documentaries. I cant recall all the information on that project, but i think it was the first time they filmed it completely with digital 4K cameras (took several years to film). see http://realscreen.com/2013/04/08/nab...e-bar-with-4k/ the difference in the 2006 filmed "planet earth", and the much more recent 2014 "life story" really does show the improvements in filming technology used. Be also aware that some of those BBC documentaries have different releases in different countries, and sometimes even the narrator is different (some are redubbed by other commentators, like "operah" for ex, not sure i could sit through an hr of that

i really enjoyed both series (and have not fully viewed all episodes), i just wanted to add a slight word of caution about the quality difference

Well Jorgens I am going to have to wait and see it being the my Sony S6200 died on me over the weekend! So I am in the the hunt for a new Blu ray player now to pair up with my W9. But trust me once I get a new Blu ray player it will be the first show I watch.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread